~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by houndace1 »

laxdadj wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:47 pm I like Loyola's chances against Navy. If they win on Tuesday they would play Army on Friday at 4 pm.
They'd play Lehigh Friday at 7 since the winner of the 4/5 game (Colgate/BU) plays Army.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
QuestionMark

Post by QuestionMark »

It is not bracket play. Army gets the highest remaining seed at 4pm Friday. If Loyola wins, that's their matchup.
saltydogs

Post by saltydogs »

if loyola wins they will the the highest remaining seed no matter the out come of the the other game and they will have the 7 pm game according to patriot league website .and they can beat Lehigh I believe
QuestionMark

Post by QuestionMark »

I'll try to be more clear. If Loyola wins, they play Army at 4.
If they lose, Army plays BU-Colgate winner at 4.

You can't play Lehigh until the Finals.
QuestionMark

Post by QuestionMark »

Army gets the early game as host. Loyola will not play at 7pm Friday under any scenario.
Houndfan95

Post by Houndfan95 »

Yeah it’s a reseed situation which IMO is dumb. If you seed people then you should accept the game results within a bracket…it’s a tourney at this point. Slot the bracket and stick to it

Does the NCAA tourney for basketball re-seed??!! Nope

Whatever

Cart before the horse…Navy is a very good team and tomorrow night will be a pick em IMO

Go Hounds!!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

QuestionMark wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:29 pm It is not bracket play. Army gets the highest remaining seed at 4pm Friday. If Loyola wins, that's their matchup.

emifinal Round - Friday, May 3 | Hosted by No. 1 Seed
Lowest-remaining seed at No. 1 Army West Point, 4 p.m., CBS Sports Network
Highest-remaining seed vs. No. 2 Lehigh, 7 p.m., CBS Sports Network

This reads that Loyola being 6 seed, is the lowest remaining seed if they win, BU/Colgate are the 4/5 seeds and would play Lehigh

Am I wrong?
Houndfan95

Post by Houndfan95 »

laxbro11 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:56 am
QuestionMark wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:29 pm It is not bracket play. Army gets the highest remaining seed at 4pm Friday. If Loyola wins, that's their matchup.

This reads that Loyola being 6 seed, is the lowest remaining seed if they win, BU/Colgate are the 4/5 seeds and would play Lehigh

Am I wrong?
You are correct

“If” Loyola wins, they play Army on Friday.

It’s not a traditional tourney bracket…they re-seed which IMO is dumb…but that’s just me…

What’s everyone thinking about tonight??!!

I think this has all the makings of a tight game with 5 minutes to go…I can see Navy or Loyola winning. Certainly no distinct advantage either way

Hope we can win some face offs. By now our team is used to that being a massive disadvantage but it would be nice for once to actually win the FO battle over an entire game AND of course win the game…
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Houndfan95 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:39 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:56 am

Am I wrong?
You are correct

“If” Loyola wins, they play Army on Friday.

It’s not a traditional tourney bracket…they re-seed which IMO is dumb…but that’s just me…

What’s everyone thinking about tonight??!!

I think this has all the makings of a tight game with 5 minutes to go…I can see Navy or Loyola winning. Certainly no distinct advantage either way

Hope we can win some face offs. By now our team is used to that being a massive disadvantage but it would be nice for once to actually win the FO battle over an entire game AND of course win the game…
It may not be the prettiest game tonight but it most definitely will be a Physical one. Every time a team plays a Service Academy you can expect the hits to come with a little more juice, the shots with more zip on em, and the emotion to be really high

Hounds will have played (including tonight) 3 games in a row against academies. Win and advance and then EVERYBODY gotta hit the ice baths and treatment.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

I see Loyola winning tonight 13-9. Just more talent up front and in Goal.
Turn the corner

Post by Turn the corner »

Disappointing season
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Tough loss,

Navy’s goalie again played out of his mind making 18 saves. James and poitras and the guys all played their hearts out.

20 seniors and grad students now move on to their working lives but the games and memories they played/made will forever be with them.

Still proud of this team and program. They’ve knocked off some big names in the last 4 years. There’s a lot of pieces to replace but they’ll find a way to come back again
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Tough loss for sure But predictable. Face off all year was poor. Plus the hounds have struggled to finish all season long. this team had too much talent to end this way
Last playoff run was 2021 this should not happen
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Turn the corner wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:00 pm Disappointing season
+1
LILaxLaw

Post by LILaxLaw »

Time for coach to recruit a FOGO. Cant get dominated like they've been the past couple of seasons and expect to compete at a high level.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

LILaxLaw wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 pm Time for coach to recruit a FOGO. Cant get dominated like they've been the past couple of seasons and expect to compete at a high level.
It sure makes a difference. Navy has not had a dominant F/O player since Dove and Varello, and those were the last years where the team could play more loose.

I wished we had a way to stat the F/O better so you could see how the individual does vs the 3v3 unit. Navy looked like they adjusted this week and put 11 on the wing….nice supporting role, which helped.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Off-season starts now.

Get a moving, recruiting, hiring and strategizing.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Just a terrible loss. This offense is stagnant. Other that individual dodges there were two goals scored that were assisted. Bad shots from 15 yards. No ball movement. No player development. No energy. Something has to change. 20 guys leave this team along with 5/6 starters on offense. None of the young guys were given opportunities. Turner gets 3 goals in limited play yet plays one shift tonight while Higgins fails to score in the last 9 games but plays all the time. Charlie has to figure things out quickly because this team has regressed in the past four years. Changes need to be made. I love Toomey. He was my coach. Things seem different now though. I went to all the home games this year and everyone seemed stale. Bursts of offense but overall it was another year where the offense regressed. Think about the start of the year: EVERY STARTER ON OFFENSE RETURNED. Poitras and James were good. Minicus was better as a freshman. Heuston was the only consistent midfielder. Higgins, Kamish, Lindsay, Binney, Haberman, Murphy all regressed. Guys like McGory, Dixon, West, Turner were given little if any playing time. These are guys that were highly recruited. Why did the veterans regress and the young guns not develop? You answer that question and maybe next year is better. Sad. Done posting for awhile. Sorry to be negative but since I moved back to Bmore four years ago I really went all in on these boys.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Formerhound wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:49 pm Just a terrible loss. This offense is stagnant. Other that individual dodges there were two goals scored that were assisted. Bad shots from 15 yards. No ball movement. No player development. No energy. Something has to change. 20 guys leave this team along with 5/6 starters on offense. None of the young guys were given opportunities. Turner gets 3 goals in limited play yet plays one shift tonight while Higgins fails to score in the last 9 games but plays all the time. Charlie has to figure things out quickly because this team has regressed in the past four years. Changes need to be made. I love Toomey. He was my coach. Things seem different now though. I went to all the home games this year and everyone seemed stale. Bursts of offense but overall it was another year where the offense regressed. Think about the start of the year: EVERY STARTER ON OFFENSE RETURNED. Poitras and James were good. Minicus was better as a freshman. Heuston was the only consistent midfielder. Higgins, Kamish, Lindsay, Binney, Haberman, Murphy all regressed. Guys like McGory, Dixon, West, Turner were given little if any playing time. These are guys that were highly recruited. Why did the veterans regress and the young guns not develop? You answer that question and maybe next year is better. Sad. Done posting for awhile. Sorry to be negative but since I moved back to Bmore four years ago I really went all in on these boys.
Your posts have been spot on all season long. You are not negative, you are factual and to the point.
Loyola has a problem that needs to be fixed 8-8 last year and 7-8 this year is not acceptable. Think back to the optimism when we beat Georgetown, the team regressed since game one.

In regards to the Navy game, Amplo made adjustments and prepared his team. Loyola made no adjustments
Houndfan95

Post by Houndfan95 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:38 pm
LILaxLaw wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 pm Time for coach to recruit a FOGO. Cant get dominated like they've been the past couple of seasons and expect to compete at a high level.
It sure makes a difference. Navy has not had a dominant F/O player since Dove and Varello, and those were the last years where the team could play more loose.

I wished we had a way to stat the F/O better so you could see how the individual does vs the 3v3 unit. Navy looked like they adjusted this week and put 11 on the wing….nice supporting role, which helped.
Loyola was at a huge disadvantage all year at the face off dot…this board can complain and criticize kids all day on Loyola on offense and defense but we started every game at a massive disadvantage

Defense has to play more minutes under pressure

Offense had to play really well to offset the possession and in some cases shot disadvantage

We finished 68th out of 73 teams in face off percentage. 68th!!!

With the out of conference schedule we play and the exponential disadvantage at the face off dot, I’m actually surprised we won 7 games.

And I’m not saying that’s acceptable or good - I’m just calling out the elephant in the room as the major part of the story this season

Last two games lost the FO battle 18-10 and I think 18-8…we lost both games by 2 goals. 10 days before at Navy we had an ok showing at FO still losing the stat of course (I think that night we only lost face offs 14-12)…and guess what, Loyola won that game and was in control most of the night.

Are there other things to talk about, sure - but just calling out the obvious.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”