Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Brown 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

XLdad wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:47 pm Ill throw a name out there...Andy Towers...Brown Alum..Coached in the Ivy before..can and would do very well on the recruiting front and would bring great assistants with him..Kids LOVE him..
Who was the top scorer at fairfield who left as a senior under towers when they were melting down?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:50 pm
XLdad wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:47 pm Ill throw a name out there...Andy Towers...Brown Alum..Coached in the Ivy before..can and would do very well on the recruiting front and would bring great assistants with him..Kids LOVE him..
Who was the top scorer at fairfield who left as a senior under towers when they were melting down?
Towers never coached at Fairfield. I wonder if you're thinking of Colin Burke who played under Andy Copelan at Fairfield, but, um, "took a redshirt year" as a senior.

As for Brown, it's been a frustrating few years, and I wish Yale had been able to do its part to make your final game this season meaningful. Here's wishing Brown the best of luck in finding a terrific new head coach who lifts the Brown program up to Larsian heights.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FannOLax wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:24 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:50 pm
Towers never coached at Fairfield. I wonder if you're thinking of Colin Burke who played under Andy Copelan at Fairfield, but, um, "took a redshirt year" as a senior.

As for Brown, it's been a frustrating few years, and I wish Yale had been able to do its part to make your final game this season meaningful. Here's wishing Brown the best of luck in finding a terrific new head coach who lifts the Brown program up to Larsian heights.
Shoot damn am I getting that old? Yes sorry. Yes under Copeland it was a mess.
See Martin, Malcolm
coda

Post by coda »

If I am Brown I am calling Benson and McMinn..

Benson is down the road. Its worth the call. He has done a good job at Providence

McMinn- Came from RoMo, where he did a good job. He led them to their first conference and NCAA tournament. At Utah he was won 2 straight conference titles and their 1st NCAA tournament. He was a goalie for Providence in college, so he has connections to the area. Would be worth a call to see, if he wants to get back to the east coast.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

coda wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:50 am If I am Brown I am calling Benson and McMinn..

Benson is down the road. Its worth the call. He has done a good job at Providence

McMinn- Came from RoMo, where he did a good job. He led them to their first conference and NCAA tournament. At Utah he was won 2 straight conference titles and their 1st NCAA tournament. He was a goalie for Providence in college, so he has connections to the area. Would be worth a call to see, if he wants to get back to the east coast.
How does it play in the "close-knit lacrosse community" if you go after a coach from a school 3.5 miles away who has been there only 2 years and looks to have growing success? If Hopkins went after Toomey after dropping Petro...? or if Harvard went after Polley after Wojcik? Coaches change often. Reputations, good and bad, are sticky.
coda

Post by coda »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:25 am
coda wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:50 am If I am Brown I am calling Benson and McMinn..

How does it play in the "close-knit lacrosse community" if you go after a coach from a school 3.5 miles away who has been there only 2 years and looks to have growing success? If Hopkins went after Toomey after dropping Petro...? or if Harvard went after Polley after Wojcik? Coaches change often. Reputations, good and bad, are sticky.
I havent heard that one before, but I offered 2 names.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

I'd put very low odds on this
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

What about Sean Kirwan? I know he's only been at Dartmouth a year, but maybe?
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

BrownDad wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:12 am
Magbride14 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:30 pm Hey, even though it is too late for the Nova fogo Coppola now, but any updates on the NCAA complaint filed by Nova against Daly for targeting Coppola on Nova ( to knock him out of the game)
Don't forget Devon McLane took him out of the game last year with a nasty hit.
Very unfortunate for FOGO Justin Coppola. Looks like a tough kid in the games I saw. He was in the top-10 FOGO's at the time he was injured in the Brown game.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Not to overstate recruiting types of kids but I feel like McMinn's next step needs to be to a "X"SU (OSU/PSU, Mich not 'SU" per se but large University), Denver, Towson (maybe), Syracuse maybe a few more. Basically he was excellent at RoMo at getting Canadians. Some of those kids are still wildy underrated to this day. Utah some of that and more stretch/non traditional, which is accretive for everyone. But don't know how he'd do with a far more targeted cohort to recruit from frankly. I think he's great and ultimately will succeed higher up. But it's unclear he can succeed recruiting AI kids.

Benson is interesting. Why though? With Tierney retired, all due respect to Matt Brown, there's a shot to be regularly in the top 2-3 in the Big East in the next few years (Villanova is losing what I see as the last stud in a stretch of great offensive players for 5-7yrs in Licata) which would give him the ability to jump to major U program next. Money? Worth the call I just don't know if it's worth restarting again this soon for this opp.

I'm a huge fan of Jeremy Hirsch if you like defense, high EQ disciplined ball.
See Martin, Malcolm
coda

Post by coda »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:32 pm

Not to overstate recruiting types of kids but I feel like McMinn's next step needs to be to a "X"SU (OSU/PSU, Mich not 'SU" per se but large University), Denver, Towson (maybe), Syracuse maybe a few more. Basically he was excellent at RoMo at getting Canadians. Some of those kids are still wildy underrated to this day. Utah some of that and more stretch/non traditional, which is accretive for everyone. But don't know how he'd do with a far more targeted cohort to recruit from frankly. I think he's great and ultimately will succeed higher up. But it's unclear he can succeed recruiting AI kids.

Benson is interesting. Why though? With Tierney retired, all due respect to Matt Brown, there's a shot to be regularly in the top 2-3 in the Big East in the next few years (Villanova is losing what I see as the last stud in a stretch of great offensive players for 5-7yrs in Licata) which would give him the ability to jump to major U program next. Money? Worth the call I just don't know if it's worth restarting again this soon for this opp.

I'm a huge fan of Jeremy Hirsch if you like defense, high EQ disciplined ball.
recruiting tends to be the one thing that can be hard to predict. McMinn has been smart about it. That doesnt mean he can go toe to toe for 4 -5 star kids in hotbeds. I just think he is guy that whose resume deserves a shot at a bigger school.

Benson may not leave, I just think worth a phone call.

Hirsch is very good. Him and Ikeda are worth a call, but always tougher to guess on an assistant.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

recruiting the talent is possible, need a coach that can win in a competitive conference. And one with low ego that kids want to play for
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Benson may have been one goal away last night from securing an offer from Brown. That would have been a heckuva resume stamp.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Acting like Brown is doing Benson a favor by calling....get out of here with that BS
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

NNELax wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:07 am Acting like Brown is doing Benson a favor by calling....get out of here with that BS
And a pleasant good morning to you, too, sir!

Having a job offer — ideally at a better salary — is always a good thing in lacrosse coaching or any other profession. It’s amazing how quickly your current employer realizes they’d been underpaying and under appreciating you when that happens.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

We Brown fans/alums compress time. The Starsia era, a continuation from Stevenson's record of success, is a generation and more ago now. Lars' seat was getting warm until the talent of the '15 & '16 ('17 too to a declining extent) teams. And since he left, there's no saying he could have maintained that level of talent/success; it may have been a blip.

Is Brown a desirable destination? It's an Ivy. Its admin has been spending $$$ on the program. School doesn't have the best rep for coaching salaries, but the seat is endowed. Recent history of the sport is , what, C+/B-?- this includes looking at the record going back to Lars' hiring. Which other Ivy programs could an incoming coach look at and say, "we can knock them out of the league tournament picture with regularity"? It's in a medium-sized East coast city near good beaches. Good food city. Typical urban issues, but the East Side location provides insulation from much of that.

Isn't Brown a stepping stone school? Success = Starsia/Tiffany route to a destination school. Failure = Lasagna/Nelson next stop D3. Daly...?

So what kind of HC/AC can this level of program, this particular school, attract?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Let's keep it in the family!

* Jon Thompson -- HC -- No brainer; perfect cultural fit; elite recruiter; will be there for 10-15 years
* Larken Kemp -- DC -- MBA can wait; follow your passion; alums will kick in 10 rounds per year at Newport CC and 10 rounds per year at The CC; every HS pole in the country will have to take his recruiting pitch seriously
* Colin Munro -- OC -- Catch this rising star before someone else does
* Jamie Munro -- Special Assistant (aka Ernie Adams) -- One of the most creative minds in lacrosse history; elite skills development plus stealing a goal or two per game through unconventional scheming
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Can Opener wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:36 am Let's keep it in the family!

* Jon Thompson -- HC -- No brainer; perfect cultural fit; elite recruiter; will be there for 10-15 years
* Larken Kemp -- DC -- MBA can wait; follow your passion; alums will kick in 10 rounds per year at Newport CC and 10 rounds per year at The CC; every HS pole in the country will have to take his recruiting pitch seriously
* Colin Munro -- OC -- Catch this rising star before someone else does
* Jamie Munro -- Special Assistant (aka Ernie Adams) -- One of the most creative minds in lacrosse history; elite skills development plus stealing a goal or two per game through unconventional scheming
I’d love that true Brown State staff!!
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Jon Thompson has the resume - he is groomed for HC. Query - does he have the charisma to recruit and be a head coach? I guess people that know him or have coached with or played for him would know
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

IvyBrown wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:26 am Jon Thompson has the resume - he is groomed for HC. Query - does he have the charisma to recruit and be a head coach? I guess people that know him or have coached with or played for him would know
Thompson was a remarkable recruiter at Amherst, which probably scares folks because of the recent Tufts experience. He absolutely knows talent as the Amherst classes that he had were by far the best classes the school had ever seen. Plenty of charisma, good D1 experience with Air Force and now UNC.

A name that I am surprised to not see on here is Ryan Pooley. Brown would be a step up from BU, where he has built an absolutely first class program from the club level. Good experience at Yale and excellent at finding talent.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”