Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

D1 Mens Lacrosse
KOL1901

Re: Coaching Carousel Post-2019 Season

Post by KOL1901 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:26 pm
KOL1901 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:02 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:27 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:54 pm Never put your life in the hands of fickle college alumni.
Maybe Nagle wasn’t the azzzz kisssing type.
KOL1901 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:21 pm
AMC wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:50 pm Must be something else going on here? Why would the conference coach of the year get let go?
7 straight seasons without an America East Championship and 4 straight semifinal exits (2x to Vermont, 1x to UMBC, 1x to Albany) in one of easiest conferences in D1. Yes he was the AE coach of the year but the conference was terrible (40-62 this year collectively) so that's not saying much. Not only did they lose to UMBC this year in the Semi's but, they were embarrassed (down as many as 10 goals at home as the 1 seed!!)

The program is not moving in the right direction and needs a change. The women's program has won 7 straight AE championships under Spallina. Bring Sowell back.
^
^
|
|
|
|__________ Exhibit A :!:
Those are facts, not opinions
Or, also, after a decade of National Players of the Year, or near POYs - Fields, the Thompsons, Rooney, Crowley and others —- the well ran dry this year.
Both can be true and yes, the league was there for the taking this year.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I would not be surprised at all of SB hires Spallina to coach their men's team. His Team 91 relationships alone would change SB's recruiting almost overnight. Who knows if he would take it, but their best coach is already on campus.
old salt

Post by old salt »

getitdone wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:07 pm I like Sowell also. I also respectfully suggest that his heyday teams were highlighted by a lot of Canadians. Can he re-invent the pipeline?

SB is a good looking campus with plenty of good lacrosse players surrounding it. Need to have a creative recruiter to get more than just LI boys to go there though.
SB = SalmonBellies ? ...could Rick Sowell get that pipeline going again ? ...at Stony Brook or elsewhere.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Sure is quiet around here.
jerzyjoe81

Post by jerzyjoe81 »

sguy9 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:50 pm Sure is quiet around here.
My guess is that schools are waiting on certain coaches still in the tournament. I also believe coaches are waiting on 1 or 2 of the schools open to pull the trigger because there could be more domino's falling.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

With Yale back in the final 4, might Yale assistants Baxter and/or Stimmel get some interest for some of these jobs?
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Sorry. duplicate post
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

That would seem almost inevitable, Orfling... especially (and this is my personal opinion) Stimmel.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Hampton is open as head coach Lloyd Carter is retiring. Was a good coach to help them transition hopefully they can take the next step under this next coach.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2019/05/21/l ... -coaching/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If they can afford him Sowell should already be house shopping in Newport News.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

If Hampton wants a sustainable program, it needs to get in a conference, preferably SoCon which is generally manageable from a travel perspective. Coach Carter deserves great credit for his dedication to the program and getting it started. Sowell would be a good choice, but something tells me Starsia might be energized by the opportunity to help take the next steps for the program. He has been outspoken about underrepresented populations being brought into lacrosse, and I believe has been involved in Harlem Lacrosse for several years. If I were the AD there, I would reach out to Coach Stasia.

Hampton is a highly respected and historic university and has a lot to offer.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Scarlet wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:47 pm If Hampton wants a sustainable program, it needs to get in a conference, preferably SoCon which is generally manageable from a travel perspective. Coach Carter deserves great credit for his dedication to the program and getting it started. Sowell would be a good choice, but something tells me Starsia might be energized by the opportunity to help take the next steps for the program. He has been outspoken about underrepresented populations being brought into lacrosse, and I believe has been involved in Harlem Lacrosse for several years. If I were the AD there, I would reach out to Coach Stasia.

Hampton is a highly respected and historic university and has a lot to offer.
Having Hampton join the SoCon would be a very smart move.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

I suppose the higher achieving teams (Richmond, High Point, Air Force, and this year Jacksonville) may bristle at adding a low ranked team to Bellarmine, Furman, Mercer, and VMI, taking away a potential higher ranked out of conference game that could increase SOS and at large prospects, but I don’t see how Hampton can build and sustain even a moderately competitive D1 program without a conference affiliation.
AMC

Post by AMC »

That is if you believe that a strong OOC schedule has the potential to make up enough RPI to make a real difference toward an at-large bid from the SoCon. So far that hasn't been the case. If the only thing that really gets you in from there is winning the conference tournament, then conference SOS won't make a major difference one way or the other.
Scarlet wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:47 pm I suppose the higher achieving teams (Richmond, High Point, Air Force, and this year Jacksonville) may bristle at adding a low ranked team to Bellarmine, Furman, Mercer, and VMI, taking away a potential higher ranked out of conference game that could increase SOS and at large prospects, but I don’t see how Hampton can build and sustain even a moderately competitive D1 program without a conference affiliation.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Richmond should join the Patriot League and then they can split it into PL North and PL South. No clue why American U will not field a MLax team.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

AMC wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:47 pm That is if you believe that a strong OOC schedule has the potential to make up enough RPI to make a real difference toward an at-large bid from the SoCon. So far that hasn't been the case. If the only thing that really gets you in from there is winning the conference tournament, then conference SOS won't make a major difference one way or the other.
Scarlet wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:47 pm I suppose the higher achieving teams (Richmond, High Point, Air Force, and this year Jacksonville) may bristle at adding a low ranked team to Bellarmine, Furman, Mercer, and VMI, taking away a potential higher ranked out of conference game that could increase SOS and at large prospects, but I don’t see how Hampton can build and sustain even a moderately competitive D1 program without a conference affiliation.
A very fair point.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Regardless of the outcome on Monday, I’m officially going all in on Yale’s Andrew Stimmel as a “must have on your candidate list guy.” Current offensive coordinator of the defending champs, a team that was second in regular season scoring offense. Was a defensive coordinator for Marquette. Even had a stint as a Division II Head Coach. Captain of his Ohio State team. Has been at the elbow of someone who has undeniably figured out how to build a culture of effort and accountability.

The one thing I don’t know is the extent to which Coach Stimmel is involved in recruiting for Yale but I’d assume he has had some good experience there.

If I were the AD at Navy or Harvard I’d be making some calls on Monday night to set up an interview. Or perhaps other dominos will fall and other jobs will open up. This one seems like a no-brainer, but of course ADs still see the risk in giving a guy his first D1 head coaching job.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Just don't think he gets a call from Navy or Harvard...Fairfield maybe. Having said that Stimmel has it going on at Yale! Of course, the talent pool is rich, but their O is dominating--helps to get the ball every faceoff, though--ask Scott Marr!
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

oldjayfan wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:17 am Just don't think he gets a call from Navy or Harvard...Fairfield maybe. Having said that Stimmel has it going on at Yale! Of course, the talent pool is rich, but their O is dominating--helps to get the ball every faceoff, though--ask Scott Marr!

Then again, how 'bout Kerwin from UVA?!!
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

Baxter the D-Cord from Yale is atop the Fairfield HC search wish list is what I am hearing and could be announced by end of the week.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”