D1 Mens Lacrosse
QuestionMark

BU-Duke moved to Noon EST

Post by QuestionMark »

Due to rain in Durham
molo

Re: BU-Duke moved to Noon EST

Post by molo »

BU took down AWP when the Knights were ranked 1. Duke rebounded with a win over Denver after being held to 4 in the Dome. Can the Terriers pull off a second upset, or does will Duke unveil the offense that they seem capable of unleashing?
Always fun to see the best lsm ply his trade. 55 must be in the best shape of any player who roams the middle of the field. He doesn’t rest much.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Boston came to play. Up 3-2 at the end of Q1.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

9-8 Duke after Q3. Weather delay currently. Very muddy field.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Lightning delay now, one goal game in the third, think it was 9-8 Duke.
Mighty sloppy conditions.
Heading to the Dome shortly to watch the Cuse girls play Loyola (coming in
undefeated). Not gonna bring my umbrella, gonna be nice in there. :D
DMac

Post by DMac »

Back in action, 9-9 beginning of 4th.
Finster

Post by Finster »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:04 pm Back in action, 9-9 beginning of 4th.

I hope God and Duke don’t punish me for this, but I REALLY want BU to win.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:04 pm Back in action, 9-9 beginning of 4th.
I hope God and Duke don’t punish me for this, but I REALLY want BU to win.
Helps Navy look better... ;)

Commentators are pretty darned good as well.

Duke escaped that failed clear
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 pm but I REALLY want BU to win.
BU wins for my buddy, he took BU and the points.
You don't get any of those though.
gunnerz

Post by gunnerz »

Duke wins 11-10.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Can't wait for the Ref Defenders to explain this one. This was the last faceoff of the game, which Duke obviously won. Naso is at nearly a 45-degree angle, hovering over the ball, and gets set there.

This is what the NCAA rulebook says:

"The official shall make certain that the reverse surfaces of the crosses match evenly, are perpendicular to the ground, and the ball is positioned in the middle of the head of the crosse...If a player is not positioned properly the official shall call that player for a violation and award the ball to the opponent. There is zero tolerance for a player not positioned properly to begin the faceoff."

Welp, seems like there's some tolerance, actually.

And no, this screenshot wasn't captured mid-faceoff. It was taken right before the whistle. Both players were set and frozen in those exact positions. I didn't go back to check if other faceoffs were similar, but I wouldn't be surprised. If refs aren't going to officiate the faceoff, they need to take it out of the game. Embarrassing.
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

^^

He's rolling in, it's common, it's usually subtle and it's a hard thing for refs to catch. Both refs are positioned behind the draw guys -- neither has a view down the line. The ref doing the spot check is backpedaling out before the whistle ... difficult for him to pick up gradual movement when he too is on the move.

Certainly neither wants to make a call in that situation unless they are 100% sure.

Face-off guys are clever.
Finster

Post by Finster »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:30 pm
Finster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 pm but I REALLY want BU to win.
BU wins for my buddy, he took BU and the points.
You don't get any of those though.

I’m gonna go listen to some country music by Mikey Powell, I’m so depressed.

Why BU?!?!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

EasyRider wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:03 pm ^^

He's rolling in, it's common, it's usually subtle and it's a hard thing for refs to catch. Both refs are positioned behind the draw guys -- neither has a view down the line. The ref doing the spot check is backpedaling out before the whistle ... difficult for him to pick up gradual movement when he too is on the move.

Certainly neither wants to make a call in that situation unless they are 100% sure.

He didn't roll into it after the ref was backing out. He immediately went into that position to get set. He was never in any other position. It was straight to 45-degrees, hovering over the ball, right from the jump. That's how he was lined up from the beginning.

If it's really that hard to catch then either the ref should consider an easier line of work or they should just get rid of the rule and let the FOGOs do whatever they want. Not sure what the point of the "zero tolerance" rule is if they can't or won't enforce it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:12 pm

He didn't roll into it after the ref was backing out. He immediately went into that position to get set. He was never in any other position. It was straight to 45-degrees, hovering over the ball, right from the jump. That's how he was lined up from the beginning.

If it's really that hard to catch then either the ref should consider an easier line of work or they should just get rid of the rule and let the FOGOs do whatever they want. Not sure what the point of the "zero tolerance" rule is if they can't or won't enforce it.
Agreed, I was going to snag a picture as well. He is setting up like this.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Re-watched it, you're both correct!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:51 pm Image

Can't wait for the Ref Defenders to explain this one. This was the last faceoff of the game, which Duke obviously won. Naso is at nearly a 45-degree angle, hovering over the ball, and gets set there.

This is what the NCAA rulebook says:

"The official shall make certain that the reverse surfaces of the crosses match evenly, are perpendicular to the ground, and the ball is positioned in the middle of the head of the crosse...If a player is not positioned properly the official shall call that player for a violation and award the ball to the opponent. There is zero tolerance for a player not positioned properly to begin the faceoff."

Welp, seems like there's some tolerance, actually.

And no, this screenshot wasn't captured mid-faceoff. It was taken right before the whistle. Both players were set and frozen in those exact positions. I didn't go back to check if other faceoffs were similar, but I wouldn't be surprised. If refs aren't going to officiate the faceoff, they need to take it out of the game. Embarrassing.
ah huh.....

specifically THIS issue.......is a simple fix. Have Drones......or that "skycam" that one of our former PResidents invented....have AI break it down...

n$aa rule book has lots of stuff that "says".

besides, can't speak for others, but FOGO 101......IS, all about where the zebra's are going to be......

But, in all seriousness, you gotta add another on field official, if you want to watch ALL stuff.

tough for LL, also the FJ....to be concerned with their primary function...GOAL coverage.....and fogo's stick at 83 degrees.

Heard the average age of officials......nationwide......is 56. interesting.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:12 pm

You think that stick head is at 45 degrees.........hopefully you don't build our buildings.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
QuestionMark

Post by QuestionMark »

Really good game considering the conditions. Rough slash call got Duke up 7-6 then missed a head shot a minute later. Duke went up 9-6 and thought it was won. BU clawed back and could have gone either way.

Too bad PL is going to be likely a one bid league. Feels like they are going to get the Big East basketball treatment.

Colgate beats Penn State
Army beats Cuse
Loyola beats GTown
Navy beats Hop
molo

Post by molo »

Carpenter played close d today, 44 and 7 splitting time at pole. I didn’t see the Denver game. Was this adjustment due to an injury, something specific to BU, or just because the coaches feel that the best close lineup is 33, 5, and 29 and that 44 and 7, who in the past backed up 33, are too good for one of them to sit?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”