D1 Mens Lacrosse
Abr2016

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Abr2016 »

He beat them last year in the regular season
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Abr2016 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:55 pm He beat them last year in the regular season
Yes, he did. But Toomey and Loyola have a 5-2 record against him.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Abr2016 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:55 pm He beat them last year in the regular season
The problem with Navy you say you have a great recruiting class 4/5,stars, and you can’t get to Friday. Hopefully we will see you in WP
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

lorin wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:10 pm
The problem with Navy you say you have a great recruiting class 4/5,stars, and you can’t get to Friday. Hopefully we will see you in WP
That is true. Hopefully, that will change.
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

lorin wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:10 pm
My point was that Navy was really good in 2015 and 2016. In 2016 navy had the same season as the Army team of last year (within 1 goal of the Final Four). And by 2019, the coach was fired. And since then - Navy has been nowhere near that good.

That wasn’t good enough apparently. Maybe expectations have lowered. I don’t disagree with that, I am sure they should be somewhere in the middle.
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:05 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:35 am
camskidamski wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:59 am Glad someone started this thread before I did this year, sorry for my tardiness.

From what I have gathered, there are a few notable names who we can discuss with being on the hot seat this summer and for the '24-'25 season:

Let's Talk About Them
Mike Daly, Brown
Nick Meyers, Ohio State
Randy Mearns, St. Bonaventure

Daly - he has been average to slightly below average in his time at Brown, though I feel like he will be afforded another year to get things back on track. The IVY league is interesting and Brown feels that they should be a perennial top 4 team in the conference but it will have to improve quickly for the Brown Bears. Check the Brown lacrosse page on this site for all of the fun stuff they are saying :lol:

Meyers - he has done a great job at OSU and the BIG 10 is loaded every year. Tough to win games in that league but maybe OSU feels that they need to be more competitive with the resources they have. Moving on from a coach of his tenure would surely shake things up.

Mearns - I hesitate including him here due to his track record but these last two seasons have been abysmal and it might be time for a new and (younger) perspective for the Bonnies. Regardless, something has to change up there after winning only two games in the last two seasons combined.

Keep an eye on
Justin Turri, St. Johns
John Danowski, Duke
Kevin Corrigan, Notre Dame
Joe Breschi, North Carolina
Joe Amplo, Navy

Turri - obviously he is not similar to any of the other guys on this list but the Johnnies have been really bad since he got there. With only a couple seasons under his belt, nothing should be imminent yet, but keep an eye on it going forward. Also, wonder how the team dynamic is with his brother as an assistant coach...don't think it's a bad thing just curious.

Danowski - any opinions on when the legend will hang up the whistle? If O'Neill and Duke can win it all in May, I would not be surprised in the slightest if the 2024 season is all for Dino.

Corrigan - same with Corrigan...would going back to back be too good of an opportunity to pass on for calling it a career? I think he has a couple more good years in South Bend, especially with Chris Kav still there.

Breschi - wonder if the last win against Duke could be a ride into the sunset moment, albeit coming off a not so great season. UNC is still a young team with a lot of production coming back next season. With a recently restructured and extended contract, I think he has another year or two to make it back to a final four.

Amplo - the Navy thread on this page was coming for his throat after that Towson loss but Navy has had a steady year. He does have a couple of wins against Army (not to be ignored at all) and Hopkins, though their Patriot League tournament performances have been tough. I do not expect to see him leave but Navy Lax "Old Goats" seem to have the ability to make things change when they want to, so keep an eye out soon.
Mearns is retiring there
Ehhh. Not sure about this one. If he were to "retire," I don't think it'd be by choice.

Bonnies just got a new AD so I'm not sure if he'll be thrilled with the 0-5 (x2) conference record. Or the 2-24 combined record after the past two seasons.
Yep. If they don't get a conference win soon, I don't know if the decision will be his. In addition, they need to soon at least become more competitive in several conference games that they may end up losing.
"Get a conference win" is a tough climb in the A-10 for Bonnies. They went from club to D1 in 2019, were winless the first two years, then lost in MAAC semis and finals in 2021 and 2022 (granted, it was with a PLL-caliber goalie).

The other five teams in the A-10 have all been ranked in the last three seasons (even Hobart), and have stronger products to sell to recruits. They'd be in the mix in the MAAC or could get some OOC wins by scheduling an easier slate, but that's not their fate.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hens coming to the A-10 next year ?

Bonnies will have to deal with that additional competition.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:55 am Hens coming to the A-10 next year ?

Bring back the Yankee Conference! //s
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

JustPassingThrough wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:29 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:05 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:35 am

Mearns is retiring there
Ehhh. Not sure about this one. If he were to "retire," I don't think it'd be by choice.

Bonnies just got a new AD so I'm not sure if he'll be thrilled with the 0-5 (x2) conference record. Or the 2-24 combined record after the past two seasons.
Yep. If they don't get a conference win soon, I don't know if the decision will be his. In addition, they need to soon at least become more competitive in several conference games that they may end up losing.
"Get a conference win" is a tough climb in the A-10 for Bonnies. They went from club to D1 in 2019, were winless the first two years, then lost in MAAC semis and finals in 2021 and 2022 (granted, it was with a PLL-caliber goalie).

The other five teams in the A-10 have all been ranked in the last three seasons (even Hobart), and have stronger products to sell to recruits. They'd be in the mix in the MAAC or could get some OOC wins by scheduling an easier slate, but that's not their fate.
Utah also went from Club to D1 in 2019 and they're on their second coach doing pretty well. I know its a different school with different support, but still...

Bonnies went 11-4 in 2022. They lost 12-11 to St Joes that year, and then lost 18-9 a year later in 2023. This year it was 14-0 at halftime... 24-3 final. Bonnies are declining rapidly. The only win of the year is against Canisius who didn't make the Maac tourney.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

While it makes sense I would be surprised if Delaware is in the A-10 next year
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:09 am

I think they're aiming for 2026
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:24 pm I originally brought up Bucknell's Frank Fedorjaka. I think they give him another chance. Not only is his relationship with the university strong, but he had a super young team this year. All top ten scorers will return in 2025. And eight were either freshmen or sophomores. Two of the defenders, as well as the goalie return, too. Also, they were competitive in several games. Including an OT loss to Navy to end the season.

However, if the Bison miss the Patriot League Tournament for the third consecutive time in 2025, there may well be a change.
Bucknell is opening a new lacrosse team house new practice fields and many upgrades to the stadium. Got to think the pressure to win now is greater than ever.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:14 am
Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:09 am

I think they're aiming for 2026
If they expand the NCAA tournament to 24 I could see this happening. When AQ is the only realistic hope of making the tournament, SJU and Richmond were close for at large consideration this year, bringing in Delaware makes winning the A-10 AQ that much more difficult. Would think Big East teams feel the same way about it.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Seems some of you got your wish. Mike Daly out at Brown
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Woo boy that press release is short.

Some thoughts on Brown. Just spitballing/pure speculation:

Kip Turner - UVA assistant
Mason Poli - Quinnipiac HC
Ryan Wellner - Notre Dame DC
Mike Silipo - BU OC
Chris Gabrielli - Bryant assistant
Neil Hutchinson - Harvard OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

I don't see many sitting head coaches that make much sense. I suppose Galloway could throw his hat in the ring as he's done for several other jobs. Maybe Colgate's surprisingly good season gets Karweck's name thrown in the pile
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:50 pm Woo boy that press release is short.

Mike Silipo - BU OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

I don't see many sitting head coaches that make much sense. I suppose Galloway could throw his hat in the ring as he's done for several other jobs. Maybe Colgate's surprisingly good season gets Karweck's name thrown in the pile
If Kirwan waited one more year...
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Mike Silipo - BU OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

If that is there list then they have big problems in Providence minus maybe Wellner
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

courtdog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 pm

Mike Silipo - BU OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

If that is there list then they have big problems in Providence minus maybe Wellner
Who's a bigger name than those guys who is a realistic option? All ears
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Interesting development. My short list of calls:

Jon Thompson, UNC, Brown Alum
Ryan Wellner, Notre Dame
Neil Hutchinson, Harvard
Kyle Georgalas, Army
Mike Abbott, Penn

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”