World Soccer

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Re: World Soccer

Post by ardilla secreta »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:30 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 pm So, for the four of us, who do you have in the Gunner-City match Sunday at City? This is apparently the first time in 10 years that only one point separates the top three after 28 games, with Liverpool (playing Brighton at Anfield on Sunday) second.
Ummm, I think Liverpool will beat Brighton. Xabi Alonso is re-upping at Leverkusen, complicating Liverpool's search for Klopp's replacement. I'll say 2-2 final score tomorrow when Arse visit Man City.
As I write this, Brighton have taken a quick 1-0 lead and have pretty admirable history at Anfield. I still expect Liverpool to get a win.

City have a great home record, but this is not a normal year and they’ll be without Walker and Stones at the back. If they can keep composure, then I think this is the year Arsenal get their win. Still plenty of big games for all three to get through.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yep, the Liverpool game started much like the Tottenham game yesterday, with the underdog visitors scoring an early surprise goal. I think Liverpool will find a way to win. Quite an amazing title race!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

There are people who say that soccer is boring, that there isn't enough scoring. So it's a shame that yesterday's Man City v Arsenal game was shown live on NBC, because it was boring, without any scoring. Well, truth be told, I can say only that the first half was boring, because I didn't bother watching the second half. Liverpool are never boring like that, and I hope the title goes to Liverpool.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:12 am There are people who say that soccer is boring, that there isn't enough scoring. So it's a shame that yesterday's Man City v Arsenal game was shown live on NBC, because it was boring, without any scoring. Well, truth be told, I can say only that the first half was boring, because I didn't bother watching the second half. Liverpool are never boring like that, and I hope the title goes to Liverpool.
Yes, I find myself essentially pulling for Liverpool to take the title in Klopp's swan song year.

Maybe NBC should have shown the Newcastle-West Ham game. Seven goals, and Newcastle coming back from 3-1 down and riddled with injuries.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Anyone watch the Chelsea-MUFC game yesterday. Freezing rain here in NH, so I stayed home, pretended to work and watched this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9bNt4V-M7o
ardilla secreta

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:12 am There are people who say that soccer is boring, that there isn't enough scoring. So it's a shame that yesterday's Man City v Arsenal game was shown live on NBC, because it was boring, without any scoring. Well, truth be told, I can say only that the first half was boring, because I didn't bother watching the second half. Liverpool are never boring like that, and I hope the title goes to Liverpool.
I was really disappointed Arsenal played not to lose. They had a chance to grasp the title and played it safe unless they’re convinced Liverpool are going to lose again.
ardilla secreta

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:44 am Anyone watch the Chelsea-MUFC game yesterday. Freezing rain here in NH, so I stayed home, pretended to work and watched this game.

Pretty crazy finish. Man U looked pretty slick in taking the lead at the 67”, but nobody expected Chelsea to bag two goal so late into injury time. Ten Hag can now start planning his permanent vacation.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:45 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:44 am Anyone watch the Chelsea-MUFC game yesterday. Freezing rain here in NH, so I stayed home, pretended to work and watched this game.

Pretty crazy finish. Man U looked pretty slick in taking the lead at the 67”, but nobody expected Chelsea to bag two goal so late into injury time. Ten Hag can now start planning his permanent vacation.
Yeah, I cannot see Ten Hag surviving this season.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Round 1 today on CBS

European media reports that there have been threats of terrorism so that security will be enhanced for today's matches. Dunno if real or imagined.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

There are people who say that soccer is boring, that there isn't enough scoring.

In MLB a perfect game, or a no hitter, or a shoutout is considered a good thing. Not enough scoring? No big deal, actually.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:28 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:45 pm

Yeah, I cannot see Ten Hag surviving this season.
Well, last weekend Arsenal got what they hoped for - a Man U draw with Liverpool. Liverpool were fortunate to get the draw as for the 2nd consecutive game, Man U gave up a horrible foul in the penalty area for a successful PK.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

What a weekend at the top of the Premier League. City holds serve, Liverpool loses to Palace and Arsenal loses to Villa. I really thought this was Arsenal's year, but now....six games to go:

City remaining PL matches (City has Real Madrid this Wednesday, and Chelsea in the FA Cup semis Saturday):

Brighton
Forest
Wolves
Fulham
Spurs
West Ham

Arsenal remaining PL matches (Bayern Wednesday):

Wolves
Chelsea
Spurs
Bournemouth
Man United
Everton

Liverpool remaining matches:

Fulham
Everton
West Ham
Tottenham
Villa
Wolves

Who wins? Who gets relegated?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 am What a weekend at the top of the Premier League. City holds serve, Liverpool loses to Palace and Arsenal loses to Villa. I really thought this was Arsenal's year, but now....six games to go:

City remaining PL matches (City has Real Madrid this Wednesday, and Chelsea in the FA Cup semis Saturday):

Brighton
Forest
Wolves
Fulham
Spurs
West Ham

Arsenal remaining PL matches (Bayern Wednesday):

Wolves
Chelsea
Spurs
Bournemouth
Man United
Everton

Liverpool remaining matches:

Fulham
Everton
West Ham
Tottenham
Villa
Wolves

Who wins? Who gets relegated?
It's not just that Liverpool and Arse lost, but they lost at home.... and in Liverpool's case, lost at home to a team that was 14th in the table. The title is now Man City's to win, but it's far from over.
Burnley and Sheffield United are all but relegated. The third team down looks like a three-team race for the bottom between Luton, Nottingham Forest and Everton, with many hoping that the Toffees (Everton) will go down.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Champions League...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 am Champions League...
I'd like to see Barca put the dagger in the Parisians. Sort of agnostic about the Athletico-Dortmund game, but I love watching Griezmann play, so A-M I guess.

The remaining EPL teams risk elimination tomorrow.

And all of this in the middle of my so-called workday....
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Atletico, Barca today. Happy with either tomorrow. 4 great teams.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Perhaps the cruelest thing for Harry Kane would be Bayern making it to the Final and losing 2-nil.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:42 pm
Perhaps the cruelest thing for Harry Kane would be Bayern making it to the Final and losing 2-nil.
And that is not a crazy or remote scenario right now, although I am doubtful Bayern gets past RM. But I doubted Bayern would get past Arsenal, or hold Arsenal to a single goal over two games....
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Haaland is the perfect center forward for the English game, but Pep doesn't want City to play like an English team. No high crosses into the box for Haaland, no long punts upfield by the goalie for Haaland to chase. Instead, they try to play like a Spanish team against a La Liga team that faces Spanish opposition every week. No more Champions League this year for Man City.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:26 am
Haaland is the perfect center forward for the English game, but Pep doesn't want City to play like an English team. No high crosses into the box for Haaland, no long punts upfield by the goalie for Haaland to chase. Instead, they try to play like a Spanish team against a La Liga team that faces Spanish opposition every week. No more Champions League this year for Man City.
Had the same thought yesterday at halftime, and thought a move to get Haaland out and Alvarez onto the pitch might have helped earlier. And what you say is true; but City was the better team in terms of chances created and time of possession. Just didn't get it done.

So....

Bayern v. Real Madrid?

Dortmund v. PSG?

I confess I kind of chortle at the fact that Sancho and Sabitzer, refugees from Man United, are starting and playing in the Champions League semifinals.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”