NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
slippinjimmy

Re: NESCAC

Post by slippinjimmy »

ah23 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:46 am
slippinjimmy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:45 pm Is Middlebury the most fraudulent pre season team? I know they won today, but in a close one and not even breaking 10 goals… People had these guys as the 2 in preseason rankings…

Who in the world had Middlebury at #2?

(FWIW the answer to your question is 100%, no question, no one in the conference is remotely close)
Talking NESCAC, most people would have had them 2 in the preseason. Could they still achieve this? Yes. However I just don’t see it happening.
Bilo

Post by Bilo »

HomewoodHomer wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:35 pm Middlebury is having trouble adjusting to a zone defense. I think they'll adjust.
Come on - Middlebury offense has been scuffling all season. Pretty clearly a coaching/culture issue.
PioJimmy

Post by PioJimmy »

Thoughts on this weeks games?

Wesleyan VS Trinity - It seems as if Trinity once again has hit a late season stride and is able to utilize the talent they have on the team, but Wesleyan comes confident after a huge upset and having one of the best seasons they have had in a while. Going to take Wesleyan in this one.

Tufts VS Bates - not much to say for this one, tufts handles the bobcats easily.

Hamilton VS Williams - Two really similar teams, Williams is really clicking recently though and do not think the Hamilton Zone will be a problem for them. Taking Williams.

Amherst VS Conn - Disappointing to see the season Conn is having so far and really rooting for those guys, but might not be there year, Amherst is rolling and wouldn't expect them to stop now.

Colby VS Bowdoin - Going to go with the underdogs here and take Colby, really seems like they are starting to piece everything together as time goes on, and think that Bowdoin has been very up and down lately.

Let me know your guys thoughts on these takes.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

slippinjimmy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:42 am Talking NESCAC, most people would have had them 2 in the preseason. Could they still achieve this? Yes. However I just don’t see it happening.
Oof my bad, totally misinterpreted what you meant. It is crazy that they’re still technically alive despite their offense falling off a cliff this season.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Bilo wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:04 pm
HomewoodHomer wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:35 pm Middlebury is having trouble adjusting to a zone defense. I think they'll adjust.
Come on - Middlebury offense has been scuffling all season. Pretty clearly a coaching/culture issue.
Midd's been pretty mid for the last decade other than last year's outlier.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

ah23 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:43 pm
slippinjimmy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:42 am
ah23 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:46 am
slippinjimmy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:45 pm Is Middlebury the most fraudulent pre season team? I know they won today, but in a close one and not even breaking 10 goals… People had these guys as the 2 in preseason rankings…

Who in the world had Middlebury at #2?

(FWIW the answer to your question is 100%, no question, no one in the conference is remotely close)
Talking NESCAC, most people would have had them 2 in the preseason. Could they still achieve this? Yes. However I just don’t see it happening.
Oof my bad, totally misinterpreted what you meant. It is crazy that they’re still technically alive despite their offense falling off a cliff this season.
Somebody very wise once told me, this is a NESCAC thread. It goes without saying that what is discussed here is in the NESCAC, and not nationally.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

PioJimmy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:16 pm Thoughts on this weeks games?

Wesleyan VS Trinity - It seems as if Trinity once again has hit a late season stride and is able to utilize the talent they have on the team, but Wesleyan comes confident after a huge upset and having one of the best seasons they have had in a while. Going to take Wesleyan in this one.

Tufts VS Bates - not much to say for this one, tufts handles the bobcats easily.

Hamilton VS Williams - Two really similar teams, Williams is really clicking recently though and do not think the Hamilton Zone will be a problem for them. Taking Williams.

Amherst VS Conn - Disappointing to see the season Conn is having so far and really rooting for those guys, but might not be there year, Amherst is rolling and wouldn't expect them to stop now.

Colby VS Bowdoin - Going to go with the underdogs here and take Colby, really seems like they are starting to piece everything together as time goes on, and think that Bowdoin has been very up and down lately.

I agree with all but Colby & Bowdoin.
Even though I want to.
I just feel like the losses to Endicott & Babson, and the scare from Bates, are lessons learned.
Bowdoin will find a way to close out the CBB.

I think Colby wins it in 2025
slippinjimmy

Post by slippinjimmy »

ah23 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:43 pm
slippinjimmy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:42 am Talking NESCAC, most people would have had them 2 in the preseason. Could they still achieve this? Yes. However I just don’t see it happening.
No worries! Anything can happen this year it seems, but yeah... They need to sort it out and quick.
slippinjimmy

Post by slippinjimmy »

Did Tufts switch to a zone when they shut Williams out in that second half?

What did Amherst run against them?

Unfortunately I was not able to watch either of these games. If yes to both - I would say Hamilton is a solid pick, their zone seems strong.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

slippinjimmy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:54 am
Did Tufts switch to a zone when they shut Williams out in that second half?

What did Amherst run against them?

Unfortunately I was not able to watch either of these games. If yes to both - I would say Hamilton is a solid pick, their zone seems strong.
Yes, for most of the half.
bonesnjnts

Post by bonesnjnts »

Time for the forum to experience a little Trinity love. Not hardly a mention here besides throwing the coach under the bus ( undeserved) and comments about how chippy they play ( somewhat deserved ). This team is really playing well.
The Bantams have been the hottest team in NESCAC winning 6 of their last 7.
Hamilton was out of the game after the first quarter and if Hamiltons goalie wasn't playing so well the score would have been much worse.
Yes, there were some stupid penalties but not at a point in the game where it changed the outcome.
Some challenges ahead but they've set themselves up for moving up the standings if they can keep it going.
I don't know how the season will end- but they are playing well in all areas and if they continue this run..well, let's just wait and see. No one in the league is unbeatable.
WoodStick

Post by WoodStick »

After my horrific performance last week I will sit this one out. Some very compelling mid-week games. Look forward to watching!
Mainelaxfan

Post by Mainelaxfan »

WoodStick wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:44 am

After my horrific performance last week I will sit this one out. Some very compelling mid-week games. Look forward to watching!
How does anyone see St Lawrence @ Middlebury on Tuesday coming out?
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Mainelaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:21 am

Five of the last seven meetings between Midd and SLU have been decided by 2 or fewer goals.

The last four meetings (going back to 2018 - thanks COVID) are split 2-2.

On paper it would be easy to say SLU is favorite by 3-4 goals this year, but I think past history shows that this will be a battle.

Should be a great game. The weather is VT is supposed to be awesome. Both the lacrosse and the temps will give this a May feeling.
Mainelaxfan

Post by Mainelaxfan »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:38 am
Mainelaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:21 am

Five of the last seven meetings between Midd and SLU have been decided by 2 or fewer goals.

The last four meetings (going back to 2018 - thanks COVID) are split 2-2.

On paper it would be easy to say SLU is favorite by 3-4 goals this year, but I think past history shows that this will be a battle.

Should be a great game. The weather is VT is supposed to be awesome. Both the lacrosse and the temps will give this a May feeling.
So maybe Midd will win one they are expected to lose? Home field should count for something?
PioJimmy

Post by PioJimmy »

bonesnjnts wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:33 am Time for the forum to experience a little Trinity love. Not hardly a mention here besides throwing the coach under the bus ( undeserved) and comments about how chippy they play ( somewhat deserved ). This team is really playing well.
The Bantams have been the hottest team in NESCAC winning 6 of their last 7.
Hamilton was out of the game after the first quarter and if Hamiltons goalie wasn't playing so well the score would have been much worse.
Yes, there were some stupid penalties but not at a point in the game where it changed the outcome.
Some challenges ahead but they've set themselves up for moving up the standings if they can keep it going.
I don't know how the season will end- but they are playing well in all areas and if they continue this run..well, let's just wait and see. No one in the league is unbeatable.
Bones, I agree with this take. Being a CT guy I always like to keep tabs on Conn, Wes, and Trinity a little bit more aggressively than the other schools. It is exciting to see Trinity winning and think depending on how they play they could fair very well and maybe even steal a playoff game this year. I remember there was some mention of D1 transfers on the team, how did they end up panning out? What is starting to click for the team? Hamilton win seems to be a really big one for them. Let me know your thoughts on this.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Who are Trinity's recent wins against?
bonesnjnts

Post by bonesnjnts »

Hamilton was their best win by far. Would take Trinity against Williams if they played again. The game got away from Trinity and before they could settle down it was over.
Goalie play has been good. Offense is taking a ton of shots, wish more were on goal.
Defense is playing better.
Need to improve man-up offense.
They're solid right now. Will be interesting to watch as they play Wesly Wednesday at home.
If they win that ( and actually even if they don't they can still make a run ) then everyone should start to take notice.
Not just the Dads.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:38 pm Who are Trinity's recent wins against?
Powerhouses....Colby parents did the same things when Colby beat up on the Maine school for the blind in years past...Their Hamilton win is a quality win tho
Laxdad457

Post by Laxdad457 »

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”