The Biden - Harris Era.

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: The Biden - Harris Era.

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:17 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:36 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:46 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:38 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:31 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:21 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:44 pm Nancy allowing us a look behind the curtain of how she ruled with an iron fist. Just like a good democrat....you disagree with her, you get attacked and name called.... kind of like around here: ;) https://x.com/CortesSteve/status/1785070721724473492
LOL :roll:

Pelosi does go too far in saying "apologist for Trump", as Tur is not, but she's accurate in her statement, though without full and fair context, which she fundamentally admits is her 'role' to point out. Tur is pointing out context, which is quite fair and appropriate, as long as one also confirms that it's indeed the worst record of job losses versus adds in any Presidential 4 years in history, and if context and nuance is to be added, to also point out that the US has had the strongest rebound, with the highest job creation and lowest inflation rate post COVID, post Trump than any other developed country in the world.

Context and nuance is indeed important, but not merely as a pushback against sound bite hyperbole and not without full context and nuance. These formats aren't great for such discussion, but it would be refreshing to see it happen!

I haven't seen anyone called an apologist for Trump or MAGA on here who isn't at a minimum such.

What I don't understand is how this has anything to do with Pelosi's leadership of her caucus during her tenure. Yes, she had strong message discipline and she whipped the vote effectively but that's the job...are you criticizing her doing her prior job well or are you criticizing her message discipline and willingness to push back hard against a reporter taking her way from that discipline?
I did not say apologist....I said attacked and name called, I suppose my comment hit a bit too closely, nIce try at the pivot, though. ;)
wasn't that the 'name' she 'called' Tur?

Was there some sort of other "attack"?

Have you or someone else been "name-called" something else you think is inaccurate?

I've been called a lot of things on here and I simply refute them when inaccurate. Not a big deal.
Some of it gets rather stupid and tediously repetitive, but ahh well.
So big deal, trump refutes the fact that he is a crook. Some of the things you have been called are hard to refute. I guess you and trump must have that trait in common? I've been called a jerk on this forum. You've been called a jerk on this forum. Is that one of those things you can refute? Do you stand up and say ...no I'm not a jerk, statement clearly refuted... :D FTR keeper, I'm busting your balls here using something called sarcasm. I can refute any objections you have...
You're correct, some name calling is a matter of "opinion".

I meant labels like "Biden apologist", "RINO", and your favorite, "FLP".

youth was clutching his pearls about Pelosi suggesting that Tur is a Trump apologist, which Tur makes quickly clear doesn't fit her, I just don't see the big deal, nor his trying to extrapolate that to "iron fist" and "name-calling" here on Fanlax between posters. Seems pretty "snowflake" to me... ;)
FLP represents the Far Left Progressive wing of the Democrat party. I don't use the term as frequently but I know you often times criticize the FRC which represents the Far Right Conservative wing of the Republican party. It is not a term of disparagement as you are implying. My own sister is by her own admission a FLP.
The way you wield it as an insult is clear. I’m certainly not such, yet you have numerous times sneeringly called me that label.

Not a big deal, I just point out that the label doesn’t fit.

I don’t recall anyone but you using the term FRC.

I am more specific when I describe specific parts of the ‘hard right’ ideology. Indeed, I don’t consider hard right extremism to be ‘conservative’.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:23 am You all cool with this? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/palestinia ... ite-house/
Philosophically?

sure. No doubt that asylum could apply for some, particularly those brutalized by Hamas.

That said, the far better answer is for Gaza to be freed from Hamas terror and ongoing war, and for Gazans to be supported in rebuilding their own region, with a clear path to a full Palestinian state.

So, unless there are some very specific Gazans who are in imminent threat from Hamas, and they'd hope to return back when Hamas is out, I don't see this as the best path for us.

That is, unless this is an international effort of many countries to enable a major reduction in population pressure in such a small area that is now mostly rubble. I hadn't heard of such, but that could be in the offing.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:38 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:23 am You all cool with this? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/palestinia ... ite-house/
Philosophically?

sure. No doubt that asylum could apply for some, particularly those brutalized by Hamas.

That said, the far better answer is for Gaza to be freed from Hamas terror and ongoing war, and for Gazans to be supported in rebuilding their own region, with a clear path to a full Palestinian state.
Understood and pragmatic, but...why the USA, and not any other surrounding 'safe' country?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:45 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:38 am
Philosophically?

Understood and pragmatic, but...why the USA, and not any other surrounding 'safe' country?
An entirely reasonable question, same one I'd have...did it say that no other countries would be involved?

Let's just remember that 'under consideration' may mean that someone asked them to consider and they said they would 'consider'...
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:57 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:37 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:09 pm OK here's my fantasy, animated by the reality that there is no coalition among Republicans with the courage to do anything about this guy:

Trump has a heart attack and dies or is sufficiently incapacitated that he cannot run for office.

Presumably then -- in my fantasy, mind you -- the GOP can go to a Convention and nominate Haley or someone, who might, just might, lead the GOP out of its wilderness of proto-fascism.

But sure, let's worry instead about a bunch of college kids protesting policy choices, who some of us insist on styling as "future leaders of the country."
Better fantasy, though I'd rather Trump lose ignominiously then have that heart attack.
Losing matters to shaking the party out of its delusions.
Did you by chance see the Anderson Cooper thing on CNN the other night? The Trump movement cannot, in my view, be shaken from its delusions
Which ‘thing’? I likely missed as it’s not immediately occurring to me.

However, let me just say that most fantasies don’t come to pass and, with full TMI, some of mine definitely won’t. ;)

Seriously, we do benefit from a a serious conservative ideological position in the competition for governance and policy, so we really should hope for such to re-emerge as a faithful partner with liberal ideology in governance and policy competition.

But MAGA is definitely not such. And it owns the GOP at present.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/28/politics ... index.html
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:18 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:57 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:37 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:09 pm OK here's my fantasy, animated by the reality that there is no coalition among Republicans with the courage to do anything about this guy:

Trump has a heart attack and dies or is sufficiently incapacitated that he cannot run for office.

Presumably then -- in my fantasy, mind you -- the GOP can go to a Convention and nominate Haley or someone, who might, just might, lead the GOP out of its wilderness of proto-fascism.

But sure, let's worry instead about a bunch of college kids protesting policy choices, who some of us insist on styling as "future leaders of the country."
Better fantasy, though I'd rather Trump lose ignominiously then have that heart attack.
Losing matters to shaking the party out of its delusions.
Did you by chance see the Anderson Cooper thing on CNN the other night? The Trump movement cannot, in my view, be shaken from its delusions
Which ‘thing’? I likely missed as it’s not immediately occurring to me.

However, let me just say that most fantasies don’t come to pass and, with full TMI, some of mine definitely won’t. ;)

Seriously, we do benefit from a a serious conservative ideological position in the competition for governance and policy, so we really should hope for such to re-emerge as a faithful partner with liberal ideology in governance and policy competition.

But MAGA is definitely not such. And it owns the GOP at present.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/28/politics ... index.html
ahh yes, I'd seen some of that reporting but hadn't seen the documentary...he's a very good interviewer as is a gal with glasses that does the same sort of quiet discussions with people, not trying to persuade them but letting them explain themselves best they can...and, yeah, it's off the wall how misinformed people are based on media bubbles that intentionally mislead them.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Mohamed A. El-Erian
@elerianm
Asked about the level of inflation, Federal Reserve Chair Powell responds "3% cannot be in a sentence with satisfactory."
What if 3% turns out to be closer to the equilibrium inflation rate for a US economy (i) going through major structural changes, several of which are inherently inflationary, and (ii) operating in a world that has gone from dis-inflationary globalization to more inflationary fragmentation?
I strongly suspect that if not for the credibility damage caused by the Fed's big 2021 policy mistake, the central bank would be more open to a proper balance of risk analysis.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:35 pm
Mohamed A. El-Erian
@elerianm
Asked about the level of inflation, Federal Reserve Chair Powell responds "3% cannot be in a sentence with satisfactory."
What if 3% turns out to be closer to the equilibrium inflation rate for a US economy (i) going through major structural changes, several of which are inherently inflationary, and (ii) operating in a world that has gone from dis-inflationary globalization to more inflationary fragmentation?
I strongly suspect that if not for the credibility damage caused by the Fed's big 2021 policy mistake, the central bank would be more open to a proper balance of risk analysis.”
He's a smart cat.
It's all quite complicated, and a whole lot of factors at play, so hard to know who's right about what 'satisfactory' might really mean.

I'm pleased that we're lower than most developed countries and would like to see a steadier state along with lower normalized interest rates (but not zero!) but... patience grasshoppers...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

No...this is not the Babylon Bee:

....at least the democrats are being honest, they want workers. And since immigrants crossed water at some point, they must be good lifeguards we can hire in NYC:

https://x.com/WatchChad/status/1790452850910228574
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”