Hobart 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
brodad

Re: Hobart 2025

Post by brodad »

Heard of three players considering transfer portal in addition to Campbell and Greene. Don’t want to mention names at this point but we’ll find out soon.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I'm not buying the domino theory. If guys go, then they go. Good luck or good riddance, depending on the case. We've had instances of addition by subtraction in the past and will continue to. Just part of sports. There are all sorts of reasons to leave, including fit, academics, home life, grass is greener, etc... Excepting Patterson, who people have said has good reasons to stay, we aren't talking about the highest impact players. Even Green, who has plenty of talent, made limited impact this year.
I go back to we have the talent on the field and on the bench. We need a psychological shift, by players AND coaches, plus some ground up strategy shifts.
I'm not defending coaches here, but players need to step up too. At this level getting out GBed is not a coaching issue. Why did I see so much freaking unsuccessful raking this year rather than box out bend knees get nose over ball and run through? That is taught and coached in 2nd grade. Same with crappy sidearm no change of plane shots to the goalies chest.
I suspect we have some practice heroes who don't perform on game day. Run a deeper bench. Let the best performer get the position. No loyalty to class year, just performance. No hard feeling if you want to try your luck elsewhere. It's a sport, not a cult.
Before people freak out ... yes, coaches take ultimate responsibility, must figure it out, adapt, improve, or take a walk. That's the nature of the beast, and Hobart pays lacrosse coaches well to do this.
I'm not concerned about the loss of a strength and conditioning coach. We'll get a new one. In the meantime, players can do what people did in the past ... figure it out for yourself or hire someone. Anyone who shows up in August out of shape just faces the consequences: either you're so good you score goals anyway (A. Love) or you get cut.
Feels like there is lots of whining in collegiate sports these days. Makes me laugh that these guys are worried about NIL. For what? To be the face of Cams pizza?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

+1 Spoke with a player's dad and he told me that there are guys that practice great but don't play that way on game day. Raymond said as much. We can criticize scheme and lack of coaching adjustments--but, I'm fairly certain that the coaching staff isn't telling guys to concede gb's or take low angle shots or throw the ball away. I chuckle when I hear comments "gripping sticks too tightly" "afraid to make mistake out of fear of getting pulled" etc. Maybe that is playing into the players heads-- it sounds more like an excuse to me. Either many of our guys don't have true D1 talent, or, the coach is putting too much pressure on them. I'd argue the latter is a byproduct of the former ;) Until we're fully funded, we're taking a knife into a gunfight..
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:28 am I'm not buying the domino theory. If guys go, then they go. Good luck or good riddance, depending on the case. We've had instances of addition by subtraction in the past and will continue to. Just part of sports. There are all sorts of reasons to leave, including fit, academics, home life, grass is greener, etc... Excepting Patterson, who people have said has good reasons to stay, we aren't talking about the highest impact players. Even Green, who has plenty of talent, made limited impact this year.
I go back to we have the talent on the field and on the bench. We need a psychological shift, by players AND coaches, plus some ground up strategy shifts.
I'm not defending coaches here, but players need to step up too. At this level getting out GBed is not a coaching issue. Why did I see so much freaking unsuccessful raking this year rather than box out bend knees get nose over ball and run through? That is taught and coached in 2nd grade. Same with crappy sidearm no change of plane shots to the goalies chest.
I suspect we have some practice heroes who don't perform on game day. Run a deeper bench. Let the best performer get the position. No loyalty to class year, just performance. No hard feeling if you want to try your luck elsewhere. It's a sport, not a cult.
Before people freak out ... yes, coaches take ultimate responsibility, must figure it out, adapt, improve, or take a walk. That's the nature of the beast, and Hobart pays lacrosse coaches well to do this.
I'm not concerned about the loss of a strength and conditioning coach. We'll get a new one. In the meantime, players can do what people did in the past ... figure it out for yourself or hire someone. Anyone who shows up in August out of shape just faces the consequences: either you're so good you score goals anyway (A. Love) or you get cut.
Feels like there is lots of whining in collegiate sports these days. Makes me laugh that these guys are worried about NIL. For what? To be the face of Cams pizza?
I hear the real cherry endorsement money is if you can get hooked into the discount liquor barn on 5 & 20.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri May 10, 2024 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

brodad wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:32 am Heard of three players considering transfer portal in addition to Campbell and Greene. Don’t want to mention names at this point but we’ll find out soon.
I’m not mentioning anymore because they aren’t public. But I heard 4 more. And good ones.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:15 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:28 am I'm not buying the domino theory. If guys go, then they go. Good luck or good riddance, depending on the case. We've had instances of addition by subtraction in the past and will continue to. Just part of sports. There are all sorts of reasons to leave, including fit, academics, home life, grass is greener, etc... Excepting Patterson, who people have said has good reasons to stay, we aren't talking about the highest impact players. Even Green, who has plenty of talent, made limited impact this year.
I hear the real cherry endorsement money is if you can get hooked into the discount liquor barn on 5 & 20.
:lol: You can get your image on a bottle of Bully Hill I Love My Goat wine.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Laxbro19 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:19 pm
brodad wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:32 am Heard of three players considering transfer portal in addition to Campbell and Greene. Don’t want to mention names at this point but we’ll find out soon.
I’m not mentioning anymore because they aren’t public. But I heard 4 more. And good ones.
7 trying their luck? Have a good time on that trip to Greece with your buddies. TP is a risk. What coach wants to put faith in a guy who hit the portal? What teammate puts faith in them? Serious questions. I'm old, so my mentality may be stuck in the past.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:57 pm
7 trying their luck? Have a good time on that trip to Greece with your buddies. TP is a risk. What coach wants to put faith in a guy who hit the portal? What teammate puts faith in them? Serious questions. I'm old, so my mentality may be stuck in the past.
Agreed. You go to portal you are done. Goodbye. No Greece. There is no coming back.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hard to get is due their heads but five football starters went into the portal, for d3 football that Kevin hasn’t maintain at Craggs level, and I believe they are all returning. Speaks to needing new ways to motivate kids if they have no sense of loyalty to a team or unit.
See Martin, Malcolm
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Biting my tongue out of fear that I make another "generational" type comment, but c'mon...we're 4-9 and SEVEN players think they can make an impact elsewhere? Perhaps Raymond has told them that they're not going to contribute, or they will go D2 or D3? Laxbro stating that they're "..good ones" makes me wonder what's up in Geneva..
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:45 pm
Biting my tongue out of fear that I make another "generational" type comment, but c'mon...we're 4-9 and SEVEN players think they can make an impact elsewhere? Perhaps Raymond has told them that they're not going to contribute, or they will go D2 or D3? Laxbro stating that they're "..good ones" makes me wonder what's up in Geneva..
Blow things up and start over again.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

You dont leave if you are playing, good culture and a chance to win. So if someone who saw the field a lot or obviously would see the field a lot leaves, then its one or both of the other two. For me, losing a starter is ok if the player just doesnt like the sport or its a bad fit and their are homesick etc. but it better be because of that.

Last thought - I was at 3 games this year and it’s clear that we play people that should not be playing D1 lacrosse. And if I were a player not playing and saw those kids getting on the field in front of me, the message i would get is that the coaches think I suck. So either I quit because I suck, I try my luck at a different D1 school where the coach sees my potential or I try my luck at D2/D3 to see if I can compete at that level. The challenge of course if you aren’t contributing then who would want you. Unless a coach already knows you or your club coach or your high school coach or a sibling. So it’s a risky proposition. Which makes me even more concerned with hearing so many are thinking of leaving. I do get it though - Raymond is a tough coach to play for - he is a drill Sargent and is king of Geneva and he doesnt care how knows that.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I really wonder if Raymond et al are aware of the players possibly hitting the portal? Does anyone think it's come up in the end of season conversations?

Kind of sad that the 1st round of D 1 playoff games hasn't been played and we're on page 9 of our 2025 season thread.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Wow, I went away for a few days and seems like there is a lot of action! Seems like some conversations must have already happened if word is getting out. I am not sure if the players have to tell their coach or not? I guess we will find out over the next few weeks or month. What does everything think about St Joe’s chances? They looked really strong the entire second half and I am thinking they have a shot at winning a game or two.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:23 pm
Blow things up and start over again.
Boy the transition from Hanna with someone else making the election in 2014 is when we should’ve blown it up.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbro19 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:24 pm
You dont leave if you are playing, good culture and a chance to win. So if someone who saw the field a lot or obviously would see the field a lot leaves, then its one or both of the other two. For me, losing a starter is ok if the player just doesnt like the sport or its a bad fit and their are homesick etc. but it better be because of that.

Last thought - I was at 3 games this year and it’s clear that we play people that should not be playing D1 lacrosse. And if I were a player not playing and saw those kids getting on the field in front of me, the message i would get is that the coaches think I suck. So either I quit because I suck, I try my luck at a different D1 school where the coach sees my potential or I try my luck at D2/D3 to see if I can compete at that level. The challenge of course if you aren’t contributing then who would want you. Unless a coach already knows you or your club coach or your high school coach or a sibling. So it’s a risky proposition. Which makes me even more concerned with hearing so many are thinking of leaving. I do get it though - Raymond is a tough coach to play for - he is a drill Sargent and is king of Geneva and he doesnt care how knows that.
Apparently you haven’t heard how Kevin DeWall tells his kids annually how he passed the mcats in 2000….lot of BDE for a small pond.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 pm
Laxbro19 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:24 pm

Apparently you haven’t heard how Kevin DeWall tells his kids annually how he passed the mcats in 2000….lot of BDE for a small pond.
Hahaha - true words here!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

We need to follow the St Joe’s roster makeup, especially on offense: size, athleticism, some speed & several Canucks.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:05 pm We need to follow the St Joe’s roster makeup, especially on offense: size, athleticism, some speed & several Canucks.
This is always delicate (and even though I mess with him for coming here and telling us how to run our program I do like laxbuck) but…

Hayes McGinkey and Steve Rastivo would never have been admitted into Geneva. Richie LaCakandria wouldn’t either. Certainly some would but they have a roster that reflect admissions policy (strategy) institution wide. We get David bigger and Henry Mann instead. (Good students just shy on some aspects for the game of being awesome)

This is part of our challenge. Couple of good teams that can be really wide open (see jacksonville) and a couple of newer programs that maybe we’re peers 20yrs ago but we’ve skipped and don’t have the academic profile of such as Villanova, Bucknell, Richmond, Boston U. 20 spots ago in USNWR. Not a excuse or defense ever but that’s how the landscape changing (along with AQ rules forcing us to get thrown out of PL long ago) are fare bigger obstacles than the lack of scholarships over the last 15yrs/.

Plus a bunch of idiotic self inflicted wounds from endowment to D3 nonsense to ncaa sanctions to NYT/Anna. If we can’t turn this thing around in the next 10-15yrs a bit that will be the lions share of the examiners report on its death.

While it’s declining to some degree I think we should make a heavy focus on reservation kids. Just keep bringing Tanner John’s in. I’m sure you think they should all be on their own but it’s not a hard sell to provide education to Na kids (I like it resonantly), it’s sort of our background. Just keep grabbing as many Tanner John’s and Mike Lazores in. Those two I feel like we got their worst case scenario for various reasons but had potential for so much more.
See Martin, Malcolm
cooperstef

Post by cooperstef »

Levi Anderson is a bottom feeder merchant. He's not playing Bonnie's and it's evident. Another St. Joes regular season stud turned playoff dud. Love to see it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”