Worst opening round ever?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Worst opening round ever?

Post by Henpecked »

Yesterday was a non-competitive snoozefest. Televisions were switching over to golf and basketball all around the country.

Will there be a single competitive game today? If I had to guess I would think Georgetown v Penn State has the makings of a good game. But I also thought Princeton v Maryland and Denver v Michigan would have been fun to watch.

Has the difference between the Haves and have nots widened this much? Or is this an anomaly?

One thing for sure, the committee certainly got the seeding correct by all indications.

I’d settle for one good game today. Please!!!
Hooz123

Re: Worst opening round ever?

Post by Hooz123 »

Henpecked wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:11 am Yesterday was a non-competitive snoozefest. Televisions were switching over to golf and basketball all around the country.

Will there be a single competitive game today? If I had to guess I would think Georgetown v Penn State has the makings of a good game. But I also thought Princeton v Maryland and Denver v Michigan would have been fun to watch.

Has the difference between the Haves and have nots widened this much? Or is this an anomaly?

One thing for sure, the committee certainly got the seeding correct by all indications.

Hey - remember when all the talking heads and the haters thought some scrub St. Joes team would actually have a chance to beat UVa? LOL. Hilarious....Uva gets stomped by Duke, just barely loses to Syraucse/ND by an aggregate of 3 goals, then ND curb stomps everyone en route to the ACC title and all of a sudden people think UVa sucks. What a joke.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The last 4 years with transfer portal, extra Covid years, etc. has 100% widened the gap between largely B1G/ACC and the rest.

However, things were already trending in this direction. Seeded teams were 13-3 in the tournament in 2018/19 and the unseeded teams went 0-3 against seeded teams in the quarterfinals. Compare this to the 2016/17 tournament where unseeded teams went 11-5 and two unseeded teams made the quarterfinals. An unseeded team made the QFs every year but 1 from 2010-2017; hasn’t happened since.

I think the heavy emphasis on early recruiting by some big programs meant that they missed on more recruits than they do now and there were more late bloomers who were found by smaller schools. The institution of the shot clock, also, while great for the entertainment value of the game, diminishes the chance for upsets. Fewer possessions in a game, fewer opportunities, increases the chance for volatility. An underdog could slow the game down and have a shot. Now there’s guaranteed to be more possessions in the game and more chances for the team with more talent, where they’ll always shine.

I expect it to become a *bit* more randomized and open for lesser seeded teams and maybe mid-majors in the next few years as the Covid/portal stuff winds down BUT I’m not sure we’re going to be going back to what we had from 2010-2017.

And to be fair, the opening round last year was incredible. One of the best ever. Sometimes the games just aren’t great.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:17 am The last 4 years with transfer portal, extra Covid years, etc. has 100% widened the gap between largely B1G/ACC and the rest.

However, things were already trending in this direction. Seeded teams were 13-3 in the tournament in 2018/19 and the unseeded teams went 0-3 against seeded teams in the quarterfinals. Compare this to the 2016/17 tournament where unseeded teams went 11-5 and two unseeded teams made the quarterfinals. An unseeded team made the QFs every year but 1 from 2010-2017; hasn’t happened since.

I think the heavy emphasis on early recruiting by some big programs meant that they missed on more recruits than they do now and there were more late bloomers who were found by smaller schools. The institution of the shot clock, also, while great for the entertainment value of the game, diminishes the chance for upsets. Fewer possessions in a game, fewer opportunities, increases the chance for volatility. An underdog could slow the game down and have a shot. Now there’s guaranteed to be more possessions in the game and more chances for the team with more talent, where they’ll always shine.

I expect it to become a *bit* more randomized and open for lesser seeded teams and maybe mid-majors in the next few years as the Covid/portal stuff winds down BUT I’m not sure we’re going to be going back to what we had from 2010-2017.

And to be fair, the opening round last year was incredible. One of the best ever. Sometimes the games just aren’t great.
there have obviously been some advantages that certain schools have, wouldn't say we're in a new direction that's permanent though. the portal subsiding some and covid years ending will have effects, most likely.

i believe you meant an unseeded team made the ff? not quarters in all but 2013 from 2010-2017. and there were a few of those that are now part of b1g/acc.

early recruiting... the true 4 year senior class is this year's last for that. so prior and with 5th years playing, the majority of the players prior to 2024 that were on the field were open to early recruiting, or full of it say in 2021. and the 1st round is only half over. and denver just mushed michigan, who handled the b1g a week ago.

it wasn't too long ago that people were saying this is the craziest, most unpredictable year ever. anybody's ballgame. now, a few weeks later it's notre dame's to lose. squads like army maybe just need to do a better job scheduling (long time issue). and others.

then there's all the "generational" guys that are done in 2024, and lots of 5th years. guessing it'll be more wide open next year.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Henpecked wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:11 am Yesterday was a non-competitive snoozefest. Televisions were switching over to golf and basketball all around the country.

All of my games were on espnU in full length. No switching. That said, I get your point, the games were not competitive. Hopefully, we'll have an upset (here's looking at you UAlbany) or two in the late games today. (Not the 1st game of the day!)
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:55 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:17 am The last 4 years with transfer portal, extra Covid years, etc. has 100% widened the gap between largely B1G/ACC and the rest.

there have obviously been some advantages that certain schools have, wouldn't say we're in a new direction that's permanent though. the portal subsiding some and covid years ending will have effects, most likely.

i believe you meant an unseeded team made the ff? not quarters in all but 2013 from 2010-2017. and there were a few of those that are now part of b1g/acc.

early recruiting... the true 4 year senior class is this year's last for that. so prior and with 5th years playing, the majority of the players prior to 2024 that were on the field were open to early recruiting, or full of it say in 2021. and the 1st round is only half over. and denver just mushed michigan, who handled the b1g a week ago.

it wasn't too long ago that people were saying this is the craziest, most unpredictable year ever. anybody's ballgame. now, a few weeks later it's notre dame's to lose. squads like army maybe just need to do a better job scheduling (long time issue). and others.

then there's all the "generational" guys that are done in 2024, and lots of 5th years. guessing it'll be more wide open next year.
Yes, unseeded team made FF
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

However, things were already trending in this direction. Seeded teams were 13-3 in the tournament in 2018/19 and the unseeded teams went 0-3 against seeded teams in the quarterfinals. Compare this to the 2016/17 tournament where unseeded teams went 11-5 and two unseeded teams made the quarterfinals. An unseeded team made the FF every year but 1 from 2010-2017; hasn’t happened since.

coda

Post by coda »

Terrible opening day, but we still have today
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

El Stinko de Mayo

So glad I recorded all the games and had a great time out of doors then buzzed through most of the disappointing play later. I really thought all four had had the potential to be competitive games.

What the lame conference tournaments and first round games show are the terrible inconsistencies in play. Not a great way to grow or showcase the game.m
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hooz123 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:50 am

Hey - remember when all the talking heads and the haters thought some scrub St. Joes team would actually have a chance to beat UVa? LOL. Hilarious....Uva gets stomped by Duke, just barely loses to Syraucse/ND by an aggregate of 3 goals, then ND curb stomps everyone en route to the ACC title and all of a sudden people think UVa sucks. What a joke.
I can find over confident baller posts before the game form you like this right?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:14 pm El Stinko de Mayo

So glad I recorded all the games and had a great time out of doors then buzzed through most of the disappointing play later. I really thought all four had had the potential to be competitive games.

What the lame conference tournaments and first round games show are the terrible inconsistencies in play. Not a great way to grow or showcase the game.m
While I agree with most of this….hope to see another PL team take out JHU.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That it a tiny number of datapoints to draw the conclusions you have from. I wouldn’t put the deed of trust on your home up on the level of confidence you should have with that information as the basis. As in may as well put it all on black 8 and throw a “yo”.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Big Dog wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:58 am

All of my games were on espnU in full length. No switching. That said, I get your point, the games were not competitive. Hopefully, we'll have an upset (here's looking at you UAlbany) or two in the late games today. (Not the 1st game of the day!)
He meant folks were actively changing the channel
See Martin, Malcolm
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

2nd day and some drama. comebacks.

2 acc, 2 b1g and 2 big east at the expense of the b1g. 2 to go. be great if 1 of the 2 mid-majors can make it a game.
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:50 pm 2nd day and some drama. comebacks.

2 acc, 2 b1g and 2 big east at the expense of the b1g. 2 to go. be great if 1 of the 2 mid-majors can make it a game.
Still missing that 1 upset. Higher seeds undefeated
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:57 pm

Still missing that 1 upset
Well it ain't gonna be Albany.

Towson — our hopes and dreams travel with you.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:57 pm
coda wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:57 pm

Still missing that 1 upset
Well it ain't gonna be Albany.

Towson — our hopes and dreams travel with you.
Not so fast my friend. And Albany brings everyone back next two years too...
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”