All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: All Things Environment

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

At least Al Gore isn’t making any money off the hoax:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/20/weather/ ... index.html
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:18 pm At least Al Gore isn’t making any money off the hoax:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/20/weather/ ... index.html
A lot of assumptions in the engineering of the built infra are going to turn out to have been “bad” bets.

What will be fascinating is dome of the next set of assumptions made as humans try and geo-engineer these challenges.

Speaking of old geo-engineering efforts, see this?

“ But now, with Lake Powell, the reservoir behind the dam, at a near-record low due to climate change and steady demand for water, these pipes could be a lot more important. If Lake Powell continues to shrink, they may be the only way to get water out of it and into the Colorado River.

"In nearly 60 years of operation at Glen Canyon Dam, we didn't need to address the issues that we're facing now," says Wayne Pullan the Bureau of Reclamation's Upper Colorado Basin regional director.

Water managers are now worried because of recently discovered damage was discovered inside those important tubes. It's caused by tiny air bubbles that pop so hard, they can rip away chunks of pipe.”

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/17/12453001 ... canyon-dam
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Roll the tape……

A consensus isn’t UNANIMOUS!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:04 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:57 am
Right wingers lose their minds again.
:lol:
It first started when the lib tards came for our toilets. You remember those lib mandated beauties that took 5 flushes to send a turd on its journey. :D The problem with asbestos is for all its risks it is an effective heat shield. I don't know if a better product has been developed that is cost effective. I have been in countless basements of older buildings where those boiler pipes are all wrapped with those distinctive metal bands. As long as it is contained and not exposed or falling apart it is not a big issue. I've also seen many of these old pipes where the asbestos insulation is torn and hanging down completely exposed. I left several jobs when I saw those conditions and said I'm not going back down there until the problem has been remediated. I think there were several times where the building owners didn't even know what was lurking in their basement.
In all seriousness, NO2 isn’t good for you, your wife, or your dog.

We may have differences of opinion on some matters, but I don’t wish ill-health on anyone, or animal.

“Indoor gas and propane appliances raise average concentrations of the harmful pollutant, also known as NO2, to 75% of the World Health Organization’s standard for indoor and outdoor exposure.

That means even if a person avoids exposure to nitrogen dioxide from traffic exhaust, power plants, or other sources, by cooking with a gas stove they will have already breathed in three-quarters of what is considered a safe limit.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -pollution
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:35 pm
It first started when the lib tards came for our toilets. You remember those lib mandated beauties that took 5 flushes to send a turd on its journey. :D The problem with asbestos is for all its risks it is an effective heat shield. I don't know if a better product has been developed that is cost effective. I have been in countless basements of older buildings where those boiler pipes are all wrapped with those distinctive metal bands. As long as it is contained and not exposed or falling apart it is not a big issue. I've also seen many of these old pipes where the asbestos insulation is torn and hanging down completely exposed. I left several jobs when I saw those conditions and said I'm not going back down there until the problem has been remediated. I think there were several times where the building owners didn't even know what was lurking in their basement.

We may have differences of opinion on some matters, but I don’t wish ill-health on anyone, or animal.

“Indoor gas and propane appliances raise average concentrations of the harmful pollutant, also known as NO2, to 75% of the World Health Organization’s standard for indoor and outdoor exposure.

That means even if a person avoids exposure to nitrogen dioxide from traffic exhaust, power plants, or other sources, by cooking with a gas stove they will have already breathed in three-quarters of what is considered a safe limit.”

I cook on my propane grill outside of my house. Our new gas stove has been properly vented and properly vented is the operative term. I'm working under the assumption you understand what proper venting is all about?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:50 pm

I cook on my propane grill outside of my house. Our new gas stove has been properly vented and properly vented is the operative term. I'm working under the assumption you understand what proper venting is all about?
Suit yourself. I tried.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:57 pm

Suit yourself. I tried.
Tried what?

Joe
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:05 pm

Suit yourself. I tried.
Tried what?

Joe
Ever eaten in a restaurant, PizzaSnake? They're not usin' electric ranges, my man. And they're not using ONE range.

Hoods with fans pulling upward are in both commercial and home kitchens for a reason.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:43 pm

Suit yourself. I tried.
Tried what?

Joe
Ever eaten in a restaurant, PizzaSnake? They're not usin' electric ranges, my man. And they're not using ONE range.

Hoods with fans pulling upward are in both commercial and home kitchens for a reason.
Like I said...those vent fans ROCK...
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Unfortunately tons of homes don't have a vent these days. Just the idiotic microwave over the stove that blows grease all over the ceiling. That doesn't filter out a lot of the stuff from our gas stove. It's cheaper to build kitchens without a vent.

We have to cook with a door open and a fan on if we want actual ventilation. Adding a vent from our stove to the outside is pretty much impossible with our kitchen setup. We'd be looking at at a 20-30' run with two to three elbows. That's if there was even space without taking out structural elements.

Personally I blame those idiot libs for taking lead out of our gasoline and paint, and cocaine out of our Coca Cola, lithium out of our 7-Up, and all those pesky FDA regulations. Consumers should have the choice of whether they want to use stuff that's bad for them and their kids and the people around them.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:43 pm

Suit yourself. I tried.
Tried what?

Joe

““Ventilation does help but it’s an imperfect solution and ultimately the best way is to reduce pollution at the source.”

Nitrogen dioxide irritates the airways and can exacerbate respiratory illnesses such as asthma. The Stanford study estimates that chronic stove-based nitrogen dioxide exposure is linked to at least 50,000 cases of pediatric asthma in the United States each year. The research, which measured NO2 in more than 100 homes before, during, and after gas stove use, found that pollution migrates to bedrooms within an hour of the stove turning on, and stays above dangerous levels for hours after use.”

Yes, as hard as it may be to believe, they do have restaurants where I live, although my patronage had been down for a few years. Too expensive and the food quality is mediocre.

Having said that, yes, I do understand venting. Doesn’t mean I don’t strive to minimize exposure to pollutants.

I was trying to pass along helpful information. I won’t bother in the future.
a fan

Post by a fan »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:07 pm Unfortunately tons of homes don't have a vent these days. Just the idiotic microwave over the stove that blows grease all over the ceiling. That doesn't filter out a lot of the stuff from our gas stove. It's cheaper to build kitchens without a vent.

We have to cook with a door open and a fan on if we want actual ventilation. Adding a vent from our stove to the outside is pretty much impossible with our kitchen setup. We'd be looking at at a 20-30' run with two to three elbows. That's if there was even space without taking out structural elements.

Personally I blame those idiot libs for taking lead out of our gasoline and paint, and cocaine out of our Coca Cola, lithium out of our 7-Up, and all those pesky FDA regulations. Consumers should have the choice of whether they want to use stuff that's bad for them and their kids and the people around them.
Speaking as someone who deals with OSHA regulations....you can tell that they were written by factory owners. Some of the tolerances for things like C02 are batsh*t crazy high....there's NO WAY I'd let my crew work near fermenters with 4900 ppm in the area for 8 hours. Our in house cap is 3,000 at any time. Grateful for libs in the vast majority, but not all, regulatory controls. Sometimes they do more harm than good. Sometimes.

I was speaking to the efficiency of true hoods. They really do work. If you don't believe that they do, your hot water boiler is a crapton more dangerous than a gas stove.....lots more BTUs (in most cases), and therefore combustion gases, and your basement has nowhere for those gases to go if your vents don't work.

Return to “POLITICS”