ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by The Orfling »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:20 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:16 pm Congratulations to Princeton; they are playing great right now and if I were a seeded team I wouldn’t love facing them in the NCAAs. The announcers think it will be one Ivy bid, so we will see. A lot of upsets at the Conference tournament AQ level broke the wrong way from an Ivy bid perspective, but certainly are fun from an “any given day” perspective.
I don’t know how Princeton doesn’t get a 8 seed. Two losses by one goal each. That Brown game stinks but team was off for 12 days and looked like in the first quarter.
That’s a good point; I haven’t looked at things recently enough to try to think about who would be ahead them for an 8 seed. Some of the contenders for seeds lost early and convincingly in their conference and maybe Princeton benefits.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

The Orfling wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:24 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:20 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:16 pm Congratulations to Princeton; they are playing great right now and if I were a seeded team I wouldn’t love facing them in the NCAAs. The announcers think it will be one Ivy bid, so we will see. A lot of upsets at the Conference tournament AQ level broke the wrong way from an Ivy bid perspective, but certainly are fun from an “any given day” perspective.
I don’t know how Princeton doesn’t get a 8 seed. Two losses by one goal each. That Brown game stinks but team was off for 12 days and looked like in the first quarter.
That’s a good point; I haven’t looked at things recently enough to try to think about who would be ahead them for an 8 seed. Some of the contenders for seeds lost early and convincingly in their conference and maybe Princeton benefits.
Just checked updated RPI and they are number eight. And they are arguably playing better right now than the teams that are 3-7 in RPI (Hop, Syracuse, UVA, Denver, Maryland). So an 8 seed looks good and maybe a 7 could happen?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Princeton is playing great, but they don't have a single Top 10 win. Plus a bad loss. Maryland, conversely, has 3 (1 Top 5) and beat Princeton H2H, and no bad loss. Obviously, Princeton is playing better right now, but it's not about right now, it's the whole season. Maryland's resume is pretty clearly better

In comparison to Penn State or Georgetown; both those teams also have bad losses, but PSU has a Top 10 win that Princeton doesn't, and the same number of Top 20 wins

Georgetown actually has a Top 5 win, they beat ND. They have 1 fewer Top 20 win. That ND win is going to hold a lot of weight.

Princeton's playing great, but have a hard time seeing them get a home game. Think they go to Maryland for a rematch
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:32 pm Princeton is playing great, but they don't have a single Top 10 win. Plus a bad loss. Maryland, conversely, has 3 (1 Top 5) and beat Princeton H2H, and no bad loss. Obviously, Princeton is playing better right now, but it's not about right now, it's the whole season. Maryland's resume is pretty clearly better

In comparison to Penn State or Georgetown; both those teams also have bad losses, but PSU has a Top 10 win that Princeton doesn't, and the same number of Top 20 wins

Georgetown actually has a Top 5 win, they beat ND. They have 1 fewer Top 20 win. That ND win is going to hold a lot of weight.

Princeton's playing great, but have a hard time seeing them get a home game. Think they go to Maryland for a rematch
Yep…Terps had a much better season.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Congratulations Princeton! Go get 'em!

Not sure how things are going to break this year for Penn and Cornell (not to mention Army, Virginia, etc). Whatever happens, it has been a fun year full of entertaining Ivy lacrosse.

One more year of Covid grad transfers for the Big 10 and ACC.
Ox77

Post by Ox77 »

Congrats to Princeton on a great run…

And if it turns out that this is a one-bid league, then my condolences to Cornell, which won the Ivy regular season outright and gets absolutely shafted.
Typical Lax Dad

Ox77 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:46 pm Congrats to Princeton on a great run…

And if it turns out that this is a one-bid league, then my condolences to Cornell, which won the Ivy regular season outright and gets absolutely shafted.
Penn has an outside chance. That Michigan win may have cost them. ACC and Big Ten should all get home games. Everyone else travels.
molo

Post by molo »

ACC with the exception of ND and two if the Big 10 are staggering towards the finish line. Michigan is peaking but until now has been the weakest of the Big 10 teams who will get bids .
molo

Post by molo »

Princeton looks better than the teams I was referring to in that post. I feel bad for Penn if they didn’t get in as well as for Cornell. Neither embarrassed themselves by getting blown out in their tournament.
Typical Lax Dad

molo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:56 pm Princeton looks better than the teams I was referring to in that post. I feel bad for Penn if they didn’t get in as well as for Cornell. Neither embarrassed themselves by getting blown out in their tournament.
Although there is no AQ, all the ACC at large selections should get home games. Other conferences AQs should travel because they are not ACC schools.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

[quote="The Orfling" post_id=547356 time=1714936615
. The announcers think it will be one Ivy bid, so we will see..
[/quote]

Yes, but these announcers were telling the world in 2022 that Notre Dame would get it based on beating Duke. Then they refused to acknowledge that they were wrong, talking about the "eye test" and all. A broken clock is right twice a day, but these lax bro's might be wrong again this year.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Congrats to Tigers. Really playing well. Ivy down faceoffs this year, esp after Yale's injuries, so it's hard to judge McMeekin from this tourney, but if P'ton's guy can get to 55% in the big tourney, with that offense, look out!

Two 2 min unreleasables tough for Penn to overcome- not just the resulting scores, but the ball control time.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:00 pm [quote="The Orfling" post_id=547356 time=1714936615
Yes, but these announcers were telling the world in 2022 that Notre Dame would get it based on beating Duke. Then they refused to acknowledge that they were wrong, talking about the "eye test" and all. A broken clock is right twice a day, but these lax bro's might be wrong again this year.
[/quote]

When was the last time the Ivy League only sent one team to the NCAA tournament? Would this be the worst the conference has been in 15 or so years? Looked bad all season. The teams don’t pass the eyeball test.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:18 pm
FannOLax wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:00 pm [quote="The Orfling" post_id=547356 time=1714936615
When was the last time the Ivy League only sent one team to the NCAA tournament? Would this be the worst the conference has been in 15 or so years? Looked bad all season. The teams don’t pass the eyeball test.
[/quote]

2017, one team. Yale lost in the first round by one goal, in the Dome to Cuse.
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

So pumped for the tigers. Going from that ugly brown loss to winning out and taking the ILT was an unbelievable swing. I give mads and co a tin of credit for maintaining belief and playing with urgency. Mads isn’t talked about a lot but he’s building something in NJ. 3 straight ncaa tourneys and 2 straight ILTs. All with a very young team. What a treat this season has been. Also have to say I feel for the other ivies on outside looking in. C, Penn, Y would be worthy selections and it must be a tough pill to swallow.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:26 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:18 pm
2017, one team. Yale lost in the first round by one goal, in the Dome to Cuse.
[/quote]

Ok. Thanks. Penn was robbed in the ILT if memory serves me?
coda

Post by coda »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:00 pm Congrats to Tigers. Really playing well. Ivy down faceoffs this year, esp after Yale's injuries, so it's hard to judge McMeekin from this tourney, but if P'ton's guy can get to 55% in the big tourney, with that offense, look out!

Two 2 min unreleasables tough for Penn to overcome- not just the resulting scores, but the ball control time.
I was just looking at that. McMeekins is 64.4% in Ivy play. He was 40.2% in 4 games vs ACc and Big 10. Below 50% if 4 of 7 OCC games (Maryland, UNC, Rutgers, and Lehigh). Above 50% vs Duke, Monmouthn and Manhattan
Typical Lax Dad

coda wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:34 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:00 pm Congrats to Tigers. Really playing well. Ivy down faceoffs this year, esp after Yale's injuries, so it's hard to judge McMeekin from this tourney, but if P'ton's guy can get to 55% in the big tourney, with that offense, look out!

I was just looking at that. McMeekins is 64.4% in Ivy play. He was 40.2% in 4 games vs ACc and Big 10. Below 50% if 4 of 7 OCC games (Maryland, UNC, Rutgers, and Lehigh). Above 50% vs Duke, Monmouthn and Manhattan
1-16 against Maryland will drag your average down for sure.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Not a chance IMHO that another Ivy makes it. If Cornell or Yale had won on Friday night they would likely be in, but the Penn beatdown of Cornell and the Princeton win over the depleted Yale squad ended those hopes.
Typical Lax Dad

Lax3 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:43 pm Not a chance IMHO that another Ivy makes it. If Cornell or Yale had won on Friday night they would likely be in, but the Penn beatdown of Cornell and the Princeton win over the depleted Yale squad ended those hopes.
It is Penn or no other team. The head to head against Cornell knocked Cornell out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”