Big East 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Big East 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

There’s also the other more than half of a starting ten. And I loved me some Matt Licata but GTown still had a more talented starting ten.

Not to mention this was brought up as about the o coordinator so not sure why the most talented ten matters in fact.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Comeonman wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:53 am The USILA is the official sanctioning body for AAs. On that list for 2023 I only see Campbell and Comizio. Both first team. No one else from Nova on second, third or honorable mention.
Campbell should have been 1st team All American last year, for that matter Connor Kirst should have been a few years back,

Campbell and Comizio, the 1st First Team All Americans from Villanova as far as I’ve been able to research.

——————

Jake Melchionni was a top top pick up for Villanova for this incoming class,
a serious Villanova legacy,

https://virginiasports.com/player/chase-melchionni/

_________
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

Villanova is a very good lacrosse program. On any given day they can compete/beat any team in the country. The idea that the number of All-Americans on a team is directly correlated with winning is misguided. Awards don’t equal wins.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Creasedive wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:46 am Villanova is a very good lacrosse program. On any given day they can compete/beat any team in the country. The idea that the number of All-Americans on a team is directly correlated with winning is misguided. Awards don’t equal wins.
I think everyone agrees with that but pushing back on the "Villanova has the most talent in the Big East" Simon Conor guy.
See Martin, Malcolm
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

Georgetown
(Small to medium sized gap)
Villanova
(Medium gap)
Everyone else
(Grand Canyon sized gap)
St. John’s
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:36 pm Georgetown
(Small to medium sized gap)
Villanova
(Medium gap)
Everyone else
(Grand Canyon sized gap)
St. John’s
Villanova over Denver? No.
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

People have said that for years , Nova starting 10 every spring , can play with any program in the country, but they still only have 10 scholarships & one of the smallest rosters in Div 1, which holds back the program & USA lacrosse has Cambell, Comizio , Fraser, & Colwell, so I was not making up the stat that Corrado had 4 AA’s this past spring, but still only finished 3rd
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Are they up to 10 lacrosse scholarships now,

last I had heard, admittedly going back a couple years, Villanova was at an unconfirmed number of 8.5 scholarships.

10 would make more sense as they were able to get a couple solid transfers in 2022.
MartletDadlet

Post by MartletDadlet »

Looking forward, this is going to be an exciting year in the BE.

I did a little quick math, because it was apparent to me how reliant Gtown and Nova were on Grad Students in 23, and it shows that while you cannot discount the strength of the programs and the way they are always building from within, that 24 will be a wholly different year than 23 for those two programs.

Gtown--built the last couple of years on the transfer portal, but 24 has been significantly lighter than usual. They picked up a FOGO and are bringing back their SSDM, but I haven't heard anything about Bundy. Is he planning on a 5th year? Their reliance on the portal has left them with talented but unproven group of underclassmen. They lost their starting G, FOGO, their AA close D, and a significant amount of goals. How much? Well I did some back of the envelope work and among the players who scored double digit points last year, (assuming Bundy returns) 6 are leaving and 4 are returning. Without Bundy's return it becomes 7/3. And those leaving represent almost 73% of the points scored. Again, if Bundy doesn't return the number jumps to 85% of their '23 points graduated. Good school Good coach and great players. But it's gonna be a completely different team.

Nova- They didn't lose as many grad students as Gtown, but still significant. Of the double digit point players from last year, they lost 3 and return 5. But those 3 were pretty influential. They represented more than 57% of the points scored. Nova also losing their AA ssdm and starting goalie. With more than half their goals and the core of their D leaving, it's going to be up to a new group to establish themselves.

Lots of people have Marquette, with their wins and close losses last year and the fact they didn't lose many players to graduation, as super competitive next year, but don't overlook St Johns. Is this the year they really break out?

Providence had flashes of brilliance and Denver is bringing back almost their whole team from 23.

Gonna be a fun year for the Beast. I think assumptions of the general status quo could be totally wrong. Can you imagine a year where Gtown loses to Denver, Nova, and Marquette--and needs a last game win to sneak into the tourney? Could Nova drop games to SJU and Providence? This might be the year. Could MU sit atop the BE at the end of the season? That was a couple of bounces away in 23 and I think they have a much better chance this year. What impact will the "new" coach bring in Denver?

Gonna be a fun ride. I think it's wide open this year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Marquette full roster 2024 including freshmen,

https://gomarquette.com/sports/mens-lac ... sort=class
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Just curious if there is a website that breaks down each Div 1 mens lacrosse programs as far as scholarships, so we can all see how it is not a level playing field out there & who is fully funded & who is not
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LaxAllStars wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:32 am Marquette Coach Andy Stimmel

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... el-e2aou70
Have this feeling we will see one of two outcomes w Marquette this spring. Either a step up and win or closely compete for BE title or look more like SJU. The close wins and losses indicate it won’t be a similar solid and promising year bumping around .500 on the season but either a step up or downs

Of course this isn’t exactly brilliant to expect a 50/50 season to break away from the mean in subsequent periods…
See Martin, Malcolm
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Once again, I hope this isn't another "Georgetown & The Rest" type of year in the Big East.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

So, are the seeds for the upcoming tournament as follows?

1-Denver
2-Georgetown
3-Providence
4-Villanova?
HGK

Post by HGK »

If Nova beats Georgetown and SJU beats Providence does that change the seedings? I don’t know but seems that could be the only scenario to change things.
darkhaha

Post by darkhaha »

HGK wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:04 pm If Nova beats Georgetown and SJU beats Providence does that change the seedings? I don’t know but seems that could be the only scenario to change things.
If Nova beats Georgetown and SJU beats Providence, seeding would be:

1. Denver
2. Nova
3. Georgetown
4. Providence

If Nova beats Georgetown and Providence beats SJU, then Georgetown, Nova and Providence would all be 3-2, with Georgetown having a win over Providence, Providence with a win over Nova, and Nova with a win over Georgetown. Not sure what the tiebreaker would be in this scenario…
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

So St. John's is out regardless of how they do against Providence?
HGK

Post by HGK »

Amazing game.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

A bit of luck with that win, understandable but the Villanova kid after the turnover should have just chucked it,

a crease violation ends it, 10-9 Villanova.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”