D1 Mens Lacrosse
NYlax222

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by NYlax222 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:51 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:59 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:52 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:14 pm
ctbagataway wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:20 pm Exactly. I had the same reaction to the ND "snub" in 2022. It doesn't matter how many 5 stars recruits you have on the roster, or that you won your last three games. The entire season matters. Every game. Win more games and you will make the tournament. I wouldn't change that. It can't be about using the eye test to pick the teams that you subjectively feel are playing the best at the end of the year. There has to be a value to winning big games throughout the season.
Exactly…..as for ND in 2022….it is a false equivalency until I hear Quint, Anish, Carc and lax Twitter crying about Yale or Cornell not getting in…Yale in particular. Given how it fell, hard to justify another Ivy League school getting in this year. Michigan probably has someone’s slot. Maybe even Army’s?
you are so anti-nd 2022 championship, it's crazy.
I am anti the lacrosse media whining over ND not getting an invite that season. It’s not ND….it’s the Quint, Carc and Anish among others…. “The committee didn’t include a blue blood”….it was a “club team” when I was in college.
Let’s just call them the “ball-garglers club.”
Why this anger over the '22 discussion? Yep, let's run down advocates for a sport who find it wrong that a team ranked 4th at season end - by the coaches, not the media - are left out of a 17 team tourney. Glad QK, Carc and others spoke up. Don't think that's whining, its pointing out something flawed with AQs for too many, and RPI dictating at larges.... Look at today's games - three wildly uncompetitive, fourth one (DU-UM) never really close. both Michigan and Princeton were barely Top 15 teams until they won their conference tourneys. Personally, would prefer more 'eye test', and would like to see fewer AQs, and let teams this year like Cornell, and other bubble teams in, rather than teams that weren't' Top 15 most of the year get in.
DTL94

Post by DTL94 »

I was hoping that Princeton Maryland was going to be the best game of Saturday, tough look for the Ivy League after everyone griping not enough teams got in.

I think Tillman also deserves a lot of credit; for a “down year” at Maryland they beat the crap out of a decent team in the first round and are looking dangerous at the right time.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Hooz123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:56 pm
middleAgedBear wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:34 pm
Hooz123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:28 pm Same as it ever was. Cupcake League. yawn
Haha we’ve found the ball-gargler!
Fun fact - did you know your dusty Ivy league rep got manhandled by UMD twice and Duke, the only real teams they played all year? I guess you can brag about how you beat a dusty old historically crappy UNC team. BYE BYE.
To all the trolls including the troll Hooz123 who are gloating against the Ivy League with Princeton's exit yesterday, I note that 4 Ivy League teams were in the top 14 RPI. If the tourney were chosen based upon the best teams with no AQs given, those Ivy teams would have been in. Then there's the long list of Ivy players populating tourney teams because Ivy rules precluded them from playing another year at an Ivy school. So the Ivy League is alive & well and once the transfer portal no longer has a lot of Ivy players on it, the other teams will no longer gain a benefit from the Ivy League's strict rules. So crawl back under your bridge.
UMDLAX

Post by UMDLAX »

Congratulations to Princeton on a great season and the Ivy League Championship!

For all that were all in on the Tigers after beating Yale twice......winning about 20 of 26 or so (I may be off on that number) vs the Bulldogs.....on the ILT.....funny about karma.....yesterday Maryland won 21 of 28 faceoffs. Hard to score without the darn ball.

Interesting.

Like when TD was at Yale it was make it take it.

Next thoughts......all those beating up players putting up points against "weaker" teams......do the goals still count for the players that scored goals yesterday vs Utah and St Jos?

MLB just announced they are taking away 174 of Hank Aaron's home runs because they were against poor pitchers................
DMac

Post by DMac »

Princeton only had 6 fewer shots and only 6 fewer SOG than Md.
Md was just the better and more hungry team. Had Princeton showed
up for the first half it might have been a tighter game but they didn't
and it wasn't.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:31 am Princeton only had 6 fewer shots and only 6 fewer SOG than Md.
Md was just the better and more hungry team. Had Princeton showed
up for the first half it might have been a tighter game but they didn't
and it wasn't.
Kind of looked like the start against Brown but Princeton could not dig itself out of a hole. Second half was better but game was over at halftime. It’s the little things….not playing the picks at GLE well in first half and those two goals with 1 second left on the shot clock were very impactful. Two freshmen SSDMs earned some stripes yesterday. This was the year to catch Princeton. That team should be a handful the next few years….Ironically their first midfield is playing today. I am rooting for Syracuse the rest of the tournament. Best of luck!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

McNaney and Wiernan were on fire the first half and McMeekin and Gianfcario definitely were not. Worst half I've seen Gianforcano play.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Hooz123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:28 pm Same as it ever was. Cupcake League. yawn
Fun fact - did you know your dusty Ivy league rep got manhandled by UMD twice and Duke, the only real teams they played all year? I guess you can brag about how you beat a dusty old historically crappy UNC team. BYE BYE.
Troll
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

NYlax222 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:54 am
ctbagataway wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:20 pm Exactly. I had the same reaction to the ND "snub" in 2022. It doesn't matter how many 5 stars recruits you have on the roster, or that you won your last three games. The entire season matters. Every game. Win more games and you will make the tournament. I wouldn't change that. It can't be about using the eye test to pick the teams that you subjectively feel are playing the best at the end of the year. There has to be a value to winning big games throughout the season.
Exactly…..as for ND in 2022….it is a false equivalency until I hear Quint, Anish, Carc and lax Twitter crying about Yale or Cornell not getting in…Yale in particular. Given how it fell, hard to justify another Ivy League school getting in this year. Michigan probably has someone’s slot. Maybe even Army’s?
I am anti the lacrosse media whining over ND not getting an invite that season. It’s not ND….it’s the Quint, Carc and Anish among others…. “The committee didn’t include a blue blood”….it was a “club team” when I was in college.
Why this anger over the '22 discussion? Yep, let's run down advocates for a sport who find it wrong that a team ranked 4th at season end - by the coaches, not the media - are left out of a 17 team tourney. Glad QK, Carc and others spoke up. Don't think that's whining, its pointing out something flawed with AQs for too many, and RPI dictating at larges.... Look at today's games - three wildly uncompetitive, fourth one (DU-UM) never really close. both Michigan and Princeton were barely Top 15 teams until they won their conference tourneys. Personally, would prefer more 'eye test', and would like to see fewer AQs, and let teams this year like Cornell, and other bubble teams in, rather than teams that weren't' Top 15 most of the year get in.
Not anger, just annoyance at the constant chattering and adulation of certain players.

As far as who made the tourney, to paraphrase Eddie Merckx, “win lots.” I say that as a fan of Penn. Want to dance, win more games. Simple, really.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
random observer

Post by random observer »

You have brought up ND's #4 ranking like it means anything. It doesn't. By no metric where they a top 5 team that year. Beaten comfortably by UVA and OSU. Spanked by Georgetown at home. Their only decent wins were nailbiters over a down Duke team that also missed the tourney. They were 6-4 and the only performance that even pointed towards a team that could win a tournament game was an early season LOSS to Maryland.

You ask why the anger over the '22 discussion? Because there should be no discussion. Based on the games played on the field, Notre Dame was a good but not great team in 2022. You don't hear anyone acting like this year's Cornell team was destined for Memorial Day just because they lost a close game to ND. FWIW I don't think any of the Ivy's have room to complain this year either. They had a number of good teams that came up just short of being worthy of the last at-large spot; none of them were snubbed.
Typical Lax Dad

random observer wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:25 pm
You have brought up ND's #4 ranking like it means anything. It doesn't. By no metric where they a top 5 team that year. Beaten comfortably by UVA and OSU. Spanked by Georgetown at home. Their only decent wins were nailbiters over a down Duke team that also missed the tourney. They were 6-4 and the only performance that even pointed towards a team that could win a tournament game was an early season LOSS to Maryland.

You ask why the anger over the '22 discussion? Because there should be no discussion. Based on the games played on the field, Notre Dame was a good but not great team in 2022. You don't hear anyone acting like this year's Cornell team was destined for Memorial Day just because they lost a close game to ND. FWIW I don't think any of the Ivy's have room to complain this year either. They had a number of good teams that came up just short of being worthy of the last at-large spot; none of them were snubbed.
+1. I haven’t heard many people complaining about the Ivy League not getting a second team in. I definitely did not hear any commentators ask “how can you have an NCAA tournament without the blue blood Cornell” or “blue blood” Yale? Ivy League teams didn’t take advantage of opportunities along the way. Princeton got in by the skins of their teeth after being “ranked” between 12-18 all season. Yale and Cornell were top 10 virtually the whole season and were at home. No outrage…no whining in the national media by “professionals”…no “asterisks” for the 2024 season.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Because it was incessant. Every year good teams fall on the wrong side of the bubble because of the same or similar criteria and every year there is some complaining and then the tournament starts and the focus rightfully goes on the games and the controversy is over, except for '22. The hand wringing and whining went on for a full year - all through the '22 tournament and through the '23 season and through the '23 tournament that was billed as the ND revenge tour (as if ND wouldn't have tried as hard to win if they had been awarded a bid in '22). It was ridiculous. Some even claimed that ND would have won the title in '22 (Virginia, by far the best team in the ACC in '22 got spanked by Maryland in the quarterfinals). That was the difference and that is why some get angry about the ND/'22 discussion. It never ended. Should ND have gotten in? Probably. Is there a team or two you can say the same thing about every season. Yup. Do QK and Carc and Anish complain about other teams not getting a bid beyond the few days after the bids are awarded? Nope. It was the first time I can remember an ACC or old boys network team was on the wrong end of the selection criteria and it was as if that was all Q, Carc and Anish could talk about for 13 straight months.

I thought a 2nd Ivy team could have gotten a bid this season. But I understand why they didn't. The Ivy League had 4 very good teams that were not good enough to get in when you only have 8 AL bids and another bubble team like Michigan getting the AQ. But it's over and now it's time to focus on the tournament. I doubt anyone is going to label 2025 the Cornell or Yale revenge tour seasons .
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:16 pm
Because it was incessant. Every year good teams fall on the wrong side of the bubble because of the same or similar criteria and every year there is some complaining and then the tournament starts and the focus rightfully goes on the games and the controversy is over, except for '22. The hand wringing and whining went on for a full year - all through the '22 tournament and through the '23 season and through the '23 tournament that was billed as the ND revenge tour (as if ND wouldn't have tried as hard to win if they had been awarded a bid in '22). It was ridiculous. Some even claimed that ND would have won the title in '22 (Virginia, by far the best team in the ACC in '22 got spanked by Maryland in the quarterfinals). That was the difference and that is why some get angry about the ND/'22 discussion. It never ended. Should ND have gotten in? Probably. Is there a team or two you can say the same thing about every season. Yup. Do QK and Carc and Anish complain about other teams not getting a bid beyond the few days after the bids are awarded? Nope. It was the first time I can remember an ACC or old boys network team was on the wrong end of the selection criteria and it was as if that was all Q, Carc and Anish could talk about for 13 straight months.

I thought a 2nd Ivy team could have gotten a bid this season. But I understand why they didn't. The Ivy League had 4 very good teams that were not good enough to get in when you only have 8 AL bids and another bubble team like Michigan getting the AQ. But it's over and now it's time to focus on the tournament. I doubt anyone is going to label 2025 the Cornell or Yale revenge tour seasons .
No, unfortunately, now we get to hear from the whiney lil IVy contingent for years about the "1-team '24 tournament" .... Either 6-team '22 Ivy tournament or the 1-team '24 tournament, enough with the main character syndrome. The Ivy League and their annoying fans are like the younger brother that just wants to tag along with you and get attention, always pulling your shirt from behind and complaining. lol bruh Tierney - and your relevance - left the Ivy League 25 years ago... :D
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Hooz123 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:23 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:16 pm

No, unfortunately, now we get to hear from the whiney lil IVy contingent for years about the "1-team '24 tournament" .... Either 6-team '22 Ivy tournament or the 1-team '24 tournament, enough with the main character syndrome. The Ivy League and their annoying fans are like the younger brother that just wants to tag along with you and get attention, always pulling your shirt from behind and complaining. lol bruh Tierney - and your relevance - left the Ivy League 25 years ago... :D
Once again, I doubt any Ivy fans were complaining in 2022 about RPI or the system when a whopping 6 teams got in the tournament from Ivy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

middleAgedBear wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:16 pm
Mmmm gargle gargle. Byeeeee
It's who's....nuts are on my chin...i count 123...
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:13 pm
What do you call two nuts on a wall?

What do you call two nuts on a chest?

What do you call two nuts on a chin?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:15 am
To all the trolls including the troll Hooz123 who are gloating against the Ivy League with Princeton's exit yesterday, I note that 4 Ivy League teams were in the top 14 RPI. If the tourney were chosen based upon the best teams with no AQs given, those Ivy teams would have been in. Then there's the long list of Ivy players populating tourney teams because Ivy rules precluded them from playing another year at an Ivy school. So the Ivy League is alive & well and once the transfer portal no longer has a lot of Ivy players on it, the other teams will no longer gain a benefit from the Ivy League's strict rules. So crawl back under your bridge.
Wrong song! We’re talking big state schools so they aren’t going back under the bridge, they’d go back to breaking the girl. (Let’s see who gets this)

Except PSU folks who right now have gone back to giving it away.
See Martin, Malcolm
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:17 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:15 am
Wrong song! We’re talking big state schools so they aren’t going back under the bridge, they’d go back to breaking the girl. (Let’s see who gets this)

Except PSU folks who right now have gone back to giving it away.
Red hot today...and spicy. :)

I'll see you and raise.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:15 pm
What do you call two nuts on a wall?

What do you call two nuts on a chest?

What do you call two nuts on a chin?
I don’t know this one but am excited for the punchline!
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”