Georgetown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Jldlax

Re: Georgetown 2024

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:49 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 pm imo, georgetown needs one more ooc squad they know is gonna finish top 20. for now loyola's inside that, and penn, nd, jhu you can count on. as well as they've fared at times, richmond, high point, can't be considered what you might need if they all don't hit numbers in a given year. you already have villanova for that. and any of those teams can beat you, they can be good. another ivy vs dartmouth or brown (for now). or an acc/b1g.

there are teams not sweating the bubble with 4 losses, soon to be 5. the hoyas are losing the schedule, and having to be too perfect.
I don’t necessarily disagree that another top 10 opponent would possibly have Hoyas off bubble if they don’t win the AQ. But…depending on poll, the Hoyas have played the #1 2 and 3rd ranked teams in the country. Granted went 1-2 but gave the #1 their only loss and the Loyola loss to start season is a bit of an outlier. Hoyas entered that game with a freshman goalie, 3 new starters on D, including a freshman and a transfer. They also had to figure out scoring with the loss of the top 4 points getters and without Reilly at face off who is arguably the best fogo in program history. Playing ND, Hopkins, Penn, Richmond and Loyola out of conference along with scheduling a Brown team most thought would be better is pretty formidable. The metrics are what they are and Hoyas need to win tonight and at least make BE Final to have a look at the post season so your argument has merit but can’t say Georgetown didn’t play a tough slate. Need Loyola to do well in PL, Richmond to win conference and hope Princeton and or Michigan don’t win theirs. Or just win BET and make it a moot point.
As I believe Parcells once said you are what your record is. How we got here is moot at this point. GU needs to beat Villanova tonight, and most likely in the BET in 6 days to have a god shot at an AQ bid. Running the table with a W vs. Denver in BET final would clinch an AQ and probably a home game in round 1. A loss vs. Denver puts GU's fate in the hands of the Committee and hoping for no upsets in B10 and Ivys. This team can defintiely do this, but it will not be a cakewalk.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Defense was tremendous. Providence up next.
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

Strong showing last night only letting up one goal in the entire second half. Most importantly, Georgetown made hustle plays throughout the game that are characteristic of championship winning teams. Two plays that stood out were Moore and Shubert diving for end lines late in the game when the victory had already been sealed - these guys are playing hungry. Now, if we’re being honest, Villanova looked horrendous last night with a million turnovers, but the Hoyas played hard and beating Villanova never gets old.

Interesting wrinkle playing Shubert on attack to let Bundy run out of the box again. If the freshman can start putting up points while freeing up Bundy to play his natural position, then this offense can be really dangerous. That said, the lack of unassisted goals is a little concerning at this point in the year. So far the balance has been a point of strength, but eventually you need someone to demand the rock, blow by his guy and score in crunch time.

Looking forward, I’m very excited for the BET this weekend. Thankfully in control of their own destiny with a chance to earn a home game in the first round.
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
Hoyafan123

Post by Hoyafan123 »

Obviously very different situation but hearing the Daly news made me think how lucky the Hoyas are that the program stuck with Coach Warne through the dark years. Big Tilt Thursday with a rising Providence Squad. Can't take any game lightly if we want to avoid the bubble!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hoyafan123 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:07 am Obviously very different situation but hearing the Daly news made me think how lucky the Hoyas are that the program stuck with Coach Warne through the dark years. Big Tilt Thursday with a rising Providence Squad. Can't take any game lightly if we want to avoid the bubble!
They kind of had to since Warne create the dark years tearing it down as planned. May have been necessary there may have been a more modest path forward form Urick. Hoya boy was right though that they got complacent with quarters and stopped supporting the program second half of 2000s.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

That was one of the more stressful games in recent memory. Georgetown did everything in their power to lose that game and still came out with the victory. Suppose you could say great teams win on their worst days - this would be that.

That said, love seeing AC step up and be the guy when it mattered the most. He put the team on his back tonight, and his story is awesome. Admittedly, I was skeptical of throwing Shubert into the mix this late in the season, but WOW what a performance by the freshman in prime time.

Cannot take Nova lightly. 1-0!!!
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

DMV_Guy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:08 pm That was one of the more stressful games in recent memory. Georgetown did everything in their power to lose that game and still came out with the victory. Suppose you could say great teams win on their worst days - this would be that.

That said, love seeing AC step up and be the guy when it mattered the most. He put the team on his back tonight, and his story is awesome. Admittedly, I was skeptical of throwing Shubert into the mix this late in the season, but WOW what a performance by the freshman in prime time.

Cannot take Nova lightly. 1-0!!!
A bizarre game with multiple runs. Warne looked like he had in the bag the whole time! The staff must know what they are doing with playing Schubert at this point. Agree that they cannot sleep on Nova - hopefully GU got a shaky game out of their system. Definitely need to get the AQ to qualify for tourney especially with Michigan going to B10 final.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

What a crazy season. Kudos to Providence for playing a great game. Shut down Haley and the second midfield. Fortunately for us, Carroll stepped up big time. And they were able to get unassisted goals when the assisted part of their game was stifled. This was the first game since Hopkins that they gave up more than 10 goals. I wonder if there was a bit of a learning curve about playoff lacrosse for the young guys on D. But not for Schubert who emerged as another genuine threat.

While Georgetown loses the chance to play another top 10 team in Denver, Villanova is now top 20. And Penn is now a top 10 win with their victory over Cornell. Unfortunately, Loyola is back to being a “bad loss” and Richmond is out of the top 20. I wonder if they can make it back in with a win over St Joes.

If the Hoyas can get by Villanova, they will have 1 top 5 win, 1 top 10 win and two top 20 wins. Is it enough to get them a seed?
HGK

Post by HGK »

If we win and Penn wins i’d think we are 8 and host Maryland. If we win and Princeton wins I could see the Hoyas traveling up to College Park. Let’s just take care of a tough team today and let the chips fall where they may!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Sometimes all that matters is the W. NCAAs here we come.

Don’t even mind if we don’t get a seed. Team seems to play better on the road as an underdog. Let’s try to figure out how to score in the second half.

What a shot by Crogan to win it! Go Hoyas!
HGK

Post by HGK »

rolldodge wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:31 pm Sometimes all that matters is the W. NCAAs here we come.

Don’t even mind if we don’t get a seed. Team seems to play better on the road as an underdog. Let’s try to figure out how to score in the second half.

Hoyas probably 8-10 seed so home game is possible. Given how most projections look and the “proximity “ factor it seems to me -

8 seed and host MD

9 seed and at MD

10 seed and at UVA or PSU.

Could possibly see where we play IVY winner but less likely.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:11 am
rolldodge wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:31 pm Sometimes all that matters is the W. NCAAs here we come.

Hoyas probably 8-10 seed so home game is possible. Given how most projections look and the “proximity “ factor it seems to me -

8 seed and host MD

9 seed and at MD

10 seed and at UVA or PSU.

Could possibly see where we play IVY winner but less likely.
8/9 game faces Notre Dame in the quarters which would be nice to avoid.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I was thinking that as well. We could possibly get the 7 or 11 but my gut is we are 8 or 9 and will just have to deal with playing ND if we can get that far. Let’s see what happens at 930!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:31 pm I was thinking that as well. We could possibly get the 7 or 11 but my gut is we are 8 or 9 and will just have to deal with playing ND if we can get that far. Let’s see what happens at 930!
I have a feeling we will be 8 or 9 as well. Although, if we are not seeded then they are free to move them around. So even if we come up as 9 in the ranking criteria we could play the 6 or 7 seed.
HGK

Post by HGK »

A lot depends on proximity of schools. NCAA has to be cognizant of that reality without having egregiously unfair matchups. That makes a Georgetown Maryland or Georgetown Princeton matchup likely it seems.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Home game for the Hoyas! Should be a good one with Penn State.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Hoyas open as a 1.5 point underdog at home. Should be a good game.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

What's the take on next Sunday?

Were the two overtime wins in BET a sign of the Hoyas hitting a wall? Or is that just playoff lacrosse? Defense back closer to form in the second half against Nova with Moore emerging from his mini-slump with a couple of clutch saves.

Have teams figured out how to play Haley and the assist-happy second midfield? Goldberg has been noticeably quiet in the past few games. Carrol came up big against Providence but pressed a bit (by his own admission) versus Villanova.

Keys to this game IMHO:
  • Defense needs to get back on track. I think Moore and Banks now have some playoff experience and will settle in nicely. The home game helps also
  • Can the offense put it all together? Combine the methodical 6 on 6 assisted goals + a few individual effort goals + a few in transition from the rope unit
  • Can they get Haley / Bundy / Vardaro more involved?
  • Can Ball stay consistent through 4 quarters?
  • Team needs to play with intensity and poise from the get go.
  • Adjustments needed at half time on the offensive side to avoid the recent second-half malaise.
The good news is that this team finds a way to win and doesn't choke under pressure. The tough games in the BET have them on notice that nothing is going to come easy. Penn State is going to come out fired up after that performance against Michigan. This is going to be a good one. Go Hoyas!
HGK

Post by HGK »

It is largely meaningless to Hoyas chances, but interesting that Georgetown was the only seeded AQ.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:24 pm It is largely meaningless to Hoyas chances, but interesting that Georgetown was the only seeded AQ.
My guess is it was the win over Notre Dame and the chance for a rematch in the quarterfinals.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”