MAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Re: MAC 2024

Post by Laxattackjack »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:10 am
StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:15 am Lots of hate for Cantabene on here. Love him or hate him, the respect he garners is well earned. Built Stevenson from the ground up and has the numbers to prove it. Post Covid the last 4-5 years have been very rough, but let's not take away from his successes.
I don’t mind the occasional “heel” personality such as the one he has come to project. It makes for fun banter, though admittedly it’s far more tolerable when he’s/they’re in a rough patch. I respect the “rank” of head coach, and the championship, but not the individual person. Individuals I respect based on how they conduct themselves.

I’ve seen him have the visitor’s goal not on the field for warm-ups at Mustang Stadium. And watched as the opposing team had to go locate it and personally carry it out, while Cantabene continued putting his men through warm ups. (And there are plenty more examples of these “accidentally on purpose” gamesmanship moves)

He’s a head coach and he’s a champion, and neither of those are mutually exclusive to being petty and classless. Put that same personality next to you at a grocery store check-out and he’s just some obnoxious a**h0le. People generally respect his status (when they’re aware of it), not him as a person, and there is a huge difference.
i don’t care about the championship a decade ago. i wouldn’t want my son playing for a coach like that
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:48 am
StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:15 am Lots of hate for Cantabene on here. Love him or hate him, the respect he garners is well earned. Built Stevenson from the ground up and has the numbers to prove it. Post Covid the last 4-5 years have been very rough, but let's not take away from his successes.
I don’t mind the occasional “heel” personality such as the one he has come to project. It makes for fun banter, though admittedly it’s far more tolerable when he’s/they’re in a rough patch. I respect the “rank” of head coach, and the championship, but not the individual person. Individuals I respect based on how they conduct themselves.

I’ve seen him have the visitor’s goal not on the field for warm-ups at Mustang Stadium. And watched as the opposing team had to go locate it and personally carry it out, while Cantabene continued putting his men through warm ups. (And there are plenty more examples of these “accidentally on purpose” gamesmanship moves)

He’s a head coach and he’s a champion, and neither of those are mutually exclusive to being petty and classless. Put that same personality next to you at a grocery store check-out and he’s just some obnoxious a**h0le. People generally respect his status (when they’re aware of it), not him as a person, and there is a huge difference.
i don’t care about the championship a decade ago. i wouldn’t want my son playing for a coach like that
End of the day, you're either going to love him or hate him. He's loved by the majority of his players. The ones who don't love him are the ones who can't handle being held accountable and couldn't handle being coached hard.

Are the the sidelines antics necessary and do they hurt the team more often than not? Absolutely, won't argue that point.

Calling him classless, an a**hole etc.....Makes it sound more personal but that's your prerogative. He keeps his circle small for a reason. But make no mistake about it he is liked and respected by his former players, teammates and coaches within the Stevenson program and outside it as well.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 pm …Calling him classless, an a**hole etc.....Makes it sound more personal but that's your prerogative…
The opposite of classless is classy, and the opposite of a**hole is a gentleman.

Is coming onto your field with 1 goal prepared and warming up at it, while the opposing team arrives and has to seek out a goal to drag out themselves in order to make themselves (and YOUR field) ready for the game, the actions of someone you would describe as “classy,” or “a gentleman?”

A statement being personal or not doesn’t make it any less true. But no, it’s not personal, it’s just my own opinion drawn from direct observations of his behavior.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

34-1. Classy., a gentleman. An established winner with nothing to prove.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:27 pm 34-1. Classy., a gentleman. An established winner with nothing to prove.
What the heck, a starting attack scored his 6th goal with 3:50 left in the 3rd up 23 to 1. Game left like this everyone on the bench should have been playing the entire second half. 20 - 1 at half and you have starters in for the 3rd is crazy.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:48 am

End of the day, you're either going to love him or hate him. He's loved by the majority of his players. The ones who don't love him are the ones who can't handle being held accountable and couldn't handle being coached hard.

Are the the sidelines antics necessary and do they hurt the team more often than not? Absolutely, won't argue that point.

Calling him classless, an a**hole etc.....Makes it sound more personal but that's your prerogative. He keeps his circle small for a reason. But make no mistake about it he is liked and respected by his former players, teammates and coaches within the Stevenson program and outside it as well.
You were doing OK until “outside it as well”. Cantabene is most certainly not well liked or respected by other coaches. Respect his record certainly, but there is more to coaching than just winning and losing and other coaches see that.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:27 pm 34-1. Classy., a gentleman. An established winner with nothing to prove.
Yeah bad look by Coach Cantabene
Come on coach save some for York! You will need them all then!!
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

I've never met or spoken to anyone from either York or Stevenson.

That said, given all the BS I've seen and heard, whenever these teams meet, I consider myself a big York fan. From the coaches and and refs I know personally, Childs is well respected and liked by his peers. . .
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Regardless of how you feel about coaches/scoring practices I feel like we're starting down a worm hole when the real topic of conversation should be focused on the major games this weekend. Messiah has a chance to really throw a wrench in things if they can somehow beat York Saturday. It seems unlikely but if you enjoy chaos that's a game that would get you excited. York has been much better at home than on the road so the good news for York is they are not traveling. Is there a recipe for Messiah to win this one?
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

When Beaner took over then VJC, he was convinced the PAC AQ was his. His behavior was atrocious. I was only at the VJC/Cabrini games. In that small sample size, he managed to insult everyone he encountered. He created a narrative that VJC was set to take over D3 in 2006. Scheduling the regular season match-up with Cabrini at M&T Bank. I was in attendance. They lost 15-5. He was never able to overcome the Cavs in conference play. My opinion was largely formed. I could not understand why anyone would want to play for him. His personal attacks on opposing players/coaches/refs gave his team permission to do the same. He was so focused on himself and validating his thought that he was better than every coach/program in D3. The picture of him hugging the trophy after their Natty says it all IMHO.

I've softened over the years. And I see his emotional projection for what it is. He has done and does a lot for the game. The scales aren't balanced, but I see the good too.

York is battle hardened and much better organized than their early season contest results would lead you to believe. I don't see a path for Messiah.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

boredatwork wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:11 am Regardless of how you feel about coaches/scoring practices I feel like we're starting down a worm hole when the real topic of conversation should be focused on the major games this weekend. Messiah has a chance to really throw a wrench in things if they can somehow beat York Saturday. It seems unlikely but if you enjoy chaos that's a game that would get you excited. York has been much better at home than on the road so the good news for York is they are not traveling. Is there a recipe for Messiah to win this one?
i was thinking about this. if we get a crazy upset.

messiah 6-1 with win over york and loss to stevenson
york 6-1 with win over stevenson and loss to messiah
stevenson 6-1 with win over messiah and loss to york

wonder how they would figure it out. what if it comes down to points scored in conference. stevenson would get the last laugh by keeping starters in while up by 30

but i see york winning my 10 this weekend, so i dont think it comes into play.

as for york playing better at home?
york is 1-3 at home out of conference
york is 2-4 on road out of conference
york is 3-0 on road in conference and 3-0 at home

seems pretty even.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

:mrgreen:
boredatwork wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:11 am Is there a recipe for Messiah to win this one?
In the rare instance these type upsets occur, they are typically fueled by FO dominance and a stand-on-your-head performance in the cage

Messiah's G Algarin is certainly capable of stonewalling shooters but IMHO York's entire FO unit (including back-ups) would have to eat bad chicken to create a Messiah advantage at the X.

Messiah can score with anybody IF they have the ball. I don't expect them to have that opportunity this year.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

NElaxtalent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:21 am :mrgreen:
boredatwork wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:11 am Is there a recipe for Messiah to win this one?
In the rare instance these type upsets occur, they are typically fueled by FO dominance and a stand-on-your-head performance in the cage

Messiah's G Algarin is certainly capable of stonewalling shooters but IMHO York's entire FO unit (including back-ups) would have to eat bad chicken to create a Messiah advantage at the X.

Messiah can score with anybody IF they have the ball. I don't expect them to have that opportunity this year.
messiah seems to only score big on inferior teams. look at the top points leaders and then look at games vs better than average defense. big drop off. and messiah has not seen a defense anywhere near as good as york
just looking at the schedule. one ranked opponent. and messiah scored 2

the next group of teams that were almost ranked are F&M and Stevenson. a total of 16 points in those three games. or under 6 points per game.

york has the advantage at every position.

anything can happen.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:29 am
as for york playing better at home?
york is 1-3 at home out of conference
york is 2-4 on road out of conference
york is 3-0 on road in conference and 3-0 at home

seems pretty even.
Fair, I was more referencing a couple of concerning slow starts that York had at Alvernia and Hood on the road vs. the starts at home against Stevenson and Eastern.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

boredatwork wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:11 am Regardless of how you feel about coaches/scoring practices I feel like we're starting down a worm hole when the real topic of conversation should be focused on the major games this weekend. Messiah has a chance to really throw a wrench in things if they can somehow beat York Saturday. It seems unlikely but if you enjoy chaos that's a game that would get you excited. York has been much better at home than on the road so the good news for York is they are not traveling. Is there a recipe for Messiah to win this one?
if it is a three-way tie how do they decide? is it conference goal differential? if so Stevenson will be the 1 seed with a York loss.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Asgot wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:56 pm
if it is a three-way tie how do they decide? is it conference goal differential? if so Stevenson will be the 1 seed with a York loss.
It’s a doozy to read, and surprisingly difficult to locate.
1. Regular season to head results between tied teams.
2. Tied teams regular season records vs conference foes.
3. Goal differential between tied teams (6 goal max).
4. Goal differential in conference contests (6 goal max)

https://static.gomacsports.com/custompa ... eakers.pdf
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:30 pm

So for this to happen Messiah would win, therefore:

1. The three teams would be 1-1 between tied teams
2. The three teams would be 6-1 in conference
3. Goal differential between tied team (6 goal max)
>York GD +6
>Stevenson GD 0 (lost by 12 to York, won by 13 over messiah but the difference is capped at 6)
>Messiah GD -6

If Messiah beats York by 6 or more then every team would be even (and this assumes Stevenson beats Widener by 6)

>York +28 (thanks to a 4 goal victory over Eastern)
>Stevenson +30 (maximum goal differential in every game other than York)
>Messiah +23

so in this circumstance if I'm doing this correctly:

1. Stevenson (based on goal differential)
2. Messiah (once the three way tie is broken it goes back to head to head and Messiah has beaten York in this hypothetical)
3. York

Not sure if that's 100% accurate and am ready to have this all wasted with York winning Saturday and sweeping the conference
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:30 pm It’s a doozy to read, and surprisingly difficult to locate.

So best I can tell using these guidelines is, in the event of a York loss to Messiah Saturday (AND a Stevenson win vs Widener), the resulting 3 way 6-1 tie wouldn’t be resolved by 1. and 2.. It would then go to 3. score differential vs each other. The 6 goal max caveat makes it interesting.

Stevenson’s +13 goal diff win over Messiah becomes a +6 and their -12 goal diff loss to York becomes -6 for a net 0 goal diff.

Messiah currently sits at -6 from their -13 Stevenson loss.

York currently sits at +6 from their +12 Stevenson win.

So, for a seed shuffle to occur, Messiah would have to beat York to knot up all of their conference records, AND beat them by at least 6. A 6 goal victory would bring all three teams to a flat 0 goal differential. (A 5 goal win for Messiah moves them up to a -1, York drops to a +1, with Stevenson remaining at 0, would thus break the tie making 1. York 2. Stevenson 3. Messiah).

To keep the fun going, let’s say Messiah beats York by 6+, to put all their goal differentials at 0. Then you go to 4. All conference game goal differentials. (Remember, a 6 goal max)

York currently has a +34 conference goal diff, Stevenson a +24, and Messiah a +17. In our hypothetical, York lost by 6 to Messiah, so York drops to +28, Messiah rises to +23, and then theres Stevenson. At a +24, Stevenson would need to beat Widener by at least 5 goals to usurp York, and the tie would break 1. Stevenson 2. York 3. Messiah. (If Stevenson had anywhere from a 1 goal loss to Widener to a 4 goal win, they remain in the second seed, and a 2 or more goal loss drops them to the third spot).

That was kind of fun to work through.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

boredatwork wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:03 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:30 pm

So for this to happen Messiah would win, therefore:

1. The three teams would be 1-1 between tied teams
2. The three teams would be 6-1 in conference
3. Goal differential between tied team (6 goal max)
>York GD +6
>Stevenson GD 0 (lost by 12 to York, won by 13 over messiah but the difference is capped at 6)
>Messiah GD -6

If Messiah beats York by 6 or more then every team would be even (and this assumes Stevenson beats Widener by 6)

>York +28 (thanks to a 4 goal victory over Eastern)
>Stevenson +30 (maximum goal differential in every game other than York)
>Messiah +23

so in this circumstance if I'm doing this correctly:

1. Stevenson (based on goal differential)
2. Messiah (once the three way tie is broken it goes back to head to head and Messiah has beaten York in this hypothetical)
3. York

Not sure if that's 100% accurate and am ready to have this all wasted with York winning Saturday and sweeping the conference
Haha great minds. (I had my post open and kept coming back to it as my afternoon allowed). I think you got it, nice work.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Anyone comfortable taking a stab at All-Conference heading into the last weekend of the regular season? Several very knowledgeable posters so hopefully all rosters covered.

Does that voting occur before or after the MAC / NCAA tournaments?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”