Salisbury 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
highbouncerswillgo

Re: Salisbury 2024

Post by highbouncerswillgo »

EasternShoreLaxGuy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:46 am
Frank Rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:47 am
Backlax wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:14 pm Gulls dismantle SMCM. Hawks not ready for prime time. Unfortunate they joined such a low-level league. Gulls gearing up for the third season.
Go look at their out of conference schedule. Lets not forget how many grad transfers, D1 transfers, and kids in their 6th year still playing lacrosse on your roster
Go read CNU's thread. Clearly grad transfers and people doing what the NCAA almost encouraged back in 2020 is something that can be a plus or a minus. Not fair to blame SU for playing the game of eligibility the right way. Do you want Berkman to tell guys they aren't allowed to play for him because they are choosing to grow up at 23 instead of 22? Doubt any 5th or 6th year has lost opportunities to get a job after choosing to compete for one more year. And yesterdays outcome would've been the same if the older guys sat. St. Mary's doesn't have many guys making SU's roster
All these teams with lots of 5th and 6th years are going to hurt in 2 years when all that goes away. All of a sudden you are going to have teams with seniors who never played any significant minutes because they backed up some guy who was there 2 years too long. Where normally you would make mistakes as a sophomore or junior and learn from them you will have full teams of guys with great skills no doubt, but they won't have the in game experience you normally lean on your seniors for.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

highbouncerswillgo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:57 am
EasternShoreLaxGuy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:46 am
Backlax wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:14 pm Gulls dismantle SMCM. Hawks not ready for prime time. Unfortunate they joined such a low-level league. Gulls gearing up for the third season.
Go look at their out of conference schedule. Lets not forget how many grad transfers, D1 transfers, and kids in their 6th year still playing lacrosse on your roster
Go read CNU's thread. Clearly grad transfers and people doing what the NCAA almost encouraged back in 2020 is something that can be a plus or a minus. Not fair to blame SU for playing the game of eligibility the right way. Do you want Berkman to tell guys they aren't allowed to play for him because they are choosing to grow up at 23 instead of 22? Doubt any 5th or 6th year has lost opportunities to get a job after choosing to compete for one more year. And yesterdays outcome would've been the same if the older guys sat. St. Mary's doesn't have many guys making SU's roster
All these teams with lots of 5th and 6th years are going to hurt in 2 years when all that goes away. All of a sudden you are going to have teams with seniors who never played any significant minutes because they backed up some guy who was there 2 years too long. Where normally you would make mistakes as a sophomore or junior and learn from them you will have full teams of guys with great skills no doubt, but they won't have the in game experience you normally lean on your seniors for.
Totally hear that! I don't blame the programs, coaches or kids. They are all navigating it as best they can. You have to lay the entire situation at the feet of the NC$$. The vast majority of us would likely have chosen to use the eligibility if we had it, although I will say, I was also ready to make some money and start my life. I still have weird stress dreams about having an extra year myself and getting called back to play, but I'm my actual age and I can't run/hang. (Deep thoughts with MVP)
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Gulls make up for weaker conference with quality OOC schedule. Regarding 5th year players and transfers, all within rules and guidelines of NCAA. Good players want to win and play for HOF coach, can you blame them? Goalie FOGOs, mids,, attack, LSM are not even seniors. Salisbury winning is about culture, commitment and hardwork. Coaches, players, fans, alumni, administration and parents all work toward success. No smoke and mirrors, 30+ years of success doesn’t come by accident. Other programs have this also, it’s unfortunate that yours does not.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Motorman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:48 am
Gulls make up for weaker conference with quality OOC schedule. Regarding 5th year players and transfers, all within rules and guidelines of NCAA. Good players want to win and play for HOF coach, can you blame them? Goalie FOGOs, mids,, attack, LSM are not even seniors. Salisbury winning is about culture, commitment and hardwork. Coaches, players, fans, alumni, administration and parents all work toward success. No smoke and mirrors, 30+ years of success doesn’t come by accident. Other programs have this also, it’s unfortunate that yours does not.
The so called "low-level league" is better than a lot of the more established conferences. Give it 2-3 years and see where it is. The lacrosse landscape is changing pretty fast.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

Please - Which conferences would that be?
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Backlax wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:16 pm Please - Which conferences would that be?
All but 4.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

EastCoastLax664 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 am
Nobody seems ready for Salisbury in 2024. As for the low-level league, there was no other option at the time they joined the United East. I would argue it is better to win the UE every year, go to NCAAs, have a strong OOC schedule, rather than finish 3rd in the CLC every year.
I'm actually a product of this philosophy. It's a proven path and if your staff/school stay the course, it can lead to some big things down the line.
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

Where did Jude Brown play????
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:33 am
EastCoastLax664 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 am
Nobody seems ready for Salisbury in 2024. As for the low-level league, there was no other option at the time they joined the United East. I would argue it is better to win the UE every year, go to NCAAs, have a strong OOC schedule, rather than finish 3rd in the CLC every year.
I'm actually a product of this philosophy. It's a proven path and if your staff/school stay the course, it can lead to some big things down the line.

Just wanted to throw my two sense in here being a guy who played in the MACC in the mid 2010's........

The MACC was a joke and Cantabene had us play the hardest schedule possible from 2013-2014 in my last two years there. Horrible in conference schedule but our OOC schedule was usually top 2 in the country. We got to the quarters almost every year. Before the MACC we came in second every year in the CAC which was LOADED up until 2012. Only year we beat Bury in the CAC finals was 2010 I believe.

Point being the strategy works, can't control what conference you play in especially at a school like Salisbury.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:23 am Where did Jude Brown play????
You mean before he won a National Championship at Salisbury? Why did he leave the previous school?
Slim

Post by Slim »

Brown graduated from SMCM. Had a great career there leading team to relevancy.

Doing leadership graduate program at SU, while winning natty's!
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

MVPiccoli » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:16 am
If your definition of prime time is the ability to create a competitive outcome/close game with the Gulls, there aren't but two or three of those at this level, and they appear to be situated in the north. Maybe the Garnet if everything went their way down south.

In some ways, I wonder if your roster craves more, in terms of real tests. The WAC game gives Berkman something to point to in terms of complacency the rest of the way. Doubtful Brown will be held in check/have such an off shooting day again.
Greetings MVP; Agree with you on the WAC game. SMCM was a better performance by the Gulls but I noticed a lack of off ball movement at times. It could have been a tactic to freeze the D to create goalie blind spots or just ball watching. Good on picks, posts and getting hands free 1 on 1.
Backlax » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:14 pm
Gulls gearing up for the third season.
Right on with that post.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Busy week coming up. Didn't want to let it pass without saying thank you. Thank you for being the standard. Thanks to your incredible Head Coach for honoring his commitment, and his outstanding stewardship. While I don't see a path to victory for my side this season, I anticipate a continuation of all out effort by the boat burning boys in blue and white. I won't miss driving down to Gull-land in May and making the disgruntled drive home. I will miss the annual chance to see if what I think the Cavs have is real or just on paper. It's been a mostly one-sided affair, but it's still been a lot of fun. Best of luck on Friday, for the rest of this season, and in the years to come!
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

Excited for this matchup on Friday, always had a lot of respect for Cabrini/Colfer.

Feel like SU/Cabrini lived similar lives in which they were/are the top dogs in their conference so had to follow the same script. Play an incredibly challenging non-conference schedule and work to keep guys motivated and peaking as the months turn towards May.

As the rare YCP/SU grad, I was scared of the team York had in 2019 (the attack unit is what did it) and so when Cabrini stormed back to beat York in the last minutes in the quarterfinals I was elated York was gone. Colfer and Krug had other plans and just outplayed the Gulls that day.

Will definitely miss the battles, I’m not sure SU wins the 2017 national championship without that loss to Cabrini in the regular season (the Aaron Leeds game). Something clicked after that game and they played at a higher level the rest of the way.

Last thing, SU always would interview both coaches after NCAA tournament games. Watched Colfer in those videos and was hard not to root for him. Even in 2019 when he finally took down the gulls, I was excited for him and his program.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Agree with this all, but my lasting impression of Colfer is the exit strategy and then, maybe more importantly, the denial of it. I don’t know that I could ever move past it, and that’s just an outsider evaluating a person’s integrity (I can’t imagine the emotional conundrum of those that went to war for him over the years).
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:57 am Agree with this all, but my lasting impression of Colfer is the exit strategy and then, maybe more importantly, the denial of it. I don’t know that I could ever move past it, and that’s just an outsider evaluating a person’s integrity (I can’t imagine the emotional conundrum of those that went to war for him over the years).
Last year (2023) against the Bugs, I took my two older kids to ERDF to take in the game. Cavs went down big, maybe 8 or 9 to 1. I didn't hear Colf's voice. Unthinkable. Watched his defeated body language. Knew something was wrong, but didn't know what. While I would have liked to have seen him go out on his shield, that's selfish of me, and doesn't take his family/career into consideration. I sent him one sober and one toasted thank you email (same night I was typing stupid stuff on here). I can only speak for myself, but what happened at the end didn't invalidate everything else.
Jknows wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:35 am Excited for this matchup on Friday, always had a lot of respect for Cabrini/Colfer.

Feel like SU/Cabrini lived similar lives in which they were/are the top dogs in their conference so had to follow the same script. Play an incredibly challenging non-conference schedule and work to keep guys motivated and peaking as the months turn towards May.

As the rare YCP/SU grad, I was scared of the team York had in 2019 (the attack unit is what did it) and so when Cabrini stormed back to beat York in the last minutes in the quarterfinals I was elated York was gone. Colfer and Krug had other plans and just outplayed the Gulls that day.

Will definitely miss the battles, I’m not sure SU wins the 2017 national championship without that loss to Cabrini in the regular season (the Aaron Leeds game). Something clicked after that game and they played at a higher level the rest of the way.

Last thing, SU always would interview both coaches after NCAA tournament games. Watched Colfer in those videos and was hard not to root for him. Even in 2019 when he finally took down the gulls, I was excited for him and his program.
That Leeds game was wild. Appreciate the comments! That 2019 YCP squad was super deep. Feel that.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MVPiccoli wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:19 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:57 am Agree with this all, but my lasting impression of Colfer is the exit strategy and then, maybe more importantly, the denial of it. I don’t know that I could ever move past it, and that’s just an outsider evaluating a person’s integrity (I can’t imagine the emotional conundrum of those that went to war for him over the years).
Last year (2023) against the Bugs, I took my two older kids to ERDF to take in the game. Cavs went down big, maybe 8 or 9 to 1. I didn't hear Colf's voice. Unthinkable. Watched his defeated body language. Knew something was wrong, but didn't know what. While I would have liked to have seen him go out on his shield, that's selfish of me, and doesn't take his family/career into consideration. I sent him one sober and one toasted thank you email (same night I was typing stupid stuff on here). I can only speak for myself, but what happened at the end didn't invalidate everything else.
Very fair, I totally understand the element of self/family financial preservation, and you are in more position than most anyone on here to judge or forgive when it comes to Cabrini. So your forgiveness is to be noted.

But there were so many different ways to articulate or sidestep that when he went on that podcast and was asked about it shortly thereafter. Something to the effect of “I wasn’t sure what I was legally able to divulge,” or “there were a lot of moving parts, and I wasn’t 100% sure what exactly was going to happen at the time, but I decided for the security/stability of my family to make the move.” Instead of stating something so obviously false like he did, that his departure was unrelated to the school’s closure and he had no idea that that was happening. That is where I myself run into trouble reconciling it.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:18 pm Very fair, I totally understand the element of self/family financial preservation, and you are in more position than most anyone on here to judge or forgive when it comes to Cabrini. So your forgiveness is to be noted.

But there were so many different ways to articulate or sidestep that when he went on that podcast and was asked about it shortly thereafter. Something to the effect of “I wasn’t sure what I was legally able to divulge,” or “there were a lot of moving parts, and I wasn’t 100% sure what exactly was going to happen at the time, but I decided for the security/stability of my family to make the move.” Instead of stating something so obviously false like he did, that his departure was unrelated to the school’s closure and he had no idea that that was happening. That is where I myself run into trouble reconciling it.
That threw me for a loop too. I think I posted something about him selling wolf tickets (shout out Nick Diaz!). That was a TOUGH listen.

EDIT: DIDN'T MEAN TO HIJACK THE GULL THREAD!
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

That was expected but still fun. Our boys played hard and enthusiastically competed. I doubt any words from this shallow place make their way to Coach, but if any of you know that man, tell him we are grateful for his commitment! As far as last regular season games go, I can’t think of a better way than to share the field with a program as storied as Salisbury. Cheers!
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

I didn’t get to catch any of the game tonight but noticed that Strub or Nestor didn’t register any points. Were they out or just had a quiet night? Two great players would hate if they were out for extended time.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”