Baltimore: A Shining Star

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Baltimore: A Shining Star

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:30 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:38 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:30 pm Thanks. Never heard it.
We understood one another, but’inside’ joke.

Obviously, Roland Park is a very nice area, with all sorts of desirable aspects, including schools both private and public. It also has some fraught history of redlining but that’s another topic.

I’m still trying to decipher your earlier post, presumably typed on a phone.
Redlining was wide spread locally and nationally with adverse comsequences still playing out
Not to mention highways splitting cities in half intentionally.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:42 am

Obviously, Roland Park is a very nice area, with all sorts of desirable aspects, including schools both private and public. It also has some fraught history of redlining but that’s another topic.

Redlining was wide spread locally and nationally with adverse comsequences still playing out
Indeed not to mention. I am more out of the loop now but i believe they want to take it out. There were some great bars on the west side eg Underground (biggest dice game in the City, Gandy Dancer ( The real IRA would pass the black beret on St Pattys and the Elgin Lounge ( The Monroe Bros). Not in places many folks would go
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:35 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:42 am

Indeed not to mention. I am more out of the loop now but i believe they want to take it out. There were some great bars on the west side eg Underground (biggest dice game in the City, Gandy Dancer ( The real IRA would pass the black beret on St Pattys and the Elgin Lounge ( The Monroe Bros). Not in places many folks would go
Need a new Michael Collins! Or at least Shane McGowan.

It’s all over the SE too. Raleigh, CLT, Atl, Orlando, BHam etc. Atlanta is trying to figure out how to put the city back together now with all the growth and its difficult, expensive and leading to suboptimal solutions
See Martin, Malcolm
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Yes indeed.
Roland Park's redlining persisted well after the government-approved such had ended.
The consequences of Baltimore's redlining are pretty clear in where we see persistent poverty and all that comes with such ghettoization.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:11 pm Just please go away. I mentioned redlining not to dismiss but rather as to recognize that history.

Back to ignore.
Which history? of Baltimore?

How many lacrosse players, of African decent, played on your sons teams ?

How many of those same demographic, do, or will, we see parading around the CLUB circuits in 2023 ?

exactly

Baltimore.....IS....lacrosse, yes?

You wanting to "ignore" that history....is oh, so, convieant . ....just, after....YOU bring that subject up :lol: :lol: :lol:

stay classy, back to ignore
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I demand you pay attention to me or else you are BAD MAN!
See Martin, Malcolm
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:22 am I demand you pay attention to me or else you are BAD MAN!
:D

To answer our ranter's question though, I had only one black player on my team back in the '70's, he went on to play for Harvard.

My son's teams had multiple most years.

But definitely underrepresented relative to regional population. Lacrosse continues to be stubbornly underrepresented despite significant efforts. My dad was involved with the first public city middle school program in Baltimore, in the '80's, sponsored by the Lacrosse Foundation. He was on its BD as Treasurer. He was instrumental in getting the Abell Foundation's additional support...I helped out in the 90's a bit as a BD member. My son was involved in the inner city club program with Trilogy, coaching a team at age 15 (I drove) of middle schoolers at a community center in East Baltimore. Games on the weekends at Patterson Park. He continued that involvement into college. Great experience.
DocBarrister

Gov. Wes Moore: Does Any Potential Presidential Candidate Have a Better Resume?

Post by DocBarrister »

As is my usual custom, I was spending my Monday evening contemplating the greatness of The Johns Hopkins University while drinking some Martell Cordon Bleu when I came upon this question:

Does any potential presidential candidate in America have a better resume than Wes Moore?

After all, the guy lost his father at the age of 3 (hello soft-heart voters);

spent time growing up in the Bronx (hello New York primary);

is African American (hello, South Carolina primary);

is part Cuban (hello, Florida);

Graduated HS and junior college at the Valley Forge Military Academy (hello, Pennsylvania);

served in the 82nd Airborne as a captain and saw combat duty in Afghanistan (hello, veterans vote);

was an early member and board member of the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (hello, patriots vote and shield against gun nuts);

graduated from Johns Hopkins and the University of Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar (hello suburban educated voters);

worked as an investment banker in Manhattan (real business experience);

led a non-profit organization (hello liberals);

has a lovely fashion-trendy wife and two good-looking kids (hello Obama fans); and

is now the Governor of Maryland (hello voters who want real political experience).

Plus, he’s a pretty good speaker (but a bit too polished if you ask me … he needs to work on keeping his stump speeches “real”).

Pretty much checks all the boxes. Just needs to keep away from scandal and stay faithful to his wife.

It’s hard not to see him being elected president some day.

Ok, back to the Cordon Bleu ….

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Re: Gov. Wes Moore: Does Any Potential Presidential Candidate Have a Better Resume?

Post by youthathletics »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:14 am As is my usual custom, I was spending my Monday evening contemplating the greatness of The Johns Hopkins University while drinking some Martell Cordon Bleu when I came upon this question:

Does any potential presidential candidate in America have a better resume than Wes Moore?

Graduated HS and junior college at the Valley Forge Military Academy (hello, Pennsylvania);

served in the 82nd Airborne as a captain and saw combat duty in Afghanistan (hello, veterans vote);

was an early member and board member of the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (hello, patriots vote and shield against gun nuts);

graduated from Johns Hopkins and the University of Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar (hello suburban educated voters);

has a lovely fashion-trendy wife and two good-looking kids (hello Obama fans); and

is now the Governor of Maryland (hello voters who want real political experience).

Plus, he’s a pretty good speaker (but a bit too polished if you ask me … he needs to work on keeping his stump speeches “real”).

Pretty much checks all the boxes. Just needs to keep away from scandal and stay faithful to his wife.

DocBarrister 8-)
Give Armagnac a try, I find it much more complex than Cognac. I am currently working on a bottle of Delord BAS XO, you will not be disappointed.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DocBarrister

Re: Gov. Wes Moore: Does Any Potential Presidential Candidate Have a Better Resume?

Post by DocBarrister »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:08 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:14 am As is my usual custom, I was spending my Monday evening contemplating the greatness of The Johns Hopkins University while drinking some Martell Cordon Bleu when I came upon this question:

DocBarrister 8-)
Give Armagnac a try, I find it much more complex than Cognac. I am currently working on a bottle of Delord BAS XO, you will not be disappointed.
That’s an excellent suggestion. Thanks!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

this is absolutely insane. Initial reports are that the ship lost "propulsion" Did the ship also lose the ability to drop anchor or steer?

It literally was a direct hit in the ship was on fire prior to hitting the pillar, causing the collapse
very very strange
wonder if we'll ever ever learn anything about the "pilot"?

this is so big it deserves its own thread, but boy or boy will this affect the Amazon company in a huge way
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:43 am
this is absolutely insane. Initial reports are that the ship lost "propulsion" Did the ship also lose the ability to drop anchor or steer?

It literally was a direct hit in the ship was on fire prior to hitting the pillar, causing the collapse
very very strange

this is so big it deserves its own thread, but boy or boy will this affect the Amazon company in a huge way
Large cargo ships are governed by inertia. Can't turn or stop very quickly.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:10 am

very very strange

inertia applies to every single size ship, and Einstein's theory applies to all accordingly

What' your physics problem doesn't explain the steering and the direction that the big giant cargo ship on fire was headed

sounds reasonable to have cargo ships that are steered via screws alone with no rudder , especially around our nations infrastructure

this is going to make the Philly bridge collapse on 95. Look like child's play this is a major major disaster.

unfortunately, those addicted to their cell phone have already made it a "political" thing

there is $1 billion for railroad security in the most recent bill, but haven't got around to our port of entry overall in that budget for security

fix stupid mandatory two tugboats until your past the Bay Bridge. Then you can go on your own and head down south. especially for rudderless cargo ships.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:32 am

very very strange

inertia applies to every single size ship, and Einstein's theory applies to all accordingly

What' your physics problem doesn't explain the steering and the direction that the big giant cargo ship on fire was headed

sounds reasonable to have cargo ships that are steered via screws alone with no rudder , especially around our nations infrastructure

this is going to make the Philly bridge collapse on 95. Look like child's play this is a major major disaster.

unfortunately, those addicted to their cell phone have already made it a "political" thing

there is $1 billion for railroad security in the most recent bill, but haven't got around to our port of entry overall in that budget for security

fix stupid mandatory two tugboats until your past the Bay Bridge. Then you can go on your own and head down south. especially for rudderless cargo ships.
Ah yes. Hindsight. But all of the beancounting MBAs, in their infinite wisdom, when assessing risk, looked at what they felt the probability of such an event, regardless of impact, and decided that such an obvious mitigation was too expensive. And it was ... until it wasn't.

Sucks to be everyone who will be impacted by that remarkably poor bit of risk analysis...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:45 pm

very very strange

Ah yes. Hindsight. But all of the beancounting MBAs, in their infinite wisdom, when assessing risk, looked at what they felt the probability of such an event, regardless of impact, and decided that such an obvious mitigation was too expensive. And it was ... until it wasn't.

Sucks to be everyone who will be impacted by that remarkably poor bit of risk analysis...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

.... even 1 tugboat could have made a big difference.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Not sure one or even three tugs would have been able to do anything for a ship that big and heavy. Nearly 1,000 feet long.

We'll see a lot of early speculation though, that's for sure.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:42 pm Not sure one or even three tugs would have been able to do anything for a ship that big and heavy. Nearly 1,000 feet long.

We'll see a lot of early speculation though, that's for sure.
This bridge and much of '70s infra weren't designed for current operational requirements. Expect more incidents like this one. Wait until they are the result of advertence...
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:45 pm

very very strange

Has the "hindsight" , ya know, from the people allegadely in charge, brought about substantial change ?

Those poor bridge workers that perished......La Casa of Maryland, a group I donate too, often, hopefully, will put a big hurting on the concrete patching company. Pretty sure, the company that got the contract, was following ALL applicable laws, starting with OSHA. :roll: :roll:

Mahn.....they can't even give the names of two of the dead, but, as an aside, since this IS a Federal Highway, EVERIFY was in place to make the employees were/are "legal" ?

RIGHT !

Return to “POLITICS”