Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
mfp

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by mfp »

SkunkApe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:36 pm Boys, time to focus on Harvard. What seems to be getting lost in the defensive stats is how much improved our pole unit has been. They are playing very solid, less penalties, clearing the ball well, slide rotations on time. Very happy to see the upward trajectory of this unit.
This might be a must win game for Cornell. Some on this forum think it is a must win, but that is up for debate. The scary thing is that this is absolutely a must win for Harvard. They will play desperate. They will play as if their season is on the line—because their season is on the line. Cornell has to start strong and weather the early storm. That doesn’t mean the rest of the game won’t be a battle, but I believe it will be imperative to avoid giving Harvard too much confidence.
mfp

Post by mfp »

I typically find these game notes interesting but not otherwise very valuable in anticipating the match up. (Can you believe they are not designed for this armchair coach to devise the perfect game plan??? /s)

What do we know about Harvard? Sam King has been tearing it up and has great numbers. What’s up with the team overall? I watched 1/2 of one game and came away thinking they are better than their record indicates.
SkunkApe

Post by SkunkApe »

King is the key. With the Big Red SSDM unit struggling to find their groove, why not lock off King with Box or Gilmartin and play the poles at the corners?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

In terms of goals allowed per game, Harvard is only second to Penn in the Ivy League (and behind Penn and Princeton according to Massey's defensive rankings). Harvard's Instagram account heralds their close defense as creating long periods of shut downs of their opponent's offense. Goalie Christian Barnard has had some really strong performances this season. If the Cantabs can play a strong defensive game against the Red, they could equalize Cornell's home field advantage at Schoellkopf.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Trumansburger wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:03 pm
CHRLAX wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 pm The best part of this conversation is that #8 from UNC has both parents that are Cornell alums and athletes. So maybe this is the right place for this discussion.
Ok, I'll play. I'll take Goldstein's dad over Duffy's dad. :D
Can they both play against Harvard? :lol:
mfp

Post by mfp »

faircornell wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 pm In terms of goals allowed per game, Harvard is only second to Penn in the Ivy League (and behind Penn and Princeton according to Massey's defensive rankings). Harvard's Instagram account heralds their close defense as creating long periods of shut downs of their opponent's offense. Goalie Christian Barnard has had some really strong performances this season. If the Cantabs can play a strong defensive game against the Red, they could equalize Cornell's home field advantage at Schoellkopf.
I don't remember the details of last year's game except that Cornell seemed "off". As I recall, the offense never really got going. Credit to the Harvard defense and the entire team for playing a strong game that day. I'm sure that will give them confidence that an upset is possible again this year. On the Cornell side, hopefully there are lessons to learn from last year—and maybe a little extra drive to get revenge for last year's disappointing loss.

I'm definitely worried about Harvard's backs-against-the-wall, nothing-to-lose-and-everything-to-gain fire.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

SkunkApe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 pm King is the key. With the Big Red SSDM unit struggling to find their groove, why not lock off King with Box or Gilmartin and play the poles at the corners?
King is amazing, but Teddy Malone is also very good for the Crimson, so I'm not sure a lock off of King would be as effective as you might think. I think a key to the game (as it was in Yale's win over H) for Cornell might be Marc Psyllos at the X -- I think he could have a big day and get Cornell the edge in possessions. If Cornell has a lot of possessions, I think they'll score plenty (even though Harvard has some excellent defenders like Campisi and at times Barnard in goal has been superb). But Harvard never gives up (no surprise with a Gerry Byrne team -- clawed back from large deficits vs. Yale).
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Harvard is running out of time.
SkunkApe

Post by SkunkApe »

43 balled out today. Huge win!
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Congrats to the Big Red! 15-8 over Harvard. Now root for Princeton later today. A Princeton victory today and a Cornell victory next week over Dartmouth will give Cornell the hosting privilege for the Ivy Tourney!
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:04 pm Congrats to the Big Red! 15-8 over Harvard. Now root for Princeton later today. A Princeton victory today and a Cornell victory next week over Dartmouth will give Cornell the hosting privilege for the Ivy Tourney!
“I’m sorry, Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

7-0 at home.

Most COMPLETE game Cornell played this year.

Knust in goal was an absolute monster.
Their defense, especially #43 on King and Dooley were fantastic. Their slides and switches were spot on. Gilmartin played out of his mind.

Petrakis had an amazing game on the X, and Psyllos was his usual relentless hustle machine.

Blake and Kelleher did incredible work carrying through defenders and helping on many clears.

CJ , what can you say about this guy, forget his points, his rides and GB's and caused TO's were amazing for an attackman.

They really spread the scoring but Firth really stood out as being so dynamic with his dodging and passing.

Again, most COMPLETE game of the season as they totally dominated a very good Harvard team.

No letup, as Dartmouth is giving Brown all they can handle. They must keep that focus they had today.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

A very credible performance in a game that mattered.
A few overarching thoughts:
-The defense stayed connected, rarely overextended, and was very judicious with their shows and slides. Even with the 18 goals last week, the defense as a whole is communicating far better; again connected. Think of Harvard first 3 goals today - one off of a shortie giving too much space down the alley, another real ugly one while on an EMO no less, and the third on a missed check in traffic in front of Knust. None were the result of bad decision making.
-8 goals is not a lot to give up in today's up & down lax and with a shot clock.
-The aforementioned aside, I was not at all impressed (at least from what I saw today) with Harvard's high-powered offense. They simple couldn't win their matchups. King only won one match-up, a nice inside roll off of Singer (who otherwise was excellent) and another I think off of rotation.
Harvard did have A LOT of excellent 1st quarter looks, but fortunately for Cornell, they couldn't put their shots on cage.
-On offense, for the most part, except for a few (too) early (and out of range) shots, the ball movement and decision making was what we want to see at this point in the season. The boys can score and with Knust's shot stopping, if the D eliminates mental/decision making lapses, this team, down key injured players or not, can play with anyone.
Other:
-Nikolic looks so confident now. Whenever he's matched with a ss or gets one on a switch, he's going.
-Very active day for Dalton, one of the best games of his career.
-I like the addition of Holmes as a rotated 2nd line mid --- he serves a purpose and knows his role; he's so fast, he gets the defense rotating, though he's not pulling the trigger. Reminds me of what Licciardi's role was a 1st line mid.
-Surprised that Coach Stevens did not get Jack Parker into the game more - I only saw him once. He's been credible since added to the rotation. He played a lot more vs. ND.
-Interesting that Harvard started with a pole on Kelleher as he usually draws a ss and gets an early slide. He played another excellent game.
-Petrakis had a nice effort today off of the ground and keeping his feet. Nice to see Psyllos get more of a break today. More and more, he reminds me of UVA's great Petey Lasalla - his motor, competitiveness, and temperament on the field. He just doesn't have Lasalla's clamp skills, though he's definitely improved.
*** I'm sure the boys will travel to Hanover ready to play. In the interim, go Princeton Tigers.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

According to Lax reference right now:

Cornell #8 RPI and #1 SOS.

WOW, toughest schedule in D1 as of 446pm.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:59 pm According to Lax reference right now:

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Can't be right, not toughest schedule: too many games against egg-head Ivy teams that don't play defense! 😉
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:04 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:59 pm According to Lax reference right now:

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Can't be right, not toughest schedule: too many games against egg-head Ivy teams that don't play defense! 😉
I just report what I read, and of course having Cornell #1 SOS, obviously makes this a great algorithm.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
nms

Post by nms »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:04 pm Congrats to the Big Red! 15-8 over Harvard. Now root for Princeton later today. A Princeton victory today and a Cornell victory next week over Dartmouth will give Cornell the hosting privilege for the Ivy Tourney!
I would much rather see Penn and Yale win out and win the three way tie-break.

This might put 3 ivy schools in the RPI top 10
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Tigers 8-4 at the half.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:04 pm

Gobigred
Joewillie78
And especially,

no Notre Dame on these shcedules.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

nms wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:55 pm
I would much rather see Penn and Yale win out and win the three way tie-break.

This might put 3 ivy schools in the RPI top 10
You're too trusting of the selection committee. At this point, I want the Big Red, 7-0 at home, to host the tourney. Princeton leads Penn 9-5 in the 3rd. In any event, if Penn wins out, they hold the tiebreaker over Cornell.
Last edited by laxfan1313 on Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”