D3 Mens Lacrosse
Asgot

Re: CLC 2024

Post by Asgot »

Motorman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:56 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:46 pm
aroundtheoutside wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:31 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:25 pm
aroundtheoutside wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:44 am Just for the sake of creating conversation while we still have college lacrosse to talk about...what would it take for Kean or Stockton to pull off the upset of the decade this week? Crazy things have happened before. I still remember when CNU got their first program win against Salisbury in '14, in overtime. That was a massive shocker--CNU had been barely a blip on the radar before that.

So what would the recipe be for Kean or Stockton? Other than "SU/CNU all contract norovirus at the team meal at golden corral before the game."
Hamilton beat Tufts...just sayin.

Honestly, it would be next to impossible and Kean won't have their best SSMD, which will make it more difficult.
Oh how I'd love the CLC to get to the kind of parity, depth and competition of the NESCAC.
Need a few more teams and a few more years.
Will be a tough go as public and privates don’t like to blend in conference. A team like Stevens would benefit as their conference is dreadful
I would say the opposite about Stevens as why would they ever leave their conference right now? they have an automatic bid to the tourney much like Cabrini does. When is the last time Cabrini lost a conference game? I don't think that the NJ schools willingly went into a league with Salisbury and CNU as they don't really have any chance at making the tourney for the foreseeable future. Yes, Hamilton beat Tufts but they are still not getting in unless the win the NESCAC
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Motorman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:19 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:35 pm
zonedef wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:21 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:37 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:07 pm
aroundtheoutside wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:44 am Just for the sake of creating conversation while we still have college lacrosse to talk about...what would it take for Kean or Stockton to pull off the upset of the decade this week? Crazy things have happened before. I still remember when CNU got their first program win against Salisbury in '14, in overtime. That was a massive shocker--CNU had been barely a blip on the radar before that.

So what would the recipe be for Kean or Stockton? Other than "SU/CNU all contract norovirus at the team meal at golden corral before the game."

Honestly, it would be next to impossible and Kean won't have their best SSMD, which will make it more difficult.
Oh how I'd love the CLC to get to the kind of parity, depth and competition of the NESCAC.
Will be a tough go as public and privates don’t like to blend in conference. A team like Stevens would benefit as their conference is dreadful
I agree, but Stevens is private they will get an AQ forever if they stay where they are. Not enough NJ teams, it would have to be Pa, Md. or Va schools.

NY, NE wouldn’t make sense logistically, it would eat up a budget pretty quickly.
I’ve imagined the MAC going to an A side and a B side (call them whatever you want) with some sort of relegation system. Pull Stevens and the Freedom runner up to the A side. Then each year the B champion flips with the A last place.

It would never happen for a variety of reasons. But it’s fun to dream and I think it would be awesome.
I am curious about Kean and Montclair St. and the budget discussion. Each school has over 16000 students enrolled. Salisbury, CNU, and UMW combined might get to 16000. With all those students they couldn’t put a little more to athletics? Hire a full time head coach?
They’re both commuter schools, only a fraction of them live on campus. Kean also has other satellite campuses that feed into those #’s. The coach thing is a mystery, considering a lot of the other coaches are full time.

While NJ produces a large number of quality lax players, the state colleges are way behind with their support of the sport. The state would rather pump tens of millions into a less than average RU football program while paying the coach a ridiculous salary before they pay a full time salary to a lax coach. No reason schools like TCNJ and Rowan don’t have lax teams.
With Cabrini closing, Rowan would have really benefited if they had a program. Big school, decent town, and they have nice athletic facilities. They would attract a lot of the South Jersey talent.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

I agree, but Stevens is private they will get an AQ forever if they stay where they are. Not enough NJ teams, it would have to be Pa, Md. or Va schools.

NY, NE wouldn’t make sense logistically, it would eat up a budget pretty quickly.
I’ve imagined the MAC going to an A side and a B side (call them whatever you want) with some sort of relegation system. Pull Stevens and the Freedom runner up to the A side. Then each year the B champion flips with the A last place.

It would never happen for a variety of reasons. But it’s fun to dream and I think it would be awesome.
I am curious about Kean and Montclair St. and the budget discussion. Each school has over 16000 students enrolled. Salisbury, CNU, and UMW combined might get to 16000. With all those students they couldn’t put a little more to athletics? Hire a full time head coach?
They’re both commuter schools, only a fraction of them live on campus. Kean also has other satellite campuses that feed into those #’s. The coach thing is a mystery, considering a lot of the other coaches are full time.

While NJ produces a large number of quality lax players, the state colleges are way behind with their support of the sport. The state would rather pump tens of millions into a less than average RU football program while paying the coach a ridiculous salary before they pay a full time salary to a lax coach. No reason schools like TCNJ and Rowan don’t have lax teams.
RU is BIG1O $ in all sports. They spend a ton on LAX.

Boy's Lacrosse is a relatively new sport in NJ HS's. There were 30 HS's playing lacrosse in NJ 40 years ago, now there's over 200. You would think TCNJ/Rowan/William Paterson/Ramapo would have men's teams by now.

As far as the P/T coach goes, I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

ChopMan23 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:55 am

With Cabrini closing, Rowan would have really benefited if they had a program. Big school, decent town, and they have nice athletic facilities. They would attract a lot of the South Jersey talent.
Much prefer the former name “Glassboro State” it was a lot of fun back in the early eighties. Rowan has more than enough of a student population along with plenty of facilities to bring on Men’s Lacrosse. NJ state schools are forced to be little brother to RU even though the population can certainly sustain another big time program for athletics.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I also think that Title IX has something to do with the lack of teams in NJ. I have always believed that with the right coach and more of a commitment from the school Kean could be an top D3 program
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Asgot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:24 pm I also think that Title IX has something to do with the lack of teams in NJ. I have always believed that with the right coach and more of a commitment from the school Kean could be an top D3 program
Kean has everything facility wise to compete with the big boys in D3 sports. The location, campus, stadium, gym, are some of the best I've seen for a D3 program. The school is in a good location, close proximity to NYC, including a NJ transit train station.

Total commitment from all involved is what's needed.
EasternShoreLaxGuy

Post by EasternShoreLaxGuy »

Salisbury 19-7
CNU 14-9

Predictions for today, doubt kean is scoring more than 10 today. Could also see su holding them under 6 after learning the tendencies of the quick attackmen. I’m sure the defense wasn’t happy about giving up 12 to this team (as I don’t think they’re happy giving up 12 to anyone). Could also see cnu putting up more than 14 today. Would also give Stockton about a 1 in 10 shot at pulling off an upset today as my hot take that I don’t think is extremely ridiculous
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

EasternShoreLaxGuy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:34 am Salisbury 19-7
CNU 14-9

Predictions for today, doubt kean is scoring more than 10 today. Could also see su holding them under 6 after learning the tendencies of the quick attackmen. I’m sure the defense wasn’t happy about giving up 12 to this team (as I don’t think they’re happy giving up 12 to anyone). Could also see cnu putting up more than 14 today. Would also give Stockton about a 1 in 10 shot at pulling off an upset today as my hot take that I don’t think is extremely ridiculous
Stockton has shooters, but expect CNU to come out fired up.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

choochooCharlie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:03 pm
CNU 14-9

Stockton has shooters, but expect CNU to come out fired up.
No cow bells will be ringing today for Kean. Stockton will enjoy the beautiful Eastern Shore scenery both ways, that’s it. Long rides back to Jersey for both teams.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

CNU 14-9

They gave up 13 goals to Kean.

Today will be will be a tough one for the Cougars.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

Whelp, the boys survived Stockton.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Another day, another CNU/Salisbury matchup :lol:

If Hanway can play like the Hanway we know and Cabbanis can win his FO matchup I feel like the Captains have a punchers chance. In reality I see this game playing out like the last few. Gulls make an early run and then it’s back and forth lacrosse for the remainder of the game. Gulls win by 5.
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

Laxguy703 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:48 pm Another day, another CNU/Salisbury matchup :lol:

If Hanway can play like the Hanway we know and Cabbanis can win his FO matchup I feel like the Captains have a punchers chance. In reality I see this game playing out like the last few. Gulls make an early run and then it’s back and forth lacrosse for the remainder of the game. Gulls win by 5.
If I’m CNU I’m putting a pole on the entire 1st midfield line. Play Cook at attack and bring one of the attackmen out of the box, probably brendes.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

BigMoose9 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:43 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:48 pm Another day, another CNU/Salisbury matchup :lol:

If I’m CNU I’m putting a pole on the entire 1st midfield line. Play Cook at attack and bring one of the attackmen out of the box, probably brendes.
So… you’re putting a shorty on #56?

Cook would have problems with SU close D, particularly #17.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:49 am

You know there are 4 poles on the field, not 3 right? Put the poles on #1, #6, #16, and #56. Let the shorties try and handle #2 and #29. The first midfield combined for 15 points against the Captains last game… switching things up might not hurt.

As for Cook - He went to attack last game against the gulls and scored 3 quick goals. There’s a reason Berkman has opted to shut him off every game.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Laxguy703 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:00 am

You know there are 4 poles on the field, not 3 right? Put the poles on #1, #6, #16, and #56. Let the shorties try and handle #2 and #29. The first midfield combined for 15 points against the Captains last game… switching things up might not hurt.

As for Cook - He went to attack last game against the gulls and scored 3 quick goals. There’s a reason Berkman has opted to shut him off every game.
Putting a pole on the mids sound great in theory but can they handle them? Does CNU have 4 poles up to the task? Not sure about that. All 4 poles would be going up legit AA level players. Cook at attack works for short periods but not the full game.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Motorman wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:20 am
Laxguy703 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:00 am

Putting a pole on the mids sound great in theory but can they handle them? Does CNU have 4 poles up to the task? Not sure about that. All 4 poles would be going up legit AA level players. Cook at attack works for short periods but not the full game.
4 poles can handle them better than the shorties could. Would they shut them down? No. But having 4 poles on a teams 4 best players is the smartest thing to do. Either that or just lock some guys off to throw a wrinkle in the O. What CNU can’t do is just keep playing salisbury straight up and getting dominated by the Salisbury midfield. It happens every time.
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

2024 CLC ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Jude Brown, Salisbury

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
John DeFazio, Salisbury

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Kevin Miller, Christopher Newport

SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Reegan Capozzoli, Stockton

COACHING STAFF OF THE YEAR
Salisbury
(Jim Berkman, Justin Axel, Jayme Block, Nick Garbarino, Chandler Dabbs, Drew Borkowicz)

FIRST TEAM
Name School Yr. Pos. Hometown/High School
Alex Brendes* Christopher Newport GR A Sterling, Va./Dominion
Jude Brown* Salisbury GR A Towson, Md./John Carroll
Dylan Johnson Kean SO A Flemington, N.J./Hunterdon Central
Drew Miller* Christopher Newport GR A Mechanicsville, Va./Atlee
Nick Thorne Kean JR A Flemington, N.J./Hunterdon Central
Brice Bromwell+ Salisbury JR M Woolford, Md./Cambridge-South Dorchester
Andrew Cook* Christopher Newport GR M Mechanicsville, Va./Atlee
Jack Dowd* Salisbury GR M Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla./Ponte Vedra
Luke Nestor+ Salisbury SR M Salisbury, Md./James M. Bennett
John DeFazio* Salisbury SR D Mountain Lakes, N.J./Mountain Lakes
Reagan McNemar Salisbury GR D Millersville, Md./Boys’ Latin
Ryan Young* Christopher Newport GR D Broadlands, Va./Briar Woods
Keegan Shipe* Mary Washington JR LSM Bealeton, Va./Liberty
Braden Glushakow+ Salisbury GR SSDM Hebron, Md./James M. Bennett
Warner Cabaniss* Christopher Newport JR FO Richmond, Va./Collegiate
Tyler Horvath Stockton SR FO Chalfont, Pa./Central Bucks South
Blake Malamphy+ Salisbury SO FO Annapolis, Md./Archbishop Spalding
Nicholas Ransom Salisbury SR G Prince Frederick, Md./St. Mary’s Ryken

SECOND TEAM
Name School Yr. Pos. Hometown/High School
Connor Batjer+ Kean 5th A Riverhead, N.Y./Riverhead
Reegan Capozzoli+ Stockton SR A Wayne, N.J./Wayne Valley
Jackson Popeck Mary Washington 5th A Springfield, Va./West Springfield
Ryan Vierbuchen Montclair State SO A Hillsborough, N.J./Hillsborough
Connor Albrecht Stockton JR M Doyestown, Pa./Central Bucks West
Coby Auslander* Christopher Newport GR M Pennington, N.J./Princeton Day School
Anthony Porter Kean GR M Scotch Plains, N.J./Scotch Plains-Fanwood
Balin Galbraith Mary Washington JR D Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run
Brenden McSorley+ Stockton SR D Mantua, N.J./Clearview Regional
Bryce Stevenson Salisbury SO D Severna Park, Md./Severna Park
Brandon Young+ Christopher Newport SR D Chantilly, Va./John Champe
Shane Phillips Stockton SO LSM Springfield, Pa./Springfield Delco
AJ Rosacker Christopher Newport SO LSM Delray Beach, Fla./Saint John Paul II
Jeremiah Stafford Salisbury SO LSM Darien, Conn./Darien
Noam Levy-Smith Stockton SR SSDM Margate, N.J./Ocean City
Jacob Fowler+ Mary Washington SO FO Reston, Va./Paul VI
Zac Hanway* Christopher Newport GR G Ocean City, Md./Avon Grove (Pa.)
Wyatt Martin Mary Washington JR G Amissville, Va./Woodberry Forest

KEY:
* - First Team All-Conference 2023
+ - Second Team All-Conference 2023
Lacrossefan25

Post by Lacrossefan25 »

Seems like everyone in the conference was “all-conference” it should be 3 attack 3 omids 2 SSDM’s 1 LSM 3 Defense 1 FOGO 1 goalie and just first and second team
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Just embarrassing performance so far by CNU.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”