NCAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
oldtimelax

Re: NCAC 2024

Post by oldtimelax »

Fann, Ned....I will be following the Denison-Wooster game today closely, since I am curious to see if the Scots can hang with The Big Red for at least a half or so. We all want to see the NCAC improve as a conference and Kenyon, Wooster and Oberlin have made strides bringing in better players and improving their out-of-conference schedules. The addition of JCU will also help to raise the profile as a lacrosse conference.

The Scots do have some excellent defensive players, Casey Steffen and Bill Holtzer come to mind, and the student announcer kept on promoting their senior goalie, Paul "The Wall" Callahan. I don't see The Big Red playing the 'fat cat with the mouse'. Denison wins 15-5.
Last edited by oldtimelax on Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Old fashioned butt-kicking by the Big Red, 23-6 over Wooster. Let's see if Scots show up on Tuesday vs. Kenyon in the battle for 3rd place. OWU might have been the fat cat with the mouse, finally pulling away from Albion in the 4Q to win 15-8. Denison also had a problem with the Britons way back in February, winning 14-11.
Last edited by oldtimelax on Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

oldtimelax wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:34 pm Old fashioned butt-kicking by the Big Red, 23-6 over Wooster. Let's see if Scots show up on Wednesday vs. Kenyon in the battle for 3rd place. OWU might have been the fat cat with the mouse, finally pulling away from Albion in the 4Q to win 15-8. Denison also had a problem with the Britons way back in February, winning 14-11.
More comfortable win today for OWU than its 2015 NCAA 2nd round win over Albion. Next up, OWU needs to avoid injuries in its game against Hiram. Wooster v Kenyon looking like it could be a good game. Kenyon will probably be the favorites, but the Owls haven't looked convincing lately.
hatinghayden

Post by hatinghayden »

I think Kenyon v Wooster today will be very close. Both teams have looked strong at times but insanely shaky at other times(Kenyon vs. Witt, Wooster V Alleghany/Dension). It is definitely one to tune into this afternoon, the battle for 3rd. If I were to make a prediction, I would say Owls by 3, but I could see this going either way. Either way, neither of these teams can touch OWU or Denison in my eyes.
bulldodge97

Post by bulldodge97 »

Think today's Wooster-Kenyon game will tell us a lot about each team. Kenyon has had one of the weirdest seasons in D3 lacrosse purely from a results standpoint. Meanwhile, Wooster has pounded the weaker opponents on their schedule while struggling a lot vs the top end teams (minus the Ithaca game). Interested to see how this one plays out in Wooster tonight.

Who has predictions for today?? I've got:

Wittenberg 12, Wabash 7
Ohio Wesleyan 31, Hiram 2
Wooster 9, Kenyon 8 OT
NeOhLaxFan

Post by NeOhLaxFan »

31 goals would be something, although definitely not out of question that could quite happen. Just waiting on Hayden to predict the Terriers in a shocker
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

bulldodge97 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:56 am Think today's Wooster-Kenyon game will tell us a lot about each team. Kenyon has had one of the weirdest seasons in D3 lacrosse purely from a results standpoint. Meanwhile, Wooster has pounded the weaker opponents on their schedule while struggling a lot vs the top end teams (minus the Ithaca game). Interested to see how this one plays out in Wooster tonight.

Wittenberg 12, Wabash 7
Wooster 9, Kenyon 8 OT
Well the old saying is you are what your record says you are. I think we know by now how the NCAC will wind up this year - a roll back of the calendar. OWU v Denison clashing for the AQ. The loser of the conference final and all other NCAC teams watching the National Tournament from home.

As far as tonight’s slate ….

OWU by at least 20 but the result is irrelevant. The Bishops will be simply looking to play the game as quickly as possible, get out of it without injury and get ready to play for the 1 seed on Saturday.

Witt over Wabash by 6…. again doesn’t matter really

Kenyon over the Fighting Sottish Terriers by 4. IMO both will be one and done in the Conference tournament so tonight’s game is a “pick your poison” match up - who do you want in the Semis?
balderdash

Post by balderdash »

Did anyone see this? https://www.instagram.com/p/C6HCQRSrAjB/

Swapping Hiram for JCU is great for the North Coast

Surprised the PAC would take them back? Figured they would end up in the land of the former United East cast-offs (Hilbert, Laroche, etc.)
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

balderdash wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:33 am Did anyone see this? https://www.instagram.com/p/C6HCQRSrAjB/

Surprised the PAC would take them back? Figured they would end up in the land of the former United East cast-offs (Hilbert, Laroche, etc.)
Hiram returning to the Presidents' Athletic Conference! That is indeed great for the NCAC!

https://www.wfmj.com/story/50702737/hir ... conference
bulldodge97

Post by bulldodge97 »

bulldodge97 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:56 am Think today's Wooster-Kenyon game will tell us a lot about each team. Kenyon has had one of the weirdest seasons in D3 lacrosse purely from a results standpoint. Meanwhile, Wooster has pounded the weaker opponents on their schedule while struggling a lot vs the top end teams (minus the Ithaca game). Interested to see how this one plays out in Wooster tonight.

Wittenberg 12, Wabash 7
Wooster 9, Kenyon 8 OT
First of all, great news with Hiram leaving the conference! A rising tide lifts all ships...

As for yesterday's slate, my thoughts...
Wittenberg 19, Wabash 4 - I might have given the Little Giants too much credit. They are building but not quite there yet
Kenyon 15, Wooster 10 - I watched almost all of this game. Wooster once again started the game very strong but fizzled in the 2nd half. Last 3 games the Scots have been outscored 28-7 in the 2nd half. They have struggled to find a consistent first line midfield group all year due to injuries/production. Kenyon goalie made some impressive stops at critical times in the 2nd half. Kudos to the Owls for weathering the Wooster storm (literally and figuratively - it was dumping rain out there).
OWU 29, Hiram 6 - Sayonara Terriers.

Saturday, we have the showdown we've all been waiting for with the winner taking the 1 seed. Kenyon is locked into the 3 and Wooster will be the 4. Gonna be a fun finish to an already great NCAC season!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 am
balderdash wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:33 am Did anyone see this? https://www.instagram.com/p/C6HCQRSrAjB/

Hiram returning to the Presidents' Athletic Conference! That is indeed great for the NCAC!

Every NCAC team’s schedule has just gotten better by default with what for all intents and purposes is swapping Hiram out for JCU. I assume Hiram will be on everyone’s slate next year but the following year, I hope all teams upgrade further by adding a quality OOC game.

So long and good luck to the Terriers in the PAC.
NeOhLaxFan

Post by NeOhLaxFan »

Nosey Ned wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am
FannOLax wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 am

Every NCAC team’s schedule has just gotten better by default with what for all intents and purposes is swapping Hiram out for JCU. I assume Hiram will be on everyone’s slate next year but the following year, I hope all teams upgrade further by adding a quality OOC game.

So long and good luck to the Terriers in the PAC.
Everyone’s SOS will definitely improve by not having a 200+ ranked opponent on their schedule anymore. Hiram will definitely save $$$ on travel and could possibly not be a basement dweller in the PAC since they’ve beaten Bethany a few years consecutively
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Denison takes the first matchup of the season from OWU 10-8 in Delaware, winning the season conference title outright and earning home field for the Big Red in the NCAC Championship Tournament. Nice job gentlemen but that’s just one box checked. Celebrate the win tonight but get ready for the business end of the season that starts now.

Go Big Red!
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Congrats to Denison....cranking up the ride in 3Q turned a 5-4 deficit into 10-5 lead. I was screaming at TV (Roku) for Plantholt to call a TO at 7-5 and try and fix it. Eight failed clears by Bishops and easy transition goals by Big Red turned the tide. Hope they meet again in the final. I believe these are the two best teams, but Kenyon will be geeked to take the Bishops down.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

One thing is for sure: home-field advantage is pretty much non-existent in the Denison-OWU rivalry game. A good example is 2018, when there were three rivalry games, two in Granville and one in Delaware, OH, with all three games won by the visitors. When I was a kid growing up in Granville, OWU won every rivalry game I attended in Gville. Sure, times change, but with just 30 or so miles separating these two schools, the visitors have an easy road trip. Under-rated lacrosse rivalry!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

As we wait for the NCAC playoffs to start on Thursday there is a big announcement due tomorrow! The NCAC 40th Anniversary All-Decade Team will be released by the conference. It covers the 2014-2023 competition years if I’m not mistaken. Who do you got being honored?

Some names that readily come to my mind are ..,
Att
Liam Rooney. DU
Marcus Dietz. OWU
Peter Pittroff. DU
Max Tennant. OWU
Spencer Butler. DU
Mid
Luke Leyden. OWU
Blair Fairnholt. DU
James Meager. DU
Jake Waxter. DU
Def
Ben Duhowski. DU
Teddy Sawyer. DU
LSM
John Griffen. OWU
G
Ryan McMahon. OWU
FO
Eric Baumgartner. DU
Henry DeCamp. DU

I’m sure I’ve missed some guys and I’m also sure not all the above will make the final cut but all are deserving in my eyes. What say you?
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

That's a pretty good list...I would add in LSM-DSSM Trent Schulte (two-time AA)and DSSM Peter Hamblett, who was an First Team All-American and D3 Short-Stick Defensive Middie of the Year in 2018.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, Hamblett should definitely be there. I think the NCAC needs to throw a bone to someone from a school other than OWU/Denison. Kenyon FOGO Nelson?
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:25 pm Yes, Hamblett should definitely be there. I think the NCAC needs to throw a bone to someone from a school other than OWU/Denison. Kenyon FOGO Nelson?
I agree that the NCAC would like to have more schools represented on the All-Decade Team but I read that to qualify, you need to have won one of the Player of the Year awards or have a minimum (3) 1st team selections. I don’t think Nelson meets either criteria.

The list is short of players that meet that criteria so I’m not sure “throwing a bone” comes in to play. And it shouldn’t - an All-Decade Team should be the best of the best.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Wooster's Steffen has won Defensive Player of the Year, so maybe he'll make the list.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”