Coaches On The Hot Seat 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Coaches On The Hot Seat 2024

Post by DocBarrister »

Regarding Hofstra, Hobart, and St. Bonnies … are they all fully funded with respect to scholarships?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dutch are.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Ketch wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:41 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 pm
oldbartman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:56 pm I'm sure there's a major financial consideration to consider but hard to think Raymond isn't on a major hot seat. Hobart has taken some major steps backwards and look overwhelmed in the A-10.
I was waiting to see if someone other than a Hobart fan would write something. Don't disagree with it either......
I think Raymond has done a pretty good job recruiting O wise, I like a lot the Sec 3 kids he brought in and most have had significant success. I also enjoy the guys over on the Hobart thread, lot of knowledgeable guys who understand the game. That said the wins just aren't there and when one of the highlights of the year is only losing by six to a disinterested SU team playing on a frozen field, it's time to consider moving on.
Hey, we really only lost by five… But I feel like this staff has already reached its ceiling, sad to say. Is a fresh impulse needed?
Looking from the outside I think it is. Hobart to me has a ton of untapped potential and I believe you guys are phasing in a full set of scholarships which should be a nice boost. Great location on Seneca lake in the heart of wine country and perfect for recruiting most of NY and Canada. Lack of graduate programs is a bit of an issue, school could help more in that aspect. Could see Hobart becoming a destination for lower level or D2 and D3 grad guys looking to switch things up their Senior year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:56 pm I'm sure there's a major financial consideration to consider but hard to think Raymond isn't on a major hot seat. Hobart has taken some major steps backwards and look overwhelmed in the A-10.
I was waiting to see if someone other than a Hobart fan would write something. Don't disagree with it either......
I think Raymond has done a pretty good job recruiting O wise, I like a lot the Sec 3 kids he brought in and most have had significant success. I also enjoy the guys over on the Hobart thread, lot of knowledgeable guys who understand the game. That said the wins just aren't there and when one of the highlights of the year is only losing by six to a disinterested SU team playing on a frozen field, it's time to consider moving on.
Yes it’s part of a larger question of whether the college will ever hold anyone accountable. They should’ve recently fired this lady Jodi Dean but instead just relieved her of teaching duties but still on the payroll (unlike Dan McGowan on the same side as her)
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:59 pm
Hey, we really only lost by five… But I feel like this staff has already reached its ceiling, sad to say. Is a fresh impulse needed?
Looking from the outside I think it is. Hobart to me has a ton of untapped potential and I believe you guys are phasing in a full set of scholarships which should be a nice boost. Great location on Seneca lake in the heart of wine country and perfect for recruiting most of NY and Canada. Lack of graduate programs is a bit of an issue, school could help more in that aspect. Could see Hobart becoming a destination for lower level or D2 and D3 grad guys looking to switch things up their Senior year.
If you watch lowville one day your going to
Have to explain Chad Bach who has D1 football skill positions athleticism but never put it together. I’m familiar with NFL level athletes first hand. Bach should’ve accidentally run gunnel into 20 pts by Jr year. Instead he just alley dishes and oases to gle.
See Martin, Malcolm
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

It is difficult for me to understand why Hobart doesn’t already have a full set of lacrosse scholarships. They should have had a full set of scholarships back in 1995.

Hobart has a great legacy in lacrosse. The school should be going all in for the sport.

As for Coach Raymond, every Hopkins lax fan roots for his success.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:33 pm

It is difficult for me to understand why Hobart doesn’t already have a full set of lacrosse scholarships. They should have had a full set of scholarships back in 1995.

Hobart has a great legacy in lacrosse. The school should be going all in for the sport.

DocBarrister
NCAA said no in 95 and in a handful of appeals saying if you didn’t pick that rack in 1980, when the system still allowed intradivional plays. So when they cut that off starting in 94 they lend it backs up to Bart. It’s
Wildly petty and irrational and petty. It’s a little hard to even say they moved up
In 95 if you look at their schedules prior it was half D1 many years they played the min number of D3 opponents required to be playoff eligible in D3.

At least four formal attempts and you should know but if not
Trust me when I Say that those aren’t cheap. No bill discounts with each loss and my understanding is those bills don’t get to a stock but a couple hundred hens for each wasted effort and rejections. F**k the NCAA.
See Martin, Malcolm
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

DocBarrister
Doc

The NCAA was so graceful as to allow us some athletic scholarships for the '24 season, 3 to be exact. We have 6 for the '25 season, 9 for the '26 season and FINALLY the full 12.6 for the 27 season. Essentially, we've been fighting since '95 with 2 hands tied behind our backs. Hopefully we will be able to attract some higher level recruits so we are on equal footing. You know, like Rutgers for the past 2 decades., right 1766?? (the poster who NO ONE likes).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Cue the little boy lobbing some lame turd at Hobart as if that’s ruining OBM or my days. We don’t live and die by what some kids are doing on a field that we have a very close regional with.
See Martin, Malcolm
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 pm JL Reppert inherited a really crummy situation up at Holy Cross, but things don't look improved at all. He's been through a ton with his wife's medical situation, too. But being one of the worst D1 teams can't go on for too long up there.
As a follower of the Patriot League, Bucknell has been pretty underwhelming the last few years as well.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

LIfan92 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:51 pm
LadiesLaxFan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:08 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:42 pm
keno in reno wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:34 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:24 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:20 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 pm My hottest take would be Nick Myers - big time athletic program, has done next to nothing there.
That's not really a hot take. The issue is after their playoff appearance in 2022, they gave him an extension through the 2027 season. Probably shouldn't have done that, but they did. I doubt they eat the full three years remaining on that contract. They have a new AD so you never know but he also has bigger fish to fry than lacrosse. If in June 2026 it's been more of the same no one's going to be surprised if they eat the final year and move on. But not sure about before then.
I’m admittedly not tuned into the osu fan base, but haven’t heard anyone calling for his head, which I would’ve for several years now if I had played there or was a fan… that’s all aside from stories ive heard about his conduct towards high schools kids who flip commitments.

Understand contractual obligations muddy things, but that 5 year extension is wild imo.
Might as well be JV Tennis. Nobody cares at OSU. And Myers got the facility built so he obviously knows some money players. Indifference will keep him there for a while.
https://twitter.com/OSU_AD/status/1779654260294058237
The outgoing OSU athletic director was at the game last night. He had other places he could've been, like at the Masters with Jack watching Buckeye Neal Shipley.

I'll let you decide whether Tierney has met the Danowski standard at Hofstra which feels like it should be better than it's been.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstra_P ... s_lacrosse

There's a nifty graphic there you can play around with to see who has and hasn't made the tournament lately.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Divi ... tournament
I was just talking with a friend about the new Team USA coaches. I understand bringing Acacia Walker on as head coach of the women. She has done a great job with Boston College. The big head-scratcher is how the hell did Seth Tierney get the men's top job. What has he done to deserve this? There a lot of better coaches who deserved this. Just goes to show you how much the "Tierney" name helps.
Few things about Hofstra, team USA and Seth.

Seth has been apart of team USA for years now and the CEO of USA lacrosse is a Hofstra Lacrosse alum. Seth is well respected and a great coach, tough spot at Hofstra and maybe he was getting distracted with PLL and USA and didn’t focus on Hofstra as much.

Hofstra has seemed to perform worse as he got more involved in USA and PLL. Not many people will realize that though.

The players love him (I’m an alum). Obviously there will be guys who don’t like him but that’s with any coach.

He gets kids to graduate, helps them find jobs, and keeps them out of Trouble.

Hofstra as a lot of donors and a lot of big donors. Would not be surprised if the lacrosse team gets more donations than most other lacrosse teams in the country.

Finally, the school certainly cares about lacrosse, probably one of the few sports the do care about outside of basketball. Looking at the website the assistant AD is a Hofstra lax alum. They want to win.

Alumni are getting frustrated and will want Seth to step down or for him to step away from PLL and USA, to bring back Hofstra to the 2000-2017 years where they were consistently ranked and at least competing in their down years. Now their down years are DOWN.
No agenda here and know little about the program so just curious. Hofstra is obviously smack in a huge hotbed. As you say, the school cares a lot about lacrosse and, I’ll take your word on this as I know nothing about it, they have lots of donors and big donors. They have, I believe, a full 12.6 of the schollies (correct me if wrong). Yet you wrote that Tierney was in a “tough spot” at Hofstra. What did you mean by that? All of the features would seem to be in place to make it an almost ideal spot. What is the challenge? Facilities? Conference? School rep? Lack of real top level winning tradition? Interested to hear from someone who knows.
LIfan92

Post by LIfan92 »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:41 pm
LIfan92 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:51 pm
LadiesLaxFan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:08 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:42 pm
keno in reno wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:34 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:24 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:20 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 pm My hottest take would be Nick Myers - big time athletic program, has done next to nothing there.
That's not really a hot take. The issue is after their playoff appearance in 2022, they gave him an extension through the 2027 season. Probably shouldn't have done that, but they did. I doubt they eat the full three years remaining on that contract. They have a new AD so you never know but he also has bigger fish to fry than lacrosse. If in June 2026 it's been more of the same no one's going to be surprised if they eat the final year and move on. But not sure about before then.
I’m admittedly not tuned into the osu fan base, but haven’t heard anyone calling for his head, which I would’ve for several years now if I had played there or was a fan… that’s all aside from stories ive heard about his conduct towards high schools kids who flip commitments.

Understand contractual obligations muddy things, but that 5 year extension is wild imo.
Might as well be JV Tennis. Nobody cares at OSU. And Myers got the facility built so he obviously knows some money players. Indifference will keep him there for a while.
https://twitter.com/OSU_AD/status/1779654260294058237
The outgoing OSU athletic director was at the game last night. He had other places he could've been, like at the Masters with Jack watching Buckeye Neal Shipley.

I'll let you decide whether Tierney has met the Danowski standard at Hofstra which feels like it should be better than it's been.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstra_P ... s_lacrosse

There's a nifty graphic there you can play around with to see who has and hasn't made the tournament lately.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Divi ... tournament
I was just talking with a friend about the new Team USA coaches. I understand bringing Acacia Walker on as head coach of the women. She has done a great job with Boston College. The big head-scratcher is how the hell did Seth Tierney get the men's top job. What has he done to deserve this? There a lot of better coaches who deserved this. Just goes to show you how much the "Tierney" name helps.
Few things about Hofstra, team USA and Seth.

Seth has been apart of team USA for years now and the CEO of USA lacrosse is a Hofstra Lacrosse alum. Seth is well respected and a great coach, tough spot at Hofstra and maybe he was getting distracted with PLL and USA and didn’t focus on Hofstra as much.

Hofstra has seemed to perform worse as he got more involved in USA and PLL. Not many people will realize that though.

The players love him (I’m an alum). Obviously there will be guys who don’t like him but that’s with any coach.

He gets kids to graduate, helps them find jobs, and keeps them out of Trouble.

Hofstra as a lot of donors and a lot of big donors. Would not be surprised if the lacrosse team gets more donations than most other lacrosse teams in the country.

Finally, the school certainly cares about lacrosse, probably one of the few sports the do care about outside of basketball. Looking at the website the assistant AD is a Hofstra lax alum. They want to win.

Alumni are getting frustrated and will want Seth to step down or for him to step away from PLL and USA, to bring back Hofstra to the 2000-2017 years where they were consistently ranked and at least competing in their down years. Now their down years are DOWN.
No agenda here and know little about the program so just curious. Hofstra is obviously smack in a huge hotbed. As you say, the school cares a lot about lacrosse and, I’ll take your word on this as I know nothing about it, they have lots of donors and big donors. They have, I believe, a full 12.6 of the schollies (correct me if wrong). Yet you wrote that Tierney was in a “tough spot” at Hofstra. What did you mean by that? All of the features would seem to be in place to make it an almost ideal spot. What is the challenge? Facilities? Conference? School rep? Lack of real top level winning tradition? Interested to hear from someone who knows.
So I think he’s in a a tough spot because the school is as expensive as an Ivy League school but not the same academic level. Then for whatever reason Long islanders like to leave LI for college more than say someone from Maryland. Think how Towson, Loyola, Maryland all have a ton of Maryland kids but Hofstra doesn’t have nearly the equivalent long islanders.

Also yes Hofstra is fully funded. It is a solid academic school with lots of connections to NYC and most kids that want a good job on the team are able to get one if they care.

Trust me I wish more long islanders wanted to go there. Especially the top players. Long Island would really get behind a team that would contend for final 4 appearances. It would be a great atmosphere.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Abr2016 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:14 am
Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 pm JL Reppert inherited a really crummy situation up at Holy Cross, but things don't look improved at all. He's been through a ton with his wife's medical situation, too. But being one of the worst D1 teams can't go on for too long up there.
As a follower of the Patriot League, Bucknell has been pretty underwhelming the last few years as well.
Feds is a great guy and a good coach but it’s gotten stale for many reasons. He’s had his eye on being back in CNY for personal reasons for a number of years.
See Martin, Malcolm
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

If Holy Cross defeats LeMoyne in their final contest, they will finish with at least three wins. That is two more than in each of the previous two years. Of course, one of the wins was against MAAC-leading Sacred Heart. And, the truth is, while losses are losses, they have been more competitive in Patriot League play.
Up Country

Post by Up Country »

Hobart's Greg Raymond? They haven't been ranked sense Matt Kerwick was coach and that was under D3 rules. Just curious what people think.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Up Country wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:14 pm Hobart's Greg Raymond? They haven't been ranked sense Matt Kerwick was coach and that was under D3 rules. Just curious what people think.
Well
That’s not true they were ranked at least for a few eeek in 2009 under TW and for a few weeks between 2019-2030z. I think also at some point in 2017 as well.

But yeah he gots to go and it’s fairly well discussed in the Hobart thread.
See Martin, Malcolm
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:20 pm

DocBarrister
Doc

The NCAA was so graceful as to allow us some athletic scholarships for the '24 season, 3 to be exact. We have 6 for the '25 season, 9 for the '26 season and FINALLY the full 12.6 for the 27 season. Essentially, we've been fighting since '95 with 2 hands tied behind our backs. Hopefully we will be able to attract some higher level recruits so we are on equal footing. You know, like Rutgers for the past 2 decades., right 1766?? (the poster who NO ONE likes).
Ok … so, I know the NCAA does some irrational stuff, but why are they limiting Hobart’s scholarships?

Someone explain that to me, please.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:56 pm
oldbartman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:20 pm

DocBarrister
Doc

Ok … so, I know the NCAA does some irrational stuff, but why are they limiting Hobart’s scholarships?

Someone explain that to me, please.

DocBarrister
The NC$$ wanted to make sure Hobart didn't try to use the DI athletic scholarships to sneak in D 1 quality players for our other athletic teams, which are all D 3. Prior to finally being approved for athletic related aid we had the occasional lacrosse player who played another sport, usually football. I'm not completely sure if it was the NC$$ or the Hobart admin that decided to do the gradual phase in of the scholarships. Either way, it is still hindering our ability to recruit higher quality players. As I mentioned, we won't have the full 12.6 scholarships till the '27 season. It will take a few years after that to get the balance of players we want to have. As to the naysayers who keep sayin we can't make it at this level, I would like to see how they would fair without athletic scholarships. I seriously doubt many would have much success at all.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Abr2016 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:14 am
Yeah and I love Feds. He may have lost focus the last number of years with life stuff. But it seems like BU and Richmond may have taken a bite out of them like it did from Bart who has a nice little rivalry in the PL years.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”