Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Chousnake

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by Chousnake »

Ezra White wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:15 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:10 pm Great and specific summary as always, VF! I was going to post a thought before I read yours. Generally, I think that this week's rankings are quite fair. Based on what I saw on Saturday, this team has the potential to make it to the Final Four if all cylinders are firing and players stay healthy.

In respect to comments about defense, looking at our defense holistically, I was impressed on Saturday. Players were making their slides, we had some very effective double teams and caused turn-overs. Tully made some great saves. I didn't see very many pure defensive "let downs" that seem to have been an occasional issue in the Princeton and PSU games. Most goals scored by Yale were based on pure talent in terms of "impossible angle" shots, pure power shots and excellent dodging. Brandau is really a great player.

The only real shortcoming that I saw on Saturday against Yale were occasional difficulty in clearing and (while I don't have the statistics in front of me), it seemed that Yale was more effective at contested ground balls.

Go Big Red!
I couldn't watch the PSU game, but from others' descriptions and what I've seen since, our D is making steady improvement. I have to believe that Jorden Stevens has been largely responsible for the improvement. Just look at how often the shot clock became a factor in the Yale game. If I am correct, this is great news for the Big Red because our defense is improving by leaps and bounds. If this is due to the defense is being coached up, as I believe, then each week should see our defense becoming more and more formidable.
I'm not contesting that the Cornell D has struggled, but it has not been as bad as appears. The biggest factor in the PSU game was goaltending. Fraycon was lights out (almost 70%) and Knust and Tully really struggled (18% through 3 quarters I believe). That tilted the score from a 2-3 goal game to a blowout. As for the Yale game, Cornell led 17-11 late and began taking time off the clock while Yale got desperate. Yale scored 2-3 goals more than they would have in a closer game.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

We lost two long time defensive leaders in Adler and Ierlan from last year, it’s reasonable for on field coordination to build through the season. Davis out the last two games has perhaps slowed the process but still seeing improvement. I think Tully will develop into the defensive leader over this year and perhaps a big reason he’s getting the starting role. Follows is excellent but not sure he will step into on field coordination like Adler and Ierlan did. Adler was not only a great individual defenseman but was also an excellent on field leader.

Two numbers that stand out for Penn is man up efficiency and goal tending. Stay away from the penalty box and continue good shot selection with assisted goals. Will be interesting to see if Psyllos will start strong or still use early face offs to learn what works against his opponent.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

RedIvy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:03 am We lost two long time defensive leaders in Adler and Ierlan from last year, it’s reasonable for on field coordination to build through the season. Davis out the last two games has perhaps slowed the process but still seeing improvement. I think Tully will develop into the defensive leader over this year and perhaps a big reason he’s getting the starting role. Follows is excellent but not sure he will step into on field coordination like Adler and Ierlan did. Adler was not only a great individual defenseman but was also an excellent on field leader.

Two numbers that stand out for Penn is man up efficiency and goal tending. Stay away from the penalty box and continue good shot selection with assisted goals. Will be interesting to see if Psyllos will start strong or still use early face offs to learn what works against his opponent.
I don't think Irelan would be starting over Tully or Knust.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:04 am I don't think Irelan would be starting over Tully or Knust.
Knust was saving it at 48% and then got benched a quarter into his fifth game. Prior to this season his career save percentage was like 40% across 8 games.

Tully is at 47% and has been below 50 in every game except against Hobart.

Meanwhile Chayse is at 55% for Hopkins and has been above 50 in 7/9 games including vs. Virginia, Cuse, and Georgetown.

Earlier in this thread someone said Knust would be a "massive upgrade" over Ierlan. I didn't say anything at the time to see how it'd play out. Maybe that guy would be right. That doesn't appear to be the case though.

Don't really understand some Cornell fans' bitterness toward Ierlan. He is on record saying he would have preferred to stay at Cornell if it was possible. He chose Hopkins because he wants to be a teacher and the school has a good graduate education program. His other top option was Duke. I get his play tailed off toward the end of last year but he was still 52% on the season (and 52% for his career), and was excellent down the stretch in 2022 to help the Big Red to the championship game. There is no universe in which he would not have been the starter at Cornell this season and frankly it's weird that you'd even suggest it.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

I agree, especially considering the longer term. I also think Tully can take the defensive leadership Adler had (or at least part of it, big shoes to fill).
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

I’m not sure year over year save percentage is a fair comparison considering the loss of Adler on Defense. My guess is Tully and Knust save percentage would be higher if Adler was playing this year. My view is Tully is the future with great potential.
semsox

Post by semsox »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:32 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:04 am I don't think Irelan would be starting over Tully or Knust.
Knust was saving it at 48% and then got benched a quarter into his fifth game. Prior to this season his career save percentage was like 40% across 8 games.

Meanwhile Chayse is at 55% for Hopkins and has been above 50 in 7/9 games including vs. Virginia, Cuse, and Georgetown.

Earlier in this thread someone said Knust would be a "massive upgrade" over Ierlan. I didn't say anything at the time to see how it'd play out. Maybe that guy would be right. That doesn't appear to be the case though.

Don't really understand some Cornell fans' bitterness toward Ierlan. He is on record saying he would have preferred to stay at Cornell if it was possible. He chose Hopkins because he wants to be a teacher and the school has a good graduate education program. His other top option was Duke. I get his play tailed off toward the end of last year but he was still 52% on the season (and 52% for his career), and was excellent down the stretch in 2022 to help the Big Red to the championship game. There is no universe in which he would not have been the starter at Cornell this season and frankly it's weird that you'd even suggest it.
I don't think there's any bitterness towards Ierlan, so much as there's a clear-eyed view of his ability, which I think a lot of people in this thread feel is an above-average goalie who is going to keep you in games, but will not necessarily be making game-turning saves by himself.

I have been very bullish on Tully, and feel the staff has been doing the right thing by transitioning to him and letting him grow in the role. While I don't agree with laxfan1313's assertion that Tully would be playing over Ierlan at this point, I do think there's some very strong similarities in their early career:

To wit, in 2019, Chayse started on the bench behind Caelahn Bullen (as Tully started behind Knust). Chayse played sporadically in relief of Bullen before taking over the starting role against Towson in the 5th game of the season. Here is how Chayse faired in those early season games:

4 GA vs. 5 saves in ~20 minutes against Hobart
13 GA vs. 11 saves in ~50 minutes against Penn State
11 GA vs. 10 saves in 1st start against Towson
16 GA vs. 15 saves in 2nd start against Yale
1 GA vs. 1 save in ~20 minutes against St. Bonaventure (in a game that quickly moved to back-ups getting some time)
16 GA vs. 15 saves in 4th start against Penn

After this somewhat inauspicious start, Chayse finished the season with 136 GA vs. 158 saves (.537%). All this is to say, I would be very surprised if Tully finishes the year at the current 47% he's sporting, and think he has quite a bit of potential to really turn things on as the year progresses, which will then serve as the foundation for his next 3 years in net.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

semsox wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:04 am

I don't think there's any bitterness towards Ierlan, so much as there's a clear-eyed view of his ability, which I think a lot of people in this thread feel is an above-average goalie who is going to keep you in games, but will not necessarily be making game-turning saves by himself.

I have been very bullish on Tully, and feel the staff has been doing the right thing by transitioning to him and letting him grow in the role. While I don't agree with laxfan1313's assertion that Tully would be playing over Ierlan at this point, I do think there's some very strong similarities in their early career:
Saying Knust, whose career numbers behind the same defense Ierlan played behind were not good, would be a "massive upgrade" over Ierlan strikes you as clear-eyed? Is saying a 4-year starter and grad student would be playing behind said player really an objective analysis of his ability? It's bizzaro land. You don't have to be the biggest Ierlan fan in the world to recognize those assertions do not compute with reality. Seems like the opposite of clear-eyed to me.
semsox

Post by semsox »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:24 am
semsox wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:04 am

Saying Knust, whose career numbers behind the same defense Ierlan played behind were not good, would be a "massive upgrade" over Ierlan strikes you as clear-eyed? Is saying a 4-year starter and grad student would be playing behind said player really an objective analysis of his ability? It's bizzaro land. You don't have to be the biggest Ierlan fan in the world to recognize those assertions do not compute with reality. Seems like the opposite of clear-eyed to me.
I think this is a mischaracterization of the overall general tenor of the goalie conversation in this thread. Most of the reports were hopeful that Knust and Tully would be able to step in and at least play to the level that Ierlan had, if not be a little bit better. The only reference I found to a 'massive upgrade' was the below post, which described a 'huge upgrade' from someone who is not a regular Cornell poster. I don't think there's much more to be had in discussing this, except suffice it to say that the Cornell fans are likely pretty content with the overall current and future state of Goalie play for the team.
CoachBeard wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:28 am
VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:10 am Cornell scrimmaged Albany this weekend. Given that UA is not on the schedule this year, they are a good team to fine-tune things against, prior to the season opener.
Any feedback on how the boys looked?
Caught the scrimmage against Albany and Cornell looked really good (and I'm not a Cornell fan). I agree with most of the other writeup on the scrimmage, but a couple of points I would add...
Also, it not sure how this will hit with the Cornell faithful, Knust is a huge upgrade over Chayse Ierlan. IMO, while Chayse was really good at getting the ball upfield after the save, as a stopper he is average at best (and he was abysmal the last part of 2023). His last name is the only reason he was honorable mention AA last year. Knust, on the other hand, was outstanding - granted it's only one game but he made three point blank saves and saved just about every outside shot.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

RedIvy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:37 am I agree, especially considering the longer term. I also think Tully can take the defensive leadership Adler had (or at least part of it, big shoes to fill).
There are lots of good points in this debate, but I don't want to quote them here because IMHO they are partly a sidetrack from RedIvy's point.

A lacrosse goalie has three primary jobs: (1) stopping shots, (2) initiating clears, and (3) directing (conducting) the defense by talking to defensive teammates.

#3 is the point people seem to be overlooking. I think it's naive to think Tully shouting to Follows, "That's it Jack: stick-on-stick, but watch out for the pick on your right."

Even if these are the words Matt shouts, a inexperienced first-year player simply doesn't have the authority or effect that a seasoned, proven player who has played on the team for a while has.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

According to Massey, JHU's defense is 4th ranked while Cornell's is 27th. JHU's SOS is better 2 vs 7. Adler made Ierlan better. Tully is holding his own without Adler. This is quite subjective. Obviously Ierlan has more experience. I guess Rule, Mackesey, Schimoler, McMonagle & Knight spoiled me!
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Ezra White wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:55 pm
RedIvy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:37 am I agree, especially considering the longer term. I also think Tully can take the defensive leadership Adler had (or at least part of it, big shoes to fill).
There are lots of good points in this debate, but I don't want to quote them here because IMHO they are partly a sidetrack from RedIvy's point.

A lacrosse goalie has three primary jobs: (1) stopping shots, (2) initiating clears, and (3) directing (conducting) the defense by talking to defensive teammates.

#3 is the point people seem to be overlooking. I think it's naive to think Tully shouting to Follows, "That's it Jack: stick-on-stick, but watch out for the pick on your right."

Even if these are the words Matt shouts, a inexperienced first-year player simply doesn't have the authority or effect that a seasoned, proven player who has played on the team for a while has.
Thanks, my intent was to suggest that part of the difficulties on defense might be due to the loss of the tenured field leadership of Irelan and Adler ( I meant this as a compliment to both) and that this may be improving. I am also suggesting I agree with the coaching staff to bring Tully into the regular starting role. He was the number one goalie recruit and number 7 overall for 2023. His early play looks very promising in all three jobs referenced above.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

I agree that Ierlan would be the starting goalie over Tully had he been able to stay another season at Cornell. There is no way a freshman would start in goal over a 5th year player who started and played well the previous 4 seasons. I also think that Ierlan went to Hopkins because Milliman is the coach and Cornell fans harbor bitterness towards Milliman for the timing and manner of his leaving Cornell for Hopkins at the outset of the pandemic when everything at Cornell was in turmoil. Cornell hired him on a leap of faith with a pretty thin resume in 2018 and he stayed for merely two seasons and left when the school had a hiring and wage freeze and when his players did not know what was happening with their lax or academic careers. I know I will have a hard time rooting for him for a long time if ever, and I don't feel the same way about Tambroni.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I don't agree on Milliman. His resume was no thinner than Tambroni's or DeLuca's or Kerwick's at the time of his elevation to HC, and Andy Noel still stuck him with an interim tag for the first year (which I thought was an idiotic move: either commit or run an immediate search!). And a good coach leaving an Ivy for a school where the sport is better supported and/or you can make more money is hardly unusual: see Petro, Starsia, Tillman, Tierney, Tiffany, and yes Tambroni.
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

+1
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:02 pm I don't agree on Milliman. His resume was no thinner than Tambroni's or DeLuca's or Kerwick's at the time of his elevation to HC, and Andy Noel still stuck him with an interim tag for the first year (which I thought was an idiotic move: either commit or run an immediate search!). And a good coach leaving an Ivy for a school where the sport is better supported and/or you can make more money is hardly unusual: see Petro, Starsia, Tillman, Tierney, Tiffany, and yes Tambroni.
I get it. I am being too hard on Millliman and looking at things through Carnelian glasses I guess.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:02 pm I don't agree on Milliman. His resume was no thinner than Tambroni's or DeLuca's or Kerwick's at the time of his elevation to HC, and Andy Noel still stuck him with an interim tag for the first year (which I thought was an idiotic move: either commit or run an immediate search!). And a good coach leaving an Ivy for a school where the sport is better supported and/or you can make more money is hardly unusual: see Petro, Starsia, Tillman, Tierney, Tiffany, and yes Tambroni.
I agree, and in reality, we could also say that Buczek/Stevens at time of elevation was relatively thin in the resume department, but yet here we are with 2 of the best young coaches in the game, who will probably move onto a "bigger" program and thrown gobs of money.

As a Cornell fan, I have accepted this and I continue to be amazed that when our coaches leave, that we are able to replace them with great coaches.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The high-production first-years (Goldstein and Nikolic) return to their home town of Philadelphia this weekend. Penn might be the toughest defense that Cornell has faced all year. Penn's games thus far have been relatively low scoring affairs. Goalie Emmet Carroll is saving an average of 60% of shots faced, and close defender Peter Blake was Ivy Defensive POW last week. It should be quite a battle.

GO BIG RED!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

faircornell wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am The high-production first-years (Goldstein and Nikolic) return to their home town of Philadelphia this weekend. Penn might be the toughest defense that Cornell has faced all year. Penn's games thus far have been relatively low scoring affairs. Goalie Emmet Carroll is saving an average of 60% of shots faced, and close defender Peter Blake was Ivy Defensive POW last week. It should be quite a battle.

GO BIG RED!
Great challenge for the Big Red, who seemingly upped their game, once league play started. Besides those 2 freshman, who have been playing at an elite level, we also have Gilmartin, who has been stellar defensively, and of course our Goalie, who from my eye test, does not play like a freshman.

Penn obviously is a great team, having taken down then #1 Duke. Our offense in my opinion, at times is unstoppable, but Penns defense may prove me wrong as this defense is elite with a superb goaltender.

Good luck to both teams, as like with the Princeton and Yale games, I'm sure we are in for another classic Ivy contest.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

joewillie78 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am
faircornell wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am The high-production first-years (Goldstein and Nikolic) return to their home town of Philadelphia this weekend. Penn might be the toughest defense that Cornell has faced all year. Penn's games thus far have been relatively low scoring affairs. Goalie Emmet Carroll is saving an average of 60% of shots faced, and close defender Peter Blake was Ivy Defensive POW last week. It should be quite a battle.

GO BIG RED!
Great challenge for the Big Red, who seemingly upped their game, once league play started. Besides those 2 freshman, who have been playing at an elite level, we also have Gilmartin, who has been stellar defensively, and of course our Goalie, who from my eye test, does not play like a freshman.

Penn obviously is a great team, having taken down then #1 Duke. Our offense in my opinion, at times is unstoppable, but Penns defense may prove me wrong as this defense is elite with a superb goaltender.

Good luck to both teams, as like with the Princeton and Yale games, I'm sure we are in for another classic Ivy contest.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
And Firth! 3rd in points... 15G & 5A for 20 points. At least 2 points every game this season.

5 freshman studs getting quality time. Good things for the future.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”