Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by jhu06 »

promising start to the day ends not so good with penn state and nd winning. The guys are the earlier game according to the big ten website so that's probably better for more rest should they advance to saturday nights game.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Blue Jays currently:

#2 in RPI
#3 in SOS

Top 5 RPI wins: 0
Top 10 RPI wins: 4 (UVA, MD, Penn State, GT)
Top 15 RPI wins: 1 (Michigan)
Top 20 RPI wins: 3 (Towson, Loyola, North Carolina)

:shock:

I think the Blue Jays are ensured a top 8 seed.

If they win their B1G game against Michigan, they should guarantee themselves a 3 to 6 seed.

Win the B1G tournament and Hopkins will be a top 2 seed. :o

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
kennypowers

Post by kennypowers »

Great to see the Petros take down Duke today.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 pm Blue Jays currently:

#2 in RPI
#3 in SOS

Top 5 RPI wins: 0
Top 10 RPI wins: 4 (UVA, MD, Penn State, GT)
Top 15 RPI wins: 1 (Michigan)
Top 20 RPI wins: 3 (Towson, Loyola, North Carolina)

:shock:

I think the Blue Jays are ensured a top 8 seed.

If they win their B1G game against Michigan, they should guarantee themselves a 3 to 6 seed.

Win the B1G tournament and Hopkins will be a top 2 seed. :o

DocBarrister :)
As 51 would say there are games to be played before selection sunday. The acc schools, other b1g schools are playing top 10 rpi teams and so even with losses they're not going to move much. You lose to 16 rpi michigan, get some bad luck like an ivy power making a strong weekend and all the sudden you're looking at the back of the seeded situation getting a georgetown instead of a 1 bid conference team and a trip to long island to face duke or notre dame.

Gotta stop weitfelt, get a stronger offensive start, stay healthy, clear well (hello virginia)and not give a desperate Michigan team the sort of chance to do what UNC did today-and Michigan only needs to win by 1 not 5.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kennypowers wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 pm Great to see the Petros take down Duke today.
His son has some really nice form shooting. Ryan Brown train him?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:05 pm As 51 would say there are games to be played before selection sunday.
Yes - I hope the team can focus on the BIG Tournament and specifically Michigan of course. All the mental gymnastics we have done about RPI/SOS/QWFs etc. goes partly in the dumpster with a loss right away. Sunday AM thoughts:
- Watched the WWM vodcast - someone please tell Russell that a flat wide brim hat is not a good look on older men - slightly interesting to hear PM speak about a third party outfit hired to provide recovery/preparation consulting and that the practce schedule was a little more intense than I might have imagined ie. didn't sound like the boys got a spring break so to speak just an extra day or two.
- Our boy Quint made a comment about the only teams he thought would benefit from a lay-off were Hopkins and Maryland - saying those two teams were "beat up". That a) made me wonder does he read these posts and b) if he doesn't to whom is he referring
- I didn't think the #1 team of Anish and Q had a very good game yesterday - they completely bungled - IMO - the ACC tie breaker rules and missed some pretty obvious points - i.e. the disputed Duke goal when it rolled past Krieg
- If the 5 goal differential rule was a big deal - shouldn't Carolina (i.e Breschi) have known that? 2 strategies that were not employed - a time out to stop the 6 goal run (or a second TO if they called one I don't remember) and they should have scored on the empty net to get it back to 4 and give their freshman FO man one more crack at a possession.
- In terms of Michigan - it's a somewhat easy discussion. After the first quarter - FOs were dead even and Chayse's 15 saves and Hopkins 4 fewer turnovers evened out the posessions. Hopkins took 43 shots - if they take 43 with 27 on goal there's a decent chance they're getting to 12/13/14 and then it's a challenge against the Hopkins defense. Michigan is a team of knowns - they are going as far as Tiernan/Boehm/Cohen/Lockwood will take them - which unfortunately could be further than we want. They scored 9 of Michigan's 11 goals in March. Tiernan requires discipline - he's a genius at sliding to uncovered spaces.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:40 am
jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:05 pm As 51 would say there are games to be played before selection sunday.
Yes - I hope the team can focus on the BIG Tournament and specifically Michigan of course. All the mental gymnastics we have done about RPI/SOS/QWFs etc. goes partly in the dumpster with a loss right away. Sunday AM thoughts:
- Watched the WWM vodcast - someone please tell Russell that a flat wide brim hat is not a good look on older men - slightly interesting to hear PM speak about a third party outfit hired to provide recovery/preparation consulting and that the practce schedule was a little more intense than I might have imagined ie. didn't sound like the boys got a spring break so to speak just an extra day or two.
- Our boy Quint made a comment about the only teams he thought would benefit from a lay-off were Hopkins and Maryland - saying those two teams were "beat up". That a) made me wonder does he read these posts and b) if he doesn't to whom is he referring
- I didn't think the #1 team of Anish and Q had a very good game yesterday - they completely bungled - IMO - the ACC tie breaker rules and missed some pretty obvious points - i.e. the disputed Duke goal when it rolled past Krieg
- If the 5 goal differential rule was a big deal - shouldn't Carolina (i.e Breschi) have known that? 2 strategies that were not employed - a time out to stop the 6 goal run (or a second TO if they called one I don't remember) and they should have scored on the empty net to get it back to 4 and give their freshman FO man one more crack at a possession.
- In terms of Michigan - it's a somewhat easy discussion. After the first quarter - FOs were dead even and Chayse's 15 saves and Hopkins 4 fewer turnovers evened out the posessions. Hopkins took 43 shots - if they take 43 with 27 on goal there's a decent chance they're getting to 12/13/14 and then it's a challenge against the Hopkins defense. Michigan is a team of knowns - they are going as far as Tiernan/Boehm/Cohen/Lockwood will take them - which unfortunately could be further than we want. They scored 9 of Michigan's 11 goals in March. Tiernan requires discipline - he's a genius at sliding to uncovered spaces.
It's a long weekend at Homewood if they start 14-3 and 18-9 on faceoffs and gbs again.

https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... stats/2024
Michigan had one of the best offensive days against JK's defense this year. 324 shooting percentage-2nd highest, 76% sog-highest on the season-their offense generated quality looks and quality shots, 3 man up goals-highest on the year against hopkins, 10 assists-tied for 2nd highest.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

There is no doubt that if Hopkins is ill prepared to play - Thursday will likely not go well. But there are things to consider from that first game - 2 Michigan goals were a direct result of the Hopkins defender breaking his stick and having to run off the field leaving at the time the nation's leading goal scorer completely uncovered. I am hoping that doesn't happen again. I woud like to think we could avoid 4 penalties for 3 minutes of time but that appears to be very wishful thinking - still - dreamers can dream.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

coda

Post by coda »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:40 am
I think this game comes down to Michigan's biggest strength and its biggest weakness. Michigan will need to dominate the face off and get a a good performance in the goal to win.. Without that Hopkins wins comfortably
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

LaxAllStars wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:51 am https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... 29th-2024/

Top 20 prior to Championship Week.
Easy Quint - the folks that think you are a Hopkins Homer are going to come out of the woodwork. Here's what he had to say about his second ranked team in the country:

"Hopkins (10-3) face-off productivity is a leaky roof with storms brewing. That and a sluggish pace-of-play metric will be fascinating to track as the Jays seek their first championship weekend since 2015. They are playing at a snail’s pace in the Big Ten, the data confirms that notion, JHU owns the slowest pace-of-play rating in the league. Against more potent opponents, Hopkins will need to generate goals outside of the standard 6 on 6."

"A March loss to Navy and overtime win at Ohio State seemingly forgotten by giddy fans. “

Oh but here are his comments about maybe the best overall 6v6 defense in the country - a GAA under 10 in the shot clock era with a SOS of 3. The first Hopkins goalie to be poised for well north of 50% save percentage in probably over a decade. A timely offense that has cut down turnovers and hasn't panicked in the face of early adversity - here are those comments in all their glory [" "]

So again - are his comments incorrect? No they are not. But can there be some context? For example - the face-off situation may - I say may - have a small silver lining in that cloud. First the stats - In the BiG Hopkins was 27 up 27 down in face-offs in the second half (though 0-2 in OT) including 8 wins in the second half against Michigan. I guess Dunn has been banged up to some degree but Callahan with approx. 200 face-offs and Dunn with approx. 100 is a lighter work load than many - I know PSU is also a 50/50 face-off tandem.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

His concerns are not enough transition goals, faceoffs, and pace of play. I looked for some of his 2021 top 20s and couldn't find them, but that's a long way from where this program has been. He might want to tell the editor to whack the capitals thing-they were eliminated last night and went into the game down 3-0. Beninati is a pro-hopefully he'll have a happy tale to tell this weekend for us. I'd also put Carc back on the field rather than in the press box.

In Tillmans comments after the win at college park last year he talked about Hopkins pace of play as well and I think mentioned that Hopkins had one of the higher ones according to their data. I think 51 pointed out there've been fewer transition goals this year.

I haven't been watching the coaches show interviews. Maybe it's been discussed there.

Xanders started with his portal scoops as quint noted 34 d1 teams are already done plus however many d3 teams and 2024 recruits might be having second thoughts. It's an ugly piece of this. I counted 28 guys on the roster who if I saw their number on a jersey I'd have to double check to find the name. Arteaga and Martin were not on that list of 28.
coda

Post by coda »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:37 am His concerns are not enough transition goals, faceoffs, and pace of play. I looked for some of his 2021 top 20s and couldn't find them, but that's a long way from where this program has been. He might want to tell the editor to whack the capitals thing-they were eliminated last night and went into the game down 3-0. Beninati is a pro-hopefully he'll have a happy tale to tell this weekend for us. I'd also put Carc back on the field rather than in the press box.

In Tillmans comments after the win at college park last year he talked about Hopkins pace of play as well and I think mentioned that Hopkins had one of the higher ones according to their data. I think 51 pointed out there've been fewer transition goals this year.

I haven't been watching the coaches show interviews. Maybe it's been discussed there.

Xanders started with his portal scoops as quint noted 34 d1 teams are already done plus however many d3 teams and 2024 recruits might be having second thoughts. It's an ugly piece of this. I counted 28 guys on the roster who if I saw their number on a jersey I'd have to double check to find the name. Arteaga and Martin were not on that list of 28.
According to Lax Reference, Hopkins is 71st in the country in pace of play

https://lacrossereference.com/stats/pace-d1-men/
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The Jays have slowed it way down in recent weeks, in no small part due to the style and opponents of Big Ten play. They weren't playing this slow earlier in the year. Unlike a lot of teams, they've shown an ability to win in both higher-scoring uptempo games and in much slower slugfests. That versatility may come in handy pretty soon. There are some teams that play a certain way very well but when they need to adjust they are not able to do it. Ideally, yes, they slow things down to lessen the impact of faceoffs and to let the D play in settled 6v6 situations where they are elite.

What Quint is saying isn't necessarily wrong, but the fact that he spends the entire section criticizing his own #2 team in the country coming off a bye week is telling. Cuse was also off last week, if he's in the business of poking holes then perhaps Q could have pointed out that the Orange are giving up 15 goals per game in the last month, but no nothing about that, just Cuse enjoying their tranquil weekend. Hell, he had more to say about the Jays during their off week than he did about Duke after they played like absolute dogsh*t against Carolina or UVA after their second-half meltdown vs. ND culminating in a third straight loss. More words about Hopkins' pace of play than Duke's offense looking like a bad club team for the second time in ACC play despite having Brennan O'Neill.

It's all intentional. He's got an axe to grind and it's becoming unseemly.

I have truly no idea What the heck jhu06 is talking about re: Arteaga and Martin and jersey numbers and how that has anything to do with Ty Xanders, if anyone is able to translate. Might as well be speaking Aramaic
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:25 am
LaxAllStars wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:51 am https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... 29th-2024/

Easy Quint - the folks that think you are a Hopkins Homer are going to come out of the woodwork. Here's what he had to say about his second ranked team in the country:

"Hopkins (10-3) face-off productivity is a leaky roof with storms brewing. That and a sluggish pace-of-play metric will be fascinating to track as the Jays seek their first championship weekend since 2015. They are playing at a snail’s pace in the Big Ten, the data confirms that notion, JHU owns the slowest pace-of-play rating in the league. Against more potent opponents, Hopkins will need to generate goals outside of the standard 6 on 6."

"A March loss to Navy and overtime win at Ohio State seemingly forgotten by giddy fans. “

Oh but here are his comments about maybe the best overall 6v6 defense in the country - a GAA under 10 in the shot clock era with a SOS of 3. The first Hopkins goalie to be poised for well north of 50% save percentage in probably over a decade. A timely offense that has cut down turnovers and hasn't panicked in the face of early adversity - here are those comments in all their glory [" "]

So again - are his comments incorrect? No they are not. But can there be some context? For example - the face-off situation may - I say may - have a small silver lining in that cloud. First the stats - In the BiG Hopkins was 27 up 27 down in face-offs in the second half (though 0-2 in OT) including 8 wins in the second half against Michigan. I guess Dunn has been banged up to some degree but Callahan with approx. 200 face-offs and Dunn with approx. 100 is a lighter work load than many - I know PSU is also a 50/50 face-off tandem.
I think someone stated it before on this page about pace of play - and I think it is in relationship to mostly fast breaks and unsettled situations and that Hopkins needs to take some shots when given the opportunity. I think back to the Navy game at the end of the 1st half with about 20 seconds when an attackman (Melendez maybe) had received a pass in an unsettled situation at about 7-8 yards out. He should have shot it there. Pulled it back - forget it a time out was called but Hopkins never got a better look at the cage that half. I think that is an issue.

As I said they are playing into their strengths but they shouldn't forget about pushing play and being aggressive on offense because it could hurt them. It had been along time since they played SU and UVA.

Also, last time Hopkins had a starting goalie above 50% was Brock back in 2018 at .506% (so just barely). My guess is Schneider would be next but it wasn't the year you would think - 2015 year but the 2014 year. Before that it was Pierce in 2013 and 2012. But, yeah, 2 years of over 50% save percentage by Hopkins goalies in 10 years is no bueno.

*I'm of course only looking at the starting goalie that tended a majority of time between the pipes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:41 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:37 am His concerns are not enough transition goals, faceoffs, and pace of play. I looked for some of his 2021 top 20s and couldn't find them, but that's a long way from where this program has been. He might want to tell the editor to whack the capitals thing-they were eliminated last night and went into the game down 3-0. Beninati is a pro-hopefully he'll have a happy tale to tell this weekend for us. I'd also put Carc back on the field rather than in the press box.

According to Lax Reference, Hopkins is 71st in the country in pace of play

https://lacrossereference.com/stats/pace-d1-men/
PM also wanted the Blue Jays to play at a faster pace during a halftime interview.

In general, I think the Blue Jays need to ramp up their aggression on offense, especially the Big Guys in their dodges against SSDMs.

The Hopkins D is excellent, maybe the best in the nation right now, but the NCAA tournament will be full of teams that can rack up goals. The Hopkins O needs to ramp up their goal production. That will necessarily require taking more risk with transitional/early offense and more aggressive dodges by our big middies.

Can’t play too conservatively now that the regular season is done.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:23 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:25 am

I think someone stated it before on this page about pace of play - and I think it is in relationship to mostly fast breaks and unsettled situations and that Hopkins needs to take some shots when given the opportunity. I think back to the Navy game at the end of the 1st half with about 20 seconds when an attackman (Melendez maybe) had received a pass in an unsettled situation at about 7-8 yards out. He should have shot it there. Pulled it back - forget it a time out was called but Hopkins never got a better look at the cage that half. I think that is an issue.

As I said they are playing into their strengths but they shouldn't forget about pushing play and being aggressive on offense because it could hurt them. It had been along time since they played SU and UVA.

Also, last time Hopkins had a starting goalie above 50% was Brock back in 2018 at .506% (so just barely). My guess is Schneider would be next but it wasn't the year you would think - 2015 year but the 2014 year. Before that it was Pierce in 2013 and 2012. But, yeah, 2 years of over 50% save percentage by Hopkins goalies in 10 years is no bueno.

*I'm of course only looking at the starting goalie that tended a majority of time between the pipes.
I completely agree. Games get tougher in the tournament. It gets tough to score in the 6 v 6. You need to take advantage of transition opportunities to get some easy goals.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:56 am I have truly no idea What the heck jhu06 is talking about re: Arteaga and Martin and jersey numbers and how that has anything to do with Ty Xanders, if anyone is able to translate. Might as well be speaking Aramaic
I have no idea why he mentions Martin and Arteaga - I assume the overall comment was directed at the fact that while Hopkins has played a relatively high number of guys in almost every game - it is still the same guys - I count mid 30's on the stat sheet which means a fair number of people have not played one second. Potential good news - retention of some eligibility. Potential Bad news - underlying dissatisfaction and the portal awaits. I guess his reference to 34 teams done for the year is a thought to poaching. It is actually a fair point but not today - I am hoping not to think about next year's roster for another 28 days.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:56 am I have truly no idea What the heck jhu06 is talking about re: Arteaga and Martin and jersey numbers and how that has anything to do with Ty Xanders, if anyone is able to translate. Might as well be speaking Aramaic
:lol:
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:50 pm
I have no idea why he mentions Martin and Arteaga - I assume the overall comment was directed at the fact that while Hopkins has played a relatively high number of guys in almost every game - it is still the same guys - I count mid 30's on the stat sheet which means a fair number of people have not played one second. Potential good news - retention of some eligibility. Potential Bad news - underlying dissatisfaction and the portal awaits. I guess his reference to 34 teams done for the year is a thought to poaching. It is actually a fair point but not today - I am hoping not to think about next year's roster for another 28 days.
Converse could also be true. There could be 34 teams with players looking to transfer in envy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”