World Soccer

General Chatter
Matnum PI

Re: World Soccer

Post by Matnum PI »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:46 am ... City was the better team in terms of chances created and time of possession. Just didn't get it done.
Agreed and kind of disappointed. Prefer having the better team moving on. But such is life...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Well, the Toffees will surely savor this win
at Goodison Park. A long awaited win against the Reds and one that surely eliminates them from the title.
Liverpool is just out of juice. Arsenal got their big win over Chelsea yesterday, but they’re going need City to falter for any chance. They were in the drivers seat until their terrible loss to Villa. Going to be an interesting finish for the title and other positions too.

https://www.google.com/gasearch?q=evert ... 8Arsk,st:0
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 pm Well, the Toffees will surely savor this win
at Goodison Park. A long awaited win against the Reds and one that surely eliminates them from the title.
Liverpool is just out of juice. Arsenal got their big win over Chelsea yesterday, but they’re going need City to falter for any chance. They were in the drivers seat until their terrible loss to Villa. Going to be an interesting finish for the title and other positions too.
Yes, big win for Everton, bitterly disappointing loss for Liverpool. The Reds' home loss to Crystal Palace indicated that something was amiss with Liverpool, and the Merseyside Derby loss confirmed it.

Haaland will miss Man City's next game due to injury. City will hope he is match-fit sooner rather than later.

On Sunday the North London Derby on the High Road Tottenham will impact Arsenal's title chances.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:58 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 pm Well, the Toffees will surely savor this win
Yes, big win for Everton, bitterly disappointing loss for Liverpool. The Reds' home loss to Crystal Palace indicated that something was amiss with Liverpool, and the Merseyside Derby loss confirmed it.

Haaland will miss Man City's next game due to injury. City will hope he is match-fit sooner rather than later.

On Sunday the North London Derby on the High Road Tottenham will impact Arsenal's title chances.
Watched all of the game at Goodison, and then yesterday watched City routinely dismantle Brighton. City just has more left in the tank; even where they are injured, they are not playing a kid from the academy, but are "substituting" a well-known, battle scarred veteran of international football. Haaland is out; well, let's play a young guy who scored in the World Cup final....Let's give John Stones and Ruben Diaz a rest, and play Akanji, Ake and Gvardial in the back....

I really wanted Liverpool to remain relevant to the title race right to the very last day, but it looks like it wasn't/isn't to be.
ardilla secreta

Spurs 2 Arsenal 3
Some tough beaks for Spurs, but a boneheaded play by the GK Raya and a reckless foul by Rice made it a nervously close game.
ardilla secreta

Preston North End 0 Leicester City 3
Leicester City Foxes Champions of the Championship with one game remaining.
James Vardy gets two of the goals in win. Get to raise the cup at home next Saturday vs Blackburn
Leeds and Ispwich Town in battle for the 2nd automatic promotion spot
Southampton ad Norwich City clinch playoff spot
West Bromwich and Hull will battle for last playoff spot
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:11 pm Spurs 2 Arsenal 3
Some tough beaks for Spurs, but a boneheaded play by the GK Raya and a reckless foul by Rice made it a nervously close game.
AS, did you think officials should have allowed a PK on Trossard's trip of Spurs No. 21? I'll tell you I did; clipped him, however unintentionally, on the leg and took him to ground, in the box, ball rolling a few feet in front of him. I'm a Spurs fan and have been trying to convince myself I am being "objective." Just an enormous call in the big picture of the title race and playing in Europe.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:55 pm
AS, did you think officials should have allowed a PK on Trossard's trip of Spurs No. 21? I'll tell you I did; clipped him, however unintentionally, on the leg and took him to ground, in the box, ball rolling a few feet in front of him. I'm a Spurs fan and have been trying to convince myself I am being "objective." Just an enormous call in the big picture of the title race and playing in Europe.
Personally, I thought that maybe-trip on Tottsnham's #21 was pretty close to a 50/50 case. Speaking more broadly, I think that another day, or with another referee or another VAR team, it could well have resulted in a penalfy kick. I continue to believe that England's use use of VAR is doing more harm (6-minute delays in a sport enhanced by continuous action, inconsistent decisons, etc) than good.

So, Arsenal and Manchester are still in a tight title race. Man City have been here before and taken the prize. Raya's abject error that gifted Spurs their first goal and a lifeline suggests that the Gunners might not be ready to take the trophy. Yet, Arsenal won. The race is still on.
ardilla secreta

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:55 pm
It was probably a 50/50 call. Ref Michael Oliver was right on it and his mindset in such a big game was to play on unless there was a serious foul like the one on Rice. My beef with world football are the tricky tack fouls given inside the box. The game is so much faster now. They need to adjust to the times.

So, what are the thoughts on Chelsea-Spurs this Thursday? Both are two games behind the rest of the league. Tough to make up games late in the season.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:21 pm Preston North End 0 Leicester City 3
Leicester City Foxes Champions of the Championship with one game remaining.
James Vardy gets two of the goals in win. Get to raise the cup at home next Saturday vs Blackburn
Leeds and Ispwich Town in battle for the 2nd automatic promotion spot
Southampton ad Norwich City clinch playoff spot
West Bromwich and Hull will battle for last playoff spot
Jamie Vardy, an important player in the Foxes' shock 2016 EPL title comes good again for Leicester City. Over the years, this club has bobbed up and down between England's top two tiers, but I hope the Foxes stay a while this time.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”