Hobart 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GeneralBart

Re: Hobart 2025

Post by GeneralBart »

Bartfromboston wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:09 am I agree on Fiaola. I think he and Wilson are a dead heat. But coach said in a podcast that there was no controversy for goalie and that Wilson is his man. To me, that is just immature and not thought thru. You dont have to say that, you could just compliment both and move on. Last weeks podcast he made a sarcastic comment about kids that want to play more - with a throw away comment about how the coaches know what is best. Another non-thinking comment. You dont need to visibly and vocally tell everyone that you are set in your ways and not willing to change. If there is one kid that is a big risk for the portal, it’s Fiaola. He would get taken fast and start at lots of D1 programs. But i love Wilson too, so this is where you need to watch your words and keep both kids feeling love and engaged that there is a fight for the starter and maybe a by committee role and play the hot hand. The UMASS game needed a change and we just couldn’t do it, or wouldn’t do it.
To me, the fact that he started the second half with Faiola is an indication that the decision on next year’s starter is still up in the air. Why take out Wilson if you know he is your starter?
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

GeneralBart wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:09 am
Bartfromboston wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:09 am I agree on Fiaola. I think he and Wilson are a dead heat. But coach said in a podcast that there was no controversy for goalie and that Wilson is his man. To me, that is just immature and not thought thru. You dont have to say that, you could just compliment both and move on. Last weeks podcast he made a sarcastic comment about kids that want to play more - with a throw away comment about how the coaches know what is best. Another non-thinking comment. You dont need to visibly and vocally tell everyone that you are set in your ways and not willing to change. If there is one kid that is a big risk for the portal, it’s Fiaola. He would get taken fast and start at lots of D1 programs. But i love Wilson too, so this is where you need to watch your words and keep both kids feeling love and engaged that there is a fight for the starter and maybe a by committee role and play the hot hand. The UMASS game needed a change and we just couldn’t do it, or wouldn’t do it.
To me, the fact that he started the second half with Faiola is an indication that the decision on next year’s starter is still up in the air. Why take out Wilson if you know he is your starter?
Maybe because he knows he is at risk to leave. Trying to sell him.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:23 am
Bartfromboston wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:12 am
315lax wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:41 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:20 pm
SSDM: here’s where I get optimistic. FOGO and goalie solid and close D we can count on. I envision four SSDMs. Top two are some combo of Wimer/dino/brought in and race is great 4th SSdM who can play o. They all can play both ways/. If healthy picture those horses. Plus maybe Schleicher and Danny Campbell.
Would love to see Campbell next year at SSDM. Not sure about his speed but his size would certainly compensate for it.
You are forgetting about Race
I like Race as the shorty in man down, and maybe situationally, but we need the size at SSDM with guys like Wimer. Also, not thrilled with the smurf attack of Delano, Rosa, Patterson...Patterson at attack and bring the others out of the box. Hobart needs to recruit more size, period...
1000% agree. Delano is much better slashing from the box. Rosa can do both as he mixes it up inside well. Shellenberg and Stilwell have decent size although they haven’t played much
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

315lax wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:17 pm
GeneralBart wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:49 pm Think I would include Faiola with the FR you mentioned. He stood tall at the end of the Bonnie’s game, unlike what we have seen in some games this year. I know he had some tough games early but seems to have improved some as the year went on. How many other players can you say that about?

The kid from South Side seems to be a player. Who else should we be looking out for?
In 4 out of the 5 games he saw actual time in he out performed Wilson. Can’t hold the Cornel game against him as the entire team collapsed in the second half.
Can’t count games where a kid doesn’t start as the same when walking into a situation. Or at least Raymond claims the signaling value of playing kids alter in a game is low-he said amounts excuse for not playing more of
The roster late in games.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

315lax wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:41 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:20 pm
SSDM: here’s where I get optimistic. FOGO and goalie solid and close D we can count on. I envision four SSDMs. Top two are some combo of Wimer/dino/brought in and race is great 4th SSdM who can play o. They all can play both ways/. If healthy picture those horses. Plus maybe Schleicher and Danny Campbell.
Would love to see Campbell next year at SSDM. Not sure about his speed but his size would certainly compensate for it.
If Wimer, Campbell and and Dino are all SSdM what offensive middies to we have that are 6” tall or larger?
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The thing is he can laugh everyone off but plenty of folks hve managed personnel, bosses and budgets and that’s where he has no idea what he’s talking about and maybe should defer to professionals who’ve succeeded, manage more than 59 children, work in a for profit environment where performance and accountability go together. HC is head of a unit.

Everyone gets he’s an anachronistic thinker and that sells well to the small lofla but actually oversized BOT in Geneva. Kevin Dewa is selling the same trash to get lifetime employment. If his tenure is longer than Coach Craggs I’ll never give a dime to athletics again personally.
See Martin, Malcolm
LinSudblax

Post by LinSudblax »

I didnt want to chime in here, however I feel as if a few things need to be said. The goalie situation - obviously Coach is going to say the starter is their guy, no if ands of butts. A position predicated on 'confidence', understanding your players listen to the podcast. Its something that needs to be said regardless if it was true or not. This happens in the NHL all of the time ...

They are the ones who watch film everyday, attend practice and watch these athletes in the weight room. If kids want to play more, play better during the week and when you get your chance produce. Its that simple. Depth is an issue - if your top guys cant log minutes like we need them to they need to be in better shape and/or the bottom half of the roster needs to improve drastically.

The program is in good hands with this freshman class, the next class looks strong. I hope they come in next year ready to work. All of them coming from legit club teams / ~hot bed areas.

-- Bryce Johnson A 10/02/2023 Jackson Hole Community School --
-- Chase Hallam M 07/25/2023 Severn School Baltimore Crabs 2024
-- Griffin Strange FO 03/09/2023 IMG Academy Richmond Hawks 2024 AA
-- Michael Scarpati LSM 02/27/2023 Bernards High School BBL Elite 2024 Black
-- Sheldon Broughton M 02/15/2023 Neil McNeil Edge 2024
-- Brady Smith G 12/27/2022 Jesuit High School --
-- Cole DiPietro M 12/18/2022 South Side High School ICON 2024
-- Daniel Cano A 11/29/2022 The Hun School of Princeton BBL Elite 2024 Black
-- Ethan Winterbottom D 10/22/2022 The Governors Academy True Illinois 2024 Premier AA
-- Ryan Miele D 10/08/2022 The Kiski School Nationals Lacrosse Club 2024
-- James Hamilton M 09/25/2022 Valor Christian High School Denver Elite 2024 Silver
-- Teddy Fenlin A 07/27/2023 St Joseph's Preparatory School Mesa PA 2024 --
-- Rees Chandler D 10/27/2022 Seattle Preparatory School CitySide 2024 --
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LinSudblax wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:33 am I didnt want to chime in here, however I feel as if a few things need to be said. The goalie situation - obviously Coach is going to say the starter is their guy, no if ands of butts. A position predicated on 'confidence', understanding your players listen to the podcast. Its something that needs to be said regardless if it was true or not. This happens in the NHL all of the time ...

They are the ones who watch film everyday, attend practice and watch these athletes in the weight room. If kids want to play more, play better during the week and when you get your chance produce. Its that simple. Depth is an issue - if your top guys cant log minutes like we need them to they need to be in better shape and/or the bottom half of the roster needs to improve drastically.

The program is in good hands with this freshman class, the next class looks strong. I hope they come in next year ready to work. All of them coming from legit club teams / ~hot bed areas.

-- Ethan Winterbottom D 10/22/2022 The Governors Academy True Illinois 2024 Premier AA
-- James Hamilton M 09/25/2022 Valor Christian High School Denver Elite 2024 Silver
IL is self reporting so they didn’t capture this Hill (Canadian) 24 named Cade Cordingly - also in this class

https://twitter.com/TeamOntarioLax/stat ... 2805626992

What would you say is the signal to a community in lacrosse kids if you carry 60 and don’t play half ever but there are “depth” and conditioning issues with the starters? What if Herlihy had shot 27% instead of a 5 goal game against Colgate in a stacked team playing loose in a Covid year? My point is sometimes you have to let the kids make mistakes in games to get the production.

Raymond - “I dont get why they play differently in games than practice”. Umm could it be they’re afraid of getting yanked for first mistake vs practice where they look better because they don’t have that hanging around their head while playing? If I’m a recruit how do you truest the staff when you know they told a bunch of kids things and then took their money and buried them? It’s a bad signal to the community.

Like a Ty Yanko. (Which wa another chip/resource blunder to go to the colleges to get him back when he was going to transfer to McGill then didn’t play him saying more resources of the colleges-just can’t make a budget it’s clear)
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Wed May 01, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
See Martin, Malcolm
Hebrewhammer

Post by Hebrewhammer »

Interested to see the strides Kinslow makes in his second year, hoping to see some more time from him. I also think we have much to be excited for at attack, particularly with Snellenberg. He’s already got the size, but would love to see him pack on 30-40 more pounds this off season.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Hebrewhammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:39 pm Interested to see the strides Kinslow makes in his second year, hoping to see some more time from him. I also think we have much to be excited for at attack, particularly with Snellenberg. He’s already got the size, but would love to see him pack on 30-40 more pounds this off season.

Geezz HH.. he's gonna look like me...aka the Michelin man...there's a reason I'm a crease attackman.
LinSudblax

Post by LinSudblax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:37 pm
LinSudblax wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:33 am I didnt want to chime in here, however I feel as if a few things need to be said. The goalie situation - obviously Coach is going to say the starter is their guy, no if ands of butts. A position predicated on 'confidence', understanding your players listen to the podcast. Its something that needs to be said regardless if it was true or not. This happens in the NHL all of the time ...

IL is self reporting so they didn’t capture this Hill (Canadian) 24 named Cade Cordingly - also in this class

What would you say is the signal to a community in lacrosse kids if you carry 60 and don’t play half ever but there are “depth” and conditioning issues with the starters? What if Herlihy had shot 27% instead of a 5 goal game against Colgate in a stacked team playing loose in a Covid year? My point is sometimes you have to let the kids make mistakes in games to get the production.

Raymond - “I dont get why they play differently in games than practice”. Umm could it be they’re afraid of getting yanked for first mistake vs practice where they look better because they don’t have that hanging around their head while playing? If I’m a recruit how do you truest the staff when you know they told a bunch of kids things and then took their money and buried them? It’s a bad signal to the community.

Like a Ty Yanko. (Which wa another chip/resource blunder to go to the colleges to get him back when he was going to transfer to McGill then didn’t play him saying more resources of the colleges-just can’t make a budget it’s clear)

Carrying 60 players on a lacrosse team while not giving half of them significant playing time can indeed send mixed signals, particularly if there are apparent depth and conditioning issues with the starters.

Ultimately, the signals sent to the lacrosse community in these situations underscore the complexities and challenges of team management in sports. It highlights the importance of open communication, clear expectations, and strategic decision-making by coaching staff to ensure the overall success and development of the team.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LinSudblax wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:37 pm

Carrying 60 players on a lacrosse team while not giving half of them significant playing time can indeed send mixed signals, particularly if there are apparent depth and conditioning issues with the starters.

Ultimately, the signals sent to the lacrosse community in these situations underscore the complexities and challenges of team management in sports. It highlights the importance of open communication, clear expectations, and strategic decision-making by coaching staff to ensure the overall success and development of the team.
Indeed! I'm now pushing harder recently but as "general manager" of a unit of LOB it's pretty clear this isn't working. I have friends I would take a bullet for and not hire...I think after a decade we can evaluate your first and third requirements and say it's not getting it done.

BTW we've had tremedous success and loved LS kids, but always wondered what happend to Brian Vona's two kids who came to geneva. Did they play elsewhere or stay and enjoy HWS w/o lax? (and lastly if you are in sudbury and know the community well my brother in laws brother lives there so look out for a nice older gentleman named David Mandel FWIW).
See Martin, Malcolm
brodad

Post by brodad »

Hebrewhammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:39 pm Interested to see the strides Kinslow makes in his second year, hoping to see some more time from him. I also think we have much to be excited for at attack, particularly with Snellenberg. He’s already got the size, but would love to see him pack on 30-40 more pounds this off season.
Unfortunately, Kinslow was not enrolled in the spring semester. Hopefully he's ok. No idea if he'll be back, but he'd probably be an asset next year.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Kinslow never enrolled - he was never on the roster or at the school. Not sure if he is “coming back” or not.

On the comments about roster size and play time, etc. the comment about kids being wrapped tight in games versus practice is just not what I saw. Kids played terrible in games and there was no changes to the lineups for poor performance (except goalie). So i have no idea why anyone who started would be nervous about their position because nothing changed throughout the entire year. Except for James Greene and Swisher playing much more in the beginning part of the year and seemingly getting demoted for the A10 schedule. I think we had an issue with conditioning where we had kids injured constantly and we just couldn’t finish because we were fatigued. and I believe that is directly connected to not playing half of our roster at all through the season.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

BfB, Coach Raymond talked about Kinslow in his 1st podcast this fall saying he expected him to see PT early. Guess he withdrew before the second semester started. I hope he comes back. From what I have heard he is talented with good size and decent footwik. Things we could use in '25.
brodad

Post by brodad »

Bartfromboston wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:51 pm Kinslow never enrolled - he was never on the roster or at the school. Not sure if he is “coming back” or not.

On the comments about roster size and play time, etc. the comment about kids being wrapped tight in games versus practice is just not what I saw. Kids played terrible in games and there was no changes to the lineups for poor performance (except goalie). So i have no idea why anyone who started would be nervous about their position because nothing changed throughout the entire year. Except for James Greene and Swisher playing much more in the beginning part of the year and seemingly getting demoted for the A10 schedule. I think we had an issue with conditioning where we had kids injured constantly and we just couldn’t finish because we were fatigued. and I believe that is directly connected to not playing half of our roster at all through the season.
I noticed the demotions as well. Then they lost 4 in a row, 5 if you count Syracuse
stevestevenson

Post by stevestevenson »

Snellenberg is already around 230 I believe. I doubt 260-270 is going to be productive, although we have had some big bodies find success in the past.
thehashslingingslash

Post by thehashslingingslash »

I think we can all look back on this past season and agree that while these kids played their heart out, the execution was just not there.

I think the first thing we can do is bring back Adam Hardy and have him serve under Brundage as assistant OC(Jordan love Aaron Rodgers type deal), his knowledge of the game is unmatched. A few guys I was curious to see on the bench this year were Kinslow and I was also really excited about Dan Campbell. He has the build of a division 1 linebacker and I find it hard to believe anyone could stop him once he gets downhill out of the box. Another guy I've been curious about is Will Plunket. He comes from a HS powerhouse in Darien, CT where there is a great culture and great coaches. Unfortunately he's been hurt for the duration of his time here, but would love to see what he can to as the SSDM position if healthy. I think with Patterson coming back, as well as Delano, Rosa, and a healthy John Jude we have a great core group within the offense. Excited to see what they can do if they can remain healthy next year.

Onto 2025, Roll Bart FMU!
wormburner

Post by wormburner »

Congrats to all our Statesman that were recognized by the Atlantic 10 today! Adam Shea, Chad Bach, Chris Patterson, Mike Valent, and Nicky Gullace. Well done fellas! Hip Hobart
Hebrewhammer

Post by Hebrewhammer »

stevestevenson wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:00 am
Snellenberg is already around 230 I believe. I doubt 260-270 is going to be productive, although we have had some big bodies find success in the past.
Was not aware Snellenberg was that big, maybe not 30-40 pounds. However, if he gained a solid 10 pounds I would love to see his production if he could still move at 250. I’m thinking of the big barrel chested attack men that have been successful in the past (Cloutier, JGJr etc). On the other side of the field I’m excited to see Nolan lead the defense in their second year playing together. Hoping to see more of Mike Bennett as well. Does anyone have their ear to the ground on graduating seniors with eligibility that may return? Believe Porter Johnson and Josh Duby have time remaining

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”