Liberty League 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
richard

Re: Liberty League 2024

Post by richard »

Endicott, Babson,Middlebury,Williams too. come on man you’re a NESCAC guy, what does that say?
ah23

Post by ah23 »

richard wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:44 pm Endicott, Babson,Middlebury,Williams too. come on man you’re a NESCAC guy, what does that say?
As I indicated, four of their wins are against good (ranked) opponents!

I obviously don't think a 19-goal loss means that Union is some kind of fraud; those wins matter. The Babson win in particular continues to get better, especially after they worked Bowdoin tonight. However, I do think Union is hard to get a read on because those four games were a) tossups that could have gone either way (as was the 13-12 Springfield win) b) against teams that currently rank #17, #18, #19, and #20 in the D3 poll.

In short...I can't tell if Union is actually a top 10 team or if they're a high teens/fringe top 20 team that had things bounce their way a lot early in the season. If this game is a one-off and they play St. Lawrence/RPI/RIT competitively or steal one/multiple of those games, it'll be easier to see them as the fourth team in a legit LL Big Four that can all make serious postseason runs. If those games look anything like today's...no shot.

TL;DR: it's hard to get a great read on Union because their resume is entirely close wins over #17-#20 and their biggest/most challenging games haven't happened yet. No one should bury them just because of one bad game, but it at least brings up some questions. Fair?
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

ah23 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:22 pm
richard wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:44 pm Endicott, Babson,Middlebury,Williams too. come on man you’re a NESCAC guy, what does that say?
Comeon man. Those teams? Good? Then take each one and articulate why they’re actually “good,” and I mean this actual year. Not citing a preseason rankings that was made before anyone saw a roster or actually knew what these teams would be. Explain how those teams are ACTUALLY good.
ah23 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:22 pm I obviously don't think a 19-goal loss means that Union is some kind of fraud; those wins matter.
Did you watch the game? It was 15-1 at the half. If coach Air Jordan was half the d**k everyone who’s ever met him says he is, it would’ve ended 30-2. But you’re right, wins vs Williams, Middlebury, and Endicott are what matters, not the game actually being discussed.
ah23 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:22 pm The Babson win in particular continues to get better, especially after they worked Bowdoin tonight.
This right here is where you (and the NESCAC as a whole) lose a lot of people. Using games vs each other, and transitives vs common opponents, as proof positive of prowess. These teams were over-rated. Middlebury’s results prove that. Bowdoin, despite their record, doesn’t have a SOS that would indicate them deserving of where they are ranked. So to inflate Babson because they beat Bowdoin, in order to use transitive properties to enhance another NESCAC team given their defeat of Babson, is disingenuous at best.
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

ah23 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:23 pm
richard wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:07 pm There record vs good teams was 7-0.
Three of their seven wins are against 0-8 Springfield (by one goal), 3-6 Muhlenberg, and a 4-4 Clarkson team that doesn't have a single win over even an average opponent. Come on.
Liberty League fan here and your point is valid. Someone opined “why is Union ranked so high” ? The simple answer is past accomplishments and an unblemished record. The truth is as you state…..a rather pedestrian record against inferior competition. Tufts exposed Union for he “paper tiger” they are. Next weeks coach’s poll should adjust for tonight’s beat down and drop Union into the 15-20 range where they belong. Although Tufts lost by six to RIT, they are still very dangerous and will be a tough out over the remainder of the season. Liberty League still has three legitimate contenders, but tonight exposed Union as a pretender. Similar to Middlebury and Bowdoin from the NECEAC.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

richard wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:28 pmNeither.
I mean, it says something.

Union is (was) a top 10 team; 24-5 is a pretty prodigious beatdown.

Two years ago, Union beat Tufts and it (rightfully) signaled that Union belonged in the discussion of teams that might be around on the final weekend. And they were.

I'd have to think that this drubbing tells us the same, but in reverse.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:04 pm
Comeon man. Those teams? Good? Then take each one and articulate why they’re actually “good,” and I mean this actual year. Not citing a preseason rankings that was made before anyone saw a roster or actually knew what these teams would be. Explain how those teams are ACTUALLY good.
ah23 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:22 pm I obviously don't think a 19-goal loss means that Union is some kind of fraud; those wins matter.
Did you watch the game? It was 15-1 at the half. If coach Air Jordan was half the d**k everyone who’s ever met him says he is, it would’ve ended 30-2. But you’re right, wins vs Williams, Middlebury, and Endicott are what matters, not the game actually being discussed.
ah23 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:22 pm The Babson win in particular continues to get better, especially after they worked Bowdoin tonight.
This right here is where you (and the NESCAC as a whole) lose a lot of people. Using games vs each other, and transitives vs common opponents, as proof positive of prowess. These teams were over-rated. Middlebury’s results prove that. Bowdoin, despite their record, doesn’t have a SOS that would indicate them deserving of where they are ranked. So to inflate Babson because they beat Bowdoin, in order to use transitive properties to enhance another NESCAC team given their defeat of Babson, is disingenuous at best.
This is exhausting.

On the rankings thread you have Bowdoin at 13, and Babson at like 18. Union at 8. Please reconcile.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

He is here to be a clown, trying logic is futile.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:04 pm
I've met Coach AJ numerous times and he's actually a great guy! In fact, after reading several of your posts, I might venture to say you are the d**k here...time will tell...might have to rename you choochooRichie!! :lol: :lol:
choochooCharlie

pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:35 am He is here to be a clown
callaxdad wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:35 pm I might venture to say you are the d**k here...
Now that’s not very nice!

Why not just respectfully disagree with my assessments?
Middlebury was highly overrated.
Bowdoin was highly overrated.
The NESCAC is down relatively big this year.

Williams, of all teams, is actually looking pretty sharp through 3 vs CNU.
liongoes

Post by liongoes »

Why are you going off about the NESCAC on the Liberty League board...
choochooCharlie

liongoes wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:08 pm Why are you going off about the NESCAC on the Liberty League board...
Did you even bother to read the last page and a half of posts (you know, the ones BEFORE I even posted anything)?

Don’t just read these individuals calling someone a troll and assume it’s factual, that’s just their response to a different viewpoint. These guys were in here arguing NESCAC before I said a peep, now I’m a troll for having an opinion.

Now THAT is exhausting.
richard wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:44 pm
ah23 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:23 pm
richard wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:07 pm
SouthieLax wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:50 pm
richard wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:28 pm
Low2high22 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:59 pm Don't know whether this says more about Tufts or Union
Neither.
Why is that Richard?
Tufts isn’t that good. I saw them look very pedestrian last week vs RIT. And Union isn’t that bad. There record vs good teams was 7-0.
Three of their seven wins are against 0-8 Springfield (by one goal), 3-6 Muhlenberg, and a 4-4 Clarkson team that doesn't have a single win over even an average opponent. Come on.
Endicott, Babson,Middlebury,Williams too. come on man you’re a NESCAC guy, what does that say?
liongoes

Post by liongoes »

I see people talking about Liberty League teams and their resumes by talking how they did vs different teams, some nescac some not. Maybe you meant to quote something else, maybe those individuals are just right about you 🤷
choochooCharlie

liongoes wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:02 pm I see people talking about Liberty League teams and their resumes by talking how they did vs different teams, some nescac some not. Maybe you meant to quote something else, maybe those individuals are just right about you 🤷
Right. And I stated that Babson’s resume in this comparison was being misjudged based on their performance vs NESCAC foes who I believe are over-rated.

I was then called a d**k and a troll. To which I said they could always just respectfully disagree, followed by reiterating my opinion that drew their ire.

I didn’t (and still don’t) see the need to quote posts that are quite literally right on this page for you to plainly see. Based on that, it appears that you just are here to continue the name calling. So have at it.
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

Ultimately, despite all this intriguing back and forth, there are only about 3 teams who have a realistic shot to actually win the National championship. I’ll give a couple more upstarts a chance to make some noise, but if you aren’t one of the usual suspects I don’t think it’s happening. Seems like a very top heavy year to me. Mostly a lot of parody among 6-20.

All this is just a little bit tedious discussing if a team should be ranked 15th or 22nd and if that’s “overrated.”
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:36 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:35 am He is here to be a clown
callaxdad wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:35 pm I might venture to say you are the d**k here...
Now that’s not very nice!

Why not just respectfully disagree with my assessments?
Middlebury was highly overrated.
Bowdoin was highly overrated.
The NESCAC is down relatively big this year.

Williams, of all teams, is actually looking pretty sharp through 3 vs CNU.
Hey, you were the one who started the name calling ccR!! Calling the Tufts guy Coach Air Jordan is cute, kinda humorous. However, making ad hominem attacks is totally out of line. That was “not very nice”, a total d**k comment IMO.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:21 pm Ultimately, despite all this intriguing back and forth, there are only about 3 teams who have a realistic shot to actually win the National championship. I’ll give a couple more upstarts a chance to make some noise, but if you aren’t one of the usual suspects I don’t think it’s happening. Seems like a very top heavy year to me. Mostly a lot of parody among 6-20.

All this is just a little bit tedious discussing if a team should be ranked 15th or 22nd and if that’s “overrated.”
Pretty spot on. We can quibble over whether it’s three, four or five who have a reasonable shot but I would say Salisbury is the clear favorite at this point. Not head and shoulders above the rest but, certainly the favorite rn. Lotta lax left!!
choochooCharlie

callaxdad wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am Hey, you were the one who started the name calling ccR!! Calling the Tufts guy Coach Air Jordan is cute, kinda humorous. However, making ad hominem attacks is totally out of line. That was “not very nice”, a total d**k comment IMO.
Something is off with how this is written.
Stop rage typing and take your meds…

This isn’t the venue.
choochoo out.
STICKIT

Post by STICKIT »

https://tewaaraton.com/watch-lists/
Congrats to two Liberty League Players added to the list.
I count only 4 D 3 players on the men's list.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

choochooCharlie wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am
callaxdad wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am Hey, you were the one who started the name calling ccR!! Calling the Tufts guy Coach Air Jordan is cute, kinda humorous. However, making ad hominem attacks is totally out of line. That was “not very nice”, a total d**k comment IMO.
Something is off with how this is written.
Stop rage typing and take your meds…

This isn’t the venue.
choochoo out.
LOL!! Whatever, DOCTOR choochooRichie!!
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

Enough of this NESCAC nonsense! Let’s get back on topic.

While the RIT Tigers are the undisputed Kings of the Liberty, I find it interesting that RPI has had the only relative success vs RIT compared to the rest of the conference. RPI is 4-11 vs the Tigers since 2010 while the rest of the Liberty League teams are a combined 2-91. Those two wins were Clarkson in 2017 and Ithaca in 2016 when the Bombers weren’t in the Liberty League. St Lawrence and Union are a combined 0-40 vs RIT since 2010. I’d say Union has been the second most successful team in the Liberty since RIT has joined, but RIT has just dominated the matchup.

Curious on hear others opinions on the topic? Would love to see RIT dethroned this year (though I still think it is overwhelmingly theirs to lose) and hoping the Engineers are the team to do it!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”