BOOKS

General Chatter
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: BOOKS

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Working my way through My Life With The Pros by Bud Collins. Entertaining read. Burst out loud funny at certain points. Has a real way with and love affair with words and relating memories.
molo

Post by molo »

After “The Trees” I just needed some more Everett. Started “So Much Blue” tonight with “James” on deck.
molo

Post by molo »

Now reading part 2 of “James.” If “Moby Dick” is not the great American novel, then I’ll defer to Hemingway, who said “Huckleberry Finn” is the touch stone. Everett relates the events of HF from the standpoint of Jim. I was initially hesitant about a reworking of a masterpiece, but this one is captivating.
High school English teachers don’t teach HF frequently anymore because of a racial epithet in a story of a boy who chooses hell instead of sells out a friend. As usual, Everett deals with race, the single most complicated domestic issue in American history, with precision and complexity.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Recommend “Horse” by Geraldine Brooks. Beautiful stories within a single book.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:31 am Recommend “Horse” by Geraldine Brooks. Beautiful stories within a single book.

sounds like you're correct: https://www.npr.org/2022/06/11/11043690 ... oroughbred

As for me, I've decided to re-start Gone With the Wind - will use an audio book to go along with my rather old and dusty copy of that novel. The print is a bit too small for my delicate eyes. Furthermore, 1,000 pages is just too much to read. I'll listen along and hopefully, get a full appreciation of the story.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.t-5aHyy9l ... ImgDetMain
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
molo

Post by molo »

Finished “Dr. No” after “James” and will start “Telephone” tonight.
AdnanS2024

Post by AdnanS2024 »

Becoming MRICS is a significant achievement, recognizing candidates' skills and experience, and opening doors to enhanced career opportunities and higher salaries. Candidates of the College of Contract Management benefit from 15 lessons on RICS competencies, including mandatory aspects, overseen by an experienced rics counsellor. Progress monitoring ensures competency through practical experience.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”