UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NYlax222

Re: UNC 2024

Post by NYlax222 »

agree with others. Realize not many anticipated a Carolina win by 5+ goals, but super strange that ooaching staff didn't seem to manage to that goal. Hard to believe nobody on staff did 'what does it take for us to make ACC (however unlikely)'. Fantastic win by a team having a rough year, but odd how they managed it.
lorin

Post by lorin »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 pm
coda wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:49 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 pm Why does Duke get into the ACC Tournament instead of UNC?
Goal differential tie breaker.

If UNC had won by 5 goals they would have clinched an ACC tournament berth. Instead, their season ended when UVA lost. One could argue that Coach Breschi should have discussed with the team that they needed to win by at least five goals. Reportedly, he never did during today’s game.

DocBarrister
Brutal way to go down. Basically, some garbage goals ended the season
Yep. It’s hard to argue about any win over Duke.

Having said that, folks will debate whether UNC should have tried to score that open net goal. That would have left maybe 30 seconds to win the FO and score another goal to clinch the ACC tournament spot.

Again, hard to argue against UNC focusing solely on getting the win. That was job one.

DocBarrister
Hard to argue? job one at UNC is to get in the NCAA Tournament, so they should of scored and try to win the FO,
coda

Post by coda »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:30 pm
coda wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:49 pm
Brutal way to go down. Basically, some garbage goals ended the season
From what I can tell, the players had no idea about the goal differential tie-breaker, which if true is absolutely shocking.

ETA: I don't follow UNC, Duke, or the ACC particularly closely, and I knew about the 5-goal goal differential threshold. How in the hell could the UNC coaches and players not have known?
Given the fact that they didn’t try to score on an empty net, it’s pretty obvious that nobody on UNC was aware of the situation. They could have scored there and put their hopes in Wambach to score quick off the faceoff. That is an amazing omission from the staff
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

coda wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:21 am Given the fact that they didn’t try to score on an empty net, it’s pretty obvious that nobody on UNC was aware of the situation. They could have scored there and put their hopes in Wambach to score quick off the faceoff. That is an amazing omission from the staff
I wonder if it extends back even further than that. You'd have to think that, up 9 early in the 4th with no idea that they needed to win by 5, they somewhat took their foot off the gas.

Simply inexcusable, especially given the circumstances surrounding their lone NC under Breschi. Get hot, make the ACC, squeak into the tourney, go for a ride. Instead it looks like they just gave up.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Question: Did the final score of the ND vs. UVA game factor into UNC making the ACC’s? Or was it as simple as - if ND wins, and UNC by 5, UNC is in?
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:52 am Question: Did the final score of the ND vs. UVA game factor into UNC making the ACC’s? Or was it as simple as - if ND wins, and UNC by 5, UNC is in?
The score of the ND/UVA game had no bearing. The tiebreaker in question was cumulative score between the three teams in the 3-way tiebreak.

Had UVA won, UNC would have been in on head-to-head over Duke. But the score of the UVA game was irrelevant.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:09 am
Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:52 am Question: Did the final score of the ND vs. UVA game factor into UNC making the ACC’s? Or was it as simple as - if ND wins, and UNC by 5, UNC is in?
The score of the ND/UVA game had no bearing. The tiebreaker in question was cumulative score between the three teams in the 3-way tiebreak.

Had UVA won, UNC would have been in on head-to-head over Duke. But the score of the UVA game was irrelevant.
If that was the case, how does the entire coaching staff and team not know going into that game what their path to the ACC’s was? Incomprehensible!
coda

Post by coda »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:13 am
ICGrad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:09 am

If that was the case, how does the entire coaching staff and team not know going into that game what their path to the ACC’s was? Incomprehensible!
I understand not telling the team going into the game. Just focus on winning. You don’t want them pressing, but somewhere between halftime and the start of the 4Q, you have to bring it up to the team
NCC

Post by NCC »

Take the following into consideration about whether UNC plays for goal differential going into the game, or at any point during the game.

UNC’s record and how they played the last 2 years and this season.

Meaningful games this season and past seasons having 1 quarter, often late quarter, that gives back the game.

Remember High Point game with late seven unanswered goals.

The game of lacrosse and its “runs”, heck UNC scored 3 in 20 seconds before the half, with #2 Duke, coming back late in the game.

Then start dropping goal differential with a team that has a history of playing 3 out of 4 quarters. Hands grip sticks tighter, forced plays, turnovers etc.

Given their status, UNC was / is in the position to walk before they run.

Enjoy the major upset victory.

Go Heels!
coda

Post by coda »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:35 am
coda wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:21 am Given the fact that they didn’t try to score on an empty net, it’s pretty obvious that nobody on UNC was aware of the situation. They could have scored there and put their hopes in Wambach to score quick off the faceoff. That is an amazing omission from the staff
I wonder if it extends back even further than that. You'd have to think that, up 9 early in the 4th with no idea that they needed to win by 5, they somewhat took their foot off the gas.

Simply inexcusable, especially given the circumstances surrounding their lone NC under Breschi. Get hot, make the ACC, squeak into the tourney, go for a ride. Instead it looks like they just gave up.
It definitely should have happened earlier. I am just using the last possession as evidence that nobody on UNC realized they had a shot to extend the season
coda

Post by coda »

NCC wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:58 am Take the following into consideration about whether UNC plays for goal differential going into the game, or at any point during the game.

Meaningful games this season and past seasons having 1 quarter, often late quarter, that gives back the game.

The game of lacrosse and its “runs”, heck UNC scored 3 in 20 seconds before the half, with #2 Duke, coming back late in the game.

Then start dropping goal differential with a team that has a history of playing 3 out of 4 quarters. Hands grip sticks tighter, forced plays, turnovers etc.

Go Heels!
I get what you are saying, but the truth is winning by less than 5 is essentially a loss. UNC had a chance to save their season and make a run to the NCAa tournament.
lorin

Post by lorin »

coda wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:18 pm
NCC wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:58 am Take the following into consideration about whether UNC plays for goal differential going into the game, or at any point during the game.

Go Heels!
I get what you are saying, but the truth is winning by less than 5 is essentially a loss. UNC had a chance to save their season and make a run to the NCAa tournament.
Trying to understand you ask the kids to work their ass off in off season weigh training, cardio etc, then during the season balance school and lax.
to my knowledge coaches don't teach or do other jobs at school, their only job is lacrosse and you don't know you have to win my five.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

This sums it up: gritty win by UNC players who never gave up on themselves…..great lasting memory on a disappointing season.

Inexcusable coaching blunder to be unaware of what it took to guarantee a post season bid. Coaching staff responsible for lack of post season play. Could have reminded the team of the five goal differential need. Someone needs to take responsibility.

Despite that blunder, i prefer to think arrow is pointing up. Three ACC teams lose a lot, UNC returning key pieces, strong incoming additions, and they showed they can hang with Syracuse/ Duke/ ND for a half, etc….i prefer to be optimistic though i expect the negative naysayers to have their input, too.
Congrats to UNC for a great win yesterday
CloutierPoutine

Post by CloutierPoutine »

Easy to look at the negatives of a blown lead but you have to be ecstatic we were even in that position! Guessing most everyone expected a Notre Dame or UVA deficit in defeat. Brady Wambach is legit and so is Dom when he plays efficient. Beating Dook is always so very rewarding. Lets hope Owen Duffy gets healthy and we can return to the top of the ACC next year.
CloutierPoutine

Post by CloutierPoutine »

lorin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:32 pm UNC O flowed better without Duffy?
Good for UNC, because he won't be there next year.
Lol.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Laxfan23 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 pm This sums it up: gritty win by UNC players who never gave up on themselves…..great lasting memory on a disappointing season.

Inexcusable coaching blunder to be unaware of what it took to guarantee a post season bid. Coaching staff responsible for lack of post season play. Could have reminded the team of the five goal differential need. Someone needs to take responsibility.

Despite that blunder, i prefer to think arrow is pointing up. Three ACC teams lose a lot, UNC returning key pieces, strong incoming additions, and they showed they can hang with Syracuse/ Duke/ ND for a half, etc….i prefer to be optimistic though i expect the negative naysayers to have their input, too.
Congrats to UNC for a great win yesterday

I think more than three ACC teams ‘lose a lot’ next year. Cuse, UVA, Duke, and ND lose major pieces. That’s four teams.

Also, I think Joe, to the extent his job had any doubt, put away any discussion of not returning. There’s almost zero chance the AD is aware of the goal differential issue. The Heels return who they need to, have a great recruiting class (again), and bring back a major piece of lacrosse success, the FOGO. You’d have to assume they’ll be strong next year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Laxfan23 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 pm
Inexcusable coaching blunder to be unaware of what it took to guarantee a post season bid. Coaching staff responsible for lack of post season play. Could have reminded the team of the five goal differential need.
There’s no ACC Automatic Qualifier.

UNC is too far back of the pack for an At Large.

The ACC is simply to secure the best possible NCAAs position.
coda

Post by coda »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:48 pm
Inexcusable coaching blunder to be unaware of what it took to guarantee a post season bid. Coaching staff responsible for lack of post season play. Could have reminded the team of the five goal differential need.

Pretty sure he meant post-season as the ACC tournament, which would extend the UNC and give them a chance to get in the tournament. If UNC won the ACC tournament, there is a solid chance they get into the tournament. They would have ended with wins over Duke and 2 out of 3 from Cuse,ND, and UVa. Even if you think it was a long shot, it is still infinitely better odds than they have today
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

coda wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:55 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:48 pm

Pretty sure he meant post-season as the ACC tournament, which would extend the UNC and give them a chance to get in the tournament. If UNC won the ACC tournament, there is a solid chance they get into the tournament. They would have ended with wins over Duke and 2 out of 3 from Cuse,ND, and UVa. Even if you think it was a long shot, it is still infinitely better odds than they have today
UNC is too far behind,
even if they were to run the table.

Its not just their winning,
they’d need way too many teams ahead of them to
fall off the cliff.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:22 pm UNC is too far behind,
even if they were to run the table.
Looking at the RPI, I think you're right. They currently sit @ 21, even after the Duke win. No way they make up that many spots, even if they did win the ACC tourney.

I imagine, though, that the kids would have loved to have had the shot. Imagine, the ACC finally brings back their tourney, and the team that wins it the first year back not only doesn't get a bid, but sees the other 4 teams in the conference get a bid. Hell, I'd pay to see that movie...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”