UVA 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hooz123

Re: UVA 2024

Post by Hooz123 »

Well now we know why cassese slummed it up at Lehigh. Dude can’t coach.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Hooz123 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 pm Well now we know why cassese slummed it up at Lehigh. Dude can’t coach.
That's a hot take. You got any stats from this season that back that up?
molo

Post by molo »

ND win the gb battle against a team that usually wins it. Criticize the OC if you will, but UVA didn’t get much offense from any of their usual leaders except for their all time leading goal scorer. I would say it was a bit curious on that late possession to see the third attackman and a midfielder who I don’t think
had a point handle the ball so much.
With apologies to the old Brooklyn fans, wait till next week.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

molo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 pm ND win the gb battle against a team that usually wins it. Criticize the OC if you will, but UVA didn’t get much offense from any of their usual leaders except for their all time leading goal scorer. I would say it was a bit curious on that late possession to see the third attackman and a midfielder who I don’t think
had a point handle the ball so much.
With apologies to the old Brooklyn fans, wait till next week.
Lyght was on Shellenberger. I fully appreciate Shelly's greatness over his career, but it seems like there is one super-type defender that can contain him...the rare pole that can match feet. Zappitello has done the best over a career against #1, and it looks like Lyght had him contained as well. That's 2 out of hundreds that Shellenberger has faced, so it's not a mark against him at all.
I just think they probably saw better matchups elsewhere.
molo

Post by molo »

I agree that Lyght was playing Shellenberger pretty well, but do you really want a first year man who hadn’t done much all day or a big middie whose game is overpowering smaller defensive players but who was struggling to key the possession? That possession took me back a generation to a game at Rutgers in which Gill never got the ball late against SU. I believe it was the game that Tim Hardy scored the winning goal for the Cuse.
The reality today is that UVA was playing poorly across the board on offense. I’ve said before where I thought they were vulnerable, but I thought the top six offensive players were solid. Not so much today though,
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

molo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 pm I agree that Lyght was playing Shellenberger pretty well, but do you really want a first year man who hadn’t done much all day or a big middie whose game is overpowering smaller defensive players but who was struggling to key the possession? That possession took me back a generation to a game at Rutgers in which Gill never got the ball late against SU. I believe it was the game that Tim Hardy scored the winning goal for the Cuse.
The reality today is that UVA was playing poorly across the board on offense. I’ve said before where I thought they were vulnerable, but I thought the top six offensive players were solid. Not so much today though,
I don't know, I'm just a Terp fan hoping we score more than 5 goals next week watching 2 top teams today. To me, this feels like 2021 when UVA looked pretty bad, but we all know this team can beat anyone. I just find it funny that they could enter the tournament on a 5 game losing streak and still be 1 of the betting favorites to win it all. Some top seed is gonna be really sad to draw the Hoos early on.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 pm
molo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 pm I agree that Lyght was playing Shellenberger pretty well, but do you really want a first year man who hadn’t done much all day or a big middie whose game is overpowering smaller defensive players but who was struggling to key the possession? That possession took me back a generation to a game at Rutgers in which Gill never got the ball late against SU. I believe it was the game that Tim Hardy scored the winning goal for the Cuse.
I don't know, I'm just a Terp fan hoping we score more than 5 goals next week watching 2 top teams today. To me, this feels like 2021 when UVA looked pretty bad, but we all know this team can beat anyone. I just find it funny that they could enter the tournament on a 5 game losing streak and still be 1 of the betting favorites to win it all. Some top seed is gonna be really sad to draw the Hoos early on.
the most they could lose going into the tounament is 4. and if they play like they did in the 2nd half today, no one should be scared.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:25 pm
the most they could lose going into the tounament is 4. and if they play like they did in the 2nd half today, no one should be scared.
You win the fact battle, yes the streak can only be 4. I can speak from a fan's experience from 2022, when my team was on a historical run and dominated a down UVA team in the regular season....it sucked to see them in the bracket again. Tillman was not happy. I can guarantee that neither Duke, JHU, Syracuse or Denver want to play UVA to have to get to the final 4. Even Notre Dame could have to beat UVA 3 times in 4-5 weeks to get to win the championship again. Today's win wasn't exactly easy for the Irish; things can change when it matters like it did last year.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

27 TOs. 24 less GBs. Only 2 shots in 4th qtr. lost all FO’s in 4th qtr. 3 less EMOs to the #1 EMO team.

Should have lost by more than 2.
Suitcase

Post by Suitcase »

How many career points would Shelly have if he didn’t play half his games on the klockner surface? Seems like he has to be so careful / safe on his change of direction . He and 90 were both stepping gingerly all day imo. Time for field turf
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Suitcase wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:56 am How many career points would Shelly have if he didn’t play half his games on the klockner surface? Seems like he has to be so careful / safe on his change of direction . He and 90 were both stepping gingerly all day imo. Time for field turf
Agree, I’ve thought this the last 2 times ND played at klockner. There was also the mudbowl between these two in 2015. Any time there’s a little moisture that surface is a skating rink.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Hooz123 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 pm Well now we know why cassese slummed it up at Lehigh. Dude can’t coach.
Gotta ask…..you can certainly be dissatisfied, but looking at your
Posts…….Are you 12?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Correction.... It was Tom Hardy (Homer, NY) for the win in OT that day.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Ain't that the truth.
Finster

Post by Finster »

tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:05 pm
Ain't that the truth.

I’d like to add St Joe’s to this list of which teams you don’t want to face.
molo

Post by molo »

Sorry for the typo or maybe Freudian slip. I’m Tom. My brother is Tim. I went on to meet Tom and Dan’s father several years after when the Cuse was playing at Loyola. Nice family. I miss hardware’s commentary. I don’t think he made over from LP.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

molo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:59 pm Sorry for the typo or maybe Freudian slip. I’m Tom. My brother is Tim. I went on to meet Tom and Dan’s father several years after when the Cuse was playing at Loyola. Nice family. I miss hardware’s commentary. I don’t think he made over from LP.
He has been very busy with lacrosse. He might drop in and read but is not posting
molo

Post by molo »

Despite the understandable doom and gloom on the UVA board, there is room for optimism about the upcoming rematch. Notwithstanding the justifiable criticisms of Saturday’s performance, it remains that the best team in the country won by just two goals in a game in which they won the gb battle by about 25. That’s not likely to happen again on Friday. Had UVA won the gb contest or at least made it competitive, maybe the offense would have performed better. I admit being wrong in my prediction and acknowledge that ND is the better team, but UVA is close enough to them that I would be difficult to beat them twice in week.
I’ll probably be wrong again, but I think the UVA offense wakes up and wins Friday. For what it’s worth, ND has a home playoff game locked up while UVA is playing for a home first round game and maybe for a first round game period.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

molo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:24 pm Despite the understandable doom and gloom on the UVA board, there is room for optimism about the upcoming rematch. Notwithstanding the justifiable criticisms of Saturday’s performance, it remains that the best team in the country won by just two goals in a game in which they won the gb battle by about 25. That’s not likely to happen again on Friday. Had UVA won the gb contest or at least made it competitive, maybe the offense would have performed better. I admit being wrong in my prediction and acknowledge that ND is the better team, but UVA is close enough to them that I would be difficult to beat them twice in week.
I’ll probably be wrong again, but I think the UVA offense wakes up and wins Friday. For what it’s worth, ND has a home playoff game locked up while UVA is playing for a home first round game and maybe for a first round game period.
If UVA loses again, they might get in the NCAAs as an unseeded entry. The Cavaliers would probably be the most onerous opponent for any seeded team.

I nominate Cornell to get screwed by a first-round matchup against a 10-5 Virginia. ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

That's a flight, doc: over 400 miles. UVa is coming to Hopkins :D

And they certainly get in. Even with a loss to ND in the ACC semis, UVa will still have RPI around #8.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”