Centennial Conference 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ToeDipper78

Re: Centennial Conference 2024

Post by ToeDipper78 »

Who you got for midweek March 27 games?
Wash at Fords- Math says Wash wins 16-10 but Haverford are loco.
Swat at Mules- Swat should win cleanly but Muhlenberg will scare somebody when they play 4 quarters.
Dickinson at Dips- F&M couldn't get shots in last game despite winning every FO. Could get ugly in this game where they might win zero.
McD's at Getty- Bullets finally get a breather.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

ToeDipper78 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 am Who you got for midweek March 27 games?
Swat at Mules- Swat should win cleanly but Muhlenberg will scare somebody when they play 4 quarters.
Dickinson at Dips- F&M couldn't get shots in last game despite winning every FO. Could get ugly in this game where they might win zero.
Give me the shoremen 12-11 in OT
Mules upset Swat
Dickinson and Gburg take care of business
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

ToeDipper78 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 am Who you got for midweek March 27 games?

Washington vs Haverford- I liked what I saw out of the Shoremen last week in regards to the transition game and early offense. This week vs a Turbo Charged Haverford team Id like to see some patience. If they have that I think they can hit some shots. Im hoping the weather isnt as much of a factor. Washington 13-11

Swat vs Mules- The Mules are a good team with just not enough horses as they have had in the past. This was a blowout last year in Swats favor and I do not think that happens again. Swat opens conference play with an workman like victory. 14-9

Dickinson vs F&M- "F&Ming" is offically I thing. What an terrible performance in a game on the scorecard they dominated. Dickinson wont blow them out but I do not expect this to feel as close as the score. Dickinson 14-10

Gettysburg vs Western Maryland- Gettysburg is just better then the Terror(who I still think showed in the second half vs Washington, that they can be a pain) Bullets probably play alot of guys to rest some legs for their weekend matchup. Bullets 19-9
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:00 am Gettysburg vs Western Maryland- Gettysburg is just better then the Terror(who I still think showed in the second half vs Washington, that they can be a pain) Bullets probably play alot of guys to rest some legs for their weekend matchup. Bullets 19-9
Of all the college/university name or mascot rebrands, McDaniel was my least favorite. Western Maryland was clean, allowed for easy identification, promoted regional pride for their squads, and just generally sounded better.
Ash()kG

Post by Ash()kG »

Bullets/McDanks:
I agree that they should revert back to the Western Maryland name as an institution. Not sure who McDaniel is/was but he might want to hit the wall a little bit more. That being said, the Terror will hang tough early with their guy in cage. Bullets 15-6.

Swat/Mules:
After a week of PTO the Garnet should be well rested and likely have watched every bit of film there is on the Mules. Interesting how Gress has given his team so much time to prepare for big games this year (such as Amherst). This strategy could come back to bite him as they run into an improving Mules team that benefitted from a ‘Get Right’ game on Saturday. I expect this one to be close, as Swat switches gears in the second half after a slow start. Since Muhlenberg College has Friday and Monday off for Easter this weekend, and Swarthmore College doesn’t, I’ll give the Mules the edge. 13-12 Muhlenberg.

F&M/Dickinson:
Most people won’t give the dips a chance in this one. While I don’t either, they definitely got a wake up call last week. Hopefully Kelly got the team stick doctor to diagnose his symptoms because 3/24 shooting won’t work against the Red Devils. Overall, this matchup should be fairly competitive for 3 quarters, as F&M’s fogo is the real deal. 13-7 Dickinson.

WAC/Haverford:
My pick for game of the week. Both the offenses can score and both these defenses can get scored on. WAC is a little more balanced on offense and has more experience at Dmid. That being said, the bus ride from Chestertown to Philadelphia is a long one for a Wednesday night. Hopefully the Geese have their academics in order, it may be a late night if not.

Regardless, these teams traditionally play close, but WAC usually pulls it off in the end. I’m not sure who is going to cover Tietjen, but they will need an adaptable gameplan since he can feed and score at an elite clip. It may come down to what Abraham does in the cage, can he dominate like he did on Saturday? I’ll give Haverford the home advantage over the Sho’Men. Fords 15-13.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Kind of wild how many people are picking the Mules here. Give me Swat -6.5.

Mules are sub-0.500 at the dot, Garnet are cruising at 68%. Big upsets are hard enough to pull off when you can get the ball back after a goal every now and then.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Ash()kG wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:45 pm Bullets/McDanks:
I agree that they should revert back to the Western Maryland name as an institution. Not sure who McDaniel is/was but he might want to hit the wall a little bit more. That being said, the Terror will hang tough early with their guy in cage. Bullets 15-6.

Swat/Mules:
After a week of PTO the Garnet should be well rested and likely have watched every bit of film there is on the Mules. Interesting how Gress has given his team so much time to prepare for big games this year (such as Amherst). This strategy could come back to bite him as they run into an improving Mules team that benefitted from a ‘Get Right’ game on Saturday. I expect this one to be close, as Swat switches gears in the second half after a slow start. Since Muhlenberg College has Friday and Monday off for Easter this weekend, and Swarthmore College doesn’t, I’ll give the Mules the edge. 13-12 Muhlenberg.

F&M/Dickinson:
Most people won’t give the dips a chance in this one. While I don’t either, they definitely got a wake up call last week. Hopefully Kelly got the team stick doctor to diagnose his symptoms because 3/24 shooting won’t work against the Red Devils. Overall, this matchup should be fairly competitive for 3 quarters, as F&M’s fogo is the real deal. 13-7 Dickinson.

WAC/Haverford:
My pick for game of the week. Both the offenses can score and both these defenses can get scored on. WAC is a little more balanced on offense and has more experience at Dmid. That being said, the bus ride from Chestertown to Philadelphia is a long one for a Wednesday night. Hopefully the Geese have their academics in order, it may be a late night if not.

Regardless, these teams traditionally play close, but WAC usually pulls it off in the end. I’m not sure who is going to cover Tietjen, but they will need an adaptable gameplan since he can feed and score at an elite clip. It may come down to what Abraham does in the cage, can he dominate like he did on Saturday? I’ll give Haverford the home advantage over the Sho’Men. Fords 15-13.
sub 2 hour trip to the mainline is nothin for the sho'men!
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

SixBySix wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:38 pm Kind of wild how many people are picking the Mules here. Give me Swat -6.5.

Mules are sub-0.500 at the dot, Garnet are cruising at 68%. Big upsets are hard enough to pull off when you can get the ball back after a goal every now and then.
I suspect that this year the Mules will record more than 2 saves.
ShotGunTrad

Post by ShotGunTrad »

Dickinson will roll. Gettysburg will make this a highlight reel game. Shoreman will come up with a W. I think Swat has learned a few critical lessons leading into conference play. First, slow starts due to rushed possessions is not going to cut it. Watching them push the offense before even getting face off team off the field is simply selfish. They are seeing decent production in midfield especially between sophomores Almgren, Matson and Ohrman and that should be an adjustment to put points up. Second, still too many turnovers at attack, either pushing double coverage or simply dropping passes. Needs improvement to contend with Dickinson Gettysburg. The offense efficiency of this team is top 10 when they control the ball and pace. Goalie position may have settled in with solid showing since Amherst. Though a few fast break goals would be nice change. I think the biggest weakness is SSDM and LSM. Maybe things sorted out with the long break. 16-8 Garnet
Last edited by ShotGunTrad on Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CentennialPundit

Post by CentennialPundit »

HomerCoach wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:09 pm
SixBySix wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:38 pm Kind of wild how many people are picking the Mules here. Give me Swat -6.5.

I suspect that this year the Mules will record more than 2 saves.
once goalie save percentage gets to an extreme it’s not normally an indication of how well the goalie is playing, it’s an indication of the defense being outmatched
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Thank god we don’t bet on these games …..
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

ChopMan23 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:45 pm Thank god we don’t bet on these games …..
I mean, I'm feeling pretty good about my call :D
MrLacrosse

Post by MrLacrosse »

What a night of conference lacrosse. Swat squeaks out a win against the Mules in one that was probably closer than they would have liked. Dickinson handles F&M easily as the Dips look like a shell of themselves. A down Ursinus loses in a close out of conference matchup to Kean. Gburg cruises past another classic Western Maryland (not McDaniel) team. Fords blow the Geese out of the water like a hunter in a blind on the Chesapeake. Shaping up to be a very fun season
SlackBaller

Post by SlackBaller »

ShotGunTrad wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:07 pm Dickinson will roll. Gettysburg will make this a highlight reel game. Shoreman will come up with a W. I think Swat has learned a few critical lessons leading into conference play. First, slow starts due to rushed possessions is not going to cut it. Watching them push the offense before even getting face off team off the field is simply selfish. They are seeing decent production in midfield especially between sophomores Almgren, Matson and Ohrman and that should be an adjustment to put points up. Second, still too many turnovers at attack, either pushing double coverage or simply dropping passes. Needs improvement to contend with Dickinson Gettysburg. The offense efficiency of this team is top 10 when they control the ball and pace. Goalie position may have settled in with solid showing since Amherst. Though a few fast break goals would be nice change. I think the biggest weakness is SSDM and LSM. Maybe things sorted out with the long break. 16-8 Garnet

Almost everything I said about Swat was wrong leading up to that game. Unbelievably fortunate to win. Goalie play was not tight whatsoever. They need a serious look at selfish play. Turnovers by the same few. Numerous passes looked off for forced shots. First line midfield lacks any synergy. Gress should be chewing butts off. That was not a top 20 team performance
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

SlackBaller wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:17 pm
ShotGunTrad wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:07 pm Dickinson will roll. Gettysburg will make this a highlight reel game. Shoreman will come up with a W. I think Swat has learned a few critical lessons leading into conference play. First, slow starts due to rushed possessions is not going to cut it. Watching them push the offense before even getting face off team off the field is simply selfish. They are seeing decent production in midfield especially between sophomores Almgren, Matson and Ohrman and that should be an adjustment to put points up. Second, still too many turnovers at attack, either pushing double coverage or simply dropping passes. Needs improvement to contend with Dickinson Gettysburg. The offense efficiency of this team is top 10 when they control the ball and pace. Goalie position may have settled in with solid showing since Amherst. Though a few fast break goals would be nice change. I think the biggest weakness is SSDM and LSM. Maybe things sorted out with the long break. 16-8 Garnet

Almost everything I said about Swat was wrong leading up to that game. Unbelievably fortunate to win. Goalie play was not tight whatsoever. They need a serious look at selfish play. Turnovers by the same few. Numerous passes looked off for forced shots. First line midfield lacks any synergy. Gress should be chewing butts off. That was not a top 20 team performance
Swat is a very good team still. They are young and looking like they need to gel still on offense, but they are going to contend for the CC. Muhlenberg will be a thorn in the side for every opponent they face. They fought hard until the end and are a great team. They have a chance at taking that 4 seed and can upset 100% sneak into that championship game if teams don’t come ready to play.
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

Swat is a very good team still. They are young and looking like they need to gel still on offense, but they are going to contend for the CC. Muhlenberg will be a thorn in the side for every opponent they face. They fought hard until the end and are a great team. They have a chance at taking that 4 seed and can upset 100% sneak into that championship game if teams don’t come ready to play.
I'm on board with this...Muhlenberg played a gauntlet of OOC teams, and held their own while being extremely banged up. Wouldn't want to see them in the playoffs (especially if healthy.)
CentennialPundit

Post by CentennialPundit »

HomerCoach wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am
ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

I'm on board with this...Muhlenberg played a gauntlet of OOC teams, and held their own while being extremely banged up. Wouldn't want to see them in the playoffs (especially if healthy.)
Agree with both of these takes. Muhlenberg is better than their record and they have some solid players. Swarthmore has the talent to win the CC, and it shows when they play well. However they can’t seem to string together multiple quarters of good lax. Whether that’s the lineup, gameplan, or just bad luck I guess we’ll find out. Hoping they can live up to their potential this season but they’ve got to start playing good lax soon or they’ll run out of time. Hard to “flip a switch” when it becomes crunch time.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Happy Easter to all my Catholic friends out there. For us Pagans lets just enjoy the games and some candy.

Weekend picks

F&M vs Swat- This would be the game F&M somehow comes alive and wins. The Dips have the offensive talent to keep it close, but my question is are they already checked out staring down 0-2 possibly 0-3 in the conference. On the flip side this is a big one for Swat after a scare vs the Mules. Swat is still figuring out some things on both side of the ball and I do expect them to continue to get better. Its great to see Pat Gress have success after years of living in the cellar of the conference. Swat 14-8

Gettysburg vs Haverford- Well well well, I didnt expect this game to be a battle of 2-0 conference teams at the beginning of the year. Gettysburg flexed its muscle in the first half vs McDaniel and cruised to an 14-5 win. Haverford did the same vs a jadded Washington College team. Haverford's turbo charged transition game can either be really good or really bad depending on the day. I just think Gettysburg is bigger faster and stronger and will themselves take advantage of Haverford with an counter attack of their own. Bullets win 14-11

Dickinson vs St Marys- Dickinson tends to play this game close but i feel like the Seahawks are down this year. Devils enjoy a week off of conference play and win 15-10 in a "close but not really close one"

Ursinus vs Western Maryland- Both these teams need this. Ursinus struggled out of the gate this year before getting into a what looked like a groove but a midweek faulter vs Kean has me still trying to figure out how good they are. The Terror started red hot but this young team seems to have lost confidence in conference play. My heart says McDaniel but my head says Ursinus. Bears 15-9

Muhlenberg vs Washington College- I still think the Shoremen are better then their Wednesday night showing vs Haverford but they need to get back into the win column to keep pace in what seems to be an mess at the middle part of the conference. The offense must shoot the ball better and we need solid goalie play from the freshman goalie. On the flip side the Mules record does not represent have good this team is. They are battle tested and one of the most well coached teams in the conference. Unfortunately the Mules ruin my long weekend 16-10
ToeDipper78

Post by ToeDipper78 »

F&M vs Swat- Should be a close game. Neither team impressed last game. I'm picking F&M because Swat seems to be missing that thing from last year.
Gettysburg vs Haverford- Fords roller coaster continues as they run into a team too solid and skilled for them to handle. Bullets will generate turnovers of all kinds and roll, eating up possessions.
Dickinson vs St Marys- Dickinson gets the lead and build the lead all game.
Ursinus vs McD- U rolls no problem. McD had rough rough game on Wed, don't see much changing.
Muhlenberg vs Wash- Mules need a W and will get one. Their style is to make every game close, against any opponent, because of pace and shooting. Wash embarrassed last game but they're not that bad and will hang around.
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 am Happy Easter to all my Catholic friends out there. For us Pagans lets just enjoy the games and some candy.

Weekend picks

F&M vs Swat- This would be the game F&M somehow comes alive and wins. The Dips have the offensive talent to keep it close, but my question is are they already checked out staring down 0-2 possibly 0-3 in the conference. On the flip side this is a big one for Swat after a scare vs the Mules. Swat is still figuring out some things on both side of the ball and I do expect them to continue to get better. Its great to see Pat Gress have success after years of living in the cellar of the conference. Swat 14-8

Gettysburg vs Haverford- Well well well, I didnt expect this game to be a battle of 2-0 conference teams at the beginning of the year. Gettysburg flexed its muscle in the first half vs McDaniel and cruised to an 14-5 win. Haverford did the same vs a jadded Washington College team. Haverford's turbo charged transition game can either be really good or really bad depending on the day. I just think Gettysburg is bigger faster and stronger and will themselves take advantage of Haverford with an counter attack of their own. Bullets win 14-11

Dickinson vs St Marys- Dickinson tends to play this game close but i feel like the Seahawks are down this year. Devils enjoy a week off of conference play and win 15-10 in a "close but not really close one"

Ursinus vs Western Maryland- Both these teams need this. Ursinus struggled out of the gate this year before getting into a what looked like a groove but a midweek faulter vs Kean has me still trying to figure out how good they are. The Terror started red hot but this young team seems to have lost confidence in conference play. My heart says McDaniel but my head says Ursinus. Bears 15-9

Muhlenberg vs Washington College- I still think the Shoremen are better then their Wednesday night showing vs Haverford but they need to get back into the win column to keep pace in what seems to be an mess at the middle part of the conference. The offense must shoot the ball better and we need solid goalie play from the freshman goalie. On the flip side the Mules record does not represent have good this team is. They are battle tested and one of the most well coached teams in the conference. Unfortunately the Mules ruin my long weekend 16-10

13-12 OT St Mary’s lead most of the game. Dickinson had a good 3 qtr to go up. St Mary’s played Dickinson till the end. Wasn’t impressed by the #7 team in the country. Last years team was better. They were bigger and faster. This team is small and St Mary’s is a small team and made look big

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”