Commonwealth Coast

D3 Mens Lacrosse
2laxers

Re: Commonwealth Coast

Post by 2laxers »

WNE picked to win CCC, but Endicott right behind them.

https://cccathletics.com/sports/mlax/20 ... 23MLAXPoll
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Endicott 15 MIT 13. Nice win for Endicott
Olddawg83

Post by Olddawg83 »

WNE looks to be having a rough year and Endicott got routed by what was thought to be a weak Springfield team. An interesting game to look out for is the upcoming WNE Roger Williams matchup could be a trap game for the Gbears as it’s sandwiched between Saint Lawrence and Amherst.
Olddawg83

Post by Olddawg83 »

DadofTwins wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:15 pm Endicott looks to have a strong freshman class. They should again the be the top team in the conference.
Endicott got out worked, out played, and out coached for the second year in a row in the championship game. 36 goals allowed in the last 2 ccc championship games.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Olddawg83 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:23 am
DadofTwins wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:15 pm Endicott looks to have a strong freshman class. They should again the be the top team in the conference.
Endicott got out worked, out played, and out coached for the second year in a row in the championship game. 36 goals allowed in the last 2 ccc championship games.
Pretty shocking after the whooping endicott gave them in reg season. But klepacki always has the boys lookin strong by this time of year. I think they have a legit chance at beating Union
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Also wne 7-3 vs endicott in CCC chips over the past 10 years. It’s a one team conference here
Olddawg83

Post by Olddawg83 »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:40 am Also wne 7-3 vs endicott in CCC chips over the past 10 years. It’s a one team conference here
* one of endicott’s a 3 wins was the micky mouse championship in 2021 where there was only conference play
islander41

Post by islander41 »

Olddawg83 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:19 pm
Bigdawg69 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:40 am Also wne 7-3 vs endicott in CCC chips over the past 10 years. It’s a one team conference here
* one of endicott’s a 3 wins was the micky mouse championship in 2021 where there was only conference play
Not sure what you mean by "micky mouse championship" ... Endicott and WNE both played a full conference schedule, last time I checked it's called a CONFERENCE Championship. Out of conference games are supposed to prepare you for conference play, that's it. A pathetic 4 goal performance (tied for LEAST in CCC ship history) from your Golden Bears in a meaningful game is embarrassing under any circumstances. With that being said, Endicott has fallen apart in the big game since then, we will see if Coach Hagarty can pull it together in the post season this year
Jimboi3596

Post by Jimboi3596 »

I agree with you that in the 2021 championship game WNE fell apart, gotta give credit to EC for their gameplan that year. But that was their first championship game win since 2017! And they couldn’t even compete in the NCAA tournament that year after too many players coming down with COVID after celebrating the win. To me, giving up 18 goals against in back to back championship games is worse than scoring 4 goals in one championship game at the end of a non-traditional season.

After watching both of these teams recently against out of conference opponents its clear that WNE is miles ahead of EC. With beating Lynchburg in the NCAA tournament in 2022 and a year ago taking Union down to the wire with a 2 goal loss in a game they should have won. And most recently against Keene St, WNE up 14-3 at half and rotating starters out in the 3rd. EC was losing at one point and didn’t pull away until the 3rd quarter.

WNE has dominated the CCC the last 5 seasons and it doesn’t look like they’re gonna slow down this season returning a handful of graduate seniors. Look for WNE to win the conference once again this year and to make a splash against out of conference opponents Don’t be surprised if they steal one from St.Lawrence on Sunday this weekend. Goodluck to all teams this season!
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

Jimboi3596 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:07 am I agree with you that in the 2021 championship game WNE fell apart, gotta give credit to EC for their gameplan that year. But that was their first championship game win since 2017! And they couldn’t even compete in the NCAA tournament that year after too many players coming down with COVID after celebrating the win. To me, giving up 18 goals against in back to back championship games is worse than scoring 4 goals in one championship game at the end of a non-traditional season.

After watching both of these teams recently against out of conference opponents its clear that WNE is miles ahead of EC. With beating Lynchburg in the NCAA tournament in 2022 and a year ago taking Union down to the wire with a 2 goal loss in a game they should have won. And most recently against Keene St, WNE up 14-3 at half and rotating starters out in the 3rd. EC was losing at one point and didn’t pull away until the 3rd quarter.

WNE has dominated the CCC the last 5 seasons and it doesn’t look like they’re gonna slow down this season returning a handful of graduate seniors. Look for WNE to win the conference once again this year and to make a splash against out of conference opponents Don’t be surprised if they steal one from St.Lawrence on Sunday this weekend. Goodluck to all teams this season!
I watched both teams play Keene as well.
WNE looks way ahead of Endicott, to start.
But we know everything goes out the window when they play - which is what makes it a great conference rivalry.

It does feel like they're due for one against St. Lawrence.
The last time they won was 2015, and have had a few tight games with them since.
But they have not played in North Country since 2008 - and that game in February may favor the home team.
Hope I am wrong and they do pull this one off
islander41

Post by islander41 »

SaltCounty wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:24 am
Jimboi3596 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:07 am I agree with you that in the 2021 championship game WNE fell apart, gotta give credit to EC for their gameplan that year. But that was their first championship game win since 2017! And they couldn’t even compete in the NCAA tournament that year after too many players coming down with COVID after celebrating the win. To me, giving up 18 goals against in back to back championship games is worse than scoring 4 goals in one championship game at the end of a non-traditional season.

I watched both teams play Keene as well.
WNE looks way ahead of Endicott, to start.
But we know everything goes out the window when they play - which is what makes it a great conference rivalry.

It does feel like they're due for one against St. Lawrence.
The last time they won was 2015, and have had a few tight games with them since.
But they have not played in North Country since 2008 - and that game in February may favor the home team.
Hope I am wrong and they do pull this one off
Jimboi3596, giving up 18 in back-to-back championship games is arguably worse. I know EC alumni were hoping the gulls would use the '21 momentum and are extremely disappointed with the postseason product has been since. Ultimately, I think it boils down to coaching and as long as Klepacki is at the helm, WNE will have an advantage. Looks and feels like it will be similar type seasons for the gulls/golden bears as we've seen in the past.

I think SLU is overrated, landing a spot in Top 20 consistently solely based on the conference they play in with meaningful wins every once and a while to keep them relevant. Wouldn't be surprised if it's close and WNE comes away with a win.
Jimboi3596

Post by Jimboi3596 »

Agreed, it all comes down to how you perform in the big game and anything goes in those games. I think it is one of the best rivalries in all of D3 lacrosse given the history between the two programs. Two programs that have both been ranked top 20-25 teams in the past with a lot of pride. Knowing both teams want to return to that status I give WNE the edge for the time being.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

I'm pretty sure both teams were ranked in the top 10 at one point..maybe even top 5..2003-2015 seemed to be the peak for both squads....WNE wasn't even in the CCC until I think 2007....but had some great teams in the early 2000's
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

Nichols w/ an OT win at the Buzzer against CGA
That is a big win for that program & Coach Lynch
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Good win for Nichols.

But this conference never changes. WNE - EC - everyone else. And really nobody else even challenges for a champ game experience anymore. RWU has gotten close once or twice. Gordon has been irrelevant since Macintosh transferred. NEC got kicked out. UNE started to turn the corner and now has dropped out of the top any conversation. It's really sad that these other programs can't catch up. Need a few to step up!
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

I said this on another thread but it's relevant here as well....

Keep an eye on the University of Hartford to make a quick run to the upper tier of the CCC.

Will they compete with the big two anytime soon.....no, I think that's asking a lot.

Could they end up in the 3-4 conversation a lot sooner than people would expect? Yes. I would not be shocked to see them making a push to the CCC semifinals in the next 2-3 years.
Olddawg83

Post by Olddawg83 »

Endicott should not be as average as they have been since Quirks departure from the helm. Hegarty is as mediocre of a coach as they come.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

CCC play is wrapping up and the picture is becoming clearer.

All signs point to another WNE @ Endicott final
Endicott has had a very good year... beating Springfield by a lot, upsetting Bowdoin, getting the March win v. WNE
WNE has had ups & downs, but that's been the case the last few seasons & they've gotten up for May.
There is just as much a chance Endicott gets back over the hump, as there is a repeat of what we saw out of the Gbears in '12-'13-'14
Like every year - if its WNE & Endicott in the final, it's the better team that day.

Biggest surprise IMO - Nichols.
Coach Lynch has done a great job.
They could finish has high as #2 if they can miraculously win out and top the Gbears!

Biggest let down (again) - UNE.
At one point, they were 1-2 goals away from a CCC Semifinal win & Championship appearance
An 8-1 loss to a new-look Hartford is really concerning

Question is... is there potential for Coach Gould and the Hawks to make a run...
They are 11-4, and despite a bad Q3, played Endicott tight.
Historically, RWU gives Endicott trouble in the Semi's.
Could a rematch sneak up on the Gulls?
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Endicott has had a very good year... beating Springfield by a lot, upsetting Bowdoin, getting the March win v. WNE
WNE has had ups & downs, but that's been the case the last few seasons & they've gotten up for May.
There is just as much a chance Endicott gets back over the hump, as there is a repeat of what we saw out of the Gbears in '12-'13-'14
Like every year - if its WNE & Endicott in the final, it's the better team that day.

They could finish has high as #2 if they can miraculously win out and top the Gbears!

At one point, they were 1-2 goals away from a CCC Semifinal win & Championship appearance

Question is... is there potential for Coach Gould and the Hawks to make a run...
Good synopsis. Both Gould and Lynch have their respective programs going in the right direction, do they continue to climb? In terms of EC, if Hagarty, one of the great Gull alums that was handpicked by Quirk is not the guy, then who is? I sit more than just coaching at EC that has slowed them down? UNE has been on a downward spiral since '13, Burch was a legendary HS HC in Maine, but what is he missing at the college level? Hartford, they will be a solid CCC team in the future, this was a solid addition.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

sguy9 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:56 am

Good synopsis. Both Gould and Lynch have their respective programs going in the right direction, do they continue to climb? In terms of EC, if Hagarty, one of the great Gull alums that was handpicked by Quirk is not the guy, then who is? I sit more than just coaching at EC that has slowed them down? UNE has been on a downward spiral since '13, Burch was a legendary HS HC in Maine, but what is he missing at the college level? Hartford, they will be a solid CCC team in the future, this was a solid addition.
For Nichols, the only direction to go is up... So long as they can keep Coach Lynch.
Is there still a rumor they plan to exit & go D2?

For RWU, I think Gould can make them the strongest they've ever been with his deep ties to the South Shore (IE. Duxbury, Marshfield, etc.)
Seems like some of RWU's best players were already coming from there; he can only help continue to grow that.

I think the adding of smaller D1s (IE. Lowell, LIU...) and the increased support in D2 (IE. STA, Bentley...) has affected the level of WNE & Endicott
Same with a number of schools that at one point were very talented / strong (IE. Springfield, Keene, Eastern CT...)
This EC team is good... but not comparable to most teams between 2008 and 2015.

UNE had a very good team / several 1st Team CCC players in 2016 and 2017.
2018 was really the beginning of the downfall.

Hartford was a solid addition - I think of them right alongside Nichols as a bright spot for the league this year.
Noticed they also took Wentworth to 4OT... so a goal away from a W that would have gotten them a lot of attention within the league.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”