Best Examples Of DI Coaches Who Do More With Less?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: Best Examples Of DI Coaches Who Do More With Less?

Post by coda »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:29 pm Toomey has a nice advantage of Van Arsdale at asst HC.

Going to also vote for Alberici at Army. I know what the other poster said about scholarships (which they don’t have but I know what he meant) but along with that comes a lot more that mid majors don’t even come close to. Plus if it were just the scholarship aspect, USNA & USAFA should be better.
It is double-edged sword. Academies are signing big classes every year and covering the cost of attending. Its an advantage. Navy should be better. I think they are under-performing. Air Force is a bit different. Most guys want Army or Navy and AFA is generally the 3rd choice. Not to mention their history in lacrosse is clearly inferior to USNA and Army. Flip side is Academies will not appeal to everyone. Its definitely complicated. I havent thought it though, but off the top of my head I think Army and Navy are top 15 programs all-time.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Apoligize.......thought this was about a more "adult " themed topic.

carry on.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:46 pm Coaches that get very few, if any, blue-chip recruits but yet are successful and regularly battle talented to much more talented programs to the end. And sometimes even win.
If you're going to do this post seriously you post the chart that shows what each program spends per year, the number of wins, and the number of ncaa tournament wins. There's your answer. Syracuse for example spends the most I think at $2.8 million a year, most of the rest of the other acc and bigger big ten programs I think are at $2.2 million with some of the ivies, big east and patriot league at $1.8 million or so.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Prediction. Providence coach Bobby Benson, who is in his second year as the Friars' leader, will be mentioned in such discussions in the near future.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

gymman1031 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:48 pm Prediction. Providence coach Bobby Benson, who is in his second year as the Friars' leader, will be mentioned in such discussions in the near future.
He recruited very well at Homewood, winning and developing players were other matters.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Charley Toomey and his staff get my vote.

Loyola has done more with less for a very long time. They play lacrosse the way lacrosse should be played. And their student cheering section is second to none.

Toomey belongs in the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:35 pm Charley Toomey and his staff get my vote.

Loyola has done more with less for a very long time. They play lacrosse the way lacrosse should be played. And their student cheering section is second to none.

DocBarrister
Toomey has had the advantage in the PL for years being fully funded vs many teams that are not. Playing in Baltimore hot bed. Easy to recruit. MIAA best high school league around right in his back yard. Lacrosse only facilities.
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:35 pm Charley Toomey and his staff get my vote.

DocBarrister
totally agree. He has been doing it forever.

Post by 1766 »

Army and Navy have some disadvantages and some real advantages. Their funding is almost unlimited. They have far more than 12.6 scholarship level athletes on the team. Stashing guys at their prep academies is another advantage. Army as an example has conveniently omitted from their players bios their attendance at MAPS. However, that you can easily see by the gap in the year they graduated from high school to their first year in WP that they were at the academy. You'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of players that didn't prep. That's a big advantage. The disadvantage for academies is the rigor of going there clearly isn't for everyone.
Finster

Post by Finster »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:34 pm Apoligize.......thought this was about a more "adult " themed topic.

carry on.

^^^underrated post 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Finster

Post by Finster »

DocBarrister

Would agree
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

And, here is a question regarding Toomey's work in 2012. When is the next time we will see a team win it all without a roster that is loaded with 4* and higher recruits? I would say it could be awhile.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm And, here is a question regarding Toomey's work in 2012. When is the next time we will see a team win it all without a roster that is loaded with 4* and higher recruits? I would say it could be awhile.

Yale in 18
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Tillman from 2011 to 2015 (3 national finals and a F4) before his recruiting kicked in
Toomey, Shay, Chemotti, Marr
Lars at Brown
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Turnandrake wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm And, here is a question regarding Toomey's work in 2012. When is the next time we will see a team win it all without a roster that is loaded with 4* and higher recruits? I would say it could be awhile.

Yale in 18
They may not have had many players who were 5*. But they had several who were 4*.
socalref

Post by socalref »

Going to throw in Justin Turri at St John’s. Now 4-7 with their first Big East win in a long time.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

socalref wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:13 pm Going to throw in Justin Turri at St John’s. Now 4-7 with their first Big East win in a long time.
Good call! Excited to see what happens when he has more of his own players.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”