~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by houndace1 »

laxbro11 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:20 am
Hound93 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:41 am Got the W, that’s what’s important. Hounds will have a chance in any game against any team if they can win around 50% at the dot. They have the talent! Enjoy seeing Halls progression this season and he’s doing a great job changing his moves or needs on every faceoff. Sometimes you just need to put the ball on the ground and muck it up.

How do they replicate the 1st quarter offense in every quarter? Strong ball movement and quick 1st steps off a dodge. Kamish and Binney looked the best they have all season. They had their legs and if this holds up it will be fun to watch.

Gotta clean up the mistakes that were made on transition defense. Game would have been a 4/5 goal win if not for Navy’s transition goals. Settled defense was strong, Toomey and Dwan are running schemes that are putting the boys in great situations to be successful.

We are really lucky to have the goalie room we do. Stout misses a couple weeks, Watkinson comes in and helps lead the Hounds to back to back wins. Stout comes back this week and plays amazing. Competition is good and it raises the level of play from others.

Missed last nights game, thank you CBS Sports! I will not miss Friday nights game at Ridley. It’s going to be electric.

Go Hounds, beat Army!
I agree, Ridley will be rocking Friday Night. 3-4 weeks ago, I would say that Loyola does not have a shot at Army. Today, I am at 60% chance of winning this game.

Clean up the mistakes and play Loyola lacrosse. Weather is going to be perfect.
At the end of the Navy game when Coach Toomey was being interviewed, it was brought to his attention that Spencer was in the audience watching.

Toomey alluded that now that he knows Spencer is back in the state, the staff might ask him to give a pregame speech Friday night against Army. If this does happen, what better way to get the competitive juices flowing than hearing one of the all time greats whos an alumni of the program.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:40 am
laxbro11 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:20 am
Hound93 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:41 am Got the W, that’s what’s important. Hounds will have a chance in any game against any team if they can win around 50% at the dot. They have the talent! Enjoy seeing Halls progression this season and he’s doing a great job changing his moves or needs on every faceoff. Sometimes you just need to put the ball on the ground and muck it up.

How do they replicate the 1st quarter offense in every quarter? Strong ball movement and quick 1st steps off a dodge. Kamish and Binney looked the best they have all season. They had their legs and if this holds up it will be fun to watch.

Gotta clean up the mistakes that were made on transition defense. Game would have been a 4/5 goal win if not for Navy’s transition goals. Settled defense was strong, Toomey and Dwan are running schemes that are putting the boys in great situations to be successful.

We are really lucky to have the goalie room we do. Stout misses a couple weeks, Watkinson comes in and helps lead the Hounds to back to back wins. Stout comes back this week and plays amazing. Competition is good and it raises the level of play from others.

Missed last nights game, thank you CBS Sports! I will not miss Friday nights game at Ridley. It’s going to be electric.

Go Hounds, beat Army!
I agree, Ridley will be rocking Friday Night. 3-4 weeks ago, I would say that Loyola does not have a shot at Army. Today, I am at 60% chance of winning this game.

Clean up the mistakes and play Loyola lacrosse. Weather is going to be perfect.
At the end of the Navy game when Coach Toomey was being interviewed, it was brought to his attention that Spencer was in the audience watching.

Toomey alluded that now that he knows Spencer is back in the state, the staff might ask him to give a pregame speech Friday night against Army. If this does happen, what better way to get the competitive juices flowing than hearing one of the all time greats whos an alumni of the program.
Love it, Having Pat in the locker room would be a great motivator
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

How are we feeling for tonight? Hearing that Army's FO guy is still up in the air regarding his injury. Their backup is no slouch eiher.W What to do about Army's offensive pieces though? They run 6-9 maybe even 12 deep with guys who can all get points. I'm worried about Plunkettt as he is the most dangerous middie i've seen in a long time as he can shoot on the run and also be a playmaker from up top. Hes going to be a 1st team AA this year. Army's offense is littered with not only elite athletes but guys with Serious stick skills. It will be a challenge for sure.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Alright, folks! If Loyola beats Army, what has to happen for them to be #1 and the tournament host?
Houndfan95

Post by Houndfan95 »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:19 pm How are we feeling for tonight? Hearing that Army's FO guy is still up in the air regarding his injury. Their backup is no slouch eiher.W What to do about Army's offensive pieces though? They run 6-9 maybe even 12 deep with guys who can all get points. I'm worried about Plunkettt as he is the most dangerous middie i've seen in a long time as he can shoot on the run and also be a playmaker from up top. Hes going to be a 1st team AA this year. Army's offense is littered with not only elite athletes but guys with Serious stick skills. It will be a challenge for sure.
Not sure what to expect. Sometimes you watch Army and you think they should never lose…then they lose to Colgate and BU by 4-5 goals…Army is extremely talented and they always bring their best game vs Loyola.

If you look at the production, they have a distinct “top 6” in offense and then you have a massive drop off in production…the top 6 guys have a lot of points…

That’s indicative of two things…#1, when you have elite Fogo play, you naturally get way more possessions and way more opportunities to score/produce. #2, they probably don’t run more than 2 midfield lines (like 90% of teams)

Conversely, Loyola struggles at the FO dot so we do not get the luxury of extra possessions - hence putting more pressure on our offense to be very good and we have fewer touches offensively.

There will be a lot of pressure on the Loyola defense and goaltending tonight

The last time these two team battled it was in the PL championship game in 23 and Army won 10-8 winning 18 of 22 draws which carried them to victory…

If we can’t balance the face off situation somewhat, it’s gonna be a tall task tonight…

But these guys have battled back from an 0-2 start in the PL, so you gotta give them credit for battling to get to this position in the last week…the question is can the give us their best game of the year tonight…that’s what it will take

Go Hounds!
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Army 13 , Loyola 7...
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:19 pm How are we feeling for tonight? Hearing that Army's FO guy is still up in the air regarding his injury. Their backup is no slouch eiher.W What to do about Army's offensive pieces though? They run 6-9 maybe even 12 deep with guys who can all get points. I'm worried about Plunkettt as he is the most dangerous middie i've seen in a long time as he can shoot on the run and also be a playmaker from up top. Hes going to be a 1st team AA this year. Army's offense is littered with not only elite athletes but guys with Serious stick skills. It will be a challenge for sure.

I’d run 4 middie lines on Tuesday
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Heck of a game, both teams threw haymakers, army just threw one that really counted

I really feel like the interference call really took the wind out of the teams sails. Army made the plays when they needed to.

Team will either be the 4 or the 6 seed after tonight.

I do not understand the point of using Seth higgins when he can run with one good knee/leg. He had 2 TO’s tonight unfortunately.

Team now has to make another run starting next tuesday
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

With Lehigh winning, hounds now are 6th seed in the tournament and will have to go on the road to NCMS as navy is 3 seed

Winner of that takes on Lehigh next Friday.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 pm Heck of a game, both teams threw haymakers, army just threw one that really counted

I really feel like the interference call really took the wind out of the teams sails. Army made the plays when they needed to.

I do not understand the point of using Seth higgins when he can run with one good knee/leg. He had 2 TO’s tonight unfortunately.

Two turnovers and two moving screens. No goals in 7 games. Makes no sense. Turner has been great and got 3 shifts. Makes no sense.
Houndfan95

Post by Houndfan95 »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 pm Heck of a game, both teams threw haymakers, army just threw one that really counted

Loyola played hard tonight. Army played hard.

18-10 advantage at the face off dot for Army…that’s a huge advantage in a tight game…all year Loyola has to battle uphill dealing with a very large disadvantage at the dot…it was part of the story again tonight…not all of the story but part of it…actually a big part of it

The whistle certainly favored Army tonight big time. The interference call involving Staudt amounted to an immediate goal…many other questionable calls. It was not a good night for the crew…not really debatable.

With that said, Loyola had chances deep into Q4 in a game that felt like it was tied 10-10 for a long time.

After the 1st quarter, I thought both goalies played very well

Lots more to unpack on this one but I’ll just say the young men played hard and now it’s time to move forward and take on a very tough Navy team on Tuesday

Congrats to Army…just a really really good team that is good in all phases
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

An absolute thriller of a game to watch live. You like offense, the first half was all for you. You like defense, the second half was all you. The stripes made their presence known which was extremely disappointing in a game of this level and magnitude. They couldn’t get out of their own way and let the players play.

With that said, the Hounds had their chances. Offense lost their sticks in the 3rd/early 4th. Turnovers, bad shots and a hot goalie were the reason they didn’t get the W. Would’ve liked to see the faceoff at 50% overall but didn’t happen. Gotta win some late game faceoffs if you want to win.

Proud of the Hounds effort as they didn’t back down. On to Naptown Tuesday for the 3rd game in a row against a service academy. There’s no team in D1 that would want to play these guys back to back to back. I’m still a believer!

Go Hounds!
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Hound93 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:01 pm An absolute thriller of a game to watch live. You like offense, the first half was all for you. You like defense, the second half was all you. The stripes made their presence known which was extremely disappointing in a game of this level and magnitude. They couldn’t get out of their own way and let the players play.

With that said, the Hounds had their chances. Offense lost their sticks in the 3rd/early 4th. Turnovers, bad shots and a hot goalie were the reason they didn’t get the W. Would’ve liked to see the faceoff at 50% overall but didn’t happen. Gotta win some late game faceoffs if you want to win.

Proud of the Hounds effort as they didn’t back down. On to Naptown Tuesday for the 3rd game in a row against a service academy. There’s no team in D1 that would want to play these guys back to back to back. I’m still a believer!

Go Hounds!
I still can’t get over the fact that Higgins, who is clearly limited by the brace on his knee, and who has two goals all year and who hasn’t scored in his past 7 games and who has 12 turnovers this year and who had 2 turnovers and two moving picks called against him last night but played almost every other shift in the second half last night. Why? He played more shifts in the second half that Kamish and Heuston. This just doesn’t make any sense to me.
Hounds need to play guys that produce. Such a double standard this year. Guys like Dixon, McGory, Turner, Murphy, McCullough and Others play one or two shifts and if they make a mistake they never see the field again. Guys like Higgins and Binney consistently make mistakes and there are no consequences.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Formerhound wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm
Hound93 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:01 pm An absolute thriller of a game to watch live. You like offense, the first half was all for you. You like defense, the second half was all you. The stripes made their presence known which was extremely disappointing in a game of this level and magnitude. They couldn’t get out of their own way and let the players play.

Go Hounds!
I still can’t get over the fact that Higgins, who is clearly limited by the brace on his knee, and who has two goals all year and who hasn’t scored in his past 7 games and who has 12 turnovers this year and who had 2 turnovers and two moving picks called against him last night but played almost every other shift in the second half last night. Why? He played more shifts in the second half that Kamish and Heuston. This just doesn’t make any sense to me.
Hounds need to play guys that produce. Such a double standard this year. Guys like Dixon, McGory, Turner, Murphy, McCullough and Others play one or two shifts and if they make a mistake they never see the field again. Guys like Higgins and Binney consistently make mistakes and there are no consequences.
I’ve been patient with Higgins and hoped he’d find some way to work inside the offense with his limitations. Unfortunately, this hasn’t happened and agree with you 100%. Time to bring the next man up. Hounds need to win out and there’s nothing backing up keeping him on the field. He’s been a solid player, and great teammate and leader for the boys. Time that he support them in a different manner.
Last edited by Hound93 on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Hound93 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 pm
Formerhound wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm

Go Hounds!
I was patient with Higgins and hoped he’d find some way to work inside the offense with his limitations. However, this hasn’t happened and agree with you 100%. Time to bring the next man up. Hounds need to win out and there’s nothing backing up keeping him on the field. He’s been a solid player, and great teammate and leader for the boys. Time that he support them in a different manner.
I agree, there are younger players that can do what higgins does and more. MVA has his favorites and he stays with them, Bateman comes to mind. This hurts the team offensively.

Loved the game last night, Ridley is always a great place to watch a game
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Don't want to jinx things. But Loyola sure has had Navy's number since Amplo arrived. They are 5-2 against him. And it would have been 6-1 had Navy's goalie not had an incredible night at Ridley a year ago.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Congrats to Loyola Greyhound alum, Gavin Prout!

https://www.brooklinlc.com/news/brookli ... P2WFIt9GPV
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:51 am Congrats to Loyola Greyhound alum, Gavin Prout!

https://www.brooklinlc.com/news/brookli ... P2WFIt9GPV
+1, Loyola alumn giving back to the lacrosse community
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Tournament starts tomorrow. The playoffs are for real, and while the team has essentially been fighting for the playoffs since the 2-6 start, i'm optimistic.

New season begins at NCMS at 6 pm. Last year the rope unit provided a spark with transition goals. lets see if they can do it again. Carson should have a decent day (and i'm really impressed with his growth). He'll be good over the next 3 years with more reps and teaching under Coach Vaikness.

Ideally, if they win tomorrow they face Lehigh on Friday. I have no idea who is going to win the BU-Colgate game but they serve the best chance of beating Army in the other Friday semi-final game.

Hounds just need to take care of business tomorrow. Its one game at a time. Play till the end, play with their heart out and let the chips fall. This team CAN make a run and they nearly pulled it off last year.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxdadj

Post by laxdadj »

I like Loyola's chances against Navy. If they win on Tuesday they would play Army on Friday at 4 pm.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”