~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxbro11

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by laxbro11 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:47 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:59 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:13 pm Ok age is an answer that at least supports it. Though I don’t know the Brundage relates to his kids any better but maybe. Once you’re in your 30s I don’t see anyone really relating well.

(Btw a Hobart person I know who’s got info insists Patterson was changed to 4 star but I don’t see it and don’t care-current FR at Bart-not to mention the stars are circular and backwards looking as many on this page have discussed historically)

Im not picking any fights I just think blaming the new guy an outsider quickly doesn’t make sense or at least isn’t very thoughtful. Someone pointed out maybe Kram that the problem is larger than one person and that’s most likely correct but folks like easy buttons I guess. Just see hysterical talk here. And trusting a parent posting while their kid is in the team is a shaky proposition hopefully you understand.

Maybe MVA is not what he was. Maybe Charlie isn’t. You ever see someone get stale 20yrs into a gig even a talented person because I have all over the place. But I think you guys all need to look a lot deeper and may be disappointed if you just swap ACs and things don’t improve.

BTW don’t know what would be different but the NCAa has refused to allow Hobart to give scholarships since they were effectively forced to move to D1 in 1995. Have appealed for same status as Hop as the only other grandfathered lacrosse school and if you know real lacrosse history you know half Hobart’s D3 schedule in the 80s was D1 teams. we’ve made kids pay full freight the whole
Time until now. I know of a few we were the #2 and it flat out came down to
Money w couldn’t offer who were 4 stars. Only now that the NIL world exists did they allow us to give scholarships. Some people like a little complain at Rutgers who doesn’t know his head from his a** likes to take baby shots as a clear non athlete draping himself in others glory but folks who care about lacrosse history typically appreciate what Hobart has had to do just to be at this level and to make occasional playoffs and everything. Else with the wind in their faces. Shared conferees w Loyola and both been in PL, I’d think there’s a lot of reasons to appreciate each others programs but I know kids and people under 30 think things like that hip hop started in 2014…”man I don’t know who all y’all are!”

https://youtu.be/XmuGBNBBu3A?si=DEDvUL5zUWm-q1Na
I played for Toomey and have a few small annoyances with some things he does and doesn't do with the program. But he has a proven method and system and type of player that he looks for and that has won him a national title at a somewhat niche school. I have not.

I can tell you the school will NOT remove Toomey because of what he has done for the college and how he runs his program. It meshes with the school's mission and vision for a Mid-sized Catholic University. He does a great job with the boys off the field. And that has value to the university. It's his job for as long as he wants it. Period.

I also understand that fans are calling for MVA's head, because it's more palatable than calling for Toomey's.

The angst on these boards comes in to play because Toomey is incredibly loyal to the other coaches on staff. And MVA is the newest addition and the downturn in the offense coincides with his arrival. But mind you, the downturn comes on the heels of a national title and Pat Spencer. So is MVA getting stale or underperforming? Maybe. Maybe he just doesn't have the talent he had at UVA. So the critique on the lack of development could have legs.

I just don't think a change happens unless MVA retires.

Additionally, there are also a lot of hurt feelings on this board. Are they really parents of players? Maybe. But given the history here, I'd put more money on former players who didn't measure up in MVA's eyes. Either way, take those personal critiques with a grain of salt.
Word. I’m with you on most all of this and was where I was coming from more or less originally. Challenging the lazy and comfortable approach of “let’s get after MVA but never ever question Charlie and we must have a scapegoat so easiest is the new guy”- a dumb and intellectually backwards approach.
Questioning MVA's ineffectiveness as offensive coach is not lazy, dumb or intellectually backwards. At one time MVA was a formable coach. IMO and many others, it is time to move on. MVA has struggled to develop and get the most out of his players. We can all agree the offense is inconsistent. All I see is that you call out all the critics of MVA, and not offering any insight. That is intellectually lazy.
You offer no solutions, but just carry MVAs water because you are a Geneva/central new York boy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:55 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:47 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:59 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:13 pm Ok age is an answer that at least supports it. Though I don’t know the Brundage relates to his kids any better but maybe. Once you’re in your 30s I don’t see anyone really relating well.

(Btw a Hobart person I know who’s got info insists Patterson was changed to 4 star but I don’t see it and don’t care-current FR at Bart-not to mention the stars are circular and backwards looking as many on this page have discussed historically)

Im not picking any fights I just think blaming the new guy an outsider quickly doesn’t make sense or at least isn’t very thoughtful. Someone pointed out maybe Kram that the problem is larger than one person and that’s most likely correct but folks like easy buttons I guess. Just see hysterical talk here. And trusting a parent posting while their kid is in the team is a shaky proposition hopefully you understand.

Maybe MVA is not what he was. Maybe Charlie isn’t. You ever see someone get stale 20yrs into a gig even a talented person because I have all over the place. But I think you guys all need to look a lot deeper and may be disappointed if you just swap ACs and things don’t improve.

BTW don’t know what would be different but the NCAa has refused to allow Hobart to give scholarships since they were effectively forced to move to D1 in 1995. Have appealed for same status as Hop as the only other grandfathered lacrosse school and if you know real lacrosse history you know half Hobart’s D3 schedule in the 80s was D1 teams. we’ve made kids pay full freight the whole
Time until now. I know of a few we were the #2 and it flat out came down to
Money w couldn’t offer who were 4 stars. Only now that the NIL world exists did they allow us to give scholarships. Some people like a little complain at Rutgers who doesn’t know his head from his a** likes to take baby shots as a clear non athlete draping himself in others glory but folks who care about lacrosse history typically appreciate what Hobart has had to do just to be at this level and to make occasional playoffs and everything. Else with the wind in their faces. Shared conferees w Loyola and both been in PL, I’d think there’s a lot of reasons to appreciate each others programs but I know kids and people under 30 think things like that hip hop started in 2014…”man I don’t know who all y’all are!”

https://youtu.be/XmuGBNBBu3A?si=DEDvUL5zUWm-q1Na
I played for Toomey and have a few small annoyances with some things he does and doesn't do with the program. But he has a proven method and system and type of player that he looks for and that has won him a national title at a somewhat niche school. I have not.

I can tell you the school will NOT remove Toomey because of what he has done for the college and how he runs his program. It meshes with the school's mission and vision for a Mid-sized Catholic University. He does a great job with the boys off the field. And that has value to the university. It's his job for as long as he wants it. Period.

I also understand that fans are calling for MVA's head, because it's more palatable than calling for Toomey's.

The angst on these boards comes in to play because Toomey is incredibly loyal to the other coaches on staff. And MVA is the newest addition and the downturn in the offense coincides with his arrival. But mind you, the downturn comes on the heels of a national title and Pat Spencer. So is MVA getting stale or underperforming? Maybe. Maybe he just doesn't have the talent he had at UVA. So the critique on the lack of development could have legs.

I just don't think a change happens unless MVA retires.

Additionally, there are also a lot of hurt feelings on this board. Are they really parents of players? Maybe. But given the history here, I'd put more money on former players who didn't measure up in MVA's eyes. Either way, take those personal critiques with a grain of salt.
Word. I’m with you on most all of this and was where I was coming from more or less originally. Challenging the lazy and comfortable approach of “let’s get after MVA but never ever question Charlie and we must have a scapegoat so easiest is the new guy”- a dumb and intellectually backwards approach.
Questioning MVA's ineffectiveness as offensive coach is not lazy, dumb or intellectually backwards. At one time MVA was a formable coach. IMO and many others, it is time to move on. MVA has struggled to develop and get the most out of his players. We can all agree the offense is inconsistent. All I see is that you call out all the critics of MVA, and not offering any insight. That is intellectually lazy.
You offer no solutions, but just carry MVAs water because you are a Geneva/central new York boy.
Ok Bro. You can swing around and do your thing. I trust Kram on many things related to Balt/loyola lacrosse (maybe not always on politics ;) ) so I’ve said what I said and back his comments/thoughts. It’s petty fleer you are going to:

https://youtu.be/ozl3L9fhKtE?si=I5iTq3lZE2MrAlZB

And that’s cool. Btw what’s a Geneva/central New York boy? Is that like a f**know crossed with Post Malone or something? Urbandictionary isn’t as robust as it used to be so you’ll have to explain that one to me.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Staudt still out again with the concussion. Watkinson in goal
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Binney with a nice goal to start. Good start boys
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Poitras makes it 2-0 off a quick restart. Ball movement is spinning today
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Good win. 3 quarters of dominance. A few too many turnovers and failed clears but overall it was a good win. Binney, Turner and Murphy with middie goals. Poitras a beast again. Nice game by Watkinson in goal after a tough first quarter. Big game v Navy next week
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Just what the team needed. Great to see the depth rotation and going 3 mid lines deep through the 3rd. Crazy day in the Patriot League with BU and Colgate losing to teams that the Hounds beat. Should be an interesting final 2 weeks of regular season play. It’s anyone’s for the taking.

Go Hounds!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Don't look now. 2 weeks left in the regular season and 6 teams sitting at 4-2 in league play.
Hounds with a 4 game win streak- longest in the PL.
Two tough ones remain for the Hounds- @ Navy and vs Army.
Regardless of the finish, the PL tourney is going to be a doozy. No clue who will even host it yet.
:shock:
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:36 pm Don't look now. 2 weeks left in the regular season and 6 teams sitting at 4-2 in league play.
Regardless of the finish, the PL tourney is going to be a doozy. No clue who will even host it yet.
Exactly. Team is playing much better. Seems that by playing three middie lines, the middies know that if they’re not playing well someone else is getting their play time. Little bit of competition goes a long way. Poitras, James and Minicus need to have big games. Any word on Roman and Staudt who haven’t played last two weeks?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:54 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:36 pm Don't look now. 2 weeks left in the regular season and 6 teams sitting at 4-2 in league play.
Exactly. Team is playing much better. Seems that by playing three middie lines, the middies know that if they’re not playing well someone else is getting their play time. Little bit of competition goes a long way. Poitras, James and Minicus need to have big games. Any word on Roman and Staudt who haven’t played last two weeks?
Idk if its the playing time aspect of this but i do believe that they have guys finally getting healthier. You have Dixon and Turner getting runs in with Lindsey, Binney, Kamish after not playing for the first 2/3's of the season. Haberman got reps.

The one person i just cannot figure out is Higgins with the Knee brace all over his left knee. He can't run as fast with that on so idk what the point of his minutes are for. Why not allocate some to McGorry who is finally healthier after Injuries plagued his full sophomore year, a bit of his now junior year? from what i've heard he has all the skills/tools to run in the first midfield line
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 am
Idk if its the playing time aspect of this but i do believe that they have guys finally getting healthier. You have Dixon and Turner getting runs in with Lindsey, Binney, Kamish after not playing for the first 2/3's of the season. Haberman got reps.

The one person i just cannot figure out is Higgins with the Knee brace all over his left knee. He can't run as fast with that on so idk what the point of his minutes are for. Why not allocate some to McGorry who is finally healthier after Injuries plagued his full sophomore year, a bit of his now junior year? from what i've heard he has all the skills/tools to run in the first midfield line
Agree with the McGorry thing. He's been running with Dixon and Murphy the past two games. No mistakes but he appears to be tentative. Same with Dixon, Murphy and Haberman. Almost like they are afraid to make a mistake and get benched.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:58 am
houndace1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 am

Agree with the McGorry thing. He's been running with Dixon and Murphy the past two games. No mistakes but he appears to be tentative. Same with Dixon, Murphy and Haberman. Almost like they are afraid to make a mistake and get benched.
We all dont know what exactly goes on but i do think more runs from these guys will throw different looks for opposing teams defensive coordinators. Theres not mistakes per se but i think they help the team try to hunt for the best possible shot. I think the staff sees that all these different combinations can get defenses to move/rotate/spin.

Navy defense is no slouch, neither is Army's. They're going to need every possible player to contribute even if it doesnt result in a goal or assist for their individual statline. Just get the opposing teams defense to move off kilter and that is a win in my book. Its the little things that count.

I do really wish that Carson Hall and Pacheco have a breakout game for Navy. Their FO guy is an animal and the more reps our guys get the better chance they can fare against Colletti of Army for next Friday. Another Win tomorrow goes a long way if Colgate and BU were to lose their games this weekend as well. If all the pieces fall the right way (and it starts with getting these last two wins), Loyola can host the PL tourney, or at worst be the #2 seed and avoid the Quarterfinal game. As we saw last year, 3 games in 6 days is extremely taxing
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Big one tonight at Navy. Not sure why. But picking the Greyhounds.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 pm Big one tonight at Navy. Not sure why. But picking the Greyhounds.
Huge win. Great to have Staudt back. Attack was great. Kamish had a great game and Binney with two huge goal.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:44 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 pm Big one tonight at Navy. Not sure why. But picking the Greyhounds.
Huge win. Great to have Staudt back. Attack was great. Kamish had a great game and Binney with two huge goal.
The midfield came to play! And Carson hall had a near 50% day at the faceoff against one of the better guys in the PL.

A few too many turnovers for my liking but shoutout Matt heuston for two really big goals
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Houndfan95

Post by Houndfan95 »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:52 pm
The midfield came to play! And Carson hall had a near 50% day at the faceoff against one of the better guys in the PL.

A few too many turnovers for my liking but shoutout Matt heuston for two really big goals
Huge win!

Congrats to the young men for battling

Heuston had 1 goal

Binney had two great goals

Kamish was really really good tonight. Had his guy spinning and had 1G/2A

Staudt was solid. Better at the face off dot. Defense was very sound

Attack was what we need them to be always…

Great great win!

Go Hounds
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Houndfan95 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:51 pm
houndace1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:52 pm

Huge win!

Congrats to the young men for battling

Heuston had 1 goal

Binney had two great goals

Kamish was really really good tonight. Had his guy spinning and had 1G/2A

Staudt was solid. Better at the face off dot. Defense was very sound

Attack was what we need them to be always…

Great great win!

Go Hounds
Ah yes my mistake you’re correct about heuston. 1 goal but I’m a very impressive showing where he picked up two very big GB’s in that sequence and spun past a defender off a huge face dodge. An energy packed win and the team came through.

Shoutout Dylan binney for two goals especially on his 2nd from the right wing. He shot the ball PAST the goalies left ear with the shot clock about to expire, what a tight window!

The team is playing better, the next big test is army next Friday. Should be an excellent game. I think they can do it. Need BU to lose to Lehigh today to start the process of hounds potentially locking up a 1 or 2 seed after next Friday
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Got the W, that’s what’s important. Hounds will have a chance in any game against any team if they can win around 50% at the dot. They have the talent! Enjoy seeing Halls progression this season and he’s doing a great job changing his moves or needs on every faceoff. Sometimes you just need to put the ball on the ground and muck it up.

How do they replicate the 1st quarter offense in every quarter? Strong ball movement and quick 1st steps off a dodge. Kamish and Binney looked the best they have all season. They had their legs and if this holds up it will be fun to watch.

Gotta clean up the mistakes that were made on transition defense. Game would have been a 4/5 goal win if not for Navy’s transition goals. Settled defense was strong, Toomey and Dwan are running schemes that are putting the boys in great situations to be successful.

We are really lucky to have the goalie room we do. Stout misses a couple weeks, Watkinson comes in and helps lead the Hounds to back to back wins. Stout comes back this week and plays amazing. Competition is good and it raises the level of play from others.

Missed last nights game, thank you CBS Sports! I will not miss Friday nights game at Ridley. It’s going to be electric.

Go Hounds, beat Army!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Here’s all 16 scenarios of with Fridays game implications and the tourney seedings

https://x.com/brigadereview/status/1782 ... 9KdF9KVP1Q

Bottom line hounds need to take care of business and win against army. If they lose then they’re somewhere between 2 and 6

If hounds win, with a BU win over colgate then loyola gets #1 seed

If hounds win but colgate beats BU, then Lehigh needs to win against Lafayette for hounds to still get #1 seed.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Hound93 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:41 am Got the W, that’s what’s important. Hounds will have a chance in any game against any team if they can win around 50% at the dot. They have the talent! Enjoy seeing Halls progression this season and he’s doing a great job changing his moves or needs on every faceoff. Sometimes you just need to put the ball on the ground and muck it up.

How do they replicate the 1st quarter offense in every quarter? Strong ball movement and quick 1st steps off a dodge. Kamish and Binney looked the best they have all season. They had their legs and if this holds up it will be fun to watch.

Gotta clean up the mistakes that were made on transition defense. Game would have been a 4/5 goal win if not for Navy’s transition goals. Settled defense was strong, Toomey and Dwan are running schemes that are putting the boys in great situations to be successful.

We are really lucky to have the goalie room we do. Stout misses a couple weeks, Watkinson comes in and helps lead the Hounds to back to back wins. Stout comes back this week and plays amazing. Competition is good and it raises the level of play from others.

Missed last nights game, thank you CBS Sports! I will not miss Friday nights game at Ridley. It’s going to be electric.

Go Hounds, beat Army!
I agree, Ridley will be rocking Friday Night. 3-4 weeks ago, I would say that Loyola does not have a shot at Army. Today, I am at 60% chance of winning this game.

Clean up the mistakes and play Loyola lacrosse. Weather is going to be perfect.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”