Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

In less important, but still confirming, news, Matt Schlapp and CPAC pay $480,000 to make the nut-grabber case go away. Matt then posts via social media that he was "exonerated;" plaintiff's counsel says he is violating the non-disparagement provision and that the posts are not, in any event, true; Schlapp takes posts down.

These people really are the dirtiest of people, wrapped in their faux religiosity and our flag.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Comer sums up the "evidence" from his and Jordan's impeachment inquiry, and the Post fact-checks it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... its-scant/

"In an interview Monday with conservative talk radio host Jimmy Failla, Rep. James Comer (R-Ky.), chairman of the House Oversight Committee, provided an unusually succinct description of his case against President Biden. House Republicans appear to have abandoned their impeachment drive against the president, which Comer has led, and instead may go straight to the Justice Department with criminal referrals.

Comer’s remarks provide a rough guide to what the House GOP may have in mind.

Here are the comments in full, with the relevant sections in bold type.

'Here’s the evidence, Jimmy. There’s ten different Biden family members that received incremental payments through 20 shell companies that received wires from, from at least five foreign countries that were for services that we have yet to determine. For nearly $30 million. And then according to the IRS whistleblowers, they didn’t pay a penny of taxes on it.

But this all revolves around Joe because not only have we proven Joe got $250,000, a quarter of $1 million of that money, but Joe met with all the people who were wiring the Bidens money even though he lied and said he never met with any of them; he met with all of them. At the end of the day, who are these people? They’re bad people in bad countries who were being investigated for corruption, who were needing pardons, who were needing access to Americans banks because they had sanctions put against them by the government. They all needed something from the government and they were paying for access to Joe Biden.'

Let’s dissect Comer’s comments.

‘Ten different Biden family members’

Documents and interviews released by Comer’s committee identified payments to Hunter Biden, the president’s son; Jim Biden, the president’s brother; Sara Biden; his sister-in-law; and Hallie Biden, his son Beau’s widow. Comer is also counting the president (more on that below). Committee staff say payments were also received by Melissa Cohen, Hunter’s current spouse; Kathleen Buhle, his ex-wife; and three minor children who are not being identified, adding up to 10. Even that is being generous to Comer’s theory, because virtually all of this money flowed to Hunter Biden. The others received relatively small amounts.

‘20 shell companies … for services that we have yet to determine’

This is false. As we have shown before, virtually all of the companies that received the funds in question had legitimate business interests — which shell companies by definition do not. Comer claims that it is not clear what Hunter Biden did to earn the money, when it is often quite evident. For instance, Hunter Biden earned millions as a board member of Burisma, a Ukrainian energy company. (Whether he was qualified for the post is another matter.) The committee rejects this analysis and says that the “majority of these companies did not provide services and the Bidens certainly did nothing of substance for these entities justifying millions of dollars in payment.”

‘Five foreign countries’

Comer is referring to payments from people or companies based in China ($6.5 million), Ukraine ($4 million), Romania ($1 million), and Kazakhstan ($142,300 from a businessman to Hunter Biden to pay for a Porsche sports car). The fifth country is Russia, but that requires an asterisk. The committee is counting a transfer of $3.5 million from Russian billionaire Elena Baturina. Hunter’s former business partner Devon Archer testified that that money was not intended for Hunter, as has Hunter. “That was Devon’s,” Hunter said in his congressional interview. “I never received a dime from Ms. Baturina. I didn’t have any involvement with her in any way.” The committee staff says “five” is a conservative figure that does not include other countries that were allegedly sources of payments, such as Panama and Cyprus.

‘Nearly $30 million’

The last time we investigated this matter, the committee could document between $11.7 million and $15.18 million in transfers to Biden family members. (The difference depends on whether you include Baturina’s $3.5 million.) The committee says the number now also includes loans to pay Hunter’s taxes and the sale of his artwork.

‘They didn’t pay a penny of taxes on it’

Hunter Biden faces a criminal indictment for failing to pay $1.4 million in taxes between 2016 and 2019. He has repaid these taxes in full, his attorney says. Jim Biden was hit with a tax lien in 2018, but it was paid off a year later, so it’s also wrong to say he didn’t pay a penny in taxes. Twenty-five years of Joe Biden’s tax returns are publicly available. Comer’s broad-brush wording suggests 10 Biden family members did not pay any taxes on whatever money was transferred to them. The committee staff did not explain this comment.

‘$250,000, a quarter of $1 million of that money’

Comer appears to be referring to the repayment of two interest-free loans — one for $40,000 in 2017 and one for $200,000 in 2018 — that Jim Biden received from his brother. The committee has suggested that Jim Biden repaid the loans with money he received from overseas, such as a Chinese company. Jim Biden has told congressional investigators that his brother was never involved in his business activities. There is no indication that Joe Biden knew the source of funding. The committee staff notes that Biden associate Eric Schwerin, who handles financial matters for the family, did not recall such loans during his interview with investigators.

‘Met with all the people who were wiring the Bidens money’

The committee had published a list of alleged Biden meetings but, again, even that shows Comer is making a sweeping generalization that Joe Biden met with all of these people. The committee’s list shows people from four countries (not Romania). The “meetings” include handshake greetings and being at the same table during a meal — though accounts vary on whether Joe Biden did more than a meet-and-greet. The committee staff acknowledges that Biden did not meet with Romanian businessman Gabriel Popoviciu, later convicted on bribery-related charges, but says he met with Romanian public officials around the time that money started flowing into Hunter Biden’s account for services connected to Popoviciu.

‘Bad people in bad countries’

Another sweeping generalization. The United States is a strong supporter of Ukraine in its war against Russia. Romania is described as a “steadfast ally” by the State Department, while the department says the United States and Kazakhstan have developed a “strong and wide-ranging bilateral relationship.” The committee staff notes that Comer did not identify what countries are bad.

‘Who were needing pardons … ’

The pardon reference is mysterious. The committee’s “Biden influence peddling timeline” makes no reference to any pardon being sought. The committee staff did not explain this comment.

‘... who were needing access to Americans’ banks because they had sanctions put against them’

Jason Galanis, a former Hunter Biden associate now in prison, testified that Baturina “was having trouble opening a U.S. bank account based on reports of her ties to criminal figures in Russia and corruption allegations related to her politician husband.” But she has never been sanctioned. Both Archer and Hunter Biden testified that she was Archer’s client and was not in business with Hunter. The committee also did not explain this reference."
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Michigan Republican State Representative Matt Maddock claimed Wednesday night that he had photo evidence of “illegal invaders” arriving at Detroit Metro Airport. It was….Gonzaga’s men’s basketball team flying in for March Madness.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm Michigan Republican State Representative Matt Maddock claimed Wednesday night that he had photo evidence of “illegal invaders” arriving at Detroit Metro Airport. It was….Gonzaga’s men’s basketball team flying in for March Madness.
:lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm Michigan Republican State Representative Matt Maddock claimed Wednesday night that he had photo evidence of “illegal invaders” arriving at Detroit Metro Airport. It was….Gonzaga’s men’s basketball team flying in for March Madness.
good lord. :roll: :oops:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm
They flew in on an Allegiant Air flight; State Rep took photos and immediately posted "evidence" of the diabolical plan to turf some brown folks in Detroit. This is, like it or not, the clarion call of the Trump era GOP.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm
They flew in on an Allegiant Air flight; State Rep took photos and immediately posted "evidence" of the diabolical plan to turf some brown folks in Detroit. This is, like it or not, the clarion call of the Trump era GOP.
... nope, no racism in the republiCON party.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Economic performance under Democrsts and Republicanss.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._ec ... tial_party

It should not surprise the results heavily favor Democrats. From GDP to reducing deficits relative to the economy to job creation and other factors. The GOP has been in office when 10 of 11 recessions began.

In order to cover up the starkness over the years they have tried to change the definitions of words used in various formulas eg GDPz

Fareed Zakaria recently pointed out historically that presidential approval ratings have tracked the economy. That is no longer true. For example the market tripod under Obama but his approval rating did not track. Neither does it under Biden. Tribalism has moved to the fore though that does not get the attention it should in the media
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

To spare every one the aggravation how about extending the topic of this thread.

Liberal Ideology...the other big lie. :|
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 pm To spare every one the aggravation how about extending the topic of this thread.

Start a thread. Make the argument.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 pm To spare every one the aggravation how about extending the topic of this thread.

There's already a "Progressive Ideology" thread. Try making a contribution of something other than "Joe is old" over there.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 pm

There's already a "Progressive Ideology" thread. Try making a contribution of something other than "Joe is old" over there.
That's the best argument you have counselor? Joe is not only old, he is a nasty, foul mouthed individual who verbally abuses his own dedicated staff. In your long legal career have you condoned or tolerated your staff being verbally abused and harassed?? Joe is not only just old counselor, he is despicable rotten SOB who pretends to be a kindly old man. He and trump have that in common. The one thing about trump is he doesn't attempt to hide the fact that he is a rotten SOB.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... he did make an argument. "Joe is a mean old man." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Apparently he thinks Bidden is the topic no matter what the actual topic. It could be worse. He could regale us with stories of picking up dog sh*t, or his time in the army, or what Patton thinks on a subject, or my own personal favorite, how much smart his wife is than he.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:54 am

... he did make an argument. "Joe is a mean old man." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Apparently he thinks Bidden is the topic no matter what the actual topic. It could be worse. He could regale us with stories of picking up dog sh*t, or his time in the army, or what Patton thinks on a subject, or my own personal favorite, how much smart his wife is than he.
So you think your smarter than your wife?? Have you ever told her that? FTR Joe is in reality a mean, nasty, ornery SOB. So do you mother f**k the people that work for you and then throw them out of your office? I give you a lot of credit. Your memory is still pretty good. When I post something you actually remember what I said. The forums resident raging RINO suffers from an advanced case of CRS. I have told him the same thing probably a dozen times and he still can't recall what I told him a dozen times. Have a good day doc, now get the eff out of my office you stupid bastard. That is my bad guy Joe imitation. ;)
I might as well take this opportunity to share some of Pattons wisdom. When he wanted to make his point stick he gave it to his soldiers loud and dirty. Ya gotta respect a general that let it hang out and pee in the Rhine River. Ike sure as hell would never have done that.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Yes, he’s on a perpetual loop.
And can’t remember how many times he’s repeated himself.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:00 am

I have to keep repeating myself if I have any chance of getting anything into your ultra thick raging RINO liberal Republican skull. :D Time for a bike ride keeper. Make sure you bring your phone with GPS and be sure to put on a fresh Depends.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:50 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:00 am

I have to keep repeating myself if I have any chance of getting anything into your ultra thick raging RINO liberal Republican skull. :D Time for a bike ride keeper. Make sure you bring your phone with GPS and be sure to put on a fresh Depends.
Loopy loop.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 156051007/

"Michigan U.S. Rep. Tim Walberg suggested that nuclear weapons should be dropped on Gaza, which his office said was a metaphor to “support Israel’s swift elimination of Hamas.”

“It should be like Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Get it over quick,” Walberg says in a video circulating on social media, referencing the Japanese cities that the U.S. dropped atomic bombs on at the end of World War II.

Walberg, a Republican from Lenawee County, also is heard in the video speaking out against humanitarian aid for those in the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian territory on the brink of famine after more than five months of Israel's war against Hamas, militant group that set off the conflict with its Oct. 7 attack on Israeli citizens, killing 1,200 and taking 240 hostages.

“We shouldn’t be spending a dime on humanitarian aid," Walberg said."

Republicans. He's also a pastor and a Christian. Of course.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

In important legislative news, a group of House Republicans have proposed legislation to Washington-Dulles, DC’s main international airport, renamed "The Donald J. Trump International Airport." The bill is being led by House GOP chief deputy whip Guy Reschenthaler (R-PA) and is co-sponsored by 6 other "lawmakers."

Maybe we can rename Reschenthaler "Riefenstahl."

Return to “POLITICS”