Georgetown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HGK

Re: Georgetown 2024

Post by HGK »

Weird game. Another tight one with Marquette is nothing new. To win 11-8 and lose virtually every face off says a lot about this team. Defense played a lot of minutes and still holding a team to 8 goals is impressive. Moore good bounce back game. Offense was balanced and patient vs a largely zone defense. Hopefully Ball will be okay for Denver and beyond.
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

HGK wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:41 pm Weird game. Another tight one with Marquette is nothing new. To win 11-8 and lose virtually every face off says a lot about this team. Defense played a lot of minutes and still holding a team to 8 goals is impressive. Moore good bounce back game. Offense was balanced and patient vs a largely zone defense. Hopefully Ball will be okay for Denver and beyond.
Sort of nightmare fuel today — had flashbacks of UVA quarterfinals at Hofstra. Need more faceoff depth if this team is going to go deep in May. Nice to be able to win without it, but too many G’town teams of the last decade have been held back by performance at the X.
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

DMV_Guy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:53 pm
HGK wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:41 pm Weird game. Another tight one with Marquette is nothing new. To win 11-8 and lose virtually every face off says a lot about this team. Defense played a lot of minutes and still holding a team to 8 goals is impressive. Moore good bounce back game. Offense was balanced and patient vs a largely zone defense. Hopefully Ball will be okay for Denver and beyond.
Sort of nightmare fuel today — had flashbacks of UVA quarterfinals at Hofstra. Need more faceoff depth if this team is going to go deep in May. Nice to be able to win without it, but too many G’town teams of the last decade have been held back by performance at the X.
Kade Goldberg has become a key contributor to this team. He is probably the second best passer after Haley and has great speed. Today he came out of the box a few times to clear the ball, and seems more comfortable every week. Stairs and Foley are also underrated contributors.

It was not clear what happened with Ball today. He did not appear to be injured the few times that he was on the field, hopefully it is nothing serious. Denver on the road will be a real challenge - hopefully everyone is healthy.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:36 pm
DMV_Guy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:53 pm
Kade Goldberg has become a key contributor to this team. He is probably the second best passer after Haley and has great speed. Today he came out of the box a few times to clear the ball, and seems more comfortable every week. Stairs and Foley are also underrated contributors.

It was not clear what happened with Ball today. He did not appear to be injured the few times that he was on the field, hopefully it is nothing serious. Denver on the road will be a real challenge - hopefully everyone is healthy.
Weird game is right. That was exactly the vibe.

Agree, Goldberg making some nice contributions and they used him well against the zone.

Moore played a very good game. Defense was mostly solid except for a stretch in the third quarter.

Did not like the strategy of going to a long stick and conceding the face-off. The backups were struggling but still had a better chance of tying up and even figuring it out. They are going to need to develop depth there.
HGK

Post by HGK »

The Hoyas win at ND is looking pretty darn good right now. Obviously Hoyas have a not great loss as well but arguably the Gtown win vs ND is one of, in not the best win vs expectations in the NCAA this year.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HGK wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:28 pm The Hoyas win at ND is looking pretty darn good right now. Obviously Hoyas have a not great loss as well but arguably the Gtown win vs ND is one of, in not the best win vs expectations in the NCAA this year.
All of which makes the Hopkins victory over GT look even better! :)

Keep winning until the NCAA tournament, Hoyas!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HGK

Post by HGK »

I knew this was coming Doc, but yes the Hoyas will do their best 😎.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:28 pm The Hoyas win at ND is looking pretty darn good right now. Obviously Hoyas have a not great loss as well but arguably the Gtown win vs ND is one of, in not the best win vs expectations in the NCAA this year.
Hoyas still need to beat Denver this weekend or they are bubble out without the AQ.

There is a huge spread in their possible tournament placement.

Lose to Denver and lose in BE championship: bubble out

Beat Denver and lose in BE championship, or vice versa: Bubble in without a seed.

Beat Denver and win BE championship. In with a seed and potentially a good one.

Of course they still need to also beat St. John’s and Villanova - with the later particularly not going to be easy.

Good news is that they are in charge of their own destiny. Go Hoyas!
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

How are we feeling for this weekend? Seems like the game will come down to faceoffs, and the Greek fella for DU is pretty good. If we can keep it 50/50 then it’s G’town by a goal or two, but that could go either way. Feels like the most balanced matchup in recent years, and Denver will likely play with an edge given how lopsided the outcomes have been. That said, win this weekend and you probably secure an at-large bid and have an argument to break into the top 5 nationally.
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Tough loss for the Hoyas. Offense played well for three quarters with a lot of assisted goals. They really needed a couple guys to step up and assert themselves in the fourth when the Denver defense clamped down. They had several chances to extend the lead to 3 when they were at 8-6.

Good news is that they should get another shot at Denver in the BE tournament.
HGK

Post by HGK »

If Hoyas hold serve rest of way and make the BET final it’s a close call. Win and in. If not will need other conferences to go chalk and cross fingers on Selection Sunday. If were to win out and lose BET final would need to hope ND stays number one, Hopkins wins BIG10 and Loyola does well and or wins PL Tournament. This is a very good team. Hopefully one poor quarter doesn’t derail them for NCAAs.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Agree that this was a tough loss. ND, Hopkins and Denver are top 5 RPI teams and a 1-2 record with 2 2-goal losses is not bad. The Loyola loss hurts but they have trended towards a top 20 PRI now so it is not a horrible loss. I agree that the strategy should be win and in, and think that playing Denver on a neutral site in the BET final is a toss-up. The defense did well Saturday giving up 10 goals and GU needs more out of the offense to win the BET. Once Denver figured out how to stop the inside passing GU did not adjust and could not beat a matchup on a dodge. Hopefully they can figure this out down the stretch.

GU still controls its own destiny and I would not rely on the selection committee as GU would be a bubble team without the AQ. The ND win is still a big help, but still...
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:16 pm Agree that this was a tough loss. ND, Hopkins and Denver are top 5 RPI teams and a 1-2 record with 2 2-goal losses is not bad. The Loyola loss hurts but they have trended towards a top 20 PRI now so it is not a horrible loss. I agree that the strategy should be win and in, and think that playing Denver on a neutral site in the BET final is a toss-up. The defense did well Saturday giving up 10 goals and GU needs more out of the offense to win the BET. Once Denver figured out how to stop the inside passing GU did not adjust and could not beat a matchup on a dodge. Hopefully they can figure this out down the stretch.

GU still controls its own destiny and I would not rely on the selection committee as GU would be a bubble team without the AQ. The ND win is still a big help, but still...
There was a hesitance on display in this game that reminded me of the early season. I think this game was there for GU's taking and they didn't realize it or manifest it. If we get a chance for a rematch in the BE tournament (and I think we should) I like our chances for redemption.
FishFood

Post by FishFood »

In my opinion they got themselves out of offensive sync when they tried to wind down the shot clock with each 2nd half possession. Now, I understand this strategy essentially worked for them in their win over ND, but I feel it walks a razor's edge. You're essentially banking on the ability to pull out a sub-15 second shot clock goal every couple of possessions to hang on for the win. In the case of this past game, that ability for the late shot clock goal never manifested itself. The bigger problem is that it everyone including the defense knows this and is basically well rested going into that last 20 seconds of the possession.

I also thought that the squad looked a little gassed in the 2nd half due to that mile high air....
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

FishFood wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am In my opinion they got themselves out of offensive sync when they tried to wind down the shot clock with each 2nd half possession. Now, I understand this strategy essentially worked for them in their win over ND, but I feel it walks a razor's edge. You're essentially banking on the ability to pull out a sub-15 second shot clock goal every couple of possessions to hang on for the win. In the case of this past game, that ability for the late shot clock goal never manifested itself. The bigger problem is that it everyone including the defense knows this and is basically well rested going into that last 20 seconds of the possession.

I also thought that the squad looked a little gassed in the 2nd half due to that mile high air....
without using any big data, really seems like many more games are lost than won with this strategy, especially now as there's only so much time you can burn. then puts extra pressure on your defense to make stops. virginia's semi loss last year still stings for how they handled 4q.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:04 am
FishFood wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am In my opinion they got themselves out of offensive sync when they tried to wind down the shot clock with each 2nd half possession. Now, I understand this strategy essentially worked for them in their win over ND, but I feel it walks a razor's edge. You're essentially banking on the ability to pull out a sub-15 second shot clock goal every couple of possessions to hang on for the win. In the case of this past game, that ability for the late shot clock goal never manifested itself. The bigger problem is that it everyone including the defense knows this and is basically well rested going into that last 20 seconds of the possession.

without using any big data, really seems like many more games are lost than won with this strategy, especially now as there's only so much time you can burn. then puts extra pressure on your defense to make stops. virginia's semi loss last year still stings for how they handled 4q.
I did not get the impression that GU intentionally ran the clock down. Rather, DU adjusted to GU feeding the crease and GU did not counter this move. Then GU seemed tentative and/or a bit tired and could not dodge successfully. GU has a few more games to work this before a hoped for rematch with DU the BET final.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

St. John’s not the most formidable opponent, but the Hoyas played well out of the gate and were able to sit the starters for most of the 3rd and 4th. 17! Players with a point.

Interesting to see freshman Jack Schubert playing most of the game at attack and Bundy back to coming out of the box. I wonder if they will stick with this at Villanova and beyond.

Nice to see the Hoyas push the ball on transition and get some goals from the rope unit.

Interesting that Loyola continues to win and is no longer a “bad loss” for selection criteria.

Big game next week against the always dangerous Cats.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I believe the winner of tomorrow’s game is the 2 seed and loser is 3rd. So a semis rematch is coming. Georgetown , in theory, needs the win more. It keeps at large bid alive while Nova is BE Champ or out. Does that give the Hoyas a motivational advantage ? Maybe but I expect a tight game and faceoffs will be key. Not sure the health of Coppola. With IL projections having Georgetown firmly on the bubble without a BET title, this is a big one tomorrow night.

Go Hoyas.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

imo, georgetown needs one more ooc squad they know is gonna finish top 20. for now loyola's inside that, and penn, nd, jhu you can count on. as well as they've fared at times, richmond, high point, can't be considered what you might need if they all don't hit numbers in a given year. you already have villanova for that. and any of those teams can beat you, they can be good. another ivy vs dartmouth or brown (for now). or an acc/b1g.

there are teams not sweating the bubble with 4 losses, soon to be 5. the hoyas are losing the schedule, and having to be too perfect.
HGK

Post by HGK »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 pm imo, georgetown needs one more ooc squad they know is gonna finish top 20. for now loyola's inside that, and penn, nd, jhu you can count on. as well as they've fared at times, richmond, high point, can't be considered what you might need if they all don't hit numbers in a given year. you already have villanova for that. and any of those teams can beat you, they can be good. another ivy vs dartmouth or brown (for now). or an acc/b1g.

there are teams not sweating the bubble with 4 losses, soon to be 5. the hoyas are losing the schedule, and having to be too perfect.
I don’t necessarily disagree that another top 10 opponent would possibly have Hoyas off bubble if they don’t win the AQ. But…depending on poll, the Hoyas have played the #1 2 and 3rd ranked teams in the country. Granted went 1-2 but gave the #1 their only loss and the Loyola loss to start season is a bit of an outlier. Hoyas entered that game with a freshman goalie, 3 new starters on D, including a freshman and a transfer. They also had to figure out scoring with the loss of the top 4 points getters and without Reilly at face off who is arguably the best fogo in program history. Playing ND, Hopkins, Penn, Richmond and Loyola out of conference along with scheduling a Brown team most thought would be better is pretty formidable. The metrics are what they are and Hoyas need to win tonight and at least make BE Final to have a look at the post season so your argument has merit but can’t say Georgetown didn’t play a tough slate. Need Loyola to do well in PL, Richmond to win conference and hope Princeton and or Michigan don’t win theirs. Or just win BET and make it a moot point.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”