MAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
StevieUAlum

Re: MAC 2024

Post by StevieUAlum »

Wanted to get opinions on if York & Stevenson split their potential two matchups, is there any way the committee gets both of them in regardless who wins the conference championship IF they meet.

In the past it's been a clear long shot but from what I've seen from these two teams this year, the records aren't reflective of their talent level, in particular York. To me these two teams are as good if not better than a multitude of teams ranked 15-20.

Give me some feedback!
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am Wanted to get opinions on if York & Stevenson split their potential two matchups, is there any way the committee gets both of them in regardless who wins the conference championship IF they meet.

In the past it's been a clear long shot but from what I've seen from these two teams this year, the records aren't reflective of their talent level, in particular York. To me these two teams are as good if not better than a multitude of teams ranked 15-20.

Give me some feedback!
Seems unlikely that both (or either) will be Regionally Ranked at all. So probably just the AQ.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

No chance that either makes the tourney without the AQ
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am Wanted to get opinions on if York & Stevenson split their potential two matchups, is there any way the committee gets both of them in regardless who wins the conference championship IF they meet.

Give me some feedback!
Long answer
They are both hands down better than a smattering of teams enjoying poll rankings at the moment. (That I intentionally don’t name, to avoid arguments) And thankfully those polls are for little more than our own entertainment and interest as fans.

What really matter is record, SOS, and regional ranked wins (I wish I knew the formula for how it’s calculated if one exists). It’s really tough to make any sense of it without the regional rankings. The 23-24 regions are broken down here: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... gnment.pdf
Each region only gets 7 rankings. Being in region 3, I see little chance that either York or Stevenson ends up regionally ranked. Putting Salisbury, Dickinson, Stevens, CNU, Swarthmore, Gettysburg in as clearly ahead of Spartans/‘Stangs leaves 1 spot for the rest of the strong region to fight over.

In a world where York wins out and loses in the championship, they would be 11-8 with a SOS through the roof, and likely 2 regionally ranked wins (W&L and Denison).

For Stevenson in the same scenario, they would be 13-6, a solid SOS, and likely 1 regionally ranked win (W&L).

Wins vs each other won’t help them, as both will likely not be regionally ranked. Just on SOS and regionally ranked wins, York would have an edge in a heads up comparison with Stevenson for an at-large bid IMHO (which doesn’t matter because 1 will have the AQ so they won’t be being compared). But with those every present tournament upsets, at-large bids will evaporate QUICK, so this is not something I feel has much potential.

Short answer
No
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

there are just too many other teams more deserving then York or Stevenson for at large. they only take 10
NESCAC has 8 teams with better record and resume
CLC has 2
Centennial has 3
Liberty has 3
ODAC has 2

that’s 18 teams. and of those, 4 will get AQ. that leaves at least 14 teams before you get to York or Stevenson
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Awful quiet here for THIS game day…

Should be a cloudy 63 degrees at Kinsley tonight. No rain at 7p, but turf slightly damp from light rain earlier

Big one here for both squads.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

No LL baseball or kid activities in West Chester, PA tonight. Skipping my Cavs playing a very, very down Centenary squad to catch this live stream. Hoping for a barn burner. I'm still shocked at my own thoughts around rooting for the Stangs. As Beaner has been humbled a bit the last decade, I find myself somehow drawn to seeing them rise again. His hubris/behavior when he took over VJC took me awhile to get over. Saw it up close and personal.

Much respect to Childs and YCP though. Other than the recent-ish clashes with Cabrini, I've pulled for you all. It seems inevitable to me, given the recruiting success and coaching, that big things will happen at some point.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 am Awful quiet here for THIS game day…

Should be a cloudy 63 degrees at Kinsley tonight. No rain at 7p, but turf slightly damp from light rain earlier

Big one here for both squads.
It's too early on a Wednesday to get everyone all riled up again DeepPocket ;)

Pumped to see this young group from Stevenson play their biggest game of the year yet. Win or lose I think they both meet again but winning is always the objective in this game.

Going to invoke my bias here and predict a 13-11 win for the Mustangs! Best of luck to York! Hoping for a thriller!
liongoes

Post by liongoes »

Everyone knows which team has the better offense, the scoreboard really needs to throw its feelings and bias out the window right now.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Stevenson’s season isn’t over yet, and it is highly likely they will get a shot at redemption vs York in the conference tournament. I’m happy they are back playing at their ability level this year, as the conference is much better with them playing well (as well as Messiah, Eastern, and Widener).

The page now turns to Saturday’s matchup between Messiah and Stevenson. The winner will likely lock up the 2 seed in the conference tournament, and the loser the 3 seed. Either way, they will also likely face each other again in the semis 2-3 matchup.

Messiah has a lot of talent, and is on the rise having beaten both Widener and Eastern. Stevenson will be looking to prove that they’re still in contention for the top of the MAC-C.

The stage is set for a good game. But I believe Stevenson will play too fast and angry for Messiah, on the heels of the let down vs York, and I see the game ending 18-10 Stevenson.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

is this a typo? did albright beat eastern 17-2? how does this happen?
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:20 pm is this a typo? did albright beat eastern 17-2? how does this happen?
Eastern site has it 17-2 Eastern so IL is wrong
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:43 pm … I believe Stevenson will play too fast and angry for Messiah, on the heels of the let down vs York, and I see the game ending 18-10 Stevenson.
22-9, not too far off.
D3laxfan22

Post by D3laxfan22 »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:03 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:43 pm … I believe Stevenson will play too fast and angry for Messiah, on the heels of the let down vs York, and I see the game ending 18-10 Stevenson.
22-9, not too far off.
I'm not saying it would have made a huge difference in the score, but I have never seen a group of grown men (the refs) be so afraid of one man (Paul Cantabene). Stevenson's coach was officiating the game from the sideline. Well, actually he had more field time than probably 30 guys on his 62 man roster, but that’s beside the point. Messiah didn’t look as good as they have been, hoping they can get it together before they meet Stevenson again.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MACtion of note in this final week of conference play;

Wednesday-

Eastern vs Widener - will likely decide the last team in the Commonwealth tournament.

Saturday-

Arcadia vs DeSales- will likely decide the 2nd seed in the Freedom tournament.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Odd D-Player of the Week results in the MAC-C this week...

Stevenson's FO wins the award after winning 26 FOs and losing 29 (47.3%)

Vs York 7 of 30 (23.3%) 0g, 0a
Vs Messiah 19 of 25 (76%) 2g, 0a

York's FO for its 2 games won 31 FOs and lost 8 (79.5%)

Vs Stevenson 18 of 24 (75%) 1g, 0a
Vs Widener 13 of 15 (86.7%) 1g, 3a

I'm presuming York HC, AD &/or SID simply did not submit Facciponti for D-POTW??? Kind of stunned Stevenson would nominate theirs after 7 of 30 H2H last Wed. Heck, the York back-up went 5 of 6 against the Stevenson FOGO.

Serious bulletin board material. That rematch is going to be 🔥🔥🔥 a definite must-see stream.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

NElaxtalent wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:06 pm Odd D-Player of the Week results in the MAC-C this week...

I'm presuming York HC, AD &/or SID simply did not submit Facciponti for D-POTW??? Kind of stunned Stevenson would nominate theirs after 7 of 30 H2H last Wed. Heck, the York back-up went 5 of 6 against the Stevenson FOGO.

Serious bulletin board material. That rematch is going to be 🔥🔥🔥 a definite must-see stream.

In his defense he’s was losing the faceoffs and being forced back on defense, unlike York’s Facciponti who spent most of the game winning faceoffs and transitioning to offense.

If that accolade is Cantabene’s win, he can have it.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:09 pm
NElaxtalent wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:06 pm Odd D-Player of the Week results in the MAC-C this week...

In his defense he’s was losing the faceoffs and being forced back on defense, unlike York’s Facciponti who spent most of the game winning faceoffs and transitioning to offense.

Have said it before and will say it again, Halpin dominates lesser opponents. Don't understand the continued weekly accolades. Any time he faces anyone of relevance, he gets dominated.

Hopefully we get another shot at the Spartans but I'd be hard pressed to see the Stangs make up a 12 goal difference IF they get there.

Lots of hate for Cantabene on here. Love him or hate him, the respect he garners is well earned. Built Stevenson from the ground up and has the numbers to prove it. Post Covid the last 4-5 years have been very rough, but let's not take away from his successes.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:15 am
DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:09 pm

Have said it before and will say it again, Halpin dominates lesser opponents. Don't understand the continued weekly accolades. Any time he faces anyone of relevance, he gets dominated.

Hopefully we get another shot at the Spartans but I'd be hard pressed to see the Stangs make up a 12 goal difference IF they get there.

Lots of hate for Cantabene on here. Love him or hate him, the respect he garners is well earned. Built Stevenson from the ground up and has the numbers to prove it. Post Covid the last 4-5 years have been very rough, but let's not take away from his successes.
I wasn't hating on Cantabene at all. I had figured Facciponti was a lock for the award after 2 dominating performances. I was then stunned it went to the Stevenson FOGO in the same week York rolled Stevenson, largely BECAUSE of FO dominance.

No big deal, in the end all that game decided is where the championhip gets played. As you said, hard to imagine closing a 12 goal gap in 2 weeks but it will start 0-0 and that is why they play the games.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:15 am Lots of hate for Cantabene on here. Love him or hate him, the respect he garners is well earned. Built Stevenson from the ground up and has the numbers to prove it. Post Covid the last 4-5 years have been very rough, but let's not take away from his successes.
I don’t mind the occasional “heel” personality such as the one he has come to project. It makes for fun banter, though admittedly it’s far more tolerable when he’s/they’re in a rough patch. I respect the “rank” of head coach, and the championship, but not the individual person. Individuals I respect based on how they conduct themselves.

I’ve seen him have the visitor’s goal not on the field for warm-ups at Mustang Stadium. And watched as the opposing team had to go locate it and personally carry it out, while Cantabene continued putting his men through warm ups. (And there are plenty more examples of these “accidentally on purpose” gamesmanship moves)

He’s a head coach and he’s a champion, and neither of those are mutually exclusive to being petty and classless. Put that same personality next to you at a grocery store check-out and he’s just some obnoxious a**h0le. People generally respect his status (when they’re aware of it), not him as a person, and there is a huge difference.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”