Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:28 am Ross Scott over Angelus for 1st team All-B1G might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my entire life, and I've seen a lot of DocB and jhu06 posts.

Scott (13 games): 19 G, 23 A, 42 pts (3.2 per game), 26% shooting
Angelus (13 games): 22 G, 33 A, 55 pts (4.2 per game), 52% shooting

When the two teams met, Scott had 0 goals and 2 assists. Angelus had 3 goals and 5 assists. Hopkins won by 5. Rutgers went 1-4 and finished last in conference. Hopkins went 5-0 and finished first.

The coaches who voted on this should be sent to the Hague. This is a war crime.

They also had three SSDMs on the second team, and none of them were Brett Martin (or Aviles, for that matter). No B1G defenseman had more player of the week awards this year than Szuluk, and he didn't make either team. Beyond bizarre. Feel like some of the other B1G coaches were butthurt and didn't want to vote too many of our guys in.
In 5 B1G games:
Scott 6G/4A
Angelus 9G/14A
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:31 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:11 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:40 pm I was being tongue-in-cheek, but truthfully it is ridiculous.
Maybe there's something going on that I'm missing, but the whole list makes no sense. On the first team you have 3 A, 3 D, 2 G, 1 FOGO and 1 M? And not a single defensive midfielder (LSM or SSDM)? And on the second team you have 3 M, 1 LSM and 2 D? And you have Pehsko (good for him, but, huh?) on it? Even if you add Malone, Zap and Fracyon it makes no sense. Why not two teams that bear a resemblance to how the game is actually played?

I'm not sure who was smoking what . . .
Pehsko is our representative on the sportsmanship team. That's a different thing.

I don't know how the coaches vote on this, maybe they are all asked to identify the X number of best players in the conference irrespective of position and then the teams are compiled. However they do it, it's asinine. How the heck did that OSU SSDM sneak in there over Martin and Aviles? How did Collison not get on there if the OSU SSDM did? (He's the one Collie weight-room'd to win in OT.) How is the defenseman with the most "defenseman of the week" honors this year not on either team? They rendered their own weekly award meaningless. It's all very amateurish from a league that is supposed to be better than that.
either that, or they all put down their top x number of guys @ each position, and when the tally came around, it is only the top 10 points getters that are chosen. seems more likely. the acc started doing this awhile ago, maybe they still do. also only acc games were to be considered.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

hmmm wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:15 pm
Powellfan22 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:15 pm IL has denver and cuse over hopkins in bracketology even though all of Hopkins other metrics and stats are better solely because of head to head. More clown stuff. Notion that the top team in the 2nd best conference would be a 5 seed behind a 3rd place team and a conference champ of the 4th best conference is a joke.
Syracuse is second in the ACC at 3-1. Syracuse (2) has a better SOS than Hopkins (4). Nice try though.
Hopkins RPI is 3. Cuse is 5. Hop rSOR is 3. Cuse is 4. Nice try though. Agreed it's highly doubtful the committee would put 3 ACC teams and Denver ahead of Hop if they win the B1G tourney and go 7-0 in conference.
where is everybody getting their stats from? laxnumbers looks like it is the place for a discernable sos right now. cuse is 1 and hopkins 3.
the committee doesn't use rSOR, whatever that is, but i wouldn't put it past them in any year.

i wouldn't say "all other metrics" favor either team, as outside of sos it'll depend on how the committee stacks criteria (or makes up new ones). average rpi win?
average rpi loss?
bad losses?
top 5 or 10 wins?
top 20 wins?
own rpi?

hoo knows?

my perspective... i've had plenty of criticism for the committee in the past, but the one thing that i've yet to ever see is them caring what conference a team is in. to their credit and how it should be. it's the fans and the media that fan the conference mania. it's not conferences that are being selected, it's individual teams and their resumes. supposedly.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

coda wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:30 pm
steel_hop wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:33 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:58 am Thank you '16 - somebdy is watching the games. Yes - the offense needs to improve to play and win on MDW - but it's questionable that it will. It is so much more involved than just 3 guys potentially dodging on shortsticks. Here are the real issues or inputs IMO
- First and foremost - this is what Hopkins WANTS to do - or maybe better put FEELS like they NEED to do. They take 38 shots per game - in the last 3 games against better defenses and 2 AA goalies they have taken 34/36 and 30 shots. You shoot 30 some odd times per game - have a reasonable shot percentage in the low 30ish range - guess what? You are going to score 10-11-12 goals per game. QK says minimally invasive - PM/JC/JK - again IMO - probably think - shorten the game/don't really want 35+ face-offs/if my defense gets adequate rest during the game I like my chances.
- Second - as '16 pointed out dodging on a shortstick - particularly some of the shortsticks Penn State/Ohio State/Maryland have - is not an automatic recipe for success - they are often the strongest or amongst the strongest players on the team - they're faster and quicker usually than their long stick brethern many times and as long as they are not outweighed by 30-40 lbs they can be very effective against mid-fielders even bigger taller ones. Even Schutz only has 20 goals - I say only - but the point is made. Then of course if a player like a Schutz or Collison get a shortie match-up - it is immediately supported
- Third - As the combined 16 assists between the three of them demonstrates - the three Hopkins big mid-fielders are not exceptional passers. They are very unselfish - Grimes and Peshko have done a wonderful job reducing turnovers. They combined for 41 last year - right now they are at 15. That's a couple extra possessions per game that the defense rests and some time comes off the clock which helps tire the opponents defense. But when they dodge - they dodge to score and everyone knows it.
- Fourth - injuries or whatever - have unquestionably hurt dodging ability. If you were going to identify the two most dangerous dodgers on the team to both score and produce slides creating openings English and Melendez would be at the top of the list. I am not trying to call him out - I want him on the team - but one simply can't ignore the numbers 53 and 21 which are Melendez's respective point totals from '23 to this point in 24. On a per game average for 13 games he was at 40 points through 13 games in '23 so his drop off is pretty much half. He has started every game this year - his shot percentage is off by 14 percentage points (a drop of 36%). This is the 800 lb gorilla with respect to the offense. If you look at almost every team you would craft a national championship argument for - no team outside the BIG 10 and the BIG East (Denver really does it by Committee) has a point line for the starting attack of 55/44/21 - the closest you can come is Notre Dame's 49/47/32 - and they have played 3 fewer games and Taylor's 32 is comprised of 29 goals so it's pretty easy to identify his job. The only other 2 attackmen in the compound of the Duke/Syracuse/Yale/Cornell/UVA etc. where a starting attackman is in the less than 40 point level is Yale where the designated goal scorer is at 35 and 3 for 38 and the Cornell freshman is at 33 points.
- If anyone thinks hoisting the Gold trophy on MD depends on Collison/Peshko and Grimes suddenly become dodging monsters they will be incrediby disappointed. Defense/goaltending and timely shooting is what you got - that's alot - might not be enough
This is a very good analysis. And on some level the offense is the offense and it isn't going to change much at this point in the season. The guys that are going to break out and play well have already done that. You can see some flashes here and there. They clearly want to get one of their freshman guys going - be it Ayers or Chauvette (who appears to have hit a freshman wall - I didn't hear his name called much or at all on Saturday) but right now, the team is going to go with its big time players.

And I completely understand that Hopkins is only going to go as far as their defense, goaltending and trying to limit opponent's face-off wins is going to take them. But, there are teams like ND that have a really good defense but also have a legit offense. The team is going to have to get more from their offense than they are getting now. If it means Collinson (or other players) takes a few more dodges earlier in the game (not that Doc is right) but at a minimum use him more to get other guys set up.

My feeling is just that at some point in the next however many games, the team is going to have to rely on their offense to score. Maybe it isn't a track meet but 8-9 goals isn't likely going to get it done.
I think Chauvette will be fine next year. Great shooter. Prior to the season I said I did not see a big role in the Hopkins offense for Chauvette. That isnt because of his talent. It is because of Degnon. Just redundant skill sets. They are both excellent shooters, with limited arsenals outside of shooting. I couldnt see putting both out on the field, unless you have 3-4 dodgers around them. I will make the call now, that he will be one of the best shooters in the Big 10 next year.
All fair points. Just seem like he was more involved in the offense earlier in the season. This isn't a knock on him but he still only a freshman and there is such a think as the freshman wall.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If Hopkins is seeded ahead of Cuse it's because they will have a lot more quality wins. Right now they have 7 to Cuse's 4. Is having three more wins and the higher RPI enough to overcome the areas where Cuse has the advantage? (e.g. the H2H, not having a "bad loss"). Reasonable people can disagree. I don't think it's that obvious one way or the other. Wouldn't be shocked either way. Cuse certainly has an argument.

I do think our overall resume is superior to Denver's, even accounting for the H2H. I would love another crack at the Pios in the 3v6 or 4v5 quarterfinal matchup.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:28 am Ross Scott over Angelus for 1st team All-B1G might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my entire life, and I've seen a lot of DocB and jhu06 posts.

When the two teams met, Scott had 0 goals and 2 assists. Angelus had 3 goals and 5 assists. Hopkins won by 5. Rutgers went 1-4 and finished last in conference. Hopkins went 5-0 and finished first.

They also had three SSDMs on the second team, and none of them were Brett Martin (or Aviles, for that matter). No B1G defenseman had more player of the week awards this year than Szuluk, and he didn't make either team. Beyond bizarre. Feel like some of the other B1G coaches were butthurt and didn't want to vote too many of our guys in.
In 5 B1G games:
Scott 6G/4A
Angelus 9G/14A
Lol. That about says it all.

One thing about Angelus' game that I wish more people would talk about is that he's literally leading the country in shooting percentage. He's shooting over 52%!!! Do people realize how difficult that is for an X attackman/primary ball carrier getting guarded by every team's #1 defenseman week in and week out? Pat Kavanagh has taken almost exactly the same number of shots, but is shooting 30% (which isn't bad—52% is just otherworldly).
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Pehsko is our representative on the sportsmanship team. That's a different thing.
For some reason, the page I was looking at earlier the B1G website had the wrong chart in for the second team (it had the sportsmanship and second team as identical) - appears to be fixed now. I guess maybe I was the one who was smoking something?
coda

Post by coda »

nyjay wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:31 pm
For some reason, the page I was looking at earlier the B1G website had the wrong chart in for the second team (it had the sportsmanship and second team as identical) - appears to be fixed now. I guess maybe I was the one who was smoking something?
I checked it once and it was down, so I assume it was to correct things. Big 10 is a bit different. I saw Chase get 1st team goalie and a was surprised he got the nod over Fracyon. Then I scrolled down and saw Fracyon was also 1st team.. Never seen 2 Goalies get 1st team before.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

coda wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:39 pm I checked it once and it was down, so I assume it was to correct things. Big 10 is a bit different. I saw Chase get 1st team goalie and a was surprised he got the nod over Fracyon. Then I scrolled down and saw Fracyon was also 1st team.. Never seen 2 Goalies get 1st team before.
Nice to know that maybe I wasn't hallucinating. Even with the "right" first team, they have two goalies and one midfielder. Which of Irelan/Fracyon you going to make play midfield? They both seem like pretty good athletes . . .
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:01 pm If Hopkins is seeded ahead of Cuse it's because they will have a lot more quality wins. Right now they have 7 to Cuse's 4. Is having three more wins and the higher RPI enough to overcome the areas where Cuse has the advantage? (e.g. the H2H, not having a "bad loss"). Reasonable people can disagree. I don't think it's that obvious one way or the other. Wouldn't be shocked either way. Cuse certainly has an argument.

I do think our overall resume is superior to Denver's, even accounting for the H2H. I would love another crack at the Pios in the 3v6 or 4v5 quarterfinal matchup.
Syracuse does have two top five wins (including Hopkins), Hopkins has none. Hopkins has the bad loss against Navy as well. No idea how the committee ranks these things, but if things are close, I would imagine SU should get the benefit of the doubt. We shall see, the remaining games might make this argument pointless.

Another aspect that might make this pointless in the grad scheme of things, geography dictates so much of the first round matchups.
coda

Post by coda »

Powellfan22 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:13 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:01 pm If Hopkins is seeded ahead of Cuse it's because they will have a lot more quality wins. Right now they have 7 to Cuse's 4. Is having three more wins and the higher RPI enough to overcome the areas where Cuse has the advantage? (e.g. the H2H, not having a "bad loss"). Reasonable people can disagree. I don't think it's that obvious one way or the other. Wouldn't be shocked either way. Cuse certainly has an argument.

Syracuse does have two top five wins (including Hopkins), Hopkins has none. Hopkins has the bad loss against Navy as well. No idea how the committee ranks these things, but if things are close, I would imagine SU should get the benefit of the doubt. We shall see, the remaining games might make this argument pointless.

Another aspect that might make this pointless in the grad scheme of things, geography dictates so much of the first round matchups.
There is still a few games left for everyone and it is close enough, that I dont think anyone is a lock to get one of the top 4 seeds right now.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Yeah like I said Cuse has an argument. It depends a lot on what the committee values. Cuse has two top 5 wins, but they still have fewer top 10 wins (2) than Hopkins (3). How much more valuable is a top 5 win than a top 10 win? Or a top 10 win vs. a top 20 win?

One interesting wrinkle is UVA. Right now they're 6. Suppose they flip spots with Hopkins at 3. Suddenly Hopkins has a top 5 win and Cuse has lost one. Could dropping in the RPI actually help Hopkins vis a vis its resume compared to Cuse and others? It's possible.

Also agree that things are probably murkier now than they will be on selection Sunday. The ACC and B1G tournaments (and the BE tourney, for Denver) will probably make some of these decisions more obvious.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:43 pm

Yeah like I said Cuse has an argument. It depends a lot on what the committee values. Cuse has two top 5 wins, but they still have fewer top 10 wins (2) than Hopkins (3). How much more valuable is a top 5 win than a top 10 win? Or a top 10 win vs. a top 20 win?

One interesting wrinkle is UVA. Right now they're 6. Suppose they flip spots with Hopkins at 3. Suddenly Hopkins has a top 5 win and Cuse has lost one. Could dropping in the RPI actually help Hopkins vis a vis its resume compared to Cuse and others? It's possible.

Also agree that things are probably murkier now than they will be on selection Sunday. The ACC and B1G tournaments (and the BE tourney, for Denver) will probably make some of these decisions more obvious.
If Hopkins and uva flip, cuse doesn’t lose a top 5 win. They beat both teams. Hopkins just gains one.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BigTurn wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:53 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:43 pm

If Hopkins and uva flip, cuse doesn’t lose a top 5 win. They beat both teams. Hopkins just gains one.
Ah yeah, good point. Denver would lose one though, which still might help.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Hopkins is also champion of a top conference and beat UMD who Syracuse lost to. More over, Hopkins' top wins were away (outside of Maryland).

I'd give the edge to Hopkins unless Syracuse wins the ACC tournament and Hopkins stumbles in the Big10 tournament.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Valid points on Angelus vs Scott, but maybe chill it with the personal attacks?
Last edited by norcalhop on Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

norcalhop wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:41 pm

Hopkins is also champion of a top conference and beat UMD who Syracuse lost to. More over, Hopkins' top wins were away (outside of Maryland).

I'd give the edge to Hopkins unless Syracuse wins the ACC tournament and Hopkins stumbles in the Big10 tournament.
There’s little need to compare common opponents when two teams have actually played. Their resumes are very similar and cuse has the head to head. They have the edge.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

You should be honored to be posting in the DocBarrister Era.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

BigTurn wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:49 pm

There’s little need to compare common opponents when two teams have actually played. Their resumes are very similar and cuse has the head to head. They have the edge.
Disagree. Hopkins top wins were away (outside of Maryland). An away win should count more than a home win - especially when Syracuse played 7 straight home games before beating Hopkins at a neutral site. Regardless, conference tourney results should render this discussion moot.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

norcalhop wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:56 pm
BigTurn wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:49 pm

Disagree. Hopkins top wins were away (outside of Maryland). An away win should count more than a home win - especially when Syracuse played 7 straight home games before beating Hopkins at a neutral site. Regardless, conference tourney results should render this discussion moot.
Lol you’re dreaming. Cuse has 2 top 5 wins, Hop has none. Idc where it happened.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”