PENN STATE 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
New2lax

Re: PENN STATE 2019

Post by New2lax »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:00 am
10stone5 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 am
faircornell wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:10 pm This game could have a significant bearing on the Tewaaraton selection. It provides the winner with/ two more games to shine, and provides a "head to head" comparison that the lacrosse media seem to love.
That award was decided this past weekend. Spencer brought his team to a W over Syracuse, while all PSU had to do was (unfortunately) just show up versus UMBC. UMBC played their wing FO unit as poorly as any High School team you will ever see, with zero change in strategy as the game progressed. I have never seen two wing poles stand right on top of each other leaving no doubt who was going to win the FO when the ball popped out (and that's not counting the clean wins by Arceri).

In any event, just like Yale, when PSU loses the FO battle, or is drawn to a stalemate, they lose (meaning the rest of the team isn't as wonderful as advertised). But, FO's are (still) part of the sport, so here we are. Win FO's against Arceri, and really good teams will beat PSU.
Terrible analysis, PB.
I mean, horrible.

The player of the year, they’re purposely waiting for this game. It could well be that Spencer has it all but locked up, but still, this game will factor in.

You could say the same about any team, lose at the face off, and you’re just another team. Well, no kidding, Arceri isn’t Ierlan.

Loyola has their work cut out for them.

If Stover plays as well as he can play, and Loyola’s defense can at least hold par, the Hounds have a good shot.

I’m guessing Tambroni has already conceded his team really can’t stop Spencer, so he’ll key on the other players, Lindley and Scanlon most especially.

The real problem for the Hounds, and other teams have had the same problem, is depth. State goes two deep easy at midfield. No way the Hounds match that.

And also, who do the Hounds have on defense who can match up well with Ament and O’Keefe ?
I don’t see anybody.

I don't think that's true for many teams (some teams have defenses that hold up well even when not winning FO's), but for PSU, they MUST get their FO's because that defense is suspect...

So far as the Hounds' defense, they can keep Ament and O'Keefe in check (to the extent that perhaps 2 goals a piece is keeping someone in check). But you're correct, PSU runs deeper than just those two guys. Shut off the top two, you still have problems defending this team. What's clear is almost no one has slowed them down this year with perhaps the exception of Yale.

This will again be a game where Loyola is not expected to win and likely won't. Loyola likes to run and gun, which is probably not the optimal way to play PSU (which can probably run and gun better than anyone, and likes to)). I'd think a much more methodical offense (more like Yale's) will be the type to beat PSU.

If Bailey goes for north of 50%, I'd give this game to Loyola.
I think the best thing Loyola has going for them is there is no pressure. Their goal is to win of course, but they really want to have another week together so I think that will drive them to give it all they have. #7moredays
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

New2lax wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:09 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:00 am
10stone5 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 am
faircornell wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:10 pm This game could have a significant bearing on the Tewaaraton selection. It provides the winner with/ two more games to shine, and provides a "head to head" comparison that the lacrosse media seem to love.
That award was decided this past weekend. Spencer brought his team to a W over Syracuse, while all PSU had to do was (unfortunately) just show up versus UMBC. UMBC played their wing FO unit as poorly as any High School team you will ever see, with zero change in strategy as the game progressed. I have never seen two wing poles stand right on top of each other leaving no doubt who was going to win the FO when the ball popped out (and that's not counting the clean wins by Arceri).

In any event, just like Yale, when PSU loses the FO battle, or is drawn to a stalemate, they lose (meaning the rest of the team isn't as wonderful as advertised). But, FO's are (still) part of the sport, so here we are. Win FO's against Arceri, and really good teams will beat PSU.
Terrible analysis, PB.
I mean, horrible.

The player of the year, they’re purposely waiting for this game. It could well be that Spencer has it all but locked up, but still, this game will factor in.

You could say the same about any team, lose at the face off, and you’re just another team. Well, no kidding, Arceri isn’t Ierlan.

Loyola has their work cut out for them.

If Stover plays as well as he can play, and Loyola’s defense can at least hold par, the Hounds have a good shot.

I’m guessing Tambroni has already conceded his team really can’t stop Spencer, so he’ll key on the other players, Lindley and Scanlon most especially.

The real problem for the Hounds, and other teams have had the same problem, is depth. State goes two deep easy at midfield. No way the Hounds match that.

And also, who do the Hounds have on defense who can match up well with Ament and O’Keefe ?
I don’t see anybody.
I don't think that's true for many teams (some teams have defenses that hold up well even when not winning FO's), but for PSU, they MUST get their FO's because that defense is suspect...

So far as the Hounds' defense, they can keep Ament and O'Keefe in check (to the extent that perhaps 2 goals a piece is keeping someone in check). But you're correct, PSU runs deeper than just those two guys. Shut off the top two, you still have problems defending this team. What's clear is almost no one has slowed them down this year with perhaps the exception of Yale.

This will again be a game where Loyola is not expected to win and likely won't. Loyola likes to run and gun, which is probably not the optimal way to play PSU (which can probably run and gun better than anyone, and likes to)). I'd think a much more methodical offense (more like Yale's) will be the type to beat PSU.

If Bailey goes for north of 50%, I'd give this game to Loyola.
I think the best thing Loyola has going for them is there is no pressure. Their goal is to win of course, but they really want to have another week together so I think that will drive them to give it all they have. #7moredays
Thing is, its the wins as the old Laxpower guys would say.
When was there last a one loss team at this point in the tournament ?
That would be 2012, the one loss Greyhounds.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:26 pm Thing is, its the wins as the old Laxpower guys would say.
If Penn State loses, it's probably going to be to a team it's already played. They won't be in awe of Penn State's ability to score. A team like Penn or Yale probably presents more of a challenge than any other team on the other side of the bracket because Penn and Yale have FOGOs that can compete with Arceri. Penn probably has an offense that is more adept to handle Penn State's defense (more size, can initiate from the attack or midfield). And then you need to hope Penn State has an off game with turnovers. Can't imagine UVA, Duke, or Maryland being able to hold up on defense against Penn State.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Actually, the 2014 Greyhounds also only had one loss going into the tournie :oops:
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I believe the eventual National Champion will come from this side of the bracket. Had the feeling that PSU was going to be really good this year. PSU is a juggernaut. What an incredible offense. It just clicks and keeps the defense fresh. And lots of depth. I can't see any weaknesses on this team.

Gonna be a fun game to watch - high scoring. Goalies should be worn out by the end :D
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Just personal observation. The Tewarton winner is usually from a Monday finalist team. I think this weekend game will go a long way to determining who wins. Sower of Princeton didn't get any playoff exposure, Even with the last minute heroics last weekend Bernhardt has had a solid but not stellar season, has been non existent in some games. TD Lerlan will be facing some tough competition the next 2 games will not be as dominant as last weekend.

So I think its between Ament and Spencer
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Wheels wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:40 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:26 pm Thing is, its the wins as the old Laxpower guys would say.
If Penn State loses, it's probably going to be to a team it's already played. They won't be in awe of Penn State's ability to score. A team like Penn or Yale probably presents more of a challenge than any other team on the other side of the bracket because Penn and Yale have FOGOs that can compete with Arceri. Penn probably has an offense that is more adept to handle Penn State's defense (more size, can initiate from the attack or midfield). And then you need to hope Penn State has an off game with turnovers. Can't imagine UVA, Duke, or Maryland being able to hold up on defense against Penn State.

I strongly agree with this post.

Arceri and the Penn FOGO were about even when they played earlier this year, but Ierlan crushed Arceri when Yale played, 25 and 6. I just think that if Yale gets Penn State in the semi's, I think Yale will win by even more next time. For Penn, as long as Gallagher goes 50% versus Arceri, I think Penn also will beat PSU (Penn and Yale are the top two teams, and Yale only because of Ierlan; UVA would be in that top 2 if their FOGO was marginally better).

For my Hounds, as much as I love my man Savio, his #'s are in that next larger tier of FOGO's, behind these three of Ierlan, Gallagher, and Arceri. With Loyola, it's all well and good to have a great offense, but you have to see the ball for the offense to click. Our defense is fine, but a full 60 minutes of defense can wear any defense down. If Toomey can keep the legs fresh here (how, I have zero idea, because too many substitutions ruins teamwork on slides), we have a chance, however slight. If Savio splits with Arceri, we will be fine. Less than that, we are in trouble.

(palaxoff: Spencer locked the Tewey up last weekend, unless Ament somehow goes off for 10 goals per game the next three games)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:30 am
Wheels wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:40 pm
I strongly agree with this post.

Arceri and the Penn FOGO were about even when they played earlier this year, but Ierlan crushed Arceri when Yale played, 25 and 6. I just think that if Yale gets Penn State in the semi's, I think Yale will win by even more next time. For Penn, as long as Gallagher goes 50% versus Arceri, I think Penn also will beat PSU (Penn and Yale are the top two teams, and Yale only because of Ierlan; UVA would be in that top 2 if their FOGO was marginally better).

For my Hounds, as much as I love my man Savio, his #'s are in that next larger tier of FOGO's, behind these three of Ierlan, Gallagher, and Arceri. With Loyola, it's all well and good to have a great offense, but you have to see the ball for the offense to click. Our defense is fine, but a full 60 minutes of defense can wear any defense down. If Toomey can keep the legs fresh here (how, I have zero idea, because too many substitutions ruins teamwork on slides), we have a chance, however slight. If Savio splits with Arceri, we will be fine. Less than that, we are in trouble.

(palaxoff: Spencer locked the Tewey up last weekend, unless Ament somehow goes off for 10 goals per game the next three games)
What makes you think that ?
Arceri couldn’t buy a face off and State still had several chances to tie Yale at the end.
The Player of the Year is still undecided.
The voters want to see what happens in this game specifically.
Its an open competition this year, as opposed to last year where nobody was going to beat out Ben Reeves, well, except perhaps Justin Guterding.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

(palaxoff: Spencer locked the Tewey up last weekend, unless Ament somehow goes off for 10 goals per game the next three games
Ament is averaging about 7 points a game, 20 to 25 points is not unrealistic for 3 games. Both players are amazing with different styles and team mates.

My point is they don't do the final vote till after the finals on Monday, it usually goes to the guy with the National Championship or someone who has had a truly amazing season like Lyle Thompson. Since Ament and Spencer are both so critical to their team I'd say the deciding factor would be who goes further.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Not to try and jinx Penn State.
But no Pennsylvania school has won (or been voted) National Champion since Lehigh did it in 1921 :!: :!:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I don’t know about the NC, but PSU has the advantage on paper in just about every category tomorrow. I think PSU has more talent and wins comfortably.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Find myself thinking the same thing tho stover might keep then in the game. PSU has so many weapons
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Congrats to Penn State.
Final Four :!: :!:

Congrats also to some old time alum.
Steve Kranzley, Randy Voight, Glenn Thiel, Gary Martin, Walt Beuchele, Austin Kaut, Chris Hogan, the Forster brothers, JJ Elmer, Jordan Weiss.

Finally :!: :!:
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun May 19, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Awfully good looking team, congrats.
Are these the first post season games PSU has won?
Didn't hear Team QuAC mention anything about that
(not more than a hundred times or so anyway).
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Any team that lets Mac O'keefe even catch the ball does so at their own hazard. If he can catch it, he can shoot it. Don't let him catch it!

What team has an athletic yet physical enough defenseman to make Ament's life a little more difficult? Maybe Fake on Yale? Maybe?

Of course, it won't matter if you're not winning face-offs.

Is there any team out there that can even give Penn State a run at this point?
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:55 pm What team has an athletic yet physical enough defenseman to make Ament's life a little more difficult? Maybe Fake on Yale?
That’s funny. Ament destroyed him when they played last.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

thetruth wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:00 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:55 pm What team has an athletic yet physical enough defenseman to make Ament's life a little more difficult? Maybe Fake on Yale?
I know but Yale won. The point being that you need someone who can get physical with him and try to match his feet just to disrupt things. Ament's also a competitive guy. He can get chippy when teams get physical with him. You saw it a bit in the Maryland game in the 4th quarter. Sabia would be a great match up against him. The intra-squad scrimmages must be pretty good!
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Pat Spencer wins Tewie this year and Ament wins in 2020 when PSU hoes undefeated and wins NCAAT again. They are loaded and bring everyone if consequence back.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:55 pm Any team that lets Mac O'keefe even catch the ball does so at their own hazard. If he can catch it, he can shoot it. Don't let him catch it!
What team has an athletic yet physical enough defenseman to make Ament's life a little more difficult? Maybe Fake on Yale? Maybe?
Of course, it won't matter if you're not winning face-offs.
Is there any team out there that can even give Penn State a run at this point?
State is playing with house money now.
The pressure was, make a Final Four, finally.

Now, Tambroni can just let the players have some fun.
Let ‘em loose.
See what happens.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:04 pm
thetruth wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:00 pm
I know but Yale won. The point being that you need someone who can get physical with him and try to match his feet just to disrupt things. Ament's also a competitive guy. He can get chippy when teams get physical with him. You saw it a bit in the Maryland game in the 4th quarter. Sabia would be a great match up against him. The intra-squad scrimmages must be pretty good!
Yale doesn’t have a defenseman who would start for Duke. So I’d look to Duke before Yale for a defenseman that could grind at PSU.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”