Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:01 pm
I'm not a math wizard but there is a significant difference in the US population and the Canadian population. With the US population way north of 300 million people universal health care becomes more problematic. You also have to figure in what % of that 300 million plus contribute by paying taxes. My memories of universal health care reminds me of being back in the army. There was no middle ground. It was either really good or really bad. I honestly don't remember any doctor I saw while in the service that actually cared about the patient. I believe that was because they were daydreaming about the day their military commitment was up and they could go into private practice.
Well, I wish we didn't have to even have this conversation, and to report to you that the US system works great for the working class.

It doesn't. I have no other fix than to make it free across the board, for starters. From there? Do the Health Care employees HAVE to be Government workers? Well, no.

But the State-run systems we have RIGHT NOW work fantastic: See UCLA medical. UMd, UVa, UMich, and on and on. So CLEARLY government-paid doctors CAN work fantastically.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:32 pm
I'm not a math wizard but there is a significant difference in the US population and the Canadian population. With the US population way north of 300 million people universal health care becomes more problematic. You also have to figure in what % of that 300 million plus contribute by paying taxes. My memories of universal health care reminds me of being back in the army. There was no middle ground. It was either really good or really bad. I honestly don't remember any doctor I saw while in the service that actually cared about the patient. I believe that was because they were daydreaming about the day their military commitment was up and they could go into private practice.
Well, I wish we didn't have to even have this conversation, and to report to you that the US system works great for the working class.

It doesn't. I have no other fix than to make it free across the board, for starters. From there? Do the Health Care employees HAVE to be Government workers? Well, no.

But the State-run systems we have RIGHT NOW work fantastic: See UCLA medical. UMd, UVa, UMich, and on and on. So CLEARLY government-paid doctors CAN work fantastically.
IF the VA is to the Canadian healthcare system....I think you'd find a cohort arguing we do not want that here in America. Might be completely wrong, but not many vet's fond of that (socialized) system from what I have heard; my 87 y/o father being one of them.

PS, Afan, I love how you explain things as so very simple, however, almost every post seems like you really do not like America, and love most every other country. I don't mean that is a pop shot, just an observation.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:41 pm PS, Afan, I love how you explain things as so very simple, however, almost every post seems like you really do not like America, and love most every other country. I don't mean that is a pop shot, just an observation.
That's not it at all, and you're missing what I'm telling you and your fellow Republicans.

My family, and all my peers who have multiple degrees and/or own businesses are set in America. We get the best of everything.

What I'm telling you is that we HAD the set up my family enjoys for working class Americans in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. The American dream was there, and an ordinary worker could own a home and have a nice life.

That's not the case anymore. So the question I have for your fellow Republicans is: what's YOUR idea as to how we get back to that, and have the working class return to those economic days?

...and none of you can tell me, outside of nonsense platitudes.

If you and the rest here don't care that America's working class is falling further and further behind? That's fine, conversation over, and lets maintain the status quo. I'm cool with that.

But I have to say that I have a REALLY hard time believing that you, OS, and Kram simply don't care that your families are fine, and the working class in the US is increasingly F'ed.

Tell me I'm wrong, and that you no longer care about the American working class.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:41 pm IF the VA is to the Canadian healthcare system....I think you'd find a cohort arguing we do not want that here in America. Might be completely wrong, but not many vet's fond of that (socialized) system from what I have heard; my 87 y/o father being one of them.
Easy to understand why, and REALLY easy to fix.

Who runs the VA?

Now who runs the UMich Medical System? Congress? Or freaking trained doctors? ;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:27 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:41 pm IF the VA is to the Canadian healthcare system....I think you'd find a cohort arguing we do not want that here in America. Might be completely wrong, but not many vet's fond of that (socialized) system from what I have heard; my 87 y/o father being one of them.

Who runs the VA?

Now who runs the UMich Medical System? Congress? Or freaking trained doctors? ;)
Trained Doctors under the thumb of feds that put standards in place.

Curious, who funds UMich? I do not know.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:47 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:27 pm

Who runs the VA?

Trained Doctors under the thumb of feds that put standards in place.

Curious, who funds UMich? I do not know.
Fees and taxes from Local, State and Federal. Same as every hospital in America.

....but you get it. It's 100% possible.

How about this, to simplify and localize it: Fund the Health Care Federally, and manage it at the State level? Boom, done.
a fan

Post by a fan »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:26 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:41 pm PS, Afan, I love how you explain things as so very simple, however, almost every post seems like you really do not like America, and love most every other country. I don't mean that is a pop shot, just an observation.
That's not it at all, and you're missing what I'm telling you and your fellow Republicans.

My family, and all my peers who have multiple degrees and/or own businesses are set in America. We get the best of everything.

What I'm telling you is that we HAD the set up my family enjoys for working class Americans in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. The American dream was there, and an ordinary worker could own a home and have a nice life.

That's not the case anymore. So the question I have for your fellow Republicans is: what's YOUR idea as to how we get back to that, and have the working class return to those economic days?

If you and the rest here don't care that America's working class is falling further and further behind? That's fine, conversation over, and lets maintain the status quo. I'm cool with that.

But I have to say that I have a REALLY hard time believing that you, OS, and Kram simply don't care that your families are fine, and the working class in the US is increasingly F'ed.

Tell me I'm wrong, and that you no longer care about the American working class.
...and you skipped over my reply, my man. You really don't have comments here?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:28 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:26 pm

...and you skipped over my reply, my man. You really don't have comments here?
Watching lax, and you went a bit deep.

Frankly, I don’t have the same view you do. I know far too many non college educated successful individuals and families doing just fine. I also know many college grad struggling and not very happy in life.

Maybe your POV about Americans these days is misaligned with some clouded view of perception. With your affinity of the euros and Canada, they tend to put far more investment in simplicity of life, minimalism, and keeping up with the Jones’ is more absent.

Whenever you insert politics about quality of life, frankly I tune it out. I seriously doubt any politician has ever impacted your quality of life, certainly never mine.

Minimalism is where it’s at, it is also good for our health.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:32 pm

It was not uncommon during my time in the ,82nd that truly sick and injured soldiers would blow off sick call when it meant having to go Womack Army Hospital to be evaluated. The place had a notorious reputation among soldiers familiar with the place.Our platoon medic wound up being our go to guy. He never complained because he understood what the deal was. My point is universal type healthcare looks very attractive on the outside. Once you were on the inside all of the warts and defects became very obvious. If you were looking for compassionate and efficient medical care you were better off sticking with your medic. Hurry up and wait had a entire new meaning at Womack. That was a long time and I hope by now the atmosphere at that isn't what it was when I was there.

FTR in the name of full disclosure I now go to the brand new VA Outpatient Facility near my house. They have a plaque when you walk in the front door stating that their mission is to care for all who have served. It may make a difference that the doctors and nurses are not Army. They are civilians. This is the type of medical care our veterans deserve. Most of the vets that you see there cover the spectrum of WW2, Korea, Vietnam and the Iraq and Afghanistan. Most of us wear a baseball cap with our unit on it. Starting a conversation is easy and always enlightening. These folks normally won't go into great detail about their experience. I guess when your talking to another vet who can relate the conversations come much easier.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

youthathletics wrote: I seriously doubt any politician has ever impacted your quality of life, certainly never mine.
Just with regard to New Deal Legislation:

Own a home- look at the terms for home mortgages in the 1920's. Check out the required down payments, duration of loans and interest rates and you'll see how widespread homeownership was made possible.

Invested in the Stock Market in one form or another? Pretty much invested blind before the SEC, unless you were J.P. Morgan who placed his people on various corporate boards.

Post New Deal- Interstate Highway Act, Federal Investments in education and Medicine.

I'd say the politicians who voted for the above impacted the life of almost every American.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:55 pm
Watching lax, and you went a bit deep.

Frankly, I don’t have the same view you do. I know far too many non college educated successful individuals and families doing just fine. I also know many college grad struggling and not very happy in life.
You live in one of the richest parts of the world, my man. And all that wealth revolves around Federal money, and getting a piece of it. Pretty easy to argue that your success is about the .gov. And you contract, like Kram does, yeah?
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:55 pm Maybe your POV about Americans these days is misaligned with some clouded view of perception. With your affinity of the euros and Canada, they tend to put far more investment in simplicity of life, minimalism, and keeping up with the Jones’ is more absent.
I have an affinity for the OUTCOMES in Canada and the EU, YA. That's all, and nothing more.

It's why I keep asking you what the Republican plan is, because I'd prefer more conservative solutions if they exist. And you STILL can't tell me.

What this tells me is that you and OS ARE THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. In other words, you both want the .gov to maintain status quo, and to not rock the boat that has served you well. So that's what your Republican leaders do: keep the party going. Just like you asked them.

And this is fine, of course. I just thought you chaps were concerned for the falling and failing working class (and I can point to dozens of numbers that show you they are failing)......I was wrong. You don't care. And again, that's fine. Everyone has priorities in life....pretty sure I fall short in your eyes in other areas. Part of life.

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:55 pm Whenever you insert politics about quality of life, frankly I tune it out. I seriously doubt any politician has ever impacted your quality of life, certainly never mine.
"A politician" hasn't, you're right.

But government has had a profound impact on my life, because of course it does. Just one example, and ? They passed a bill putting spirits taxation on somewhat even footing with wine and beer. Result? We pay high six figures less in taxes every year. When it passed? Every full time employee got a fat 20% (and in some cases, more) raise instantly. Life changer for them, too, obviously....who gets a 1/4 raise because of something the .gov does?

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:55 pm Minimalism is where it’s at, it is also good for our health.
The working class isn't getting "the minimum", YA. That's the point, actually. Take care of their education/vocational training and health care, and let them take care of the rest. THAT Is minimalism.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Today (Friday 4/20) the UAW announced that the UAW has won the unionization vote in the Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga. A 4300 worker plant. This is the first time since 1940s that an auto plant in the south has been unionized via a worker vote. The Vance Alabama Mercedes plant is scheduled to vote to join the UAW in mid-May. Volkswagen is just the first. The 4 US Tesla factories are also on the UAW list.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:02 am Today (Friday 4/20) the UAW announced that the UAW has won the unionization vote in the Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga. A 4300 worker plant. This is the first time since 1940s that an auto plant in the south has been unionized via a worker vote. The Vance Alabama Mercedes plant is scheduled to vote to join the UAW in mid-May. Volkswagen is just the first. The 4 US Tesla factories are also on the UAW list.
what is the affiliation with progressive ideology?
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:55 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:02 am Today (Friday 4/20) the UAW announced that the UAW has won the unionization vote in the Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga. A 4300 worker plant. This is the first time since 1940s that an auto plant in the south has been unionized via a worker vote. The Vance Alabama Mercedes plant is scheduled to vote to join the UAW in mid-May. Volkswagen is just the first. The 4 US Tesla factories are also on the UAW list.
Is that a serious question?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... :lol: :lol: You are kidding right.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:59 am
I think he is saying that the union these workers are now members of tends to be tenacious supporters of progressive democrats. I spent 5 years as a dues paying member of our local Teamsters Local 118 and they couldn't have been more useless when it came to their union members. I wish these new union members the best of luck. Does this mean the average price of a VW is going to decrease? :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:43 pm
I think he is saying that the union these workers are now members of tends to be tenacious supporters of progressive democrats. I spent 5 years as a dues paying member of our local Teamsters Local 118 and they couldn't have been more useless when it came to their union members. I wish these new union members the best of luck. Does this mean the average price of a VW is going to decrease? :D
I suppose….I still don’t follow the ‘progressive’ connection.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:15 pm
Worker's Unions= Progressive.

Using every tool in the tool box to dismantle them, and to force Americans to compete with the global labor market (NAFTA, etc): Conservative
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:02 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:15 pm
Worker's Unions= Progressive.

Using every tool in the tool box to dismantle them, and to force Americans to compete with the global labor market (NAFTA, etc): Conservative
Thanks, but still weird….I’ve never associated blue collar workers unions with progressive ideology.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”