D1 Mens Lacrosse
JeremyCuse

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by JeremyCuse »

Powellfan22 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:12 am
Laxitup21 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:23 am
Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:09 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:21 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:17 pm Pretzel logic -- the above is the definition of :lol:
Don’t be mad he won’t crack top two teams of AA. He’s just a finisher. Can’t dodge as we know. Don’t think you’re disagreeing.
I guess this is just a bad troll job by you? Or you don’t know how statistics work? Or you don’t know anything about lacrosse? Either way it’s embarrassing.
The stats are:
-1 goal on 7 shots vs UMD
-0 goals on 6 shots vs Army
-0 goals on 6 shots vs Duke
-1 goal on 4 shots vs ND
-2 goals on 7 shots vs Hopkins

Nice player, not really at that elite level yet of the Shelly's, pKav, etc. Again, you have no argument except trolling.
You are cherry picking numbers, which isn't surprising.

2 assists vs Maryland
2 assists vs Army
2 assists vs Duke
0 assists vs Notre Dame
3 assists vs Hopkins

Those aren't great numbers, though no one is saying it is. My argument has never been that they've been good, it's that he's not "just a finisher", which you've been babbling about for weeks. But you come on here labeling him "just a finisher", (only when they lose mind you, you never come on here when they win), then completely leave out his passing numbers. Again, you are a person who pushes a certain agenda and picks things to fit your argument. It's tiring and boring. I call you a troll, and your best come back is to call me a troll. Astounding stuff.
Whoops must have just left out those assist numbers by accident.
Last edited by JeremyCuse on Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:53 am
10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:17 pm Pretzel logic -- the above is the definition of :lol:
Don’t be mad he won’t crack top two teams of AA. He’s just a finisher. Can’t dodge as we know. Don’t think you’re disagreeing.
I guess this is just a bad troll job by you? Or you don’t know how statistics work? Or you don’t know anything about lacrosse? Either way it’s embarrassing.
The stats are:
-1 goal on 4 shots vs ND

Nice player, not really at that elite level yet of the Shelly's, pKav, etc. Again, you have no argument except trolling.
He had 4 turnovers against Army, Hopkins, and Notre Dame as well.

I wish people would separate out production vs. top teams from games against everyone else not just with Spallina, but with everyone when evaluating how good they actually are. Brennan O'Neill (who's been criticized just as much if not more than Spallina this season) has been similar — total ghost against Penn and Cuse, pretty good against Princeton and Denver, dominant against the Bellarmines and Jacksonvilles of the world (although he has turned it over far less often than Spallina).

It's a valid thing to point out, but shouldn't be reserved just for one guy. And I bet Spallina cares a lot less about it than some people in this thread do. If Cuse didn't want fans to scrutinize his every move, they should have approached his matriculation differently. O'Neill has received pretty much the same treatment and he wasn't even conferred a historic jersey. There are people out there saying his legacy will be tarnished if Duke doesn't win a title this year. That's the way it goes.
Sorry but what exactly should Syracuse have handled better in his matriculation? The #22 has been used a recruiting tool for decades by Syracuse lax, should SU have not offered the #1 recruit in the class and their #1 target that year the option of wearing #22? Any D1 lax team would have done the same, if Hopkins had a jersey with said tradition they absolutely would have done the same.

As far as O'Neil I do agree that he takes just as much negative feedback, the difference being Duke has almost zero online fanbase and absolutely no presence on fanlax so there's no real pushback or Duke presence to respond.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:53 pm
The stats are:
-1 goal on 4 shots vs ND

I wish people would separate out production vs. top teams from games against everyone else not just with Spallina, but with everyone when evaluating how good they actually are. Brennan O'Neill (who's been criticized just as much if not more than Spallina this season) has been similar — total ghost against Penn and Cuse, pretty good against Princeton and Denver, dominant against the Bellarmines and Jacksonvilles of the world (although he has turned it over far less often than Spallina).

It's a valid thing to point out, but shouldn't be reserved just for one guy. And I bet Spallina cares a lot less about it than some people in this thread do. If Cuse didn't want fans to scrutinize his every move, they should have approached his matriculation differently. O'Neill has received pretty much the same treatment and he wasn't even conferred a historic jersey. There are people out there saying his legacy will be tarnished if Duke doesn't win a title this year. That's the way it goes.
Sorry but what exactly should Syracuse have handled better in his matriculation? The #22 has been used a recruiting tool for decades by Syracuse lax, should SU have not offered the #1 recruit in the class and their #1 target that year the option of wearing #22? Any D1 lax team would have done the same, if Hopkins had a jersey with said tradition they absolutely would have done the same.

As far as O'Neil I do agree that he takes just as much negative feedback, the difference being Duke has almost zero online fanbase and absolutely no presence on fanlax so there's no real pushback or Duke presence to respond.
think 2006 scared most of them off
Finster

Post by Finster »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:09 pm
Powellfan22 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:07 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:04 pm When was the last time IL'S #1 recruit lived up to the incredibly high expectations or miraculously exceeded those expectations? I would dare say (as a Cornell homer) JEFF TEAT.

Who by the way, I now consider at ANY level, the best lacrosse player on the planet.

Given that moniker immediately puts added pressure on the player, even though it shouldn't.

By the way, do we know who is the #1 recruit for the next cycle?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Matthew Jeffery, midfielder from CT going to Notre Dame.
Thank you PF22, and good luck tonight.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Guys,

This may have something to do with an injury, but I believe the #1 2024 recruit is (or was) Ryan Duenkel from Maryland, headed to UVA. I believe he’s been sidelined this season though.

https://www.streakingthelawn.com/2023/1 ... recruiting

On the other hand, Notre Dame thinks they have the #1 recruit in Matthew Jeffrey!!

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/22056/na ... n-football

Give me time and maybe I’ll find that each program has landed the ‘#1 recruit’. :D
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The stats are:
-1 goal on 4 shots vs ND

You could give the jersey to a player who has earned it, like Maryland does. And yes, by all reports, it sounds like they didn't need to offer Spallina the jersey at all — he was always headed there regardless. "I was going to go to Syracuse but they didn't immediately offer me #22 alongside my full ride, guess I'm going to Maryland instead" said no one ever.

And when you give him the jersey before he steps on campus, you are making Gary Gait or Mike Powell the standard he has to live up to. The school created that comparison (and the pressure associated with it), not fans or the media. You're basically begging pundits to put his every move under a microscope. He was given the jersey when he was a junior in high school. Call me crazy but no, I don't think they had to do that.

Here's the thing: I don't even think it's that big of a deal. He seems like a good kid who has managed to handle it all quite well. Like I said, I doubt he cares about what anyone online says. The crying wolf about the criticism is just a little rich, as if it's a mystery why it's happening.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

99% of the criticism Spallina gets would still happen if he was wearing #94 or #62. He is without question one of the most hyped up and talked about high school recruits of all time. Prominent on the club scene for years where his dad is a large presence, #1 in points in Long Island history, heck there are vids of him as a small kid that went semi viral. The hype train would be rolling just as steady no matter what number he got. The media would have him under the exact same spotlight. The expectations would be just as high. To suggest otherwise is silly.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:39 pm
The stats are:
-1 goal on 4 shots vs ND

You could give the jersey to a player who has earned it, like Maryland does. And yes, by all reports, it sounds like they didn't need to offer Spallina the jersey at all — he was always headed there regardless. "I was going to go to Syracuse but they didn't immediately offer me #22 alongside my full ride, guess I'm going to Maryland instead" said no one ever.

And when you give him the jersey before he steps on campus, you are making Gary Gait or Mike Powell the standard he has to live up to. The school created that comparison (and the pressure associated with it), not fans or the media. You're basically begging pundits to put his every move under a microscope. He was given the jersey when he was a junior in high school. Call me crazy but no, I don't think they had to do that.

Here's the thing: I don't even think it's that big of a deal. He seems like a good kid who has managed to handle it all quite well. Like I said, I doubt he cares about what anyone online says. The crying wolf about the criticism is just a little rich, as if it's a mystery why it's happening.
Well I can't speak for everyone but there's not exactly a deluge of Syracuse fans crying wolf or proclaiming that he's the second coming. As you noted he's a good player but most SU fans realize he isn't Mike or Casey Powell, that's not his game and never will be, he's not an elite dodger.

Regarding 22 SU's given the jersey to plenty of players before they ever stepped on campus Hardy, Morasco, even Scanlan. I don't recall anyone noting that SU was creating major hype for any of them or creating a comparison to Mike Powell when those three were given 22.

Most of the push back is when people say stuff that's completely ridiculous ie He's just a finisher, hasn't done anything against the top 10 teams etc etc. Some of it is also selective as several top attackmen have been shut down or severely limited against elite defenders this year yet I didn't see half a dozen people run to the sabre to ask why Schellenberger was scoreless against Harvard or Chris Kavanaugh got shut out on Saturday. Clearly Spallina has struggled to dodger and score against elite close defenders and has literally faced the entire 1st team AA close defense (Il's mid year group)so his struggles aren't overly surprising. He's a very good player who would benefit from playing with a secondary dodger at attack which SU really doesn't have right now but should next year. He does need to be more of a scorer against top teams certainly criticism there is more then valid.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:11 pm Well I can't speak for everyone but there's not exactly a deluge of Syracuse fans crying wolf
Well I haven't conducted a poll but at least one has bizarrely accused people criticizing the player of masturbating to the thought, which is kinda what got this whole thing going.
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:11 pm Regarding 22 SU's given the jersey to plenty of players before they ever stepped on campus Hardy, Morasco, even Scanlan.
Maybe they shouldn't do that! Why is that such a crazy idea? After the Scanlan debacle no one would have blamed them. Giving it to Scanlan was also a questionable decision at the outset because he already had some behavioral concerns before he transferred.
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:11 pm I don't recall anyone noting that SU was creating major hype for any of them or creating a comparison to Mike Powell when those three were given 22.
To be honest I don't remember what the conversation was like with Hardy or Marasco, but Scanlan absolutely was criticized. And if you want to add Jordan Evans to the picture, well, the call was coming from inside the house. I don't think anybody went after him as much as Cuse fans did.
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:11 pm Most of the push back is when people say stuff that's completely ridiculous ie He's just a finisher, hasn't done anything against the top 10 teams etc etc. Some of it is also selective as several top attackmen have been shut down or severely limited against elite defenders this year yet I didn't see half a dozen people run to the sabre to ask why Schellenberger was scoreless against Harvard or Chris Kavanaugh got shut out on Saturday. Clearly Spallina has struggled to dodger and score against elite close defenders and has literally faced the entire 1st team AA close defense (Il's mid year group)so his struggles aren't overly surprising. He's a very good player who would benefit from playing with a secondary dodger at attack which SU really doesn't have right now but should next year. He does need to be more of a scorer against top teams certainly criticism there is more then valid.
I agree, that's all true, but even that mild criticism is being met with extreme pushback. You seem to be a lot more reasonable and nuanced than a few others.
coda

Post by coda »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:11 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:39 pm
The stats are:
-1 goal on 4 shots vs ND

Well I can't speak for everyone but there's not exactly a deluge of Syracuse fans crying wolf or proclaiming that he's the second coming. As you noted he's a good player but most SU fans realize he isn't Mike or Casey Powell, that's not his game and never will be, he's not an elite dodger.

Regarding 22 SU's given the jersey to plenty of players before they ever stepped on campus Hardy, Morasco, even Scanlan. I don't recall anyone noting that SU was creating major hype for any of them or creating a comparison to Mike Powell when those three were given 22.

Most of the push back is when people say stuff that's completely ridiculous ie He's just a finisher, hasn't done anything against the top 10 teams etc etc. Some of it is also selective as several top attackmen have been shut down or severely limited against elite defenders this year yet I didn't see half a dozen people run to the sabre to ask why Schellenberger was scoreless against Harvard or Chris Kavanaugh got shut out on Saturday. Clearly Spallina has struggled to dodger and score against elite close defenders and has literally faced the entire 1st team AA close defense (Il's mid year group)so his struggles aren't overly surprising. He's a very good player who would benefit from playing with a secondary dodger at attack which SU really doesn't have right now but should next year. He does need to be more of a scorer against top teams certainly criticism there is more then valid.
I think Cuse would be wise to take a tip from Maryland and wait to give 22 to a senior. Its a lot of unnecessary pressure to give it to a freshmen.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Antonio114 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:09 pm 99% of the criticism Spallina gets would still happen if he was wearing #94 or #62. He is without question one of the most hyped up and talked about high school recruits of all time. Prominent on the club scene for years where his dad is a large presence, #1 in points in Long Island history, heck there are vids of him as a small kid that went semi viral. The hype train would be rolling just as steady no matter what number he got. The media would have him under the exact same spotlight. The expectations would be just as high. To suggest otherwise is silly.
Totally agree. The rhetoric about wearing #22 is a non-issue. I just find the endless hype esp by Carc and the like - irritating. But if thats all it was I would just mute him during games. My point is the more a player is hyped and mentioned the more the tewarton and AA committees take note. " He is talked about glowingly all the time he must be amazing" look at those stats ...BUT do they look at which games he gets them, at turnovers that can lose tight games, the big games lost and did he play like a stud during them??.

This is the criticism I have. Do the powers that be that make decisions just listening to the hype? And ignore other players who are helping their team win day in and day out? Im honestly curious if that hype blinds decision makers...
Finster

Post by Finster »

Madlax59 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:40 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:09 pm 99% of the criticism Spallina gets would still happen if he was wearing #94 or #62. He is without question one of the most hyped up and talked about high school recruits of all time. Prominent on the club scene for years where his dad is a large presence, #1 in points in Long Island history, heck there are vids of him as a small kid that went semi viral. The hype train would be rolling just as steady no matter what number he got. The media would have him under the exact same spotlight. The expectations would be just as high. To suggest otherwise is silly.
Totally agree. The rhetoric about wearing #22 is a non-issue. I just find the endless hype esp by Carc and the like - irritating. But if thats all it was I would just mute him during games. My point is the more a player is hyped and mentioned the more the tewarton and AA committees take note. " He is talked about glowingly all the time he must be amazing" look at those stats ...BUT do they look at which games he gets them, at turnovers that can lose tight games, the big games lost and did he play like a stud during them??.

This is the criticism I have. Do the powers that be that make decisions just listening to the hype? And ignore other players who are helping their team win day in and day out? Im honestly curious if that hype blinds decision makers...

Do you think Spallina isn’t ‘helping their team win day in and day out’?

I’m not sure what a sophomore can do more than be 4th in the entire country in PPG.

I feel like we’ve reached the Giselle Bundchen stage of this debate, ‘what more do you want Tom (Brady) to do, throw the ball and catch it?’ 😂😂😂
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Finster wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:53 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:40 pm

Do you think Spallina isn’t ‘helping their team win day in and day out’?

I’m not sure what a sophomore can do more than be 4th in the entire country in PPG.

I feel like we’ve reached the Giselle Bundchen stage of this debate, ‘what more do you want Tom (Brady) to do, throw the ball and catch it?’ 😂😂😂
LOL good one. I think in a few games poor decision making (fancy shot at a bad time ) and turnovers led to the other team gaining possession and scoring and ultimately winning. yes.
Last edited by Madlax59 on Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Completely agree, I didn't like Joey before he got here because of the hype, didn't like his father either (still not crazy about him) and yes he would be criticized regardless of number, but to dismiss the added heat and quickness to criticize that the number #22 brings is equally silly. The critics buried him after his first outing and some of them are having a hard time letting go of that and the #22 adds to the pleasure of their criticism.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

coda wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:31 pm I think Cuse would be wise to take a tip from Maryland and wait to give 22 to a senior. Its a lot of unnecessary pressure to give it to a freshmen.
+1
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:20 am
DMac wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:37 am
Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:12 am
DMac wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:00 pm Gee, thanks for lettin' me know what kind forum this is, fellas. It's also the Cuse thread that trolls are coming on to tear #22 apart like they have since before he ever stepped foot on a D1 field and have ever since at every given opportunity. Nice attempt at a soft back pedal though.
Big game coming up v Cornell in the (predicted) rain and cold tomorrow. Any insight or anything to say about that? Both teams coming off loses, both kind of need to win this one.
Noting the point splits between ranked and unranked opponents is "tearing him apart"?

Wow.
Noting the point splits between ranked and unranked opponents is just more scrutiny to show us all he's not good enough cuz he wears #22.
Personally, I don't care about the #22. As someone who watches and reads about a lot of lacrosse, the hype around him is pretty high given those point splits. I think he's a good player. As many have noted, he's got a great stick, great lacrosse IQ, and great shooting skills. If Cuse wants to bestow that jersey to him, that's fine by me. If the lacrosse media and All-American voters want to bestow high honors to him, well, I don't think that's warranted given those splits. Hop16 put it best. The program shined this spotlight on him, and the media has intensified it. Commenting about his play comes with that spotlight, and no one is tearing the guy apart.
Respectfully, I wonder what leads you to spend time obsessing about a single player. What benefits derive from spending so much time attempting to reduce what you perceive as adulation. What's it all about? You open yourself to criticism not for your ideas but for your persistence. How can you enjoy a terrific game like the ND game and concentrate closely on one individual. Instead of dismissing your comments, I offer one of my own experiences of being too old to play college sports even though I did when I was in college. These athletes are so much better than I was, so much more agile, strong , fast and athletic than I was that I watch a kid like Spallina and feel immediately jealous. God, I wish I could do that is my whispered mantra. There are 5 other very fine athletes to watch in the SU offense, but even more important is the almost balletic sequences in the SU passing game of which Spallina is a central part. Sit back, enjoy the game. Please!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

sholokov2 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:58 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:20 am
DMac wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:37 am
Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:12 am
DMac wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:00 pm Gee, thanks for lettin' me know what kind forum this is, fellas. It's also the Cuse thread that trolls are coming on to tear #22 apart like they have since before he ever stepped foot on a D1 field and have ever since at every given opportunity. Nice attempt at a soft back pedal though.
Big game coming up v Cornell in the (predicted) rain and cold tomorrow. Any insight or anything to say about that? Both teams coming off loses, both kind of need to win this one.
Noting the point splits between ranked and unranked opponents is "tearing him apart"?

Wow.
Noting the point splits between ranked and unranked opponents is just more scrutiny to show us all he's not good enough cuz he wears #22.
Personally, I don't care about the #22. As someone who watches and reads about a lot of lacrosse, the hype around him is pretty high given those point splits. I think he's a good player. As many have noted, he's got a great stick, great lacrosse IQ, and great shooting skills. If Cuse wants to bestow that jersey to him, that's fine by me. If the lacrosse media and All-American voters want to bestow high honors to him, well, I don't think that's warranted given those splits. Hop16 put it best. The program shined this spotlight on him, and the media has intensified it. Commenting about his play comes with that spotlight, and no one is tearing the guy apart.
Respectfully, I wonder what leads you to spend time obsessing about a single player. What benefits derive from spending so much time attempting to reduce what you perceive as adulation. What's it all about? You open yourself to criticism not for your ideas but for your persistence. How can you enjoy a terrific game like the ND game and concentrate closely on one individual. Instead of dismissing your comments, I offer one of my own experiences of being too old to play college sports even though I did when I was in college. These athletes are so much better than I was, so much more agile, strong , fast and athletic than I was that I watch a kid like Spallina and feel immediately jealous. God, I wish I could do that is my whispered mantra. There are 5 other very fine athletes to watch in the SU offense, but even more important is the almost balletic sequences in the SU passing game of which Spallina is a central part. Sit back, enjoy the game. Please!
I'm so confused by this post. But have a great day.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Cornell looking like a jv team to start. Cuse playing make it take it at the F/O spot.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Pat March kicked out of the game ahahah. Classy program as always.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Laxitup21 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:33 pm Pat March kicked out of the game ahahah. Classy program as always.
What happened ??
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Laxitup21 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:33 pm Pat March kicked out of the game ahahah. Classy program as always.
Cornell said hold my beer. 😂
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”