Re: Northwestern Wildcats

Post by DMac »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:46 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:58 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:44 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:03 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:05 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:53 pm
Lax101 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:49 pm I was being very sarcastic. Sorry - thought it was obvious. These players could do nothing vs BC so they launch 10 plus shots including BTB's galore against a far inferior team to get there season stats back on track. BTW - there is no way that NW makes Final Four weekend this year.

Piece of advice for you, stay out of the prediction business. Being so cocksure about a team's place in May based on a game in February is not a good look. Haha

"BTW - there is no way that NW makes Final Four weekend this year." - Lax101

WAY! :)
Glad they made it to Memorial Day weekend. We’d have missed that remarkable coaching misadventure if they didn’t.

Nice one Shecky! :P :lol: You're pulling out your "Tonight Show" material because something came along that will let you forget 2012. Love it for now, but they'll be back. HAHA
Nope, not a 2012 thing at all. The NU staff bungled this. Take, as only one or two cases in point, these:

No adjustment of the defense to handle Giersbach at any time in the course of her five goal escapade -- nothing.

Girardi gets hunted down -- easily because she is completely gassed -- by Hillman to the sideline, and then with Wurzburger coming from behind to make the check. Ball goes back into the UNC offensive zone and...Girardi is still on the field, playing defense, and playing defense one-on-one with Giersbach, who takes her to the cage and scores.

Not a choke; a coaching fail.
And no time out.
And coach gets coaching award a few days later . Yikes.

Really? What EXACTLY was the name of the award and what was it given to her for? I'm giving you a chance so that you don't come off like ONW.
Both Tewarraton and Tewaaraton Legend winners aren't flawless either though, they make mistakes and don't win every game, make every right decision, or score every crucial goal....see CN NC game and KAH NC game (Sc makes good points). :D
Bart

Post by Bart »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:49 pm I was being very sarcastic. Sorry - thought it was obvious. These players could do nothing vs BC so they launch 10 plus shots including BTB's galore against a far inferior team to get there season stats back on track. BTW - there is no way that NW makes Final Four weekend this year.

Piece of advice for you, stay out of the prediction business. Being so cocksure about a team's place in May based on a game in February is not a good look. Haha

Glad they made it to Memorial Day weekend. We’d have missed that remarkable coaching misadventure if they didn’t.

Nice one Shecky! :P :lol: You're pulling out your "Tonight Show" material because something came along that will let you forget 2012. Love it for now, but they'll be back. HAHA
Nope, not a 2012 thing at all. The NU staff bungled this. Take, as only one or two cases in point, these:

No adjustment of the defense to handle Giersbach at any time in the course of her five goal escapade -- nothing.

Girardi gets hunted down -- easily because she is completely gassed -- by Hillman to the sideline, and then with Wurzburger coming from behind to make the check. Ball goes back into the UNC offensive zone and...Girardi is still on the field, playing defense, and playing defense one-on-one with Giersbach, who takes her to the cage and scores.

And no time out.
From the first sentence of the announcement:

"The Tewaaraton Legends Award annually honors recipients who played college lacrosse prior to 2001, the first year in which the Tewaaraton Award was presented."

Here is another blurb from the announcement:

“Kelly was such a remarkable player for me at the University of Maryland,” said Navy head coach Cindy Timchal, who won eight national titles as the head coach at Maryland and is the NCAA’s all-time leader in career wins for DI women’s lacrosse. “Because of her, the team was able to win national championships and start a string of success at Maryland that has not been matched. She is truly a legend and it is so amazing that she is being recognized this year as a Tewaaraton Legend. I am so happy for her.”

Does not seem to me to be a coaching award but honoring outstanding players prior to 2001. It did mention her coaching but the award is for her playing days. At least that is the way I read it.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:35 am

And no time out.

"The Tewaaraton Legends Award annually honors recipients who played college lacrosse prior to 2001, the first year in which the Tewaaraton Award was presented."

“Kelly was such a remarkable player for me at the University of Maryland,” said Navy head coach Cindy Timchal, who won eight national titles as the head coach at Maryland and is the NCAA’s all-time leader in career wins for DI women’s lacrosse. “Because of her, the team was able to win national championships and start a string of success at Maryland that has not been matched. She is truly a legend and it is so amazing that she is being recognized this year as a Tewaaraton Legend. I am so happy for her.”

Does not seem to me to be a coaching award but honoring outstanding players prior to 2001. It did mention her coaching but the award is for her playing days. At least that is the way I read it.
Plus this at the very end of the article posted by Seacoaster (thank you for that btw):

“Tewaaraton Legend recipients are chosen on the basis that their collegiate performance would have earned them a Tewaaraton Trophy, had the award existed when they played.”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Tewaaraton Legends Award just took a hit as far as I'm concerned.
No Gary Gait (I just assumed he had been presented with the award already)????
Aint nobody on that list more worthy than he is.....nobody.

Tewaaraton Legend Award Recipients
Year Men's Winner School Women's Winner School
2011 Jim Brown Syracuse - -
2012 Eamon McEneaney Cornell - -
2013 Joe Cowan Johns Hopkins - -
2014 Jimmy Lewis Navy - -
2015 Brad Kotz Syracuse - -
2016 Frank Urso Maryland Candace Finn Rocha Penn State
2017 Peter Cramblet Army Cherie Greer Brown Virginia
2018 Larry Quinn Johns Hopkins Amanda Moore O'Leary Temple
2019 Tom Sears North Carolina Kare Emas Borbee Delaware
2020 No Awards due to COVID 19 - - -
2021 No Awards due to COVID 19 - - -
2022 Dave Pietramala Johns Hopkins Kelly Amonte Hiller Maryland
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:35 am

And no time out.

You are correct, FanLax breath!
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:46 am

And no time out.

Really? What EXACTLY was the name of the award and what was it given to her for? I'm giving you a chance so that you don't come off like ONW.
First of all do not ever compare me to ONW. I have kids that have played, I have coached. And I actually know about lacrosse. The award was to honor players who played before Tewaaraton - however her past coach, the presenter at Tewarraton, and Kelly herself spoke about coaching. So yes a player award that touched on a lot about her coaching. And most in that audience prob only know her as a coach. And her last game was a week prior and she got out-coached. At least in the last quarter ;)
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

It's easy to call the semi final game a choke but I don't think there are many people out there that thought that NU would play UNC to a one goal game. There probably are some coaching decisions they'd change given the opportunity but NU playing UNC to a 1 goal game in the semis? That took an excellent game strategy and excellent preparation. Coming off of the loses to Maryland and Rutgers to obliterate Syracuse- total coaching win.

Also, why is there a constant implication that Kelly is a bad coach? She has won 7 championships, coached a team to the last 3 final fours, routinely takes kids on no-one's radars and turns them into All America caliber players. Even if you don't like her, the woman can coach. You don't go to 3 final fours in a row if you can't.

I would also say that UNC's win was less to do with Levy's coaching in the 4th quarter and more due to Geiersbach's won't quit attitude.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

hsllax wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:59 pm It's easy to call the semi final game a choke but I don't think there are many people out there that thought that NU would play UNC to a one goal game. There probably are some coaching decisions they'd change given the opportunity but NU playing UNC to a 1 goal game in the semis? That took an excellent game strategy and excellent preparation. Coming off of the loses to Maryland and Rutgers to obliterate Syracuse- total coaching win.

Also, why is there a constant implication that Kelly is a bad coach? She has won 7 championships, coached a team to the last 3 final fours, routinely takes kids on no-one's radars and turns them into All America caliber players. Even if you don't like her, the woman can coach. You don't go to 3 final fours in a row if you can't.

I would also say that UNC's win was less to do with Levy's coaching in the 4th quarter and more due to Geiersbach's won't quit attitude.
I mostly say this stuff in order to poke Larry in the ribs, and, like a masochist, to revive the pain of the 2012 final for me.

She's a good coach. I think she's overrated -- that's right, an anonymous, yokel who knows a little about the game thinks she's overrated. So I think the appropriate response should be "who gives a sh*t what that Seacoaster thinks." I think there are at least a good handful of better coaches in the game, and Division 3 has two of them.

She and Scott absolutely blew the fourth quarter of this very important game. That's a fact, and all one needs to do is watch it again. Watching it, knowing what is about to happen, is just staggering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS-T-QybiO4
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

LaxFan500 wrote : "First of all do not ever compare me to ONW. I have kids that have played, I have coached. And I actually know about lacrosse. The award was to honor players who played before Tewaaraton - however her past coach, the presenter at Tewarraton, and Kelly herself spoke about coaching. So yes a player award that touched on a lot about her coaching."

Apologies for the ONW quip. The award was really about her as a player more so than her Coaching. She was an outstanding player and IMO, the best all-around player to ever play at College Park. I'm sure that TL and JAP would want to argue about that, but I'll stand my ground.
Kelly is a GREAT Coach. 7 NCs in 20 years is damn impressive. What's even better is that she helped establish Youth Lacrosse and more HS programs in the Midwest. She definitely helped to grow the game and that's always a good thing.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

hsllax wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:59 pm It's easy to call the semi final game a choke but I don't think there are many people out there that thought that NU would play UNC to a one goal game. There probably are some coaching decisions they'd change given the opportunity but NU playing UNC to a 1 goal game in the semis? That took an excellent game strategy and excellent preparation. Coming off of the loses to Maryland and Rutgers to obliterate Syracuse- total coaching win.

I think she’s a good coach but relies too much on offensive firepower and 1-2 kids to carry the load and less about defensive strategies. I think she def had a bad coaching moment in last quarter . No time out when needed. As far as SG is concerned after the 3rd goal maybe throw a FG on her . But do something .
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Don’t forget deciding to putting Aldave in on the draw was game changing too. Geiersbach doesn’t get at least 2 or 3 of her 5 goals without it.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:37 pm

I mostly say this stuff in order to poke Larry in the ribs, and, like a masochist, to revive the pain of the 2012 final for me.

She's a good coach. I think she's overrated -- that's right, an anonymous, yokel who knows a little about the game thinks she's overrated. So I think the appropriate response should be "who gives a sh*t what that Seacoaster thinks." I think there are at least a good handful of better coaches in the game, and Division 3 has two of them.

She and Scott absolutely blew the fourth quarter of this very important game. That's a fact, and all one needs to do is watch it again. Watching it, knowing what is about to happen, is just staggering.

Of course I disagree with you about Kelly. It's absurd. That's your opinion and I have to respect it, but I don't have to agree with it.
I cannot and will not argue with you about this year's Final Four debacle...because I can't. However poor the end of that game was, it cannot erase the KAH coaching legacy.

PM me the list of "good handful of better coaches in the game, D3 has two of them". I'm curious as to whom you're thinking of.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:12 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:37 pm

Of course I disagree with you about Kelly. It's absurd. That's your opinion and I have to respect it, but I don't have to agree with it.
I cannot and will not argue with you about this year's Final Four debacle...because I can't. However poor the end of that game was, it cannot erase the KAH coaching legacy.

PM me the list of "good handful of better coaches in the game, D3 has two of them". I'm curious as to whom you're thinking of.
Done.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

No one can boast the backdrop this storied program does on the shore of Lake Michigan.

OuttaNowhereWregget

The goals scored breakdown from NU's 19-10 win over Ohio State Saturday:
Amonte, Dylan (6); Taylor, Madison (5); Coykendall, Erin (2); Scane, Izzy (2); Schumar, Mary (1); Smith, Samantha (1); Frank, Lindsey (1); Bohlig, Emerson (1)

Obviously, Scane couldn't care less about breaking any scoring records. She may not even care about another Tewaaraton. She wants another national title above all.

Interesting to note--Notre Dame, should they meet Northwestern in the NCAA's, has absolutely NO chance of surprising them again. Nor does any other team. The only team that will beat Northwestern the rest of the way is Northwestern.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:06 pm Interesting to note--Notre Dame, should they meet Northwestern in the NCAA's, has absolutely NO chance of surprising them again. Nor does any other team. The only team that will beat Northwestern the rest of the way is Northwestern.
What's making me feel good about this team is that they seem to understand when they need to SHOW UP. When the pressure it on--the games immediately following each of their losses, their 1 vs 2 game against Maryland--they perform. If they need to meet the moment, they are all locked in. I'm not sure what other team can handle the pressure of big moments the way that NU can. (Maryland certainly doesn't seem to be able to.)
njbill

Post by njbill »

Based on quick search, Scane has 349 goals in 77 games. North had 358 in 87 games.
OuttaNowhereWregget

No Hailey Rhatigan jackpot from the Transfer Portal mix this year...

Not so far, anyway...

The two pickups have been largely unimpressive. Certainly stacked up against Hailey Rhatigan, who finished last year with 62 goals and 73 points in 18 games. Maybe I got spoiled.

We'll see what they do in the postseason...
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Pre-game media w/ Kelly and team

https://youtu.be/Gb7EhYzVwW8?si=LKKG5ehBDfvBqn7D
OuttaNowhereWregget

Pre Big 10 tournament presser

I liked Taylor's answer when asked if it felt like the target was bigger on the teams back this year. (I edited her remarks, but this is essentially what she said.)

I like to play without worrying about that. I feel like if you get sucked into that it could make you overthink how you play so I'm just focusing on having fun, playing with my teammates, especially with all of them leaving next year--enjoying it while I can.

And this gem, which a lot of folks on these benighted boards could greatly benefit from learning:

"It's just a game at the end of the day." 

Hopkins just came off a big upset of Michigan. (Another ill-informed and ill-formed question from a member of the "filthy press" as Deep Purple's Ian Gillian referred to them).

That wasn't a big upset. Sorry. Hop had Michigan beat at Homewood days previous and let them get away. It nearly happened again but this last time Hop finished. Obviously these question askers don't follow the sport.

Izzy's (comical) first remark: "Oh boy, lotsa cameras."

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”