Voting

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Voting

Post by a fan »

Adding to my ever-growing list of "told ya so....." and "careful what you ask for...."

The Republicans in power have found out in 2024 that making voting difficult and telling their base that mail-in leads to fraud is backfiring in a big way.

Old people and the working class...you know, the supposed Republican base.......need mail-ins to make voting easier. Shocker, I know.

In other news, 1+1=2.

THIS is why Republican States don't make voter ID mandatory. Told ya. They could give a sh(t about "election security". They are LYING when they tell voters that our elections are insecure, and that it's key to show ID to cast a vote. The board's Republicans didn't believe me. Bet they do now (naaah, they'll double down)

And right on cue, the R's changed their pitch about mail-in voting as consultants point out to leadership how math works. :roll:

Personally, I hope this distrust of elections is generational, and we see the Republican party pay the price for outright lying about voter fraud at the behest of Trump.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/conser ... il-program
youthathletics

Re: Voting

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:06 pm Prescient.....

https://x.com/amuse/status/1788028272946614387
Wanna wager whether or not TeamTinFoil turns on this election denier if Biden wins in that County? Already posted you a story where a TrumpElectionDenier was shocked, shocked I tells ya, to find that when he ran for office to run his county's elections, that TeamTinfoil immediately concluded that he was in on the conspiracy to throw elections, and started threatening him.

I need some new steak knives if you're game.

Please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Keep telling America our elections are fraudulent, since you and your party are unable to consider that playing this game might install far lefties into power. And by then, it will be too late to tell everyone that you were all lying your **sses off, and know perfectly well that our elections are, and have been, running perfectly fine for decades now.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 pm

Wanna wager whether or not TeamTinFoil turns on this election denier if Biden wins in that County? Already posted you a story where a TrumpElectionDenier was shocked, shocked I tells ya, to find that when he ran for office to run his county's elections, that TeamTinfoil immediately concluded that he was in on the conspiracy to throw elections, and started threatening him.

Please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Keep telling America our elections are fraudulent, since you and your party are unable to consider that playing this game might install far lefties into power. And by then, it will be too late to tell everyone that you were all lying your **sses off, and know perfectly well that our elections are, and have been, running perfectly fine for decades now.
Any comment on what the judge is arguing….setting aside your partisan Teflon Hat? 😉
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

The Dems win. ...cue the dancing drop boxes & the community organizer bundlers.

Who needs voter ID. REAL ID makes it too hard for illegal aliens to vote.

As they say in NASCAR -- if you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:29 pm The Dems win. ...cue the dancing drop boxes & the community organizer bundlers.

Who needs voter ID. REAL ID makes it too hard for illegal aliens to vote.
FIRST ON FOX: Conservative groups are launching the crucial swing state of Pennsylvania's largest ever vote-by-mail program with a massive multimillion-dollar investment aimed at turning out conservative voters on more than just Election Day.

The effort is being led by three conservative PACs — the Republican State Leadership Committee (RSLC) PAC, the Keystone Renewal PAC and The Sentinel Action Fund — and will be backed by a "historic" eight-figure investment that they say will put Republicans in a strong position to challenge Democrats' advantage when it comes to voting by mail.

"RSLC's significant investment in the early and absentee voting process in 2023 was a key component of our successes in crucial battleground districts. We have the blueprint and, thanks to this historic investment, we are now prepared to build on that success," RSLC PAC President Dee Duncan told Fox News Digital.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:16 pm

Any comment on what the judge is arguing….setting aside your partisan Teflon Hat? 😉
Already commented, and you refused the wager. None of these complaints are real, and there isn't a single Republican anywhere in America with an IQ above room temperature who honestly believes that we have election problems anywhere in America.

I could better spend my time debating a flat Earther than to get an adult Republican to admit out loud that they admit that yep, our elections are running just fine.

How many more decades of this stuff are you guys going to play this stupid game? You don't care about election security, and never have. If you did, as I've told OS 1,000 times now....all of the 23 Republican controlled States would force everyone to vote in person, ID in hand.

Not one of you has done that. You're all lying your ***es off with this stuff.

If I thought your team was cheating using mail in? I'd flip the F out, and DEMAND in person voting, ID in hand, and wouldn't let up until that was the law.

You guys can't even muster the energy to PRETEND to care about election security, outside of whining about it.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Once again, this is YA working -- deliberately or unwittingly, hard to say -- on the principal GOP agenda item for 2024: sowing distrust with our electoral process and institutions.

For a party deliberately without a platform, and taken over from basement to penthouse by the Trump family, the Big Lie has become the central vow of the belief system: elections are fraudulent if we don't win them. The Post article below calls it "somewhat of a litmus test" among Republicans. It is much more than that; it is basic orthodoxy now. The corrosive effect of this will last for generations, and I am doubtful that this toothpaste can ever go back in the tube:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/election ... n-results/

"Top Republicans, led by former president Donald Trump, are refusing to commit to accept November’s election results with six months until voters head to the polls, raising concerns that the country could see a repeat of the violent aftermath of Trump’s loss four years ago.

Cut through the 2024 election noise. Get The Campaign Moment newsletter.
The question has become something of a litmus test, particularly among the long list of possible running mates for Trump, whose relationship with his first vice president, Mike Pence, ruptured because Pence resisted Trump’s pressure to overturn the 2020 election.

In a vivid recent example, Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) was pressed at least six times in a TV interview Sunday on whether he would accept this November’s results. He repeatedly declined to do so, only saying he was looking forward to Trump being president again.

He continued to evade the question even as the interviewer, NBC News’s Kristen Welker, reminded him that a “hallmark of our democracy is that both candidates agree to a peaceful transfer of power.”

“This is why so many Americans believe that NBC is an extension of the Democrat party at the end of the day,” Scott said at one point. “… I believe that President Trump will be our next president. It’s that simple.”

The refusal to commit to accept elections results is “deeply concerning,” said Steven Levitsky, a government professor at Harvard University who studies democracy around the world. “Accepting the results of elections is in effect the cardinal rule of democracy. It is the first rule of democratic politics. If a major party is not willing to accept defeat in elections, democracy cannot be stable.”

Trump’s push to overturn the 2020 election — and his conduct around the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol — is now at the center of two of the four criminal cases that he faces as he undertakes a comeback campaign.

During the attack, a mob of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol as Congress was counting electoral votes. About 140 police officers were assaulted during the rioting, which led to criminal charges against over 1,200 people. Pence in particular appeared to be in danger, as Trump supporters rushed the Capitol chanting, “Hang Mike Pence.” A House committee later heard testimony that Trump indicated support for the chants.

Trump has continued to falsely claim that the 2020 election was rigged and that he won states that he did not win, such as Wisconsin.

Trump also has suggested he may not accept the results of the next election, including in an interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that was published last week.

“If everything’s honest, I’ll gladly accept the results. I don’t change on that,” Trump told the newspaper. “If it’s not, you have to fight for the right of the country.”

Furthermore, in recent interviews with Time magazine, Trump did not rule out the possibility of political violence if he loses again. While he said he did not think there would be violence, he added that it “always depends on the fairness of the election.”

And in a TV interview Tuesday with a Pennsylvania station, Trump downplayed the events of Jan. 6, said he did not regret disputing the 2020 election results and urged people to “follow your heart” in challenging elections.

President Biden, in an interview with CNN aired Wednesday night, said that if he wins the November election, Trump will not admit defeat.

“You can’t only love your country when you’re winning,” Biden said, adding: “He may not accept the outcome of the election. I promise you he won’t.”

“I think the potential for another Jan. 6 is there,” Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.), who chaired the House select committee that examined the attack on the Capitol, told CBS News this week. “The majority of the people who orchestrated Jan. 6 are now saying, in so many words, ‘I’m not certain that I will accept the findings of the 2024 election.’”

Trump has made the recent comments while facing little pushback from Republicans in Congress or those potentially angling to be his running mate.

North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, in a TV interview Sunday, dodged a question about Trump’s comments on political violence. Burgum, like Scott, declined to contemplate a scenario in which the former president loses and said he was “looking forward to next January, when Vice President Harris certifies the election for Donald Trump.”

The White House has emphasized that Biden will accept the 2024 results, while his reelection campaign has repeatedly criticized Trump and his allies for continuing to sow doubt about the legitimacy of elections in America.

“Donald Trump’s last Vice President barely escaped the violent mob on January 6 and now refuses to endorse him because he understands the threat that Donald Trump poses to our democracy — so Trump is looking for an even more extreme MAGA sidekick in 2024,” Biden campaign spokesperson Ammar Moussa said in a statement.

Polling shows voters — especially Republicans — are far from confident in American democracy as the next presidential election nears. A Quinnipiac University survey from March found that voters were almost evenly divided on whether they thought the U.S. system of democracy was working, with a large majority of Republicans saying it was not.

Asked how confident they were that votes will be counted accurately in November, two-thirds of voters overall said they were “very” or “somewhat” confident. That number dropped to 45 percent among Republicans.

Election denialism continues to permeate the national GOP, which went through a Trump-backed takeover earlier this year.

The Washington Post reported in March that those applying for jobs at the Republican National Committee were asked in job interviews if they thought the 2020 election was stolen. And more recently, the RNC’s top lawyer, Charlie Spies, resigned amid a rift with Trump over Spies’s past criticism of Trump, including over his false claims about the 2020 election.

“Great news for the Republican Party,” Trump said Sunday on his Truth Social platform. “RINO lawyer Charlie Spies is out as Chief Counsel of the RNC. I wish him well!”

The GOP’s desire to appease Trump’s fixation on 2020 now appears to loom over his search for a running mate. He has talked about having many options and is expected to make a decision closer to the Republican National Convention, which is scheduled for mid-July.

Trump has singled out Scott as an especially helpful rival turned surrogate, joking that he has made a better case for Trump than he ever did for himself.

Scott and Burgum are not the only possible Trump running mates who have evaded questions about the potential aftermath of the 2024 election. Rep. Elise Stefanik (N.Y.), the No. 4 Republican in the House, would not commit in January to voting to certify the 2024 results as a member of Congress.

“We will see if this is a legal and valid election,” Stefanik told NBC News, citing efforts that were pending at the time to remove Trump from the primary ballot in a handful of states over his role in the Jan. 6 attack.

The Supreme Court has since sided with Trump, allowing him to remain on the ballot.

Another potential Trump vice-presidential candidate, Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.), declined in March to say whether he would certify the 2028 election results if he were vice president.

“If you have state officials who are violating the election law in their states … then no, I would not,” Donalds said at an Axios event.

Some of the possible vice-presidential candidates have previously taken positions at odds with Trump’s push to overturn the 2020 election. Scott, for example, voted in the Senate to certify the 2020 results — hours after the Jan. 6 attack — and said during a presidential primary debate last year that Pence “absolutely” did the right thing on Jan. 6.

Michael K. Miller, a political science professor at George Washington University who studies democracy, said Republicans like Scott are “clearly angling to be the VP, so they need to adopt the preferred rhetoric of Trump.” Regardless of whether they believe what they are saying, Miller added, “it’s very corrosive to democracy.”

“This is how democracies break down,” Miller said, later adding, “It’s such a low bar to say, ‘Yeah, the election is free and fair,’ or, ‘I will obey the results of the election.’ … You don’t deserve credit for not committing a crime.”

Asked last week about Trump’s refusal to promise to accept the election results, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said Biden is “committed to the rule of law and protecting American democracy,” reiterating he “will accept the will of the American people.”

Moussa, the Biden campaign spokesperson, said Trump is looking for a running mate who will provide “unquestioned loyalty and allegiance to Trump and his lies, revenge, and retribution over the American people.”

“Thankfully the American people rejected Trump’s MAGA extremism in 2020,” Moussa said, “and will do so again this November.”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:04 pm

Already commented, and you refused the wager. None of these complaints are real, and there isn't a single Republican anywhere in America with an IQ above room temperature who honestly believes that we have election problems anywhere in America.

I could better spend my time debating a flat Earther than to get an adult Republican to admit out loud that they admit that yep, our elections are running just fine.

How many more decades of this stuff are you guys going to play this stupid game? You don't care about election security, and never have. If you did, as I've told OS 1,000 times now....all of the 23 Republican controlled States would force everyone to vote in person, ID in hand.

If I thought your team was cheating using mail in? I'd flip the F out, and DEMAND in person voting, ID in hand, and wouldn't let up until that was the law.

You guys can't even muster the energy to PRETEND to care about election security, outside of whining about it.
Its hard to have a new thread and conversation, when your only goal is stick it to anyone that you perceive as an adversary, politically speaking. And, what value is a wager with you, seems you are more concerned with being right, rather than a discussion.

My argument is the same, BOTH SIDES have, and do fuss rather well, about voter fraud, you avoid that and want to pin it on R's; that is just weak sauce. Once you can view that there is a common theme of fussing by both sides, then maybe we can have a discussion how best to solve it...or just accept that it is perfect... according to you ;)
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:57 am
a fan wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:04 pm

Its hard to have a new thread and conversation, when your only goal is stick it to anyone that you perceive as an adversary, politically speaking. And, what value is a wager with you, seems you are more concerned with being right, rather than a discussion.
We already discussed this. If you want to pretend that these claims of voter fraud aren't largely coming from your party? Okay.

Want to spread the blame to D's? Great. Cite D's doing this. And i'll give you the same response.

My opinion is: none of you are serious about voter fraud. You're all lying that you care. That's my opinion. Our elections are fine.

Edit to add: the title of the thread is "voting". This can include a mess of things, not the least of which is the Republicans paying the price for telling their base for ten years that elections are rigged, and absentee voting is inherently corrupt.

The R consultants are trying to tell R leaders to STFU with this stuff because in close elections, telling your base that voting is pointless because it's rigged is a moronic "strategy". More of your party paying the price for Trumpism.

It's real simple, YA. If Trump loses, no matter what anyone does anywhere about making our election systems flawless? You guys are going to claim it's rigged.

Knowing this, why the F would anyone lift a finger to make election deniers happy? The ONLY thing that will make deniers happy is a Trump win. And even then, they're hand us the line that they think covered their tracks: "Trump won DESPITE election fraud". Which is obviously an idiotic claim to make. Like their adversaries are going to rig the election, and let Trump win. :roll:
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Who is dumb enough to keep falling for this bs?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... legal-imm/

Republicans are already blaming a potential loss in 2024 on illegal voters. On Wednesday, Speaker Johnson and other Trump Republicans held a press conference to promote their new bill to make it illegal for people who are not U.S. citizens to vote in federal elections.

This is a political stunt: It is already illegal for noncitizens to vote in federal elections, and there is no evidence that this is happening. In 2017, Trump created a commission to root out the illegal voting he claimed had affected the 2016 election; less than a year later, he disbanded it when it could find no evidence of his claims. Johnson admitted there was no evidence of voting by undocumented immigrants when he told reporters: "We all know, intuitively, that a lot of illegals are voting in federal elections. But it's not been something that is easily provable. We don't have that number."
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

CU88a wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:03 am Who is dumb enough to keep falling for this bs?

Republicans are already blaming a potential loss in 2024 on illegal voters. On Wednesday, Speaker Johnson and other Trump Republicans held a press conference to promote their new bill to make it illegal for people who are not U.S. citizens to vote in federal elections.

This is a political stunt: It is already illegal for noncitizens to vote in federal elections, and there is no evidence that this is happening. In 2017, Trump created a commission to root out the illegal voting he claimed had affected the 2016 election; less than a year later, he disbanded it when it could find no evidence of his claims. Johnson admitted there was no evidence of voting by undocumented immigrants when he told reporters: "We all know, intuitively, that a lot of illegals are voting in federal elections. But it's not been something that is easily provable. We don't have that number."
If you visit the inferno site once known as Twitter, you can see numerous GOP Senators and Congressmen/-women and their flacks talking about this, filling their readers and followers with anger and angst about "illegals voting for Democrat Joe Biden." Their communication strategy is a three-letter word: L-I-E.

This is just a consequence of replacement theory running amok among the idiot class.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:49 am
CU88a wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:03 am Who is dumb enough to keep falling for this bs?

If you visit the inferno site once known as Twitter, you can see numerous GOP Senators and Congressmen/-women and their flacks talking about this, filling their readers and followers with anger and angst about "illegals voting for Democrat Joe Biden." Their communication strategy is a three-letter word: L-I-E.

This is just a consequence of replacement theory running amok among the idiot class.
They don't think they'll pay a price for these games, catering to clickbait hate, and America's worst qualities, instead of our best. The party of crew cuts and quiet, reasonable governance is SO freaking gone.

All the actual, real conservative Republicans I know are beyond livid at where the party is. They know doggone well that National votes like mine, and other reasonable moderates are there for the taking if they shut up and govern according to their principles, instead of catering to the extreme in their midst.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:57 am

They don't think they'll pay a price for these games, catering to clickbait hate, and America's worst qualities, instead of our best. The party of crew cuts and quiet, reasonable governance is SO freaking gone.

All the actual, real conservative Republicans I know are beyond livid at where the party is. They know doggone well that National votes like mine, and other reasonable moderates are there for the taking if they shut up and govern according to their principles, instead of catering to the extreme in their midst.
correct

youth, I'd agree that Dems complain about voter suppression issues and foreign interference issues, and other 'dirty tricks', but I can't recall any prominent Dems or mainstream or even lefty media claiming rampant voter fraud by R's.

And that's despite a surprising (to me) imbalance recently of the few actual crimes caught being perpetrated more by R's than D's. But certainly not some scourge of illegal voting.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:15 pm

correct

youth, I'd agree that Dems complain about voter suppression issues and foreign interference issues, and other 'dirty tricks', but I can't recall any prominent Dems or mainstream or even lefty media claiming rampant voter fraud by R's.

And that's despite a surprising (to me) imbalance recently of the few actual crimes caught being perpetrated more by R's than D's. But certainly not some scourge of illegal voting.
Because for all their flaws, Dems are rarely on TeamTInFoil. They know doggone well that those R's pulling shenanigans are few and far between....and that those that are caught, are punished.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:40 pm

correct

Because for all their flaws, Dems are rarely on TeamTInFoil. They know doggone well that those R's pulling shenanigans are few and far between....and that those that are caught, are punished.
yes, though there's sometimes a mite bit of over statement of impact of voter suppression, there's a definite reality of R efforts to suppress voting by those they assume they are not as likely to win over. Same for foreign interference, tough to measure impact, but definitely efforts to interfere.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:48 pm

correct

yes, though there's sometimes a mite bit of over statement of impact of voter suppression....
Agreed that they can be over the top at times. But at least voter suppression has been a very real thing in American history. They're not making stuff up whole cloth.

At least now, for the most part anyway, it's not about racism. It's about winning. Or at least I hope that's what it is.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:04 pm

correct

yes, though there's sometimes a mite bit of over statement of impact of voter suppression....
Agreed that they can be over the top at times. But at least voter suppression has been a very real thing in American history. They're not making stuff up whole cloth.

At least now, for the most part anyway, it's not about racism. It's about winning. Or at least I hope that's what it is.
but they equate those two, so not going to give 'my' GOP a pass.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

correct

Perhaps winning "for the most part anyway", but born from a long history of racism. Read about "The Wilmington Notch", with a long history of having the highest density of black residents in New Hanover County (essentially the City of Wilmington), and once again the only election precincts moved from purple New Hanover County on the east side of the Cape Fear River to deep red Brunswick County on the west side of the river in the state's most recent gerrymandering, thereby also making New Hanover County more probable to go red in state legislative elections.

https://www.theassemblync.com/newslette ... ilmington/
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:11 pm

correct

Perhaps winning "for the most part anyway", but born from a long history of racism. Read about "The Wilmington Notch", with a long history of having the highest density of black residents in New Hanover County (essentially the City of Wilmington), and once again the only election precincts moved from purple New Hanover County on the east side of the Cape Fear River to deep red Brunswick County on the west side of the river in the state's most recent gerrymandering, thereby also making New Hanover County more probable to go red in state legislative elections.

https://www.theassemblync.com/newslette ... ilmington/
I believe it is both sides nibbling on the edges and fringe in order leave an opening, just depends on your POV and how you are playing the game to beat the other guy.....Think of like this, its kind of like what a spike protein does to gain access and fuse to a cell.

Dems tryin to capture more EC votes. https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-con ... view=close

Ask yourself, why are migrants being sent to particular places that would add more representatives in their favor? Dems are playing the long look and this is slicker than two eels in a bucket.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”