Northwestern at Maryland, 4/6 6 p.m.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Northwestern at Maryland, 4/6 6 p.m.

Post by Brownlax »

NULax2 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:16 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:26 am I haven't seen Taylor one tenth as much as many here but I haven't seen all the flopping she's accused of doing by the many here.
Very good, and strong, player.
They are just jealous that KAH is able to evaluate talent much better than their teams.
From IL honorable mention to 1st year, day 1 starting attacker, big 10 freshman of the year, NU’s next superstar.
Taylor is not a flopper. She just does not care about her body and goes so hard to the goal to get her shot off, she often ends up on the ground. She also gets 8m calls because she goes so hard and is tough to defend.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:46 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:26 am I haven't seen Taylor one tenth as much as many here but I haven't seen all the flopping she's accused of doing by the many here.
They are just jealous that KAH is able to evaluate talent much better than their teams.
From IL honorable mention to 1st year, day 1 starting attacker, big 10 freshman of the year, NU’s next superstar.
Taylor is not a flopper. She just does not care about her body and goes so hard to the goal to get her shot off, she often ends up on the ground. She also gets 8m calls because she goes so hard and is tough to defend.
Respectfully disagree. Taylor is known to go down a little easier than I would think probable given her frame and athleticism. My view on that is, I don't care. So she goes down easy. So she's prone to flopping at times. So what. I'm sure she has her reasons and I'm sure the team has theirs for either winking at it or downright coaching/encouraging it. It certainly has its benefits for the Wildcats, and the Wildcats fan. Just more opportunities to see MT go FP inventively as she does. The falling down/flopping/embellishing/whatever doesn't detract from my fan experience in watching one of the most impressive players in the game today.

And yes, NULax2--jealousy plays a part; not only with assessing NU but in other aspects of life on these boards as well.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:43 pm Maryland's D isn't all that. pure and simple. If they werent winning so many draws, this could get ugly.

Last few years, Maryland has struggled against teams with 4+ scorers. they do well against 1 or 2 prong attacks, struggle against multi-faceted attacks.
Terps don’t have a single defender who can stop an opposing dodge. Ball constantly going for the ct and out of position . D can’t match NU speed on dodges they are literally running right by the D
LuvLax

Post by LuvLax »

From NU student newspaper. The Cats practiced all week on their Field Hockey team's surface.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2024/04/0 ... -road-win/
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:10 pm
Respectfully disagree. Taylor is known to go down a little easier than I would think probable given her frame and athleticism. My view on that is, I don't care. So she goes down easy. So she's prone to flopping at times. So what. I'm sure she has her reasons and I'm sure the team has theirs for either winking at it or downright coaching/encouraging it. It certainly has its benefits for the Wildcats, and the Wildcats fan. Just more opportunities to see MT go FP inventively as she does. The falling down/flopping/embellishing/whatever doesn't detract from my fan experience in watching one of the most impressive players in the game today.

And yes, NULax2--jealousy plays a part; not only with assessing NU but in other aspects of life on these boards as well.
falling down/flopping/embellishing/whatever = cheating when you are doing it to try to get a call against the other team for a foul that didn't occur. Supposed to have green cards for that. Oh well.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

cltlax wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:24 am

falling down/flopping/embellishing/whatever = cheating when you are doing it to try to get a call against the other team for a foul that didn't occur. Supposed to have green cards for that. Oh well.
He only cares about players and coaches bending/twisting the rules to gain an unfair advantage when their names aren't Northwestern or Boston College. A hypocrite of the highest degree.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

laxer12 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:22 pm
cltlax wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:24 am

He only cares about players and coaches bending/twisting the rules to gain an unfair advantage when their names aren't Northwestern or Boston College. A hypocrite of the highest degree.
Bingo.
OuttaNowhereWregget

NULax2 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:16 pm They are just jealous that KAH is able to evaluate talent much better than their teams.
yes, NULax2--jealousy plays a part; not only with assessing NU but in other aspects of life on these boards as well.
Cases in point...
OuttaNowhereWregget

I wonder if they were indignantly-name-calling, so-angry-they-could-spit when one of Maryland's star players was flopping back during the 2nd dynasty?

hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:27 pm I wonder if they were indignantly-name-calling, so-angry-they-could-spit when one of Maryland's star players was flopping back during the 2nd dynasty?

The yeah but she did it too defense is childish. It's something that needs to be removed from the game. I was very happy when the NCAA passed the rule this year to card embellishment and flopping. It has helped in the NHL and NBA. Sadly, the refs refuse to call it just like they refuse to call a charge in the midfield when someone clearing runs over someone redefending. You can pass all the rules you want but they don't matter if they aren't called.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:38 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:27 pm I wonder if they were indignantly-name-calling, so-angry-they-could-spit when one of Maryland's star players was flopping back during the 2nd dynasty?
The yeah but she did it too defense is childish. It's something that needs to be removed from the game. I was very happy when the NCAA passed the rule this year to card embellishment and flopping. It has helped in the NHL and NBA. Sadly, the refs refuse to call it just like they refuse to call a charge in the midfield when someone clearing runs over someone redefending. You can pass all the rules you want but they don't matter if they aren't called.
"yeah but she did it too defense" is a mischaracterization. I don't care about flopping--from either one of them. I've evolved on my philosophy over the years. My point is--if Maryland fans are going to condemn a Northwestern player for flopping, they should take a look in their own past first. Capisce?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:58 pm
"yeah but she did it too defense" is a mischaracterization. I don't care about flopping--from either one of them. I've evolved on my philosophy over the years. My point is--if Maryland fans are going to condemn a Northwestern player for flopping, they should take a look in their own past first. Capisce?
I don't even think 25 did a lot of flopping in the MD game. My stance on her is the collection of work. Almost every team has a flopper or two. And as I've said, gamesmanship is a part of sports. Yes, I know your stance is now "do whatever it takes to score". Your prerogative, but I prefer when the game is played the way it's meant to be and not falling down so you can rip an uncontested 8m shot. It's going to happen until the rules are enforced.

Also, as always want to include the caveat that I think 25 is a fantastic player. She doesn't need to do it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:03 pm
I don't even think 25 did a lot of flopping in the MD game. My stance on her is the collection of work. Almost every team has a flopper or two. And as I've said, gamesmanship is a part of sports. Yes, I know your stance is now "do whatever it takes to score". Your prerogative, but I prefer when the game is played the way it's meant to be and not falling down so you can rip a uncontested 8m shot.

Also, as always want to include the caveat that I think 25 is a fantastic player. She doesn't need to do it.
Yes, I know your stance is now "do whatever it takes to score".

I can't even fully sign my name to that. My carefully crafted statement-for-the-press, if you will, would be:

Flopping doesn't bother me.

Period.

No clarifying and no expounding on the pros and cons of it. Flopping doesn't bother me--no matter which player on which team is doing it. That's it.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:08 pm
I don't even think 25 did a lot of flopping in the MD game. My stance on her is the collection of work. Almost every team has a flopper or two. And as I've said, gamesmanship is a part of sports. Yes, I know your stance is now "do whatever it takes to score". Your prerogative, but I prefer when the game is played the way it's meant to be and not falling down so you can rip a uncontested 8m shot.

I can't even fully sign my name to that. My carefully crafted statement-for-the-press, if you will, would be:

Period.

No clarifying and no expounding on the pros and cons of it. Flopping doesn't bother me--no matter which player on which team is doing it. That's it.
You enjoy the anticipation of FPs in the moment. I prefer when goals are scored in the run of play. Nothing is better than a great assisted goal. Way too many goals in wlax are because of ticky tack foul calls, flops, shooting space calls when the player isn't even going to the goal, empty stick checks on a 50/50 ground ball inside the 8(another rule that makes no sense considering most wlax rules are for safety reasons. Why can't you check an empty stick on the ground in wlax?), etc.

Yes, I'm the parent of a defender. Make them earn it. The rules are already heavily slanted towards the offense.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:13 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:08 pm

Period.

You enjoy the anticipation of FPs in the moment. I prefer when goals are scored in the run of play. Nothing is better than a great assisted goal. Way too many goals in wlax are because of ticky tack foul calls, flops, shooting space calls when the player isn't even going to the goal, empty stick checks on a 50/50 ground ball inside the 8(another rule that makes no sense considering most wlax rules are for safety reasons. Why can't you check an empty stick on the ground in wlax?), etc.

Yes, I'm the parent of a defender. Make them earn it. The rules are already heavily slanted towards the offense.
I understand where you're coming from--all the more so being the parent of a defender. I'm coming from a completely different place. So we can agree to disagree and still be civil. N'est-ce pas?
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

shooting space calls when the player isn't even going to the goal
I can’t stand that! And I’m a parent of an attacker.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Deacon022 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:20 pm
My favorites are the shooting space calls before the attacker catches the ball and proceeds to drop the pass.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:29 pm
My favorites are the shooting space calls before the attacker catches the ball and proceeds to drop the pass.
You saw that too? I haven't rewatched Clemson v BC but I think the ref who did it was visibly upset at herself for anticipating the foul.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

GratefulRed wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:53 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:29 pm
You saw that too? I haven't rewatched Clemson v BC but I think the ref who did it was visibly upset at herself for anticipating the foul.
She definitely was. And didn't give the 8m thankfully.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”