Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
middleAgedBear

Re: Brown 2024

Post by middleAgedBear »

Adjustments need to be made to offensive lineup. Can’t lean on a 17% shooter. There are other better options.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

middleAgedBear wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:27 pm Adjustments need to be made to offensive lineup. Can’t lean on a 17% shooter. There are other better options.
Starters and other regulars out today (some have been out longer): Attack #45. Mids #10 & #13. LSM #19. There may be more.

Agreed Bears need more options. But are there really any? I assume the best players are seeing the field- or were seeing the field before they got hurt. Even before the above went out the team was winless. Then either the systems in place are holding them back, or the recruiting is not keeping pace with the competition. As people have noted, 3 games in April 2022 are doing a lot of heavy lifting for the current staff. But 5 Ivy League games are left, so there's plenty of chances to shut me up! Yale next, scary offense, defense... let's say given recent trends double digit goals should be expected. If Brown can get possessions.
White Shoes

Post by White Shoes »

Lots of praise after UMass for physical d middies, etc, but you have to be under control and be smart

So now we know the best we can do this year is 500
Only 2 winning seasons since 2016
44-47 overall, since 2017 34-41
As noted above, the current system isn’t working
The kids deserve a better scheme that will allow them to be successful
Offense is stagnant and predictable
Maybe try some inverts, some off ball motion, some feeding from X, some inside cuts and feeding from up top something has to change
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:35 pm Just not good.
Great Brown work on man down: 'Nova only 1-7 on man up, otherwise the score would have been worse.
I'm not sure I have EVER commented on refs except for in some cases saying some were poor all-around or sometimes a crew may let a game get out of control, but 5 pushes on Brown and none on Villanova? In a game with over 30 turnovers? Real momentum breakers. On the other hand Villanova was assessed a questionable 2 min unreleasable penalty. Bears got only 1 goal out of it despite scoring it in the first 30-ish seconds.
I rewound several times. Just can't see a penalty on the play the Wildcat f/o guy got injured. Hope he comes back soon- good player.

Maybe Bruno can up its game Saturday against Yale the way they did against Maryland. But Yale's 60+ percent faceoff guy isn't out of the lineup the way the Terp's was.
Yes our D held Nova to 1-7 on EMO. We can’t keep giving our opponents this many opportunities. Yeah we held them to 1 goal but they ended up with 4 extra possessions because Nova only had 3 penalties.

Seems like every game we are in the box man down more than our opponents.

I know I have mentioned this multiple times, but we are NOT going to win games when we shoot at .224

Just to put this into perspective- the 50th ranked team in D1 is at .275

3 starters are shooting below .172

Only 2 players on team have double digit goals after 8 games.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

IL midseason O & D efficiency ranks article up.

They effed up the offense list: the offensive efficiency list is actually collated & ranked by non-adjusted offensive efficiency, with Brown 64th😬, but looking at the adjusted O efficiency numbers, which are not in order, they are better than that. Not saying good, just better than that.

Defense at #31.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

McLane 0/11. 5 SOG's. No Goals or Assists. Brown took 33 shots in total. A 3rd (33%) coming from McLane who still registered 0 goals or assists.

Brown staff created a problem with this kid. I think he's crafty and all- but his shooting percentage is sad. 5 people had points vs Nova. Those 5 players took 12 shots combined.
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:28 am McLane 0/11. 5 SOG's. No Goals or Assists. Brown took 33 shots in total. A 3rd (33%) coming from McLane who still registered 0 goals or assists.

Brown staff created a problem with this kid. I think he's crafty and all- but his shooting percentage is sad. 5 people had points vs Nova. Those 5 players took 12 shots combined.
And don't forget one of the goals was from a pole from midfield.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

BrownDad wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:39 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:28 am McLane 0/11. 5 SOG's. No Goals or Assists. Brown took 33 shots in total. A 3rd (33%) coming from McLane who still registered 0 goals or assists.

Yeah, but they don't run a motion O so they rely on dodges and... not many successful dodgers. So, the few guys who can dodge, shoot. Even if they are only kinda-sorta "hands free." Bears one of the best in the nation at tattooing fences. And they are down 2 of their top 6 Omids currently, although all teams have injuries. Look at this week's opponent; Yale is down 2 starting attack and is still putting up great numbers.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

BrownDad wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:39 am

Cave has been awesome. I know it's not nice to name players, but 43 isn't working out as he's currently being used. Maybe there's a different role? We scored 5 vs Villanova, a team that didn't look great; and 13 vs Maryland?!...Corsi had 3-4 goals vs Maryland. He's someone who should be shooting 10+ per game. Hughes too, and others.
White Shoes

Post by White Shoes »

After 8 games we don't have anyone with double digit assists. As noted above it is a find your own shot offense, and obviously that isn't working. Earlier this year LaxReference noted that last year when #43 had an assist we won like we did at Umass. When he didn't, we lost. Says a lot about what happens when we move the ball instead of having it die in one person's stick. Before the OMid injuries, those guys were 8 out of 49 shots, so it isn't like things were really cooking then either.
So if we want more O, we need to move the ball and move without the ball so we have someone to pass it to for a shot. This is all about coaching up the players to look for the openings, to make good passes, to make good cuts and recognize what the D is giving you, but the coaches first have to have a scheme that gives the players the best chance to be successful.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

White Shoes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:29 pm After 8 games we don't have anyone with double digit assists. As noted above it is a find your own shot offense, and obviously that isn't working. Earlier this year LaxReference noted that last year when #43 had an assist we won like we did at Umass. When he didn't, we lost. Says a lot about what happens when we move the ball instead of having it die in one person's stick. Before the OMid injuries, those guys were 8 out of 49 shots, so it isn't like things were really cooking then either.
So if we want more O, we need to move the ball and move without the ball so we have someone to pass it to for a shot. This is all about coaching up the players to look for the openings, to make good passes, to make good cuts and recognize what the D is giving you, but the coaches first have to have a scheme that gives the players the best chance to be successful.
The definition of insanity:

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

I know when I was playing this confounded game (very poorly), I had a high school coach who everyday would say to us offensive guys, "if your standing around, no one needs to cover you, so either CUT to the net, or set a damn PICK".

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:48 pm I know when I was playing this confounded game (very poorly), I had a high school coach who everyday would say to us offensive guys, "if your standing around, no one needs to cover you, so either CUT to the net, or set a damn PICK".

Gobigred
Joewillie78
When Vince Lombardi first started coaching football at Fordham, he showed up to the first day of practice without any footballs. The players asked him where the balls were.

Lombardi asked his players,” how many players are on the field at any one time?” They said 22.

He then said, “the ball is only in one player’s hand at any time. That leaves 21 players without the ball.”

“we are going to work on what the other 21 players are doing without the ball!”

Same holds true for lacrosse!
Last edited by Brownlax on Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Well here's something positive: Saturday mostly sunny, high 55°!
Uhhh... wind 10-20.
Uhhh... uhhh... don't forget the Stevenson-Pincince deflator: subtract ~ 7°, add ~ 7mph to generic weather forecast.
👍🏻 :?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Just a bit of history with the new IL schedule order

Before 2006 the Brown schedule could vary slightly (like '08/'09 below) but the general order from ? thru '06 was:
Y, H, UP, D, C, PU Generally the finish was C, PU with any changes before those games.

2007:
D, Y, H, UP, C, PU

2008 & 09:
D, Y, UP, H, C, PU

2011 thru 2023 pretty sure no changes:
H, PU, UP, Y, C, D For 2010 flip C & D

Closing years with C & PU reflect, I think, the rivalries at the time, when the Starsia & early Lasagna teams were Ivy forces. '11-'23 schedule reflects the historical rivalries of the major Ivy lacrosse teams in C & PU, and Harvard/Yale which has always been 'a thing'.
I don't know what the new schedule is about. Maybe we'll have a period of shuffling like '06-'11.
Laxnation

Post by Laxnation »

White Shoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:49 pm Lots of praise after UMass for physical d middies, etc, but you have to be under control and be smart

So now we know the best we can do this year is 500
Only 2 winning seasons since 2016
44-47 overall, since 2017 34-41
As noted above, the current system isn’t working
The kids deserve a better scheme that will allow them to be successful
Offense is stagnant and predictable
Maybe try some inverts, some off ball motion, some feeding from X, some inside cuts and feeding from up top something has to change
Defense is not the problem, face off's are not the problem, goalie is not the problem, clearing is not the problem, talent at midfield is not the problem. They definitely lack talent at attack and do not have a QB or a threat of any kind behind the net but I would have to believe that one of their midfielders could do a much better job at attack and help the team dramatically. Coaching is the main problem for several reasons. The offensive coaches do not know how to utilize the talent they have, the offense is predictable and easy to defend, players are undisciplined with stupid turnovers and they don't seem to value fast ball movement. I don't blame 43 for his bad shot selection or his incredibly bad shooting percentage, that is on the coaches for allowing it to happen week after week after week. Having said all of that, I still think they have enough talent to win some games, it just sucks that the offensive coaches are putting the team at a disadvantage. Stop tinkering and start coaching!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Faceoffs Yale 25, Brown 4
And the amazing thing is, more than a few were contested, ball-on-the-ground. Yale won almost every one.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

How many stick checks on Yale FOGO?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:12 pm How many stick checks on Yale FOGO?
😂 Not enough!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Laxnation wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm Coaching is the main problem for several reasons. The offensive coaches do not know how to utilize the talent they have, the offense is predictable and easy to defend, players are undisciplined with stupid turnovers and they don't seem to value fast ball movement.
Not trying to be a dick from another school here, but wasn't Daly supposed to be some sort of D3 offensive genius who'd won multiple titles? Hired to continue Tiffany's run-&-gun style that was one foot away from a D1 national championship? Have I got all that wrong, or is D1 just too different a nut from D3? (Genuinely asking)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”