ODAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Re: ODAC 2024

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

If I try to be objective, W&L, Lynchburg and about 8 other teams you can throw a hat over. On Any given day teams 5-15 can beat one another. In game adjustments, scouting, preparation are at a premium. If you told me Hadley would be over 60% against CNU I’d say Lburg grabbed the win, he was over 70% for 3/4 of the game against CNU. Whoever executes better on game day will probably win they are so evenly matched. Having Beatty Barringer and Burns back will be critical. Some must haves are, 50% plus on face offs and in the goal, play a clean game, gbs, penalties , clears , take care of the ball. If these guys played 10x I think they’d split 50-50. Sorry for stating the obvious.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:39 pm If I try to be objective, W&L, Lynchburg and about 8 other teams you can throw a hat over. On Any given day teams 5-15 can beat one another. In game adjustments, scouting, preparation are at a premium. If you told me Hadley would be over 60% against CNU I’d say Lburg grabbed the win, he was over 70% for 3/4 of the game against CNU. Whoever executes better on game day will probably win they are so evenly matched. Having Beatty Barringer and Burns back will be critical. Some must haves are, 50% plus on face offs and in the goal, play a clean game, gbs, penalties , clears , take care of the ball. If these guys played 10x I think they’d split 50-50. Sorry for stating the obvious.
the problem for w&l is the losses to york and stevenson. looks like neither will be ranked anymore.
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&L gets a crack at CNU and I’m assuming Lynchburg 2x. York loss hurts, hoping Stevenson goes on run. Getting tight but I think if W&L and Lynchburg split between them they have a shot at a pool C. York obviously has to win its conference. Crazy season, only goes to show how much talent is out there.
ODACguru

Post by ODACguru »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:51 am Is W&L the favorite this year to take the ODAC? Lynchburg doesn't look as dominant as they have in the past.
Hah. Not so sure about that. Got to think Coach Rostan’s boys are licking their chops for Saturday. My pick is still Lynchburg
bmorelaxer

Post by bmorelaxer »

MarionBarry wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:11 am Caught a good amount of the hsc-rmc game, rmc dominated the stat lines except for the one that counts, the scoreboard. Cant shoot 0-21 in the second half, thats not good. Rmc looked sloppy with bad simple turnovers. I agree with a previous post, they didn't rise to the occasion. Hats off to hsc, they made the plays to win the game when they had too. Both teams get worked by w&l next week I'm my opinion.
Well we already know you are 0-1 on predictions with the result of last nights contest. What makes you think macon is better than hsc after they LOST to them on saturday?
Hardhat

Post by Hardhat »

bmorelaxer wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am
MarionBarry wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:11 am Caught a good amount of the hsc-rmc game, rmc dominated the stat lines except for the one that counts, the scoreboard. Cant shoot 0-21 in the second half, thats not good. Rmc looked sloppy with bad simple turnovers. I agree with a previous post, they didn't rise to the occasion. Hats off to hsc, they made the plays to win the game when they had too. Both teams get worked by w&l next week I'm my opinion.
Well we already know you are 0-1 on predictions with the result of last nights contest. What makes you think macon is better than hsc after they LOST to them on saturday?
I think RMC did not show up against HSC and HSC is currently the better team. I wouldn't be surprised if they play again that it would be tight game. RMC losing by 2 to W&L was an awesome showing. RMC is a good squad this year and makes ODAC interesting. They will have Lynchburg on April 13 and I am sure that LC will want to get them back for last year.

Shenandoah also beat interstate 81 rival Bridgewater in a game that could decide the 6/7 seed for the play in game, which is always a fun competitive game.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Should be two good games this weekend.
W&L vs Hampden Sydney - Will the Generals be at full strength? They played without a few starters vs RMC on Wednesday but still took care of business. It would be a statement win for Hampden Sydney if they can get the W. Not sure if this one will top the 4 OT thriller of last season but I suspect it will be a close game.
Lynchburg vs Amherst - The Hornets are searching for a big win. They came close against CNU. Playing at home should help. This would be nice for the ODAC if they can win. I'm calling 10-9 Lynchburg.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

JustOneTime wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 pm Should be two good games this weekend.
W&L vs Hampden Sydney - Will the Generals be at full strength? They played without a few starters vs RMC on Wednesday but still took care of business. It would be a statement win for Hampden Sydney if they can get the W. Not sure if this one will top the 4 OT thriller of last season but I suspect it will be a close game.
Lynchburg vs Amherst - The Hornets are searching for a big win. They came close against CNU. Playing at home should help. This would be nice for the ODAC if they can win. I'm calling 10-9 Lynchburg.
The game is neutral site at UPENN.
Amherst by 3-4
Dehuntshigwa’es

SaltCounty wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 pm [quote=JustOneTime post_id=533875 time=<a href="tel:1711739446">1711739446</a> user_id=3997]
Should be two good games this weekend.
Amherst by 3-4
[/quote]
SaltCounty wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 pm
JustOneTime wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 pm Should be two good games this weekend.
Amherst by 3-4
Generals have been missing 4 key starters. Love to see even just one of them back on the field of play. Despite injuries I think the Generals manufacture the win behind significant possessions from their fogo. I might be mistaken but didn’t HSC throw up a zone in their season opener. If so, I’m curious how W&L will react to that. D3 competition from the top 5-15 ranked teams this year has been brutal. Unless you bring your A game to each contest you may wind up disappointed. W&L/HSC play each other tight( unless several starters return) with W&L pulling away in the 4th.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Great day of lacrosse in store. Lots at stake today.

Looking forward to W&L and HSC. Injuries suck. Hoping full roster available for the Generals.
I agree with VAlax that the team will become better with the bench getting experience v RMC. That depth practicing all week should tighten them up and FO’s and Defense should prevail. It’s an important one. W&L at home takes this one
HSC continues to be that 2-3 with NOKE and am always impressed by their competitiveness. Love ya W&L fans but rooting for HSC to upset.

LYN brutal schedule continues at UPenn right after their Cornell game. The event supporting Headstrong and Hope for Hallie .orgs. Wasn’t originally but now will be televised on Utube thanks to Amherst.
Seems the Northern teams always seem to have the South’s # (Except for Da Gulls of course).
Hanging on to the belief that Coach K is on the right path coaching his the largest ever 58 man roster. The depth in SSDMs running 3 lines and running 3 LSM’s have started to pay dividends. 3rd pole Harlacker in boot was a loss but #6 Ulrich fitting in. He’s a big presence with range. Through 3Q’s at CNU defense looked much improved and gave Hadley shots in spots they want. Riley Mitchell injury was another setback and think he’s played back into shape and the offense has found balance. Kraus on FO’s has been very good against stiff competition. With another week of practice, film and coaching for this group I’m thinking they’re at the point it all needs to come together today.
The TO’s and clearing are biggest concern. A win today and they take momentum back home for the W&L game next week..
LaxDad39

Post by LaxDad39 »

W&L pulls it out against Hampden-Sydney. W&L missing some of their top starters. Playing too many freshmen in high-stress games. What happened to playing their experienced players? The old McCabe always played his experienced players, freshman never saw the field in such tight games. I wonder if he is actually running the team or maybe he handed the rains to Mendoza. The next game is a big one against Lynchburg, they are gonna need their experienced players and missing starters back. Good to see Burns back for this one. Great job by Bou at the faceoff dot.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:42 am Great day of lacrosse in store. Lots at stake today.

Looking forward to W&L and HSC. Injuries suck. Hoping full roster available for the Generals.
I agree with VAlax that the team will become better with the bench getting experience v RMC. That depth practicing all week should tighten them up and FO’s and Defense should prevail. It’s an important one. W&L at home takes this one
HSC continues to be that 2-3 with NOKE and am always impressed by their competitiveness. Love ya W&L fans but rooting for HSC to upset.

LYN brutal schedule continues at UPenn right after their Cornell game. The event supporting Headstrong and Hope for Hallie .orgs. Wasn’t originally but now will be televised on Utube thanks to Amherst.
Seems the Northern teams always seem to have the South’s # (Except for Da Gulls of course).
Hanging on to the belief that Coach K is on the right path coaching his the largest ever 58 man roster. The depth in SSDMs running 3 lines and running 3 LSM’s have started to pay dividends. 3rd pole Harlacker in boot was a loss but #6 Ulrich fitting in. He’s a big presence with range. Through 3Q’s at CNU defense looked much improved and gave Hadley shots in spots they want. Riley Mitchell injury was another setback and think he’s played back into shape and the offense has found balance. Kraus on FO’s has been very good against stiff competition. With another week of practice, film and coaching for this group I’m thinking they’re at the point it all needs to come together today.
The TO’s and clearing are biggest concern. A win today and they take momentum back home for the W&L game next week..
Great win for the Hornets. Let it get a bit close at the end, similar to my Gennies, but got the W.

valaxfan
LILaxGuy08

Post by LILaxGuy08 »

What did the Shenandoah do to Roanoke to piss them off?!?

I was checking box scores and Roanoke took 83 freaking shots!

Is that normal for these ODAC games with top tier playing lower tier?
ODACguru

Post by ODACguru »

LILaxGuy08 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:12 am What did the Shenandoah do to Roanoke to piss them off?!?

Very nomal for Pilate to pull a dbag move like that.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

ODACguru wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:30 pm
LILaxGuy08 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:12 am What did the Shenandoah do to Roanoke to piss them off?!?

When you have rosters of 50+ and the kids at the bottom of the depth chart are getting in for the 1st time this season, it is hard to tell them to hold back.
Cyborg Reticulan

Post by Cyborg Reticulan »

Huge week in the ODAC as we have a showdown between W&L and Lynchburg. W&L coming off a scrappy win vs Hampden-Sydney and Lynchburg finally breaking the seal versus a top opponent in the country. Both coming off W's but who wants the next one more? 2 matchups that will be key for this game will be Henri Marindin guarding Hillis Burns the lengthy lefty. These two battled each other last year. On the other side of the ball I believe we'll see Jed Heald guarding Riley Hastings. Ground balls, Clearing, and special team play will be the key factors for the game and like I said earlier, whoever wants it more will come out on top.

Thoughts on picks for the game?
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

JPAtlantic wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:13 am

When you have rosters of 50+ and the kids at the bottom of the depth chart are getting in for the 1st time this season, it is hard to tell them to hold back.
I agree with your general sentiment, other than in the most extreme situation I would not blame this scenario on the coach. Some of these kids don't get to play much and they should have the freedom to play as hard as they want when they get a chance. It's funny to see folks tell kids who don't play much to try harder if they want playing time, and then when they get in a game and try hard they're told they're trying too hard. :lol:
Specifically as to roster size, Roanoke's roster is 49 this season, and I think that's the biggest roster the program has ever had. Pilat usually keeps it around 45, he is selective about who plays for him. I think that's the way it should be - rosters at some schools have ballooned to 55-70 kids at the DII and DIII levels recently, which is somewhat understandable in the wake of Covid, but nonetheless pretty ridiculous. How do those kids even get reps in practice? If you keep your roster under 50 kids, it means two things: 1) you're not just putting heads in beds, and 2) you believe in your own ability to evaluate talent and believe in the kids you've asked to play for you.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Cyborg Reticulan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:30 am Huge week in the ODAC as we have a showdown between W&L and Lynchburg. W&L coming off a scrappy win vs Hampden-Sydney and Lynchburg finally breaking the seal versus a top opponent in the country. Both coming off W's but who wants the next one more? 2 matchups that will be key for this game will be Henri Marindin guarding Hillis Burns the lengthy lefty. These two battled each other last year. On the other side of the ball I believe we'll see Jed Heald guarding Riley Hastings. Ground balls, Clearing, and special team play will be the key factors for the game and like I said earlier, whoever wants it more will come out on top.

Thoughts on picks for the game?
I think Lynchburg at home under the lights will get the win, 13-11. W&L has a nice face off tandem that should hold a slight edge. W&L has had a few injuries so not sure if they will be at 100%. If the W&L D middies have a good game they could neutralize the strong Lynchburg midfield. I think Lynchburg has the biggest advantage at the Goalie position. If Hadley has his normal solid game then to me that is the difference.

Roanoke Vs Hampden Sydney is another good game. It has been a while since the Maroons have played a good team. Hampden Sydney has shown they will not back down to anyone. Roanoke has a Freshman at FOGO who has been getting better and their wing play has been solid of late. Kilfeather for HSC can change the game. The Roanoke midfield is deep. The Maroons attack unit is balanced so you can't just take away Kammerman. I'm very interested to see this game. I like Roanoke 15-12.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:35 am

I agree with your general sentiment, other than in the most extreme situation I would not blame this scenario on the coach. Some of these kids don't get to play much and they should have the freedom to play as hard as they want when they get a chance. It's funny to see folks tell kids who don't play much to try harder if they want playing time, and then when they get in a game and try hard they're told they're trying too hard. :lol:
Specifically as to roster size, Roanoke's roster is 49 this season, and I think that's the biggest roster the program has ever had. Pilat usually keeps it around 45, he is selective about who plays for him. I think that's the way it should be - rosters at some schools have ballooned to 55-70 kids at the DII and DIII levels recently, which is somewhat understandable in the wake of Covid, but nonetheless pretty ridiculous. How do those kids even get reps in practice? If you keep your roster under 50 kids, it means two things: 1) you're not just putting heads in beds, and 2) you believe in your own ability to evaluate talent and believe in the kids you've asked to play for you.
Blame the 2 year Covid relief players were granted. Coaches recruited players as juniors. Most coaches could not anticipate how many might play as grad students, how does a coach tell a grad not return? How does he tell a recruited player not to come because grads are returning? Blame NCAA for this one, maybe grant current freshman an extra year because of extra grad students, lol it would never end.
bmorelaxer

Post by bmorelaxer »

Yeah and when Pilate shows a ton of class by keeping the starting attack in through the 3rd quarter to pad their stats. What an a**hole :lol:

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”