2019 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
VirginiaTerp

Other Tuesday title games

Post by VirginiaTerp »

Marshall over Falls Church for the National District title. I believe that earns Marshall a spot in the Northern Region (6D) tournament, along with the Liberty, Concorde, and Cedar Run District qualifiers.

West Potomac over TC Williams for the Gunston District title.WestPo will get a first round bye in the Occoquan Region (6C) tournament.
helmetssoon

Re: Other Tuesday title games

Post by helmetssoon »

VirginiaTerp wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:41 pm Marshall over Falls Church for the National District title. I believe that earns Marshall a spot in the Northern Region (6D) tournament, along with the Liberty, Concorde, and Cedar Run District qualifiers.

West Potomac over TC Williams for the Gunston District title.WestPo will get a first round bye in the Occoquan Region (6C) tournament.
Anyone have insight as to how VHSL puts the regional brackets together? Link below to 6D which likely features QUARTERFINAL matchups of Concorde Champ vs. Liberty Runner Up and Liberty Champ vs. Concorde Runner up. That's the best four teams in the region based on the regular season results. Having the top teams from the top districts in the 6D region meet that early seems silly.

Big winner in this draw? W&L who by dropping the lightning shortened Liberty Semi final ends up with an easier road to the regional semis (and very good shot at a State berth) than Herndon whom they've lost two twice this season.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BZvFT5 ... RoYo-/view

Link to inside lacrosse rankings for context on where these teams stack up. Not fully updated but gives you an idea of the odd matchups. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... +6A/155/19
VirginiaTerp

Northern Region bracket

Post by VirginiaTerp »

I don’t know how VHSL devised a bracket where Liberty #2 Herndon plays Concorde #1 Madison and Concorde #2 Oakton plays Liberty #1 Langley in the quarterfinals, assuming Herndon gets by Osbourn Park and Oakton defeats Stonewall Jackson on Friday. The losers of those two games would already be out of contention for States.

Herndon vs Madison should be a very good game, but expected that as a semifinal matchup. Both of these teams were in the State Eight last year and thought they both would be there again. Why Herndon was given a harder path than Washington-Lee is crazy. Though if the Hornets can get by the Warhawks, could potentially see an All-Liberty final four.

Oakton has a tall order in having to beat the Saxons early next week. Someone in VHSL must not like them.
VALaxer

Re: 2019 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by VALaxer »

Scores I've heard from District title games last night...

Madison 10 - Oakton 6

Woodson 14 - Robinson 6
Dr. Tact

Re: Northern Region bracket

Post by Dr. Tact »

VirginiaTerp wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 pm Why Herndon was given a harder path than Washington-Lee is crazy. Though if the Hornets can get by the Warhawks, could potentially see an All-Liberty final four.
IIRC, in past years this has been true for other teams as well. Sometimes it is better strategically to lose. I'm not saying anyone ever threw a game....just that sometimes the path is easier depending on the seedings...I believe that the seedings are published before playoffs start...

On the other hand, losing has consequences....UAO will remember, but I think in 2016 Langley lost to Madison in their District finals. That set them up to face Robinson in 2nd round of Regionals (elimination round). Robinson won 13-11 and Langley's season was over with arguably one of the top 2 teams in the state.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Round 2 of the Longest Running Rivalry...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

Rams came to "The Pat" with a plan and the first ten minutes the two teams went back and forth in a scoreless battle. The Cavs also had a strategy to nullify the big Robo scorers from the previous game. Rams had a scare as Kluegel went down near the box and I missed what happened but she sat with the trainer for some time but luckily for Robo she got off the table and reentered the game in the second half. Finally with 16 left Cavs broke through and got a FPS score a minute later. Rams scored on the next possession before a four goal Cav run fueled by two YCs on Robo defenders. Davis got a hat-trick inside 5 minutes left and the Cavs got a YC on the ride going into the half giving the visitors hope at 8-4. Cavs came out of the half with renewed attacking vigor but Rams goalie Ruiz just shut the door with 3 saves before a FPS fell. At 10-4, both Sophomore keepers came up big as Gross matched the big saves as Robo made a 2nd half push but couldn't tally until 5 minutes left. In her first extended play the Co-District POY Stephan beat Ruiz in a tip-toe down the side of the crease where she seemed to shoot below the GLE that raised some Oohs & Aahs. An "A" team of officials were on hand and kept this always heated rivalry in check. One last YC on Rams at 14-6 and the Cavs ran out the clock. Big crowd for both squads and 1st Team announced at the half...should have had Chick-fil-A on a good night for lax. No one would be surprised if this had a third rendition this season!
helmetssoon

Post by helmetssoon »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:20 am
VirginiaTerp wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 pm Why Herndon was given a harder path than Washington-Lee is crazy. Though if the Hornets can get by the Warhawks, could potentially see an All-Liberty final four.
IIRC, in past years this has been true for other teams as well. Sometimes it is better strategically to lose. I'm not saying anyone ever threw a game....just that sometimes the path is easier depending on the seedings...I believe that the seedings are published before playoffs start...

On the other hand, losing has consequences....UAO will remember, but I think in 2016 Langley lost to Madison in their District finals. That set them up to face Robinson in 2nd round of Regionals (elimination round). Robinson won 13-11 and Langley's season was over with arguably one of the top 2 teams in the state.
Agreed. Specific teams will always feel slighted each year, that happens. But structurally there is a problem here if the top two teams from the top two districts in the region are set up to meet in the quarter finals, while the Cedar Run Champion faces the 3rd place finisher from Liberty or Concorde in the same round.
FSUFan

Re: 2019 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by FSUFan »

I heard the seeding is done by random drawing, with the #1 seeds established first, then the #2 seed gets draw for the last bye spot.
And so on.... at least that is what I was told. I could be wrong, as I have been a time or two.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: 2019 Patriot District Honors

With District Championship concluded and the 1st Team introduced at halftime last night, here are the results:

Co-Player of the Year: Margaret Stephan-W.T. Woodson, Junior
Co-Player of the Year: Emily Sullivan-South County, Senior
Coach of the Year: Brian Puhlick-West Springfield

First Team
POSITION FIRST LAST SCHOOL YEAR
ATTACK Devin Alsup W.T. Woodson Sophomore
ATTACK Holly Hill Robinson Freshman
ATTACK Campbell Brown W.T. Woodson Sophomore
ATTACK Caeley Terapane West Springfield Junior
ATTACK Carlie Hartung W.T. Woodson Senior

MIDFIELD Margaret Stephan W.T. Woodson Junior (Co-Player of the Year)
MIDFIELD Emily Sullivan South County Senior (Co-Player of the Year)
MIDFIELD Hannah Davis Robinson Senior
MIDFIELD Riley StrutevantWest SpringfieldFreshman
MIDFIELD Cassia Kruse W.T. Woodson Senior
MIDFIELD Ainsley Buckner West SpringfieldJunior
MIDFIELD Makayla Maham South County Senior
MIDFIELD Sophia McCullers Lake Braddock

DEFENSE Sarah Wilson W.T. Woodson Junior
DEFENSE Jayde Mayer West SpringfieldJunior
DEFENSE Makenna Maham South County Senior
DEFENSE Caroline Broderick Robinson Senior
DEFENSE Maddie Stedham W.T. Woodson Senior

GK Kelley Gross W.T. Woodson Sophomore

Second Team
POSITION FIRST LAST SCHOOL
ATTACK Rachel Mosier South County
ATTACK Eva Carr South County
ATTACK Grace Tompkins Robinson
ATTACK Sarah Peters Lake Braddock
ATTACK Haley Prosser Robinson
ATTACK Kylie Horn Fairfax

MIDFIELD Jessie Gold Lake Braddock
MIDFIELD Makena Jordan Fairfax
MIDFIELD Stephanie Skahen West Springfield
MIDFIELD Katherine Friedman W.T. Woodson
MIDFIELD Zoe Kluegel Robinson
MIDFIELD Ryanne Mulligan South County
MIDFIELD Hannah Book Robinson

DEFENSE Araz Stone Robinson
DEFENSE Madison Bradshaw WT Woodson
DEFENSE Carson Quigley South County
DEFENSE Blake Hopkins Robinson
DEFENSE Dani Dahl Fairfax

GK Taylor Hamilton South County
GK Roxanne Rogers West Springfield

Honorable Mention

Goalie
Maggie Cook Fairfax
Lillian Brown West Springfield
Lilly Tolibas Robinson

Attack
Lindsay Atchinson South County
Sara Cordia Woodson
Morgan Peterson Woodson
Liv Curran Robinson
Krista Rodgers Faifax
Bailey Brown West Springfield
Abby Armstrong Lake Braddock
Lauren Dalrymple West Springfield

Midfield
Tatum Orlando Fairfax
Kate Torgersen Woodson
Makayla Im Fairfax

Defense
Maggie Curry Robinson
Aidan Echols West Springfield
Haleigh Morris West Springfield
Sophia Chausse Lake Braddock
Tori Rankin South County
Annie Reeves Woodson
Sabrina Fasold Woodson
Hannah Che West Springfield
Lexi White West Springfield
Katie Williams Woodson (Sorry missed her on the original post!)
Last edited by UnderArmourOdor on Fri May 17, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Nonsense or No Sense...

VirginiaTerp wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:30 pmThen the Laxon held the ball for most of the last two minutes before scoring with no time left.
VT was it inside THREE seconds?...just kidding! [Moderator: No your not, but you did put it in humor font.] Ugh, got to let it go!
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:20 am On the other hand, losing has consequences....UAO will remember, but I think in 2016 Langley lost to Madison in their District finals. That set them up to face Robinson in 2nd round of Regionals (elimination round). Robinson won 13-11 and Langley's season was over with arguably one of the top 2 teams in the state.
doc t is right that VHSL scheduling snafu drove robohobo (one of the most ardent Ram backers) to madness...I believe he is still protesting outside VHSL HQ demanding Robo's Championship be null and void.
VALaxer wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:26 am Scores I've heard from District title games last night...Madison 10 - Oakton 6
Didn't Oakton win the regular season game? Are we sure this game was really played? Is it played in the stadium without fans being allowed to attend due the coaching switch? Has this neighborhood rivalry become ho-hum that no one attends? Is it the wreckage of the former Oakton HS or is it the $2 sodas at Hawk Snack Nest keeping people away? Inquiring minds want to know.
GLAX Lurker

Cougars - Hawks

Post by GLAX Lurker »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:44 am Didn't Oakton win the regular season game? Are we sure this game was really played? Is it played in the stadium without fans being allowed to attend due the coaching switch? Has this neighborhood rivalry become ho-hum that no one attends? Is it the wreckage of the former Oakton HS or is it the $2 sodas at Hawk Snack Nest keeping people away? Inquiring minds want to know.
The game WAS played, and the rivalry IS strong. Both games were well attended. Pizza, Chick-Fil-A, and an array of beverages and snacks were served out of the makeshift snack shack at Oakton stadium making for a an enjoyable experience.

Oakton did win the regular season game... they had very few turnovers, and got some stellar GK play. The Cougars jumped out to a 4 goal halftime lead that the Warhawks could never claw back. Every time the Hawks scored, the Cougs answered.

For the district game last night, the story was reversed. Hawks jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first half after a couple of questionable yellows against the Cougs (my opinion of course). The Cougars pulled it back to 4-4 at halftime setting up a second half showdown. The Hawks came out firing in the second half and went on a 4-1 run in the first 10 minutes to make it 9-5. The Cougars could not crack the draw skills displayed by the Warhawk #6, nor could they break through the Warhawk backer defense often enough to come back. Hawks slowed it down for the last 10 min to seal the win.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Now we Know...

GL - Thanks for the updates both sound like they were barn-burners or couch-burner for our West VA readers. Sounds like we need the rubber match...

The best news...
GLAX Lurker wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:47 pm Pizza, Chick-Fil-A, and an array of beverages and snacks were served out of the makeshift snack shack at Oakton stadium making for a an enjoyable experience.
Last Question: Have they settled on a name for the snack shack...Fallujah Fast Food, Berlin '45 Bunker Bites or Kings Landing Hot Grub?
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

VirginiaTerp wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 pm I don’t know how VHSL devised a bracket where Liberty #2 Herndon plays Concorde #1 Madison and Concorde #2 Oakton plays Liberty #1 Langley in the quarterfinals, assuming Herndon gets by Osbourn Park and Oakton defeats Stonewall Jackson on Friday. The losers of those two games would already be out of contention for States.

Herndon vs Madison should be a very good game, but expected that as a semifinal matchup. Both of these teams were in the State Eight last year and thought they both would be there again. Why Herndon was given a harder path than Washington-Lee is crazy. Though if the Hornets can get by the Warhawks, could potentially see an All-Liberty final four.

Oakton has a tall order in having to beat the Saxons early next week. Someone in VHSL must not like them.
Anyone have links to the other Region full brackets to see how they compare?
VirginiaTerp

Northern Region Tourney starts today

Post by VirginiaTerp »

First round games ...

Stonewall Jackson at Oakton (Langley awaits winner)

Osbourn Park at Herndon (Madison awaits winner)

Westfield at Marshall

Chantilly at Washington-Lee (Battlefield awaits winner)

Yorktown at Patriot

Fill in your tournament brackets now. Pool winner gets Chick-Fil-A shake?
VirginiaTerp

Occoquan Region Tourney starts today

Post by VirginiaTerp »

First round games ..

Woodbridge at Hayfield (West Potomac awaits winner)

Hylton at Robinson

Annandale at Forest Park

Justice at South County (Woodson awaits winner)

West Springfield at TC Williams (Colgan awaits winner)

Fill in your tournament bracket now. Winner gets Chick-Fil-A fries?
helmetssoon

Re: Northern Region Tourney starts today

Post by helmetssoon »

VirginiaTerp wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:33 am First round games ...

Stonewall Jackson at Oakton (Langley awaits winner)

Osbourn Park at Herndon (Madison awaits winner)

Westfield at Marshall

Chantilly at Washington-Lee (Battlefield awaits winner)

Yorktown at Patriot

Fill in your tournament brackets now. Pool winner gets Chick-Fil-A shake?
Oakton, Herndon, Marshall, W&L, Yorktown. Expect 5+ goal differential in each match up.
VALaxer

Re: Occoquan Region Tourney starts today

Post by VALaxer »

VirginiaTerp wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:37 am First round games ..

Woodbridge at Hayfield (West Potomac awaits winner)

Hylton at Robinson

Annandale at Forest Park

Justice at South County (Woodson awaits winner)

West Springfield at TC Williams (Colgan awaits winner)

Fill in your tournament bracket now. Winner gets Chick-Fil-A fries?
Everyone can get a free one, as Hayfield beat Woodbridge 13-12 last night from what I hear.

Otherwise...

Robinson (+9)
Forest Park (+5)
South County (+6)
West Springfield (+3)
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:24 pm Otherwise...

Robinson (+9)
Forest Park (+5)
South County (+6)
West Springfield (+3)
Robinson 10+
FP 5+
SC 8+
WS 6+
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Robinson (+9)
Forest Park (+5)
South County (+6)
West Springfield (+3)
Robinson 10+
FP 5+
SC 8+
WS 6+

Well, the Robinson game was over early (running clock after 5) and I underestimated by alot. Hylton girls were clearly outmatched, but they gave it their all and never looked like they had given up. Congrats on the effort as it is hard to keep trying when losing by alot....Multiple Ram parents commented to me on the Hylton spirit.

Not sure why, but all Hylton girls wore helmets. First time I have seen that north of FLA.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Robinson (+9)
Forest Park (+5)
South County (+6)
West Springfield (+3)
Robinson 10+
FP 5+
SC 8+
WS 6+

Well, the Robinson game was over early (running clock after 5) and I underestimated by alot. Hylton girls were clearly outmatched, but they gave it their all and never looked like they had given up. Congrats on the effort as it is hard to keep trying when losing by alot....Multiple Ram parents commented to me on the Hylton spirit.

Not sure why, but all Hylton girls wore helmets. First time I have seen that north of FLA.
Sounds kind of like the other games tonight too.

West Springfield over TC Williams 16-2 :shock: , missed that by a bit. Heard it was running clock in 1st half, as it was 11-1 at halftime, and that was with the Spartans slowing it down late in the half.

South County over Justice. Not sure what the final ended up, but it was 13-6 at the half, so the sheriffs were at least putting up a fight offensively.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”