Liberty League 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
STICKIT

Re: Liberty League 2024

Post by STICKIT »

It does not make sense to me. Apparently this was decided before the LL tournament.
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

billyosier wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:09 pm LL 2024 Lacrosse Awards are out:

Offensive Player of the Year: Judge Murphy, Senior, Attack, St. Lawrence University
Defensive Player of the Year: Michael Grace, Senior, Defense, Rochester Institute of Technology
Rookie of the Year: Daniel Mahoney, Attack, St. Lawrence University
Coaching Staff of the Year: St. Lawrence University – Head Coach Mike Mahoney; Assistant Coaches Tom Ryan and John O’Connor

First Team
A-Clifford Gaston, Jr., RIT
A-Judge Murphy, Sr., St. Lawrence
A-Luke Murphy, Gr., RPI
M-Zach Davis, Sr., Union
M-John Mozrall, Gr., RIT
M-Matt Reilly, Sr., Clarkson
LSM- John Sula, So., Union
SSM-Patrick Reilly, Jr., Union
SSM- Caleb Torres, Jr., St. Lawrence
FO-Matthew Paolatto, Sr., Union
D-Tripp Clark, Sr., St. Lawrence
D-Mike Grace, Sr., RIT
D-Caleb Oswari, Sr., RPI
G- Joseph Perry, Jr., RPI

Second Team
A-Jake Erickson, Gr., RIT
A-Brian Gonsalves, Jr., Skidmore
A-Peter Kip, Sr., Union
A-Luke Pilcher, Gr., RIT
M-Seth Grottenthaler, Sr., RIT
M-Sean Smith, So., RPI
M-Bobby Wells, Jr., St. Lawrence
LSM-Ty Stanek, Jr., RPI
SSM- David Koffler, So., Skidmore
SSM- Caiden Perry, Sr., RIT
FO-Paddy Condon, Jr., St. Lawrence
FO-Angelo Venuto, Sr., RPI
D-Solomon Hess, Sr., Vassar
D-Matt Szwagulinski, Sr., Clarkson
D-Tanner Winkelmann, Gr., RIT
G- Michael Marinello, Jr., St. Lawrence

Honorable Mention
A-Ben Hutchinson, Sr., St. Lawrence
M-Zach Swanson, Sr., RPI
FO-Allyn French, Gr., RIT
D-Alex Bechard, Sr., St. Lawrence
D-Shaine Luzietti, So., Union
G-Dan Donahue, Sr., Union
G-Alex Zborowski, So., RIT

https://libertyleagueathletics.com/news ... wards.aspx

That first team is dangerous...
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

RIT middies...

John Mozrall - 28 pts - 1st Team
Seth Grottenthaler - 35 pts - 2nd Team
Kaden Brunson - 39 pts - no award

Hmmm
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Low2high22 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:25 pm That first team is dangerous...
+1
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
ergit

Post by ergit »

EasyRider wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:52 pm RIT middies...

Hmmm
Points don’t always tell the whole story. There are lots of deserving players on different teams but a limited number of honours to go around.
CTLaxFan15

Post by CTLaxFan15 »

STICKIT wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:59 pm It does not make sense to me. Apparently this was decided before the LL tournament.
Not sure why Mahoney winning Coach of the Year is a head scratcher. If the award was decided before the Semis there is no reason he shouldn't win, picked 4th in preseason (go back to beginning of this thread, SLU is 4 in a lot of fan picks), co-regular season champs, big national wins at Mustang Classic, potential D3 Offensive POY - 1st team AA attackman, not sure why the hate, it's been a great year for the Saints.

Now RPI definitely has a case and should be winner for Coach of the Year if it was indeed decided after the tourney. The team that breaks the RIT LL Champs streak should win all the awards.
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

CTLaxFan15 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:11 pm
STICKIT wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:59 pm It does not make sense to me. Apparently this was decided before the LL tournament.
Not sure why Mahoney winning Coach of the Year is a head scratcher. If the award was decided before the Semis there is no reason he shouldn't win, picked 4th in preseason (go back to beginning of this thread, SLU is 4 in a lot of fan picks), co-regular season champs, big national wins at Mustang Classic, potential D3 Offensive POY - 1st team AA attackman, not sure why the hate, it's been a great year for the Saints.

Now RPI definitely has a case and should be winner for Coach of the Year if it was indeed decided after the tourney. The team that breaks the RIT LL Champs streak should win all the awards.
In that case then I feel like they should release these awards before the postseason. Additionally, then how would RIT ever get COY because they are always picked to finish 1st?
MistaRello

Post by MistaRello »

ergit wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:29 pm

Hmmm
Points don’t always tell the whole story. There are lots of deserving players on different teams but a limited number of honours to go around.
I understand points or stats are not the entire story, but DPOY is a head scratcher. I watched LL champ and did not see Grace on the field 100% of the time. Grace did not win defender of the week once.

Conference stats for defenders
Grace - 3g (all in the Vassar game), 2a, 32 gb, 6 cto for 1 to. His stats looked the best from non-conference games.
Oswari - 1g, 3a, 38 gb, 21 cto for 8 to
Clark - 0g, 0a, 33 gb, 19 cto for 8 to
Sula - 0g, 1a, 24gb, 6 cto for 2 to

Was Grace that much better 1 on 1 than Oswari? Perry did not have the best goalie stats in the league, but you could almost make the argument he was the Most Valuable Player to any team in the league.
ergit

Post by ergit »

MistaRello wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:12 am

Hmmm
I understand points or stats are not the entire story, but DPOY is a head scratcher. I watched LL champ and did not see Grace on the field 100% of the time. Grace did not win defender of the week once.

Grace - 3g (all in the Vassar game), 2a, 32 gb, 6 cto for 1 to. His stats looked the best from non-conference games.

Was Grace that much better 1 on 1 than Oswari? Perry did not have the best goalie stats in the league, but you could almost make the argument he was the Most Valuable Player to any team in the league.
I can’t argue convincingly one way or another but as I would assume the All-Conference teams were picked by the coaches, they probably know what they are talking about game planning for opposing defences week in and week out..

Your first post on this forum, welcome…
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

Hmmm

It’s because he plays for RIT
STICKIT

Post by STICKIT »

CTLaxFan15, let me clarify my comment. I believe St Lawrence Coaches earned COY recognition if based on the regular season only. If, however, LL tournament play is included, then I would think RPI coaches should have received the recognition. Also, I have no hate for St. Lawrence or their coaches and think they are an outstanding team and hope they have a great NCAA tourney run.
MistaRello

Post by MistaRello »

ergit wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:31 am

Hmmm

I can’t argue convincingly one way or another but as I would assume the All-Conference teams were picked by the coaches, they probably know what they are talking about game planning for opposing defences week in and week out..

Your first post on this forum, welcome…
Grace was a first team All-American last year. You do not go from a first team All-American one year to not getting recognized in future years, his season was statistically better last year and in the 5 RIT games I watched, I did not see DPOY. It is just a gripe with how the award system works year over year.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

...the hate?

Both coaching staffs and teams have been great - assume everyone can agree on that.

The difference for me is:
  1. RPI had a more pronounced turnaround from 2023 to 2024 (they were 9-7 last season, with losses to MIT, Hamilton, and Coast Guard).
  2. Best start (and likely the best season) in program history for RPI vs. a very good season for St. Lawrence, but ultimately a place they often find themselves in; 12-14 wins and near the top of the LL.
  3. Most straightforward (and most subjectively)...have been more impressed with RPI when I've watched both teams play. Their ability to lock in when games get tight and regroup/adjust/overcome when they face deficits really stands out.
This is all subjective obviously - just my reasoning.
Bridgerbowl

Post by Bridgerbowl »

ah23 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:05 pm

...the hate?

Both coaching staffs and teams have been great - assume everyone can agree on that.

1. RPI had a more pronounced turnaround from 2023 to 2024 (they were 9-7 last season, with losses to MIT, Hamilton, and Coast Guard).
  2. Best start (and likely the best season) in program history for RPI vs. a very good season for St. Lawrence, but ultimately a place they often find themselves in; 12-14 wins and near the top of the LL.
  3. Most straightforward (and most subjectively)...have been more impressed with RPI when I've watched both teams play. Their ability to lock in when games get tight and regroup/adjust/overcome when they face deficits really stands out.
DId you watch either of the two slu rpi games? first one was never close and second was dominated by goalies with a handful of pipes early, could've gone either way
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

Bridgerbowl wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:40 pm

...the hate?

DId you watch either of the two slu rpi games? first one was never close and second was dominated by goalies with a handful of pipes early, could've gone either way
St Lawrence fan sounds salty. St Lawrence got beat when it counts.

This is officially RPIs most win in a season. RPIs coaching staff probably should have won, got hurt by having their worst games at the end of the regular season.
MistaRello

Post by MistaRello »

Bridgerbowl wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:40 pm

...the hate?

I am pretty sure the first SLU / RPI game Perry was not having his best game. 12g in the first half on 18 sog. SLU got 30 shots in the first half and 9 shots for 3 goals in the second half. Any type of adjustment a coach does to make shots go from 30 to 9 is pretty solid.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Bridgerbowl wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:40 pm DId you watch either of the two slu rpi games? first one was never close and second was dominated by goalies with a handful of pipes early, could've gone either way
Not really, only saw a bit of the second one. Regardless. those are only two games (that the teams split!) in a long year. Again, both teams had/are having great seasons. Just think one stands out more.
FosterLax3

Post by FosterLax3 »

...the hate?

In terms of Liberty League play, SLU has actually had a better bounce-back year from 2023 than RPI did. In '23, the Saints ended the LL regular season 3-4 and in 5th after losing to Union, RPI, RIT and Clarkson in the regular season. RPI was 6-1 and in second at the end of the '23 LL regular season. Again, assuming this award was voted on prior to the semis this year, I think this is why Coach Mahoney and SLU got the award over RPI.

I do agree with the sentiment that this does not matter all too much in the grand scheme of things but just wanted to throw out that point. I think the RPI coaching staff will take the LL title of being named coaching staff of the year 100 times out of 100 so highly doubt they're losing sleep over this.
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

Coaches vote for the awards. Part of the reason COY goes to Mahoney over SDH could be that 1 guy is a good dude and well liked and the other guy is a d-bag. Maybe?
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

What are the LL's best out of conference wins this year?

RIT over Tufts has got to be the top pick. Then what? SLU over CNU? Union and RPI over Midd? Others I'm missing?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”