Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So now Coons sucks too. I'm told Feifs sucks for similar reasons.

The guy I'd love to bring back to Geneva that no one will even think of and probably shouldlve been HC when BJ left is Ed Stephenson. Guy fought hard for his kids at Bing and had some success there. Didn't get too much out of UMass Lowell but he can do everything we've seen with Raymond in a decade and probably more and we know hes is deeply committed to his kids.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 pm Latest podcast.

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-83/175
Wow, that start of the podcast is interesting.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

LeeRoggy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:45 pm

I think I am going to stop listening to the podcast. They are all the exact same talk. I keep hoping to hear something we are learning from this season and it feels like there is just “ same thing, try harder”.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LeeRoggy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:45 pm

I liked the part where he slammed “loyalty” and “naysayers” into the same sentence. Excellent. Get in line muthaf***a! Have to e-sign certifying only positive comments will ever be espoused and smiles on faces no matter what on you don’t get access to the radio and video for games in 25.
See Martin, Malcolm
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

It sounded like Raymond will be returning as well as a few players mentioned. He talks about this being D 1 lacrosse and the toughness needed....hhmmm. Criticism is part of stepping into this level of college athletics, for every participant... players, coaches, even us fans.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:47 pm It sounded like Raymond will be returning as well as a few players mentioned. He talks about this being D 1 lacrosse and the toughness needed....hhmmm. Criticism is part of stepping into this level of college athletics, for every participant... players, coaches, even us fans.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. Ted made a comment that I hadn’t processed. There are 15+ seniors and there are always 5 or so kids who dont return for various reasons. So if we have 3-5 portal losses in addition, we could have 25-30 kids returning, many of which have not played much at all. So our roster could be under 40 kids? So Raymond will have to go to the portal for transfers. Talk about a rebuild
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Definitely a rebuild and whether we like it or not, the SoS given the success of team’s like Colgate and Richmond this year will give him the benefit of the doubt, barring a meltdown at St B’s.

Curious to see / hear how that shakes out. Raymond went out of his way to remind us this is the first time in 10 years the last game of the season is meaningless / just for pride.

Let’s see if we have any. I hated hearing about how upset the seniors were. I’ve been on teams like this in football and it really sucks to keep losing. Especially in your final year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FL-GO wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:34 am Definitely a rebuild and whether we like it or not, the SoS given the success of team’s like Colgate and Richmond this year will give him the benefit of the doubt, barring a meltdown at St B’s.

Curious to see / hear how that shakes out. Raymond went out of his way to remind us this is the first time in 10 years the last game of the season is meaningless / just for pride.

Let’s see if we have any. I hated hearing about how upset the seniors were. I’ve been on teams like this in football and it really sucks to keep losing. Especially in your final year.
Yeah feel like he’s setting up a straw man of pellet being specifically negative towards the kids. Yeah a few folks didn’t like Simas shooting over the years but still appreciated him. Hes taking views made about him or the staff and saying their being made about the kids which feels dishonest unless he really isn’t critically reading. Threading the needle the way he is attempting is not surprising a lot of folks would try that path even though it’s a lower payoff over time than just picking a direction. Sounding like taking responsibility while bifurcating it from blame and foist that onto the kids but without looking like he blaming them. Other stakeholders are important Mennonite then they are dilutive because they ever say anything that isn’t positive and don’t know turd (we know we are 3-9 after being 5-8 and irrelevant in a real conference - so we know something)

It’s pretty incongruous with that Neanderthal old school style morality he’s insisting on deploying in a postmodern world. Man up and take it all in the chest or tell everyone to heck odd I’m doing a fine job and don’t want to hear
It from you. He wouldn’t be happy with a kid clawing trying to split a double team but that’s what he’s attempting here.

Is it really a big rebuild? Who’s leaving who payed in 75% of the games over the last two seasons? Aa long as Schofield is back we will be fine at FO like him and Valent is excellent. Turner and Duby hurt the most at LSM where we feel thin but forth anchoring what should be a strong close D and health of Dino
Means we’re back to feeling good at SSdM.

This sucks because I know he’s played hurt but if you watched last season and this season the way he actually performed it’s not hard to see a 3-5 win team with the Datellas (not 100%) that was actually out there. He kind of became a ball stopped somewhere second half of last year but isn’t as good at iso play like Frank Brown who was wildly physical for what his frame looked like. One of those dudes you shut don’t want to play pickup basketball with because his bones make contact and feel like he’s got wolverines materials in there banging on your soul. I almost wonder if we should’ve tried to diminish his role more when he wasn’t 100% rather than just say “damn that kids tough look at him guttting it out while we watched his shooting % tank and GB/TO ratio get worse and worse. That’s the problem it wasn’t a team offense I had hoped and he isn’t nearly good enough to be a #1 on a playoff team. Love that he’s busting a nut out there and appreciate it but guess that where we circle back to the personnel management.
See Martin, Malcolm
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Bartfromboston wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 am
oldbartman wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:47 pm It sounded like Raymond will be returning as well as a few players mentioned. He talks about this being D 1 lacrosse and the toughness needed....hhmmm. Criticism is part of stepping into this level of college athletics, for every participant... players, coaches, even us fans.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. Ted made a comment that I hadn’t processed. There are 15+ seniors and there are always 5 or so kids who dont return for various reasons. So if we have 3-5 portal losses in addition, we could have 25-30 kids returning, many of which have not played much at all. So our roster could be under 40 kids? So Raymond will have to go to the portal for transfers. Talk about a rebuild
There are 13 "regular seniors" who have used up their 4 years of eligibility and 5 graduate students who are also finished. Only 2 of the seniors, Ward and Delaney, are eligible for an additional red shirt year. I don't think there are other seniors who are eligible. Please correct me if you know otherwise. It would be great to have their experience back. I'm not sure if Coach Raymond misspoke when he used the 18 figure, or if he knows about a few players that aren't coming back for whatever reasons. From what I can see, we have 14 recruits in the '24 class. Down sizing the roster from it's current high levels makes sense.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Kewley was injured for a while. He might have an additional year. With Ward and Delaney, I think that's it.
I'd love to see Will Corbett out there one day. We'll get Dino back. I hope Begina can get healthy. Considine will be a huge asset. Galiano will be a help.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Bonnie’s zone defense is effective; Hobart trying to dodge into zone with little success. Delano, Rosa, Patterson, Race, Souleymane, Steven’s—too many little guys expected to play big roles in D1 lacrosse.. Gullace is rather slight, too..need more SSDM size like Wimer.
Are all those guys dressed in black on the sideline injured?🥹
Last edited by FMUBart on Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Where is the defense today?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I only caught the end, but it sounded like a really tight game. We could've really easily lost that one, especially with the one minute unreleasable. I feel like we narrowly escaped with the W. Ted and Dave were struggling to find good things to say. At one point in the wrap up he said "The offense is clearly broken."
Someone start the Hobart 2025 thread!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

And the Bonnie’s had a goal called back..
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

The refs made the right call on disallowing the goal. You can't land in the inner crease on your own momentum no matter what. Honestly, the team looked like they were playing not to lose vs. win the F#cking game. We have a goalie battle come fall ball. Really happy to see Bach and Datellas go out with the W and some really nice points. I will always wonder how much better we could have been if they were both healthy all 4 years. Hope they are slaying Ronnie's for 1 last time. Onto 2025.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 pm I only caught the end, but it sounded like a really tight game. We could've really easily lost that one, especially with the one minute unreleasable. I feel like we narrowly escaped with the W. Ted and Dave were struggling to find good things to say. At one point in the wrap up he said "The offense is clearly broken."
3,4&5 scorers PPG last few seasons:

2024: 2.33, 1.67 & 1.58

2023: 2.08, 2.09 & 1.62

2022: 2.92, 2.73 & 2.23

2021: 2.88, 1.78 & 1.22

2019: 2.69, 2.56 & 2.38

Not surprising but you probably need to average 6pts a game out of 3-5 to be at or above .500
See Martin, Malcolm
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:34 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 pm I only caught the end, but it sounded like a really tight game. We could've really easily lost that one, especially with the one minute unreleasable. I feel like we narrowly escaped with the W. Ted and Dave were struggling to find good things to say. At one point in the wrap up he said "The offense is clearly broken."
3,4&5 scorers PPG last few seasons:

2024: 2.33, 1.67 & 1.58

2023: 2.08, 2.09 & 1.62

2022: 2.92, 2.73 & 2.23

2021: 2.88, 1.78 & 1.22

2019: 2.69, 2.56 & 2.38

Not surprising but you probably need to average 6pts a game out of 3-5 to be at or above .500
That is a really great statistic on the proper running on an offense
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Bonnies played their best game probably of the year, Given them credit but also they thought they could win which we cant allow lower level teams to think about us. Our offense is broke and has been broke all year and a carry over from last year. We dont have playmakers - other than Delano and a little of Rosa and Patterson from X, we are slow on offense and cant beat people. Not that I believe that is the sole thing a team should do but you dont need to double and don’t need to worry about sliding. Datallas is a fighter, tough kid, but he was banged up and really not as productive as we hoped. Losing John Jude was crushing because the drop off from him to the next man up was huge. I think it is a travesty that Envin stood on the sidelines all year and never got even a sliver of a chance to run mid-field. I saw him in the fall and he looked 2x as fast/shifty as any of these upperclassman we played so much. We have to get away from coaching like a high school team where the older kids have earned their time and the younger kids just have to wait patiently while we lose games. Sitting on my hands right now to see who hits the portal. We need to find a replacement for Bach so I hope we hit the portal for once.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I was glad to hear the D stepped up in the 3rd and 4th. Though the record doesn't show it, they've made steady improvement all year ... marked by highs and lows for sure, but overall improving. I credit Firth a lot. He's a leader and plays with a solid controlled aggression. Two caused turnovers yesterday and now 12th overall with a year to go. I wish he were 6 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier, but I'm told he's tough as nails.
We also have a great leader in Patterson, who was just fantastic as a freshman. Way to step up. Again, taller and heavier would be great, but I've never thought that matters so much on attack.
BfB, I agree on Evnin. Figured he was injured or something, otherwise it doesn't make sense.
At midfield, I want to see Peterkin step into the Bach role. Here size matters. If Delaney returns as a grad, it could help. Maybe have Weimer run some O also? Peterkin sometimes looks ... I guess the word is " restrained" . I'd like to see him cut loose more. I think we lost a swagger/X factor with Simas. Hurlihy could've brought it but for the injuries.
Hats off to Shea, one of the very best we've had. 👏 Also tough as nails. We should be okay at FO next year, esp. if Schofield returns healthy.
I'm not sure I care to hear the podcast. This season is what it is. Words won't change it. Glad the seniors went out on a W.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”